Thread: Windows 8??

Windows 8??

out of sheer boredom i was wanting to try to instal the beta windows 8..

will it work with wow??

thanks!

you never know if it´s a beta, but it probably should do yeah. If you can´t open programs with your operative system, it´s a really really bad OS

Deleted
    does it work with virtual box? otherwise i would probably install windows 8 on another hard drive so you don´t fuck everything up :P

Deleted
    Windows 8 will run the live version of wow, however it will not run the beta. I reinstalled windows 7 tho 2 and a half weeks ago, so the beta might run now.

Off topic, I found windows 8 to have some nice features but absolutely hated switching back and forth from metro to legacy(aero) all the time. It was quite the headache and resulted in me switching back to 7. I would much rather be in metro the whole time(even tho its deffinately not desktop oriented) than the constant(and I do mean constant) swapping.

Deleted
    Yea Windows 8 feels much more snappy, Like Xp response compared to Vista/7's slight random lag spikes. Tho i HATE the crappy new start menu. The Xbox got flamed when it started using Metro advert spam as its interface and Windows is even worse for it.

Replacing the start menu with an "ad serving platform" will crash windows into the ground...

Deleted
    I am currently using Windows 8 Consumer Preview, since it's free. Every program I have works without problem (including WoW), however I cannot say I am a fan of Windows 8 compared to Windows 7, except for the boot time.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been dual booting Windows 8 using a VHD as to not risk losing / losing my Win7 install, there are a few minor upgrades in 8 i do like but unless MS rethinks the metro interface I will be skipping the upgrade.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by laukond View Post
    I am currently using Windows 8 Consumer Preview, since it's free. Every program I have works without problem (including WoW), however I cannot say I am a fan of Windows 8 compared to Windows 7, except for the boot time.
    Even the MoP beta?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dologalot View Post
    Even the MoP beta?
    I do not play MoP beta, but my guess would definitely be that it would work, since you can set the compatibility mode to Windows 7, if it does not work without doing that.

Deleted
    Yep, I think that it works, too.
    I've never tried though!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am currently running W8 CP.
    And tbh, I love it! Feels alot quicker then W7.
    While I do agree that metro is somewhat meh, I kinda love it now.
    Took some time to set it up and make it work the way I wanted, but now. It's wierd not having it on my W7.

And as some of you have been asking, I'm able to run MoP beta perfectly fine on W8 CP.

windows 8 is complete garbage. it's not even projected to do well, critics don't like the "cell phone interface" and it's not just a step back but it's like microsoft wants you to hate them.

just don't. one of the first rules in life you should learn is that newer isn't better. people were expecting a lot from whatever succeeded win7 and win8 isn't it.

all the folks who think it 'feels quicker' want to like it. they want it to 'feel quicker and be better' but it's just not. i've never been more disappointed with a piece of software. i honestly don't know wtf they're even talking about with vista/7 lagspikes. sounds like a computer problem they want to blame on their os
    Last edited by fizzbob; 2012-04-23 at 09:59 PM.

I own a windows 7 tablet (Samsung series 7) which I use all the time, for notes in classes,watching movies, browsing the web etc. I personally believe that forecasters are underestimating the potential of Windows 8, as the windows OS is so much more sophisticated than Android or iOS5, and has functionality outside of just being a glorified portable media player, especially for work and gaming. l see Windows 8 maybe getting off to a hesitant start, but I believe it will grow to dominate the tablet and PC market.

10+ Year Old Account
    No doubt Windows 8 will be great for tablets / mobiles which is what it seems to be designed for.

Most of the users on this forum though will be looking at it from a Desktop PC/Laptop point of view as opposed to a tablet or mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    No doubt Windows 8 will be great for tablets / mobiles which is what it seems to be designed for.

Most of the users on this forum though will be looking at it from a Desktop PC/Laptop point of view as opposed to a tablet or mobile.
    True, but it still is looking like it will be an improvement for the desktop/laptop format over windows 7, although maybe only a minor one. It seems Microsoft is innovating less as far as the current concept of a desktop computer is concerned, and more in the direction of touch interfaces and power efficiency. I think this is the direction personal computers are heading and in the next few years we will see an evolution to more fluid interfaces, and (efficient) powerful mobile computing.

10+ Year Old Account
    It will work with WoW just not the Beta, I had to remove Windows 8 though. You will encounter problems if you use Ventrilo with Windows 8. Otherwise, WoW works fine =]
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

I'm sure commercially Windows 8 will be a smash hit, since it seems to me they are focused on the tablet and mobile market, and they know full well that it's crap for desktops. Personally I will be giving Windows 8 a skip, and hope that their next OS is targeted towards the desktop market instead.

I know this can work as an alternative to not having a way to disable metro: http://lee-soft.com/vistart/ ... In the developer preview you could disable it, in the consumer preview you can't, the start menu was scrapped. I wouldn't count on it coming back.