Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    I'm not sure just how recent my laptop specs are but the only time I dip on medium is at the very beginning during picks, Jak ult might make me go down to 40 at best. Did you try turning down the render quality?
    Had to find out that you can get console and turn off the background animation in menu (that made main menu usable, still not fast), apparently more people have the same problem. Funny enough, changing render quality in video options makes the game render in much lower resolution and scale it up. Don't help menu issues at all though.

Yes I had to figure out to get console up, so I found those variables as well. They are utterly useless, because all they change are mouseover highlights and minimap colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Did you check out the matchmaking, the improved distinction between minions and heroes, the updated shop, the addition of bots with actual difficulty levels instead of just different costs on items, the planned mentoring system, the planned tutorial, etc etc?
    Most of these are must have when you are making new game. But not really a way to check that when you have absolutely no idea what is going on when everything looks yellow/brownish and the menus look like cheap corporate web.

Quote Originally Posted by AFK-Champion View Post
    Had to find out that you can get console and turn off the background animation in menu (that made main menu usable, still not fast), apparently more people have the same problem. Funny enough, changing render quality in video options makes the game render in much lower resolution and scale it up. Don't help menu issues at all though.
    I'm not sure if your computer is just awful but I'm pretty sure they'll be adding it as an option later on.

Yes I had to figure out to get console up, so I found those variables as well. They are utterly useless, because all they change are mouseover highlights and minimap colors.
    I could make whatever excuses I want for this but all that's really relevant is that they seem to want to actually add a cb mode.

Most of these are must have when you are making new game. But not really a way to check that when you have absolutely no idea what is going on when everything looks yellow/brownish and the menus look like cheap corporate web.
    Are you sure you're not just being bitter about other areas of the game because you're colorblind?

I'm not sure if your computer is just awful but I'm pretty sure they'll be adding it as an option later on.
    I found that even people with hi-end have the same problem in MONTHS old post. They don't seem to give a damn about it.
    The UI is bad anyway, it's kind of the one which force you to do walk through everything to actually find out what you want to do. I'm not sure if there is any tutorial at the moment, but for me it was fairly difficult to navigate even with experienced user telling me what to do.

I can understand lack of any help to minority, but I find this game just as another example how retarded valve hype is. They can't do anything right.

But not really a way to check that when you have absolutely no idea what is going on when everything looks yellow/brownish and the menus look like cheap corporate web.
    Would you care to elaborate a bit on why you think the UI is bad? Feel free to draw comparisons to other current e-sport titles like SC2, LoL, BLC, CS:GO and if you really want to - fighting games. Is it primarily the colour scheme?

I am just curious because personally I find it to be one of the most intuitive and straight-forward UIs out there (out of games played as esports).

I can understand lack of any help to minority, but I find this game just as another example how retarded valve hype is. They can't do anything right.
    As compared to what company? Riot? Nexus? Blizzard?
    dotabuff . second dotabuff . steam . last fm . read the god damn stickies and join "mmo-champion" channel in dota 2

I found that even people with hi-end have the same problem in MONTHS old post. They don't seem to give a damn about it.
    The UI is bad anyway, it's kind of the one which force you to do walk through everything to actually find out what you want to do. I'm not sure if there is any tutorial at the moment, but for me it was fairly difficult to navigate even with experienced user telling me what to do.

There is no problem with the UI. Occasionally there is a problem with connectivity, but what online game doesn't have connection problems from time to time. Dota 2 has had tutorial programs for months now. I hate unintelligent people like you making claims about games that you obviously haven't even looked at. There are almost tutorials for everything in dota 2 and there is even a mentor program for friends to coach other friends easier. I feel like the vast majority of forum posters are people that just want to complain about something but aren't picky about what they are complaining about. Wahh Blizzard sucks, Wahh Valve sucks, and Wahh Activision sucks. People listen to what I say and agree with me. YEAH! Big companies that make video games suck!

My computer is six years old and runs Dota 2 at low settings flawlessly. There's occasional burps of lag, especially during hero loading, but other than that, smooth as glass. E4300, 4870 512MB, 2GB RAM. If you're having performance issues, it ain't the game that's causing them.

EDIT: What's taking them so long with Drow? Centy's pretty close to where he needs to be to be good to go for CM, but Drow's still totally out of whack. Are they just having issues finding a way to do something about her aura while still making it more interesting than it was before?
    Last edited by PizzaSHARK; 2012-11-09 at 06:39 PM.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    It is impossible for a tear of sadness to land on a Warrior Beard. As soon as the tear lands on the Warrior Beard, it is now a happy tear.
    5:10 AM - Everything Nice: PizzaSHARK, you're my stand in! You're promoted to like.. Semi-bestfriend.
    MMOC IRC!

The UI is bad anyway
    Agreed. UI is not bad, its SHIT!. I know... people with absolutely ZERO human-computer interaction knowledge will pop and tell me(and told me in official forums when I was suggesting a minor change in UI) how awesome the UI is and how okay it is and how I should go play another game but the fact is its not okay. If there is a reason why UI is the same its because world is full lazy people who dislike changes even its logical and more efficient. DotA comm. is pretty sensitive about UI. Go suggest UI needs to change in official forums and witness the shitstorm

The current UI is full with useless texture which occupies half of screen scape. Abilities are huge as fuck. It's like its designed for almost-blind people. Scaling will solve this issue. The hero portrait is useless piece of screen spaces. Allow players to remove it. A toggle for inventory may be good(well at least I would use it). IN essence, the more customizable UI is, the better gaming experience will be. It's time for MOBA/Action-RTS to evolve its UI. The modding for UI is must in 2012 but this is just my opinion. I have to say I was totally disappointed when I see bad-old interface ported to DotA 2...
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2012-11-09 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    The current UI is full with useless texture which occupies half of screen scape. Abilities are huge as fuck. It's like its designed for almost-blind people. Scaling will solve this issue. The hero portrait is useless piece of screen spaces. Allow players to remove it. A toggle for inventory may be good(well at least I would use it). IN essence, the more customizable UI is, the better gaming experience will be. It's time for MOBA/Action-RTS to evolve its UI. The modding for UI is must in 2012 but this is just my opinion. I have to say I was totally disappointed when I see bad-old interface ported to DotA 2...
    There's a reason for this, just as you can't play on odd resolutions, zoom out further or change the field of vision.

edit: to clarify my last post, I was talking about the UI outside of the game itself, not the one inside games.
    Last edited by Longview; 2012-11-09 at 09:00 PM.
    dotabuff . second dotabuff . steam . last fm . read the god damn stickies and join "mmo-champion" channel in dota 2

I don't really know how to say it simple. There are many things that don't generally do good either from bad decision or from legacy reason.

For example one minor problem - for legacy reasons every player have unique color, and this is advertised in all game UI, including his onscreen name. You can imagine how useless that thing is, and how it causes problems.
    Some of the main menu problems might be just because I don't use steam social features, I DON'T WANT TO. If it's broken without them, it's still bad design.
    As for non-technical issues, many of the features were relatively hard to find, despite being quite important. Even the play button is not very well visible, despite being like the most important thing. To be honest those buttons are looking like non-interactive banner if you don't look closely and read the text.

For example one minor problem - for legacy reasons every player have unique color, and this is advertised in all game UI, including his onscreen name. You can imagine how useless that thing is, and how it causes problems.
    This one I do not understand. The colours are always the same, in every game, on every team. If you are dire/scourge, and the enemy player in the first slot plays a hero (let's say Invoker) - then by simply glancing at the mini-map (where you should be looking frequently) you can with ease see what heroes are where on the map. Blue X in your forest? Invoker coming to gank you. You can even turn this feature off and instead display hero portraits if that's easier for you. This is (to me) a huge advantage over not having colours.

Some of the main menu problems might be just because I don't use steam social features, I DON'T WANT TO. If it's broken without them, it's still bad design.
    As for non-technical issues, many of the features were relatively hard to find, despite being quite important. Even the play button is not very well visible, despite being like the most important thing. To be honest those buttons are looking like non-interactive banner if you don't look closely and read the text.
    Would you complain over having to use battle.net to play WoW? The friends list is nothing but convenience, but if you somehow don't want to use that - you can either create a new account (free of charge) or simply log out of the friends function. Again, I do not see the issue. The user interface is identical for a player using steam with lots of friends compared to someone with none (except for their friends list being empty).

I understand that some people might find the tabs at the top confusing. However, hardly does this hold true after playing more than two games. The "FIND MATCH"-button is the largest button inside the entire user interface. Press the "PLAY"-tab, press "FIND MATCH". If that's difficult or somehow not straight forward to you, I guess that's just where our opinions differ.

Additionally, you needed to "look closely" and "read the text"? What resolution are you running? The text is clearly readable for me from across the hallway, which is pretty far away.

I'm not trying to talk down to you or make you look bad, I just want you to back statements like "Valve can't do anything right" with concrete examples of people who, in your opinion, do it "right". I'm trying to see where you're coming from - but I can't.

I would get pretty mad if they changed anything about the UI. I signed up to play DotA, I'd go play LoL if I wanted a different UI. The colors are also necessary, adding to what Longview said, they're used massively for quick team communication in public games. "Wards pink" and its many variants you should see quite often. I even call my friends by their colors instead of their names quite often.
    Win and live. Lose and die.
    Rule of life. No change rule.
    Running worse than losing.
    Random casual stuff now

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    I would get pretty mad if they changed anything about the UI. I signed up to play DotA, I'd go play LoL if I wanted a different UI. The colors are also necessary, adding to what Longview said, they're used massively for quick team communication in public games. "Wards pink" and its many variants you should see quite often. I even call my friends by their colors instead of their names quite often.
    Ditto. I always refer to players by color and not by hero name or player name. Blue, teal, pink, oj, yellow, etc.
    It is impossible for a tear of sadness to land on a Warrior Beard. As soon as the tear lands on the Warrior Beard, it is now a happy tear.
    5:10 AM - Everything Nice: PizzaSHARK, you're my stand in! You're promoted to like.. Semi-bestfriend.
    MMOC IRC!

Lost three games today that I started out beyond godlike in....

#matchmaking
    Random casual stuff now

#matchmaking
    Carry harder, slacker!

#matchmaking
    Play more Dirge! Walk into teamfight, drop Tombstone, die horribly, win anyway. 8/11/43 in a 50 minute game where I did pretty much exactly that. I had Bloodstone and I would gain charges from dying. Tombstone is such a fucking stupidly powerful skill for teamfighting.

And oh hey, it's your old avatar.
    MMOC IRC!

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Play more Dirge! Walk into teamfight, drop Tombstone, die horribly, win anyway. 8/11/43 in a 50 minute game where I did pretty much exactly that. I had Bloodstone and I would gain charges from dying. Tombstone is such a fucking stupidly powerful skill for teamfighting.

And oh hey, it's your old avatar.
    Enchantress, 16-0 before our level 10 Dirge at 45 minutes decides he has to go and abandons the game. Next game I get a CM jungle who buys no items the whole game. Later on I would go 12-0 as Kunkka in the first 20 minutes only to have my four allies work together to achieve 60 deaths.
    Random casual stuff now

#matchmaking
    I know the feeling, but isn't it a bit ludicrous to presume that having the best score means you're not at all responsible for losing the game, or that it makes you better than your teammates?
    Manni of Paragon. Moderator of Dota 2 subforum - The golden rule: Listen to Lysah. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    I know the feeling, but isn't it a bit ludicrous to presume that having the best score means you're not at all responsible for losing the game, or that it makes you better than your teammates?
    You don't average a kill every 60 seconds for the first 20 minutes of a game and it be your fault. There aren't any circumstances where that is even feasible. The Kunkka game was the best, our razor didn't know how to get past the hero select screen for a while.

Oh well, extremely typical day of DotA for me.

As an aside, I can guarantee I am far better than my teammates. There aren't enough players on this planet to make a fair game with me in it any given time of day. Matchmaking ends up trying to find them for ten minutes before the search range gets big enough that it can, instead, balance the game by giving me a team full of allies who are below average. Unfortunately, when 4/5 of your enemies are better than 3/4 of your allies, the game ends up being 1v5. Matchmaking never accounts for that one.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2012-11-10 at 07:33 AM.
    Random casual stuff now

Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    I've had exactly one game this entire week where I didn't feel like I wasn't clearly the most skilled player on my team, and that was my most recent game, where everyone on my team played well. Well, not counting when I queue with friends, anyway.

I'd say it's rare to play a game so perfect that you can honestly say the loss had nothing to do with you - though those happen and I have had a few of those - but like Lysah's saying... when you completely dominate the game for 25 minutes and your team still loses because your teammates couldn't be dragged to the win (or because they're running around basically undoing all the good you've been doing), it's not really fair to assign equal blame to yourself.

Honestly, I'm not sure what's more frustrating - playing a flawless game (6/0/8 Windrunner at 45 minutes with stellar CS) and losing anyway, or basically 1v5'ing the enemy team most of the game and dragging people to a win they probably didn't really deserve to get. I guess it'd be more bothersome if rewards were tied to winning/losing, but thankfully they aren't.

Regardless, it still makes me at least feel a little dirty for winning a game and thinking "man that (usually Brazilian or Russian) Anti-Mage really doesn't deserve to have this as a win..."
    MMOC IRC!

You don't average a kill every 60 seconds for the first 20 minutes of a game and it be your fault. There aren't any circumstances where that is even feasible. The Kunkka game was the best, our razor didn't know how to get past the hero select screen for a while.

Oh well, extremely typical day of DotA for me.

As an aside, I can guarantee I am far better than my teammates. There aren't enough players on this planet to make a fair game with me in it any given time of day. Matchmaking ends up trying to find them for ten minutes before the search range gets big enough that it can, instead, balance the game by giving me a team full of allies who are below average. Unfortunately, when 4/5 of your enemies are better than 3/4 of your allies, the game ends up being 1v5. Matchmaking never accounts for that one.
    Not saying you were necessarily at fault, but there's always something you could have done differently. Gonna skip the BS part and suggest that maybe you should try to queue on EU servers instead.
    Manni of Paragon. Moderator of Dota 2 subforum - The golden rule: Listen to Lysah. Seriously.