Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

I can't believe I may be caving to this hype...

Okay. First things first, I played WoW from the day it came out in Vanilla until Firelands in Cataclysm released and quit. I went to TERA and I've heard of nothing but GW2's superiority in the last few months over every other MMORPG competitor. I believe (and still believe) that the game will fare similarly numbers wise to every single other modern MMORPG released in the past 8 years or so, though this doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game - I don't believe in a "WoW-killer".

I've seen a handful of videos, and I've skimmed that big "uninitiated" thread. This goes out to everyone who has extensive experience in the beta, I would like skeptics, haters, and lovers alike to share their thoughts...I am absolutely a fresh ear to this. I have no preconceived notions or any opinions to go off of. I have no friends that have played beta.

Is this game it? Does its PvP really stand out as much as its puffing its chest up to do so? Is its PvE tacked on and mediocre as a result? What's the skill cap on the characters seeing as everyone literally only gets like 8 moves (something like that?).

Introduce me to why this game may capture me and be the best choice I ever made (before I pre-purchase it).

(I am a PvPer, but I do take a liking to well thought out and challenging PvE content)
    Last edited by Zipzo; 2012-07-31 at 09:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    O_o

I would just say that nobody can tell you why you'd like the game. You'd have to try it and see.

Skill in this game is beyond just what you see on your action bar. Although you only have 10 skills on your action bar, the first 5 are decided by which weapon you equip, and every class has ways to change those first 5, either by swapping to a different weapon, or in the case of Elementalist and Engineer swapping to a different attunement/kit. The last 5 are each selected specifically by you out of a pool of skills that go into that slot. And then you also have 70 trait points to spend in your trait tree, which adds a whole 'nother level of complexity in altering how your skills function, and then you also have what stat allocation you decide to go for with your gear, down to your runes and sigils.
    Then you have to look at how several of your skills are either combo fields or combo finishers, and so may interact with combo fields/finishers from other players in interesting ways.

So how you build your character and how well you are capable of using that build is going to be a big part of your skill.

The only thing GW2 doesn't have that WoW does is exclusive competitive PvE content. That doesn't mean a lack of challenging content, that just means no raids. You'll still get big epic boss fights, as well as incredibly difficult 5-mans.
    If you're a major PvP fanatic, GW2 will definitely be a fun experience for you. Their goal is to make this an eSport.

And just for the record: This game's hype ain't so big as everybody thinks. Go ask your average gamers on the street if they've heard of Guild Wars 2. Now go ask if he's heard of WoW. Or SWTOR. You'd be surprised just how few people actually know about GW2.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-07-27 at 05:00 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

What do you mean by "it" exactly? That seems too loose to answer one way or another.

Subjectively I would say PVP and PVE are fun, fresh and well executed. But that isn't really worth a whole lot.

To some degree the PVE is far more evolutionary in the genre than GW2's PVP aspects. PVP isn't that apart from what was seen in the previous games of the franchise. So it's less a of quantum leap for PVP in MMOs. PVE on the other hand is pretty novel in it's presentation with only a few cruder examples of similar overworld PVE content; Warhammer, FF11, Rift, EQ, AC.

PVE has a fairly strong sandbox feel... yet. The game isn't a true sandbox MMO such as Vanguard or Mortal, for example. For the most part, PVE is solidly designed at least based on what was available. Though there is not basis of reasoning to doubt the consistency of that content.

Given the game is very twitch/arcade based action, I would say the skill cap is higher than many other MMOs in terms of required reactions/recognition. Particularly in PVP, where knowing the other guy's "tells" is pretty much the basis of the gameplay.

For PVE, skill cap varies by profession and weapon choice. Combat is pretty straight forward and logical though-- you have a cripple, you have a channeled big damage CD, you have an armor debuff.... well now. It's not too tough to figure out what you are suppose to do. Doing it effectively is another matter.

Can't speak to the game "being the best choice you ever made"-- that seems rather absurd. No offense. Ideally you are playing many MMOs and experiencing many types of game modes to analyze and think critically about.

Is GW2 a solid, well made game? Objectively, yes. Will you enjoy it's idiosyncrasies? Who knows.

The game stands to have an interesting impact on the genre and market regardless. This is what is most intriguing about GW2.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-07-27 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zipzo View Post
    Okay. First things first, I played WoW from the day it came out in Vanilla until Firelands in Cataclysm released and quit. I went to TERA and bashed the hell out of GW2's hype. I believe (and still believe) that the game will fare similarly numbers wise to every single other modern MMORPG released in the past 8 years or so.
    Let's say for the sake of argument that you are right about the bolded part. My only question would be who the hell cares? I don't play games because they have 10 million other players. I play them because I like them. I would still be playing SWTOR despite its huge dropoff in players if I found it fun at max level but I do not.

I've seen a handful of videos, and I've skimmed that big "uninitiated" thread. This goes out to everyone who has extensive experience in the beta, I would like skeptics, haters, and lovers alike to share their thoughts...I am absolutely a fresh ear to this. I have no pre-conceived notions or any opinions to go off of. I have no friends that have played beta.

Is this game it? Does its PvP really stand out as much as its puffing its chest up to do so? Is its PvE tacked on and mediocre as a result? What's the skill cap on the characters seeing as everyone literally only gets like 8 moves (something like that?).
    I don't know if you ever played Dark Age of Camelot in it's heyday but if you did and you liked it, you will love the World vs. World pvp in GW2. It's like all the fun stuff from DAoC without the class imbalances, overpowered realm abilities and population imbalances. There are a whole lot more siege weapons than DAoC had and some other cool wrinkles too. I played that and I was instantly hooked on the game.

I haven't done much of the sPvP but it's basically setup where you can jump into at any point in your character's lifespan. No being outgeared by the basement dwellers that play the game 18 hours a day and no having to spend weeks leveling a character up that you only want to PvP with. Everyone is level 80 with all traits and skills unlocked and everyone has access to the same gear. Of course, having a level playing field in PvP will be like showing Dracula a cross to some people but as someone that has a job where I work 9-10 hours a day and other hobbies competing for my time, I love the concept.

As far as PvE goes, I don't feel it's tacked on at all. In fact, this is the first game I've played in a long, long time where I didn't feel like leveling my character was a chore. I'm sure some of that is because it's new and shiny but it honestly is refreshing not to have to go around fetching quests then go out and do a bunch of repetitive tasks to complete those quests. This is a game where you can truly play it any way you want to at any given time and that is awesome to me. Yeah, there is no raiding but I have always hated raiding anyway and I don't think raiding appeals to most players. I've always said that if you take away the uber loot, almost nobody would do raids and I stand by that theory still.

The lack of a trinity is also extremely appealing to me. Like most people, I like to play DPS classes. I also do not like PUGging in PvE whether it is a PUG formed with a LFG tool or the traditional way. That often left me sitting around hoping a tank and a healer would log on so we could do something. No more though, you put together a group of your friends that you know are competent and have at it. Again, that might not appeal to everyone (actually I know it won't) but it does to me in a big way.

Introduce me to why this game may capture and be the best choice I ever made (before I pre-purchase it).

(I am a PvPer, but I do take a liking to well thought out and challenging PvE content)
    If you're a PvPer, I think you will love this game. Whether you choose to do sPvP or WvW, you can basically start participating right away and never have to do any PvE unless you choose to. I guess that is the main point I'm driving at. Guild Wars 2 is a game that lets you the player play the game in any way you find fun. There are almost no gating mechanisms in the game to stop you from doing things. PvE content generally requires you gain a certain amount of levels to have a reasonable chance of success but that's about it. It's all up to you and honestly, what more can you ask for in a game?

Okay. First things first, I played WoW from the day it came out in Vanilla until Firelands in Cataclysm released and quit. I went to TERA and bashed the hell out of GW2's hype.
    I was a big WoW player, every toon at max level, and a big PvP junkie. Just like you I enjoy MMO's but was burnt out and do not like the direction they are going.

I first noticed GW2 because I am a graphic artist and their style was amazing. I saw the images first and googled it to find out it was concept art for a game called GW2. Ever since I have been reading up on the game and was hooked.

The BWE confirmed its the new game for me. Its not a huge ground breaking step from current MMO's but it does everything I'm used to better.

The PvP is not quite as playable as WoW, but I am currently putting this down to unexperrience with my chosen class. WvW is great fun, its the first time I've felt part of a HUGE battle with friends.

The biggest issue most people have is endgame but that's not a major concern for me, the game is subscription free and if I do complete the game quickly, PvP and levelling new alts, getting unique items for my main, ticking of global achievements will be enough.

IMO - its more than worth it. I can't wait to join a PvP guild and destroy people in WvW.
    Last edited by MrSerious; 2012-07-27 at 05:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i really hope the PvP will be at the scale and quality of Lineage 2 pvp.
    castle sieges and shit.
    500 v 500 in one big cave, etc.

good times

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    Let's say for the sake of argument that you are right about the bolded part. My only question would be who the hell cares? I don't play games because they have 10 million other players. I play them because I like them. I would still be playing SWTOR despite its huge dropoff in players if I found it fun at max level but I do not.
    I don't care. That's why I played Aion, Warhammer, Rift, SWTOR, and TERA. I gave them all a fair shot before dismissing them, but now that I've dismissed WoW, there's more on the line (having a regular game to play).

I wasn't a fan of the regearing slog in WoW, so being able to be on even turf at any point in GW2 sounds pretty damn appealing.

Lack of trinity I'm not a fan of. I like the trinity, even if it makes grouping a pain sometimes. It just adds a dynamic to grouping I'm not sure you can recreate without it, otherwise it just feels like everyone is mashing buttons and moving out of the way of stuff. Less of a coordination requisite.

I may have over stated slightly with "the best decision ever" comment, but what I meant really was, to not regret the pre-purchase :P

Has the PvP had any notable imbalances that have needed to be addressed so far? Any sign that they are absolutely dedicated to addressing critical PvP balance issues constantly as the game evolves? This was something that I loathed about WoW. When you have a competitive meta game as popular as WoW was, it bothered me to no end they would let certain criminalistic over powered-ness go on for so long before re-tuning or fixing the issues.

I was a PvP only player in WoW, i stopped playing like 5 months ago. Last month i gave a shot and bought a month, during this month i logged and did 2 BGs, that was all. Bye wow. So i tried GW2, and let me say im really glad i did. On the 2nd BW i played PvE only, got like lvl 30 and was fun, never playing wow i enjoyed the lvl up.

So in this last BW, i just did PvP, my god is fun. Imbalance u say, i remember only one, the guardian mace, was a sumon that like stunned you, but it was procng too much. And thats all.

the lil things are really cool 2. Spent 3 hours on this mini game.

Has the PvP had any notable imbalances that have needed to be addressed so far? Any sign that they are absolutely dedicated to addressing critical PvP balance issues constantly as the game evolves? This was something that I loathed about WoW. When you have a competitive meta game as popular as WoW was, it bothered me to no end they would let certain criminalistic over powered-ness go on for so long before re-tuning or fixing the issues.
    Well the thing right now is that this game is very action based, template dependent and takes quite a long time to kill someone 1v1. Its pretty hard to say if things are balanced or not (they probably aren't 100% balanced, thats impossible), some things feels "maybe thats over the top" but thats about it. Contrary to WoW theres A LOT MORE going on in gw2 pvp than in wow's. It also takes way longer to drop someone (unless you are a bursty class and you manage to land everything, which wont happen on good players who have a roll/stunbreak available). These two things make skill by far the current primary factor for pvp. With a little more time OP things may rise up for players reaching the skill cap.
    However, things are not entirely the same for everyone: some classes are better in groups, some are better in 1c1, some offer more support than others etc.

Impossible for me to say how fast they will tweak pvp, people that played gw1 may have a better answer for that.
    Last edited by rezoacken; 2012-07-27 at 05:33 AM.

Deleted
    We have been playing 10 days total , in these 3 betas
    Personal skill factor , is different among ppl (while some other like me , need some time )

Watch some thief youtube videos , rolfstomping some elementalist
    And then watch some elementalist , rolfstomping the thiefs ( or choose any other combination of classes u spot)
    Just be carefull the videos are from 20/07/12-till now
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-07-27 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayna View Post
    I was a PvP only player in WoW, i stopped playing like 5 months ago. Last month i gave a shot and bought a month, during this month i logged and did 2 BGs, that was all.
    Why only two BG's? What was it like? I'm curious because it was my disgust with PvP in WoW in the end that made me leave. They just couldn't balance the classes (after 7 YEARS of trying!!)

Hey lets give rogues legendary weapons with vial of shadows! Yeah great idea, that's not OP or anything. - idiots!

/edit just watched that video - I am so playing that game!!
    Last edited by MrSerious; 2012-07-27 at 05:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lack of trinity I'm not a fan of. I like the trinity, even if it makes grouping a pain sometimes. It just adds a dynamic to grouping I'm not sure you can recreate without it, otherwise it just feels like everyone is mashing buttons and moving out of the way of stuff. Less of a coordination requisite.
    You can create MORE dynamic without it, imo. People aren't restricted to doing one job: they have to do every job.

They didn't just "remove" tanks and healers: everybody tanks, heals, and damages. Big difference.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Larynx put together a great info thread on PvP. Make sure to watch the "Where's the Skill" video.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...and-Discussion
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Larynx put together a great info thread on PvP. Make sure to watch the "Where's the Skill" video.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...and-Discussion

I love how he specifically mentions the lack of cast bars. ^_^

Deleted
    Is the game "it"? it what? The wow killer? No. A good game? yes, it is. A great game for PvP? That's sure it is. Does it have PvE too? yes, it does, and it is hard too.
    In the end it's yours to decide if it's truly what you'd like. And yes, there was much hype, some founded, some unfounded, but the game still is good. Just not perfect. Nothing is perfect.

The PVP is pretty good. If you watched arena streams or videos before, then you may enjoy this too:

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

Deleted
    Dont take anyone else's advice, most certainly not fanboys views.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by akamurdoch View Post
    Dont take anyone else's advice, most certainly not fanboys views.
    Better than taking advice who mindlessly bash on it for not being <insert game here>.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly believe if you go into any game with the thought "Is this IT?", you will be let down. The 2 biggest impacts on me as a gamer came from Ultima Online and WoW. I dove into both games naive to what I was about to experience. No hours of Youtube videos, no countless forum thread topics and no beta access. Those games literally became part of my everyday life, and I loved every minute of it.

Since then I've had so many let downs. I have come to realize, those let downs had nothing to do with those games. It was the hype I built up in my own mind that kept me from really enjoying them.

If you go into this game with an open mind and a willingness to have fun, trust me you will. They have done a great job, from the art style to the game mechanics.

Fact: GW2 will not be a wow killer, why? because wow is already as good as an mmo can get. Graphics and events etc in gw2 are very good and everything but if the gameplay sucks it's popularity will drop fairly quickly, same as swtor, TSW, AoC etc etc.
    Just look at Counter Strike cs 1.6, 12 years after release it's still one of the most played fps on steam, infact I even think it's ahead of MW3, if graphics mattered at all, mw3 would still destroy cs.
    Gameplay is what keeps players, not graphics and fancy stuff.