Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

generations and respect, entitlement, "Drama"

So this is a discussion, but bare with me. I have become increasingly disgusted with people of my age, the petty arguments, the "drama" and, the music, and the lack of respect given towards each other,older folk, and authority. I have not had an easy life by far, and have way more life*experiences*then most people of my age. Let me give you an example of what I mean.

A group of people from my high school walked out of a pizza place*and pretty much slammed the door in an elderly couples face. When the older gentle men*approached*them and demanded an*apology*the told him to "slip in a grave" spit and his shoes and walked away. Needless to say I was stunned. After that the older*gentlemen*and his wife sat down at a bench so he could have a pipe, I walked over and had a cigarette and talked with the gentlemen for about 20 minutes about how the lack of respect to the elderly and authority and general lack of respect towards your peers has gone down the drain.*

Next point the "Drama" as they like to call it. I cannot see how someones Boyfriend talking or looking at another persons girlfriend*constitutes*a screaming match and then a fist fight. I just can't understand why people need to fight,act disrespectful, and just be general douche bags. It blows my mind. When I see people bicker over such small things it makes me feel very old, and I'm only 18. I just see no point in*purposely*disrespecting people, fighting, and "Drama".

I believe it is because alot of people*aren't*raised correctly by*their*parents, or something else with there up*bringing.

Also the sense of entitlement, I over heard quite a few people in the halls saying things along the lines of "Ugh my dad only bought me a 2009 dodge ram not the 2012.". I think to my self your lucky you got anything. I had to save and wait and save and wait, to get a 26 year old truck that*doesn't*even run correctly.

Now I don't believe its just my generation that does these things, I'm sure the baby boomers where complete jerks too. But when will people learn to respect each other, loose there sense of entitlement, and stop all this so called "Drama"?
    doh my god....

"don't look back, it's a trap, it a fact, it's a booby trap booby trap" - The Dickies

Deleted
    They will never stop, not in our lifetimes anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    They will never stop, not in our lifetimes anyway.
    God I hope your wrong.
    doh my god....

"don't look back, it's a trap, it a fact, it's a booby trap booby trap" - The Dickies

Deleted
    They won't.*

Kill them with fire.*

Meh, our generation just loves to "have fun" and cause drama. Our society nowadays is too centralized around violent/dramatic Television shows and all the nonsense that goes on on the internet. Majority of kids listen to music that's about "sex", "money", getting drunk, having fun/partying. Technology has had a huge impact on our generation and that's where I believe this behavior comes from.
    Miranda Rights: Miranda has the right to a decent man to help her raise her baby.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by holyforce View Post
    God I hope your wrong.
    If anything it will get worse. I never got my first mobile phone until I was 17 and working, i had to buy it myself. Nowadays I have seen children complaining that they do not have the latest model Ipad, heaven forbid they are made to suffer with an Ipad 1 rather than an Ipad 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    If as you said you had a harder life than most then i think that's why. I have similar complaints and when people look at my life NOW they assume i always had a fairly easy life when i did not. Unless being locked in a room that reeks of urine with the walls eaten away by urine counts as easy and that while being among the wordt is by no means the end then yeah i had an easy life.

But i think my point is character our generation lacks it. Having an even semi difficult life i feel can bring out character. It's an old concept yea but i think it's what is lacking. By having to overcome problems and troubles we grow but REAL troubles seem to be fairly rare for our generation thus the sense of entitlement.

i am with you man, i hate our generation, im happy with what i have, if my family decides to help me out with my car/appartment or just in life i always thank them and help them when i can.

as for music, i listen to everything, i cant listen to the "thug rap" its awfull, but i listen to dubstep and rock and what not, music is music and people are going to be who they are.

most of our generation need to have a near death experience so they actually apprieciate what they have and who they have in their lives.

im 23 in NY, i did not grow up rich or poor. my family was middle class. I got my first cell phone when i was 16 and it was a old one my mom had, when i was 17 my father bought me a car and it was a 1979 Buick Regal the paint was scratched and kinda pealing, the transmission was going, he handed me the keys and every sunday we would spend the day fixing it up. i thanked him everyday for that car and for helping me, and thank my mom for my phone(now i get a new phone free upgrade program with verizon every year) and the wonderful dinners she makes.
    Last edited by ninjapaws; 2012-03-09 at 11:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you mean of the current generation, as in teens to early twentysomethings... That wear fake glasses to look "nedrier" and drive Scions? The "internet generation"?

I've never seen that group take the piss out of anyone, hell they hardly look up from their phones or even go outside.

---------- Post added 2012-03-09 at 11:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ninjapaws View Post
    I got my first cell phone when i was 16 and it was a old one my mom had, when i was 17 my father bought me a car and it was a 1979 Buick Regal the paint was scratched and kinda pealing, the transmission was going, he handed me the keys and every sunday we would spend the day fixing it up. i thanked him everyday for that car and for helping me, and thank my mom for my phone(now i get a new phone free upgrade program with verizon every year) and the wonderful dinners she makes.
    The '84 Regal was better, but those 70's land yachts have a certain charm if done right, especially if they had any kind of V8.
    Last edited by Primernova; 2012-03-09 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    The '84 Regal was better, but those 70's land yachts have a certain charm if done right, especially if they had any kind of V8.
    heh i was just happy i had a car that ran(if i was lucky, some days in teh winter i be unlucky and it wouldnt start, we eventually fixed that problem)

why should i have more or less respect towards the elderly compared to those my age or those middle aged... I would not do a thing like to an elderly nor a person my age...

Applaud to the elder that dared approach a group of 18 year olds and demand decency. (I'll assume it is OPs peers, correct me if I'm wrong)
    As sad it must sound, if it would have happened in my town, that old guy could have been seriously hurt.

Stay safe in public areas, the human species do not have mutual respect if there is no personal gain.
    The personal gain doesn't have to be much, for many a smile or the acknowledgement of their existence is enough, or an "thank you" after providing a helping hand.
    It could also just be something as basic as, "you stay out of my way, and I'll respect you space too."

Please don't use our culture for a reason behind the violence and generally bad behavior by retards, if they really are compelled to act on what they hear, read or watch, they are already severely brain-damage and hangs on the balance of a form of psychosis.
    I watch brutal stuff, frequently come across some nasty gore on the Internet.
    I "died" for around 8 mins, after i was born because of complications, that I cannot describe in English hence not native language nor is it really important.
    That my brain was affected by, the doctors told my parents I would grow up as a vegetable, best case scenario: very brain-retarded.

How did I turn out? If anything just remotely close that our culture is even playing a part in how we act around each other, I should be a full blown serial killer.

I'm 2 years away from being a math professor, so far I've only killed.. brain cells I guess. (Albert fish style.)
    I puke every single time, people use that excuse for bad behavior. Hitler played chess, is it the chess-industry's fault he turned out that way?
    People are clearly in total control, and if not, we got institutions or prisons for them.
    Last edited by lørup; 2012-03-09 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Oh and sorry for slight derail near the end there, OP just read my first paragraphs and be a happy penguin!

15+ Year Old Account
    The actions you describe are non-existent*in my school (15-18 year).*
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    why should i have more or less respect towards the elderly compared to those my age or those middle aged... I would not do a thing like to an elderly nor a person my age...
    I'm pretty confused by this thread myself.

Any generation, a single person or group, can be shitty to other people at large. One of the the things I like about the youth of today is their lack of drama and willingness to try to get grassroots movements going, even if it's mostly, "attention whoring" which it is, let's not kid ourselves; it can encite change though, which is good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    I'm pretty confused by this thread myself.

Any generation, a single person or group, can be shitty to other people at large. One of the the things I like about the youth of today is their lack of drama and willingness to try to get grassroots movements going, even if it's mostly, "attention whoring" which it is, let's not kid ourselves; it can encite change though, which is good.
    This. I'm pretty sure there are a million quotes about how every generation thinks the next generation is worse than any before.

So this is a discussion, but bare with me. I have become increasingly disgusted with people of my age, the petty arguments, the "drama" and, the music, and the lack of respect given towards each other,older folk, and authority. I have not had an easy life by far, and have way more life*experiences*then most people of my age. Let me give you an example of what I mean.
    You can't judge others unless you know the whole story.

A group of people from my high school walked out of a pizza place*and pretty much slammed the door in an elderly couples face. When the older gentle men*approached*them and demanded an*apology*the told him to "slip in a grave" spit and his shoes and walked away. Needless to say I was stunned. After that the older*gentlemen*and his wife sat down at a bench so he could have a pipe, I walked over and had a cigarette and talked with the gentlemen for about 20 minutes about how the lack of respect to the elderly and authority and general lack of respect towards your peers has gone down the drain.*
    This has been happening for a long, long time. I believe even the Roman's and Greeks commented on the lack of respect youth have for their elders. I believe it's called "Trying to show dominance". Still a real dickish thing to do but I don't really think it's unique to our generation.

Next point the "Drama" as they like to call it. I cannot see how someones Boyfriend talking or looking at another persons girlfriend*constitutes*a screaming match and then a fist fight. I just can't understand why people need to fight,act disrespectful, and just be general douche bags. It blows my mind. When I see people bicker over such small things it makes me feel very old, and I'm only 18. I just see no point in*purposely*disrespecting people, fighting, and "Drama".
    People would duel over such things, on horses with lances or with handguns. And for even more minor reasons. Again however yes I understand the frustration as you've been brought up well and don't understand the behaviour.

I believe it is because alot of people*aren't*raised correctly by*their*parents, or something else with there up*bringing.
    This is a point I strongly however do agree on. There seems to be a real lack of social and parental responsibility in our generation (I'm 10 years older than you) in comparison to previous generations, or at least it's more prevalent and obvious.

Also the sense of entitlement, I over heard quite a few people in the halls saying things along the lines of "Ugh my dad only bought me a 2009 dodge ram not the 2012.". I think to my self your lucky you got anything. I had to save and wait and save and wait, to get a 26 year old truck that*doesn't*even run correctly.

Now I don't believe its just my generation that does these things, I'm sure the baby boomers where complete jerks too. But when will people learn to respect each other, loose there sense of entitlement, and stop all this so called "Drama"?
    When we're dead, unfortunately. I know the feeling. I had to buy my first car - it's 14 years old now - myself, and it's a god damned wreck! And I can afford better now i'm older and working, but I'm attached lol. Some people are just spoilt. Again it's always been the case. You need to learnt to not take it personally and not be affected by it. There are still a lot of decent people in the world.

I totally agree with you, I'm 17 and feel so many people around my age are very disrespectful to others, where did all the manners go? Seems that most of this generation expects everything handed to them these days and think they're better than everyone else, it's all *look at me! I think I'm so cool* BS. I got my first mobile phone in at 15 (Nokia 2600 classic prepaid) and nowadays you see really young people with Iphones, etc on a plan most likely paid for by their parents and even then they whine about not having the latest tech, be grateful for what others give to you from their money.

In all my years, I can tell you that the elderly are the most rude group of people i've ever known.

Last month, I was doing some food shopping and every single old person was cutting the lines, pushing in front, several times someone rammed their shopping trolley into me, telling me: "MOVE IT!"

If they were a younger male, I'd have punched them square in the face, instead I just smiled calling them a ****.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thornar View Post
    In all my years, I can tell you that the elderly are the most rude group of people i've ever known.

Last month, I was doing some food shopping and every single old person was cutting the lines, pushing in front, several times someone rammed their shopping trolley into me, telling me: "MOVE IT!"

If they were a younger male, I'd have punched them square in the face, instead I just smiled calling them a ****.
    I agree that the elderly can be complete pricks too, being old does not entitle you to special treatment or respect. I try to treat everybody in a polite manner, but when they are rude to me I cannot help but abuse them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate to sound cliche, but that whole "Be the change" thing is worthwhile. When some little shit gets nasty with an older guy and you don't like it, put yourself in the middle of it. It works. I'm not sure how many life lessons the assholes take from it, but I can assure you that anything against my sense of decency simply doesn't happen near me without consequences.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.