Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sendai View Post
    Yeah, exactly. I'm surprised we managed to reach the Moon before reaching the depths of our own planet.
    I'm not. AT home everyones like "Chill bro relax we got dis planet" but then people go "I WANA SEE DA STARZZZ" and get all giddy but noone goes "I WANA SEE THE BLIND WHITE TENTACULAR FISHY THING THAT EATS SQUID SHIT"
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastblow View Post
    sorry i have never heard of anyone going to the bottom of the fucking ocean!!!!! have you?
    What Cameron is doing takes balls and it's good that someone takes the iniative, but did you even read the article? It says right there that someone did close to the same dive, they weren't able to document much of it, which is why it's great that with newer technology someone is taking iniative to go down and explore.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    I'm not. AT home everyones like "Chill bro relax we got dis planet" but then people go "I WANA SEE DA STARZZZ" and get all giddy but noone goes "I WANA SEE THE BLIND WHITE TENTACULAR FISHY THING THAT EATS SQUID SHIT"
    Yeah that`s why people spend their time to do it, because that`s what they want to see. Going to the moon is stupid and boring anyway, that`s why no one did it a second time, because people realized no one cares and they can see it all through telescopes

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    Yeah that`s why people spend their time to do it, because that`s what they want to see. Going to the moon is stupid and boring anyway, that`s why no one did it a second time, because people realized no one cares and they can see it all through telescopes
    Maybe I'm just too much of a scientist but going to the moon is the single most exciting thing I can think of Was more due to lack of public interest, but there's still more interest in space exploration than looking at a weird fish thing.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slappers View Post
    What Cameron is doing takes balls and it's good that someone takes the iniative, but did you even read the article? It says right there that someone did close to the same dive, they weren't able to document much of it, which is why it's great that with newer technology someone is taking iniative to go down and explore.
    yes i read the article i just wanted to see how people would respond ( yes I'm a ass )

Dr.Pepper is made from fairy tears. Pokemon IGN: Josh FC: 0662-4407-8552

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathyscaphe_Trieste

is the deepest anyone has ever gone in the ocean, and its the only manned mission to ever do so sucessfully

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cferrill1 View Post
    Actually yes, in 1960 they took a special sub named the "trieste" down 36,000 feet, it had tanks full of gasoline to combat the pressure, and a portal window that was like 3 feet thick, it cracked on the way halfway down.

When they reached the bottom they stirred up silt/sand, and waited for 20-30min for it to settle to take pictures but because of the extreme pressure of the ocean at that depth the water doesn't move at all so the silt would have taken hours if not days to settle, this combined with the damage to the craft led them to abandon taking photos and to return to the surface.

The cost of the mission was deemed too expensive and that mission to this day is the deepest they have ever gone. The previous deepest dive was like literally half of that.

So yah there is a good chance if he goes 7 miles down he will not come back, because those guys that did thae 36k feet dive barely did, and they had to spend a long ass time in decompression afterward.
    Which was in 1960s, 50 damn years ago (round number), easily doable with todays technology. Sure James will, he has the money to get the best equipment.

---------- Post added 2012-03-10 at 12:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Maybe I'm just too much of a scientist but going to the moon is the single most exciting thing I can think of Was more due to lack of public interest, but there's still more interest in space exploration than looking at a weird fish thing.
    One to each of their own, there is nothing on the moon, maybe moon mining would be interesting to see what we could find but apart from that nothing special. Oh and yes I love space, im more of a space "geek" my self but going to the bottom of the sea is kind of more interesting then the moon. Now planet exploration, now that is interesting.
    -K

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Do you even have a clue of the immense amount of new living kinds they find every time they do this kind of expeditions?
    Exactly, but to each their own. Some could care less about species they'll never see, not even in an aquamarine, but it's always interesting to see the things we're sharing this planet with, and the fact that we know of the moon's surface more than what's in the seas and oceans. They're vast, huge, always changing. Even the smallest creatures are amazing, like the little fish they found that lives 5 miles below the surface and could fit in the palm of your hand, while surviving the immense pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sendai View Post
    Yeah, exactly. I'm surprised we managed to reach the Moon before reaching the depths of our own planet.
    Well, it was a space race for a reason. In the 60's no one knew what was on the moon, aliens, life, anything, nothing? And man just being man, USA vs Russia, both wanted to be the first man on the moon, accomplishments. Man being where he shouldn't be. Now we just have telescopes sent into space showing us the beauty of what is out there, and us knowing that there's nothing on the moon, have no reason to go back, unless of course they want to build moon bases.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Do you even have a clue of the immense amount of new living kinds they find every time they do this kind of expeditions?
    there's not much. the ocean floor isn't like some random new world where many sub ocean beings live beyond our comprehension. it's a wasteland. a barren, sub oxygen, sub food, wasteland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    there's not much. the ocean floor isn't like some random new world where many sub ocean beings live beyond our comprehension. it's a wasteland. a barren, sub oxygen, sub food, wasteland.
    Just like space. It's exploration.

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Just like space. It's exploration.
    kinda sorta. not saying exploration isn't bad, I'm just saying don't realistically expect to see like a team of unknown animals living in the bottom of the trench.
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

That's not quite true. There are indeed vast swaths of the ocean floor that are extremely barren, but there are also many parts of the deep sea that are comparatively teeming with life. New species really ARE discovered almost every time one of these expeditions sets out. We've explored a fraction of a fraction of part of the deep sea, there's a huge amount we know virtually nothing about.

A quick google search gave me a new discovery as early as a couple days ago. http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...agos-catshark/

Quote Originally Posted by Lastblow View Post
    ok i will accept that and just say James is going a little bit deeper
    he needs to go derper

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    That's not quite true. There are indeed vast swaths of the ocean floor that are extremely barren, but there are also many parts of the deep sea that are comparatively teeming with life. New species really ARE discovered almost every time one of these expeditions sets out. We've explored a fraction of a fraction of part of the deep sea, there's a huge amount we know virtually nothing about.

A quick google search gave me a new discovery as early as a couple days ago. http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...agos-catshark/
    Catsharks are found in temperate and tropical seas worldwide, ranging from very shallow intertidal waters to depths of 2,000 metres (6,600 ft) or more, depending on species

if that's the same shark, thats hardly deep sea. well it is technically deep sea, but i'm refering more to the deepest part of the trench.

Catsharks are found in temperate and tropical seas worldwide, ranging from very shallow intertidal waters to depths of 2,000 metres (6,600 ft) or more, depending on species

if that's the same shark, thats hardly deep sea. well it is technically deep sea, but i'm refering more to the deepest part of the trench.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1015191723.htm

At 7000 meters.
    Mass groupings of cusk-eels and large crustacean scavengers were also discovered living at these depths for the first time.
    Not exactly a barren wasteland. Life finds a way~

Furthermore, it is now apparent that each of the deep trenches across the globe hosts a unique assembly of animals which can differ greatly from trench to trench. The immense isolation of each trench draws parallels with island evolution theory popularised by Darwin's finches.
    Like I said, we know so very little about the deep abyss.

Maybe he will find what made the Bloop O.o

What are you talking about? They went to the bottom of challenger deep in 1960...

Pure, Alliance Turalyon EU 8/8 25 HC

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1015191723.htm

At 7000 meters.

Not exactly a barren wasteland. Life finds a way~

Like I said, we know so very little about the deep abyss.
    ok. thats all well and good. But the deepest part of the ocean is substantially deeper.

"It reaches a maximum-known depth of about 10.91 kilometres (6.78 mi) (35,800 ft)"

at least 3,000 kilometers deeper than where that was found. which is pretty freakin huge. yes there are things found in floors far higher up than where this trench is, but i really doubt anything will be found in this trench.

Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    You say we didn't go to the moon more than once? Please go read

Pure, Alliance Turalyon EU 8/8 25 HC

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    I've always been interested in that trench. 7-8 miles below sea level is pretty damn deep, wonder what kind of life is down there. Maybe...The Bloop!
    Also more of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QLQq...eature=related
    They're beautifully creepy.
    A fen strider from Zangarmarsh?!

There was an interview with one of the people that went to the bottom, and he said that he did see some sort of flat fish at the bottom before the sand was kicked up. It would be extremely interesting to see what's down there, and if it could be done 60 years ago it should be piss easy by now, we have SCIENCE!