Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    with the amount of complains regarding russian players and the existence of a RUSSIAN server, i dont see a problem with valve filtering all russian IPs and letting them queue only in the russian server.

that will end a TREMENDOUS amount of grief in regular pub games
    I can already imagine the media backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    with the amount of complains regarding russian players and the existence of a RUSSIAN server, i dont see a problem with valve filtering all russian IPs and letting them queue only in the russian server.

that will end a TREMENDOUS amount of grief in regular pub games
    This has been discussed time and time again, and Valve has confirmed that this will never happen. They want anyone to be able to play with their friends, regardless of their geographic location.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    It really isn't. I've played for a long time and some might think I've forgotten what it was like to be a noob, but I remember what it was like when I started DotA like it was yesterday. I played with some friends, had no idea what was going on but I had a blast and was left hungering for more. I'd learn mostly by playing the game, getting some tips from friends and sometimes reading about DotA related stuff when I wasn't playing. Sometimes I'd have my mind blown from watching a competitive replay of Merlini jungling with Beastmaster like a wizard.
    I remember what it was like to be new, and I don't think I would play this game if I was not already experienced with it. Back when I was new hero arenas were popular and DotA was the new, shiny thing.

I don't disagree with PizzaSHARK - I think DotA has too high a volume of information for new players. It's this level of depth that makes it fun for those of us who have played for a decade, however, they really could use the addition of tutorials and mentor program.
    Win and live. Lose and die.
    Rule of life. No change rule.
    Running worse than losing.
    Random casual stuff now

Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    This has been discussed time and time again, and Valve has confirmed that this will never happen. They want anyone to be able to play with their friends, regardless of their geographic location.
    It would be only for solo matchmaking... team matchmaking and customs could be open to all.

edit: it wouldnt be only russians of course, but most hubs would have some restrictions for soloque.

---------- Post added 2012-12-04 at 09:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    I don't disagree with PizzaSHARK - I think DotA has too high a volume of information for new players..
    Only because they are forced to play with players with all this info.

Its like playing Magic: The Gathering for the first time against people who play it for years - you cant do shit. But when you play with people who just started, you dont need most of the knowledge, just basics, and find more about the game the more you play.

Brewmaster
    There should be a set primary language on the servers and then it should be possible to report people who do not speak the correct language.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    I remember what it was like to be new, and I don't think I would play this game if I was not already experienced with it. Back when I was new hero arenas were popular and DotA was the new, shiny thing.

I don't disagree with PizzaSHARK - I think DotA has too high a volume of information for new players. It's this level of depth that makes it fun for those of us who have played for a decade, however, they really could use the addition of tutorials and mentor program.
    Not really the only thing DOTA2 needs is the original mentality of Dota players.
    I personally started playing Dota because Warcraft 3 is too complex for me, I like taking my time to build my base my army and only then duke it out.
    Dota on the other hand is simple you have one unit, 4 abilities+ item abilities, easy. I still think that Dota is a simple game which the community added depth.
    The problem is now that you are restricted in a lot of ways. What heroes your team needs you to pick,what items you need to buy, what roles you need to fulfill,what way you must play your hero. In the begining nobody knew what the hell they were doing....I had more fun doing than for instance spending 5 games in a row doing the exact same think otherwise people would rage at me for doing something that wasn't viewed as plaiying good.
    I think when DOTA2 is released that it will suffer the same fate as WC3, it will be out shined by mods, and honestly i'm rooting for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    There should be a set primary language on the servers and then it should be possible to report people who do not speak the correct language.
    and what would it accomplish?
    Force people to learn "proper" languages?
    Dont make me laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Storm the Sorrow View Post
    Dont make me laugh
    Yes it would. It's most likely a cultural difference but here in Europe we don't take too kindly to people that speak a language the others can't understand when in the presence of other people. It's considered disrespectful.

Dont make me laugh

Agreed. It would accomplish nothing. Just like reporting people for being unskilled in LoL.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookeh View Post
    Yes it would. It's most likely a cultural difference but here in Europe we don't take too kindly to people that speak a language the others can't understand when in the presence of other people. It's considered disrespectful.
    If you really think Valve would waste their resources for such moronic report option that yells "abuse the fuck out of this", you are terribly mistaken. There is a simple solution for that. Just lock regions but I really prefer current state rather than region locks.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2012-12-04 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookeh View Post
    I fully understand that.
    But do you understand that in internets, noone cares?
    Noone cares if he spoils one's fun as long as it provides entertainment.
    True sad but.

---------- Post added 2012-12-04 at 09:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Agreed. It would accomplish nothing. Just like reporting people for being unskilled in LoL.
    Well I cant talk about LoL, since I never played it
    But you could enlighten me

But you could enlighten me
    One of the report type in LoL is "unskilled player". This report type serves no purpose. Any angry gamer can pick someone to blame in game and report for unskilled player. Some LoL players in here told me that it has no function other than decreasing the chance to play with the player that you reported.

It's so obvious that Riot ignore this option while investigating reports but somehow players still think that it does something.

One of the report options in LoL is "unskilled player". This report type serves no purpose. Any angry gamer can pick someone to blame in game and report for unskilled player. Some LoL players in here told me that it has no function other than decreasing the chance to play with the player that you reported.

It's so obvious that Riot ignore this option while investigating reports but somehow players still think that it does something.
    huh, weird one, I guess.

Brewmaster
    If you really think Valve would waste their resources for such moronic report option that yells "abuse the fuck out of this", you are terribly mistaken. There is a simple solution for that. Just lock regions but I really prefer current state rather than region locks.
    So much resources wasted on creating a script. We live in the age of computers.

---------- Post added 2012-12-04 at 11:45 PM ----------

Again, scripts to flag suspicious or legit reports.

I feel like I've sparked an argument here...

Just a note: as long as russians speak English, I have no beef. It's just when they use their own language that I'm a bit annoyed. Sometimes people do weird things and you don't know why, you know? It's just a bit discouraging sometimes, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    So much resources wasted on creating a script. We live in the age of computers.

---------- Post added 2012-12-04 at 11:45 PM ----------

Again, scripts to flag suspicious or legit reports.
    The resource is put on investigating the report, not the report itself. First you need to define what is abusive which is hard thing to do. Using few sentences in your own language make it a true or false report? You can't really differentiate what is bad or okay in this case because you are just using your own language. Use of language can never be a report reason and if Valve really wants it, they could easily lock the regions. Also determining a word is belong to specific language may not be that easy to pull out. I'm not sure about this because if there is a pattern in English determining whether a word is legit or not(We do have in Turkish for example) it is possible but requires character by character parse of every single convo in game. What I'm trying to say it's not feasible in anyway.

I just started with 0 gold to game. How the FUCK?
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2012-12-04 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftero View Post
    I feel like I've sparked an argument here...

Just a note: as long as russians speak English, I have no beef. It's just when they use their own language that I'm a bit annoyed. Sometimes people do weird things and you don't know why, you know? It's just a bit discouraging sometimes, that's all.
    so tell me, if a russian doesnt speak engrish, but plays like a god, are you still annoyed?

so tell me, if a russian doesnt speak engrish, but plays like a god, are you still annoyed?
    Usually, yeah. Just because you're good at the game doesn't mean you're helping the team.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Usually, yeah. Just because you're good at the game doesn't mean you're helping the team.
    I'll rephrase, then.
    If a russian(insert anyone else, including chinese) doesnt speak engrish, but plays like a god and you win the game, are you still annoyed?

I'll rephrase, then.
    If a russian(insert anyone else, including chinese) doesnt speak engrish, but plays like a god and you win the game, are you still annoyed?
    Yep. Just because one guy that doesn't speak English is good and useful doesn't mean the next thirty will be, too.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Yep. Just because one guy that doesn't speak English is good and useful doesn't mean the next thirty will be, too.
    so in the end you are annoyed by inability to chat with your whole team?
    For me, IDGAF if my whole team speaks chinese, japanese and swedish at the same time, as long as they act with a semblance of teamwork here and there.