Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It's peoples home-life...thats where it all starts. It's not like this in ALL cases, but in the majority of cases...bullies for example...they're generally bullied at home by older/stronger people in their family...when people in their own family don't respect them do you think they'll have any respect for strangers? People with stable lives at home in the family do not act so outrageous in public...it's the ones with broken homes. Whenever I see douchebag likes this I can't help but feel sorry for them....because they've prob had massive issues in their families, like a dad that beats them up....or never had a dad around...or they were molested/bashed by their parents/uncles....thats how I see it lol. Or they're just people who hate life and just want to cause annoyance and pain for others so they drag people down to their own sad level. No worth-while human being acts that way...stay away from these people...just ignore them...and /pity at their life.
    Last edited by primusl0l; 2012-03-09 at 12:18 PM.

Deleted
    As to the first example (disrespecting the elderly); I'm not sure how often it happened before but I guess this increased alot over the last 10-15 years.

It hugely depends on time and location however. Take for example my old college town. I used to travel alot by subway/tram. In the morning there always were alot of young people who helped the elderly, disabled or mothers with baby carriages to get on. However if you traveled in the evenings/nights (especially friday and saturday) alot of people were drunk, unfriendly, loud and even aggressive.

As for the second example; I don't think this is any different than before. Stuff like barfights over "Why are you looking at my GF?!" didn't increase much (at least not in my experience). But maybe that was a somewhat bad exmaple.
    I do think people are alot whinier in general (if you meant that by drama) especially because of the internet and all the sharing tools. The development is rather simple. If 1000 "friends" feign sympathy whenever you whine this is a simple encouragement process.

I also notice the "I am entitled to this" - attitude in children alot more. I cannot tell if this is a recent development but I guess it is.

Deleted
    The reason you feel like its younger people acting badly, is partly because you are around them a lot more, if your work as a place with direct contact with people, you will notice that their is idiots in any age groups, and i personaly think that ive had more problems with people 30-40 than under.

It doesnt only have something to do how your raised, your parents are never the only people to have an effect on who you will become. And its easy to hang out with "bad" people, without them knowing, even if they want to. You cant blame parents for all, some people are just jerks because they are, no need to put more into it.

---------- Post added 2012-03-09 at 01:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gend View Post
    As to the first example (disrespecting the elderly); I'm not sure how often it happened before but I guess this increased alot over the last 10-15 years.

I also notice the "I am entitled to this" - attitude in children alot more. I cannot tell if this is a recent development but I guess it is.
    I think your right in the first one here, i think things changed a bit, so people arent getting respected as much because of age but i also think thats because less and less elderly will be people that worked their body into pieces in the fields for 50 years, so you dont automaticly have that same respect for them (theory).

About the children, with this easy upbringing most of us have, where both parents work, and money is never really a problem, its natural that you will be less respectful towards things, you feel like you should have a lot more than you really should, because your used to at home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    I hate to sound cliche, but that whole "Be the change" thing is worthwhile. When some little shit gets nasty with an older guy and you don't like it, put yourself in the middle of it. It works. I'm not sure how many life lessons the assholes take from it, but I can assure you that anything against my sense of decency simply doesn't happen near me without consequences.
    See I thought about intervening, I'm 6'5 and decently built, but there was about 5 of them and though I am a strong guy. I couldn't beat down 5 guys near-ish my size.
    doh my god....

"don't look back, it's a trap, it a fact, it's a booby trap booby trap" - The Dickies

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by holyforce View Post
    See I thought about intervening, I'm 6'5 and decently built, but there was about 5 of them and though I am a strong guy. I couldn't beat down 5 guys near-ish my size.
    The point is less about beating them all down, and more about making them aware that there are consequences for their actions. When I was still in high school, I got in a fight with 6 people. Got my ass handed to me. After a discussion with my dad about what to do about it, we hit on a solution: destroy one of them. More if you can, but focus on one because you can't beat them all. So the next time it happened, I did. I crushed one of them, while the other 5 beat the shit out of me. The next time, only five showed up. The next time, 4. That was enough. I guess the other 3 didn't like their odds of being the "chosen one" on the next go around.

The point is, you can lose and still make an impression. You can effect real change on real people. Just be aware that it's going to hurt to do so. Change is never gentle.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

Deleted
    The point is less about beating them all down, and more about making them aware that there are consequences for their actions. When I was still in high school, I got in a fight with 6 people. Got my ass handed to me. After a discussion with my dad about what to do about it, we hit on a solution: destroy one of them. More if you can, but focus on one because you can't beat them all. So the next time it happened, I did. I crushed one of them, while the other 5 beat the shit out of me. The next time, only five showed up. The next time, 4. That was enough. I guess the other 3 didn't like their odds of being the "chosen one" on the next go around.

The point is, you can lose and still make an impression. You can effect real change on real people. Just be aware that it's going to hurt to do so. Change is never gentle.
    Or you pick on the wrong group and get kicked to death or stabbed. Taking on a group is never a good idea.

As I have gotten older (just turned 30), I seem to lose more and more patience for my fellow man. My patience for the way we treat each other, and the petty things our lives are consumed with, has gone out the window. I will spare the forums the rest of my rant.

But suffice to say that my parents are awesome, I have had a difficult life (to say the least) when in comparison to my friends and family, and I have still turned out to be a relatively decent and caring person (according to my shrink). My father and I talk about this constantly; the entitlement, lack of accountability and general douche-baggery in the world. The ultimate conclusion? Every generation feels like the same way about the next generation following them.

Take notice of how many people read and responded to this thread, and the wide range of ages. Surround yourself with good friends and family. Ignore the jerks to the best of your ability. If you see something like that outrages you, say something (within reason, and if it won't put yourself in danger). Be careful out there; you never know who might have a gun...

10+ Year Old Account
    I've mentioned this in other threads round these parts, but it warrents saying again.

My wife is a teacher (5th~6th grade). Hardly a day goes by that she doesn't tell me that we as a society in general are raising a bunch of disrespectful pussies. I tend to agree.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We live in the age of spoilt brats which has created a society that becomes more and more whiney. People, especially young peoples these days, need to realise they are not entitled to everything. Not entitled to a nice car, not entitled to an amazing job and not entitled to the newest Apple products. They are not above 'menial' jobs such as being a cleaner or working at McDonalds. The sooner they realise this, the better.

Deleted
    It's not just your generation, it's just teenagers. Spoilt, self-absorbed teenagers at that. They may still grow up to be honest and good human beings, and reflect on how much of a douche they were when they were younger. Or they may not. It's the hormones, they screw with your head. When they get older and realise they are not immortal and that being nice to people is way cooler than being a twat. Then they will look at the younger generation and complain about attitudes. To the OP you are not alone. There are good young people who value morals etc. but generally they have to have been through hard stuff to realise.

10+ Year Old Account
    But when will people learn to respect each other, loose there sense of entitlement, and stop all this so called "Drama"?
    People won't stop acting like people.

Im a 33 y/o teacher at a middle school in the US....trust me its only getting worse my friends...much, much, worse.

Bring back corporal punishment I say !

Seriously. I left high school on the last year of corporal punishement. At my school out of 900 pupils there were maybe a dozen "bad kids". Even they rarely went against the teachers who they knew would hand out the belt as a punishement for misbehaviour. Teachers we knew were against the belt even the "good kids" would rip the piss out of them.

My first job when I left high school was as a trainee social worker. First day of the belt being illegal to use any more. The first thing I saw that morning were kids barging into teachers and even spitting on them in the hall.

This is all in the UK where we supposedly have a reputation for being polite the world over. Are we feck ! The attitude of the youth of today truly disgusts me. I can't even remember the last time someone said "excuse me" to get passed instead od just barging through withou word of apology. Recently I saw some 25+ guy sit rigidly in the disabled/elderly seat of the bus while some poor old woman with crutches (easily in her 80's) try to balance herself (and yes ofc i gave her my seat instead).

Naughty step work on the under fives. Nothign short of beating the living crap out of them seems to have any affect on a teenager and, ofc, we're not allowed to do that anymore. Weird thing is. As a kid at school i was fundamentally against corporal punishement. Seeing the results all these years later though !

I work in the Highways department for my local council. The elderly are the most arrogant group of self-righteous, entitled dicks I have ever had to put up with--and a big part of their attitude stems from the fact that they feel superior to me because they "pay my wages."

By their logic, I also pay my own wages. I think they think we don't pay taxes or something.

The rest of it, though, is a belief that since they're older than me, that they instantly and automatically know better. They wouldn't be as rude as they are to me when dealing with a business, because businesses reserve the right to cut you off mid-call if you're being a dick to their staff--whereas if we don't endure the angry tirade of the latest jackass to call us up and get the details of the problem they're reporting and someone gets themselves hurt, it's our fault.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

On one hand the world is always becoming a better place; the average standard of living world wide continues to go up, contrary to the bs of "the poor are getting poorer."

As a result people also become more spoiled and more entitled feeling. My grandparents for instance; The were poor in a time when being poor meant being poorly fed, they survived World War 2 in europe, They worked their butts off just to make ends meet; because you could still work full time and be considered impoverished in those days, but scraped every penny together and moved to Canada so that they could take advantage of the opportunity available here. The same generation of the other side of my family, being aboriginal, saw great racist bullshit hardships inflicted upon them by the Residential School debacle.

Now I see kids wearing designer clothes, with their pants half way around their ankles, tweeting from their iphones about how they are victims of the system and so poor; yet they eat 3 meals a day and have access to luxuries the uber-rich of my grandparents days couldn't even dream of. (These are the poor of today.) People cry about racism but racism has been dwindled down to childish name-calling in the first world, and when it goes beyond that it is rightly dealt with. They'll never have to know, first hand, the horrors of Residential Schools, Internment Camps, the KKK, because take anybody who has ever experienced it; and I gaurantee you they'll take a billion Don Imus's over what they took.

The world is becoming an increasingly awesome place to live; but somewhere along the way some liberal idiot made it look cool to be a victim, so there is this notion of victimization and entitlement. Rodney King, was a victim. Those little Punk-ass thugs limping down the street making retarded hand gestures, are little punk-ass thugs limping down the street making retarded hand gestures, not victims.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Or you pick on the wrong group and get kicked to death or stabbed. Taking on a group is never a good idea.
    You could. You could sit and complain in forum posts about the state of the world and the attitude of people around you, and you'll be totally safe from harm. Or you could start changing the people around you for the better.

I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    The world is like that, some people anyway. Just gotta stick with the ones that don't make you want to smash your head against a wall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    The world is like that, some people anyway.
    Very right. And this might be why:

Edit: and it's Henry Rollins.

I'd also like to add that the gene discussed is not an excuse. I'm naturally a fairly violent person, but I aim it to good ends (defending people that need it and such) so in my very biased opinion, violent =/= %100 bad.
    Last edited by KingHorse; 2012-03-10 at 02:40 AM.

Deleted
    You could. You could sit and complain in forum posts about the state of the world and the attitude of people around you, and you'll be totally safe from harm. Or you could start changing the people around you for the better.

I pick my battles wisely, I have done 2 tours of Aghanistan and have never lost anyone under my command. I am crazy and paranoid but I only choose the battles I can win.

I'd say that's because most of them are spoiled little shits who have had everything handed to them and never had to work for anything.