1. #6961
    Quote Originally Posted by Daraiki View Post
    How are dota2 commentators ?

    I don't watch the pro scene expect for the international and there i usually just mute them. I mean I understand already what is happening on the screen and the commentators are well boring, they don't entertain me all that well and are not fun like some sport commentators. Never really got the appeal of having a commentator on game except for the comedic effect.
    Comedic effect and Korean TV series effect. The later is my own term for shows with ridiculously obvious dialogue meant for housewives to listen to while doing their jobs, so they dont have to pay much attention but still catch whats going on. Similarly, I put the stream vid on 2nd monitor, only look at it when the caster shouts something in excitement. Works well so far.

  2. #6962
    asian DOTA2 commentators are great. notable casters are WinteR and LD, they provide good insights about the match and other things about DOTA2. i used to mute livestream sounds before until i heard them commentating

  3. #6963
    Titan PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    12,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    Sorry but they got nothing on Jaymes. More Dreamhack Invitational in only 3 hours 48 minutes, I'll gladly take that over Tobi or even BTS casting online Chinese pausing tournaments any day.
    haha no shit, that last Orange-LGD.int game... christ, they spent like what, 30 minutes total in pause? That game was so worth seeing, though... such a great finish.

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-21 at 11:28 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Visage too OP, 7 kills in 5 minutes like whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
    I've seen a couple games where he went solo mid and actually did surprisingly well, rushed a scepter. I think the idea was to have 3 bats before enemy supports could tank up and have decent boots, so that his bats' speed was much faster in comparison to supports'.

    I think next time I play him I'm just gonna keep my bats hanging around me the entire time. Every time I've seen him in pro, the pros do that. I always figured you were supposed to be all over the map with them, maybe that's what I've been doing wrong the entire time.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!

  4. #6964
    Put them on autofollow for pudge, that's what this kid did. Though he got first blood 1v1ing DS before creeps even came out and instantly started snowballing. Phase boots at 30 seconds so already autoing people for 80 damage and spamming soul catcher, fun hero.
    Win and live. Lose and die.
    Rule of life. No change rule.
    Running worse than losing.
    Random casual stuff now


  5. #6965
    Titan PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    12,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Put them on autofollow for pudge, that's what this kid did. Though he got first blood 1v1ing DS before creeps even came out and instantly started snowballing. Phase boots at 30 seconds so already autoing people for 80 damage and spamming soul catcher, fun hero.
    He is. He's a really strong hero, I just thought he was bad because I thought you were just supposed to be having global map presence with bats while also microing your hero. Seems like everyone just sets bats to autofollow Visage (or a hero like Pudge, like you said) and then just pretty much ignore them.

    We still won that one game, though. Maybe because I was Omniknight and Omni's really good at turning Visage's bats into free 300g.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!

  6. #6966
    Axe makes a joke of visage. Spin2win free gold #yolo

    You can easily use them for global presence while farming your lane and that's usually how I play him if my lane isn't very exciting. Anywhere you think there might be a gank it's a good idea to have your familiars there, of course. A big reason a lot of players keep them near the hero is because they are constantly ganking on the hero and familiars go where the fights are.

    Biggest reason to go scepter on Visage, in my opinion, is 3 level 3 familiars can dish out like 900 damage to a tower in a matter of half a second, then go stone form and finish it off. Even Leshrac is jealous.
    Win and live. Lose and die.
    Rule of life. No change rule.
    Running worse than losing.
    Random casual stuff now


  7. #6967
    Titan PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    12,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Axe makes a joke of visage. Spin2win free gold #yolo
    Good thing Axe is pretty useless past 30 mins, then
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!

  8. #6968
    Games don't last 30 minutes with a proper Axe. Nothing like going 15-0 with a 9 minute atos or euls making it impossible for anyone to get away.

    Besides, his ult will always be fantastic, and battle call goes through BKB (fantastic).
    Win and live. Lose and die.
    Rule of life. No change rule.
    Running worse than losing.
    Random casual stuff now


  9. #6969
    Titan PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    12,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Besides, his ult will always be fantastic, and battle call goes through BKB (fantastic).
    Scepter should be core on Axe if the game's going late. Ulti a creep and your entire team gets that huge 25% ms boost and it has 100% uptime as long as you have mana and something to chop in half. Axe is also the ideal answer to an enemy Dazzle since Axe doesn't give a shit about Shallow Grave.

    Taunt going through BKB is somewhat meh, since there are a lot of good abilities that go through BKB. But what amounts to a 3 second stun every 10 sec through BKB is pretty potent... if they're on a 5 sec BKB, you can waste 3 sec of it guaranteed.

    Also, get a Force Staff instead of Blink Dagger on Axe. Taunt them, run towards your team, and when they turn to continue attacking you, shove them into your team. Never gets old.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!

  10. #6970
    I am Murloc! Scummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,222
    I've not brought a courier yet, but that new owl/penguin looks really awesome and adorable .

  11. #6971
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    And when it comes to Russian casters, v1lat got nothing on Versuta, the bright star in the world of casting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IZ_...ailpage#t=228s (headphone warning)
    It's even more hilarious when you understand at least some of the words he's saying. For example I'm polish and I could understand about half of it and the result was I almost shit myself laughing.
    Last edited by Grimsdott; 2013-03-22 at 10:50 AM.

    credits: Supernerd

  12. #6972
    Stood in the Fire Rivenda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    Sorry but they got nothing on Jaymes. More Dreamhack Invitational in only 3 hours 48 minutes, I'll gladly take that over Tobi or even BTS casting online Chinese pausing tournaments any day.

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-21 at 01:13 PM ----------



    The moment when you random OD and think you won mid and those nerds send 2 people against you................................
    I was like: Poor Hermanni, getting totally destroyed. :< Could have been neat if you owned them.

    I don't know what's up with the hate on Tobi, it might because I havn't played 1000+ games or so that I miss something but I certainly enjoy his streams. Sometimes I ask myself did he really just say that but it rarely happens for me. He makes the big clashes more funny imo. But when he has a co-caster with him the stream is certainly better. He should have Bruno co-cast with him more he is a great caster(Bruno).

    But yea hands down James is just awesome, (Am I'm the only one that loves the compination of his voice and accent?)
    Oderint dum metuat.
    Success is dependent on effort.

  13. #6973
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Also, get a Force Staff instead of Blink Dagger on Axe. Taunt them, run towards your team, and when they turn to continue attacking you, shove them into your team. Never gets old.
    I usually don't get either unless they have a godzilla of a carry like 5 core Luna or Sven who absolutely needs to be initiated on for your team to have a shot at killing. Euls or Atos and just walk up and battle call works in 95% of situations, and both of those items are way more useful stat wise than blink/force. Euls gives you 500 movespeed with battle hunger up on a couple of people, atos is just fantastic hp/mana boost and one of the best actives in the game. In my experience, jungle tranqs > rush atos/euls is the best you can do on Axe. After that you pretty much just gank full time and farm up whatever your team needs. Blademail, scepter, HH, etc. Playing Axe as an int caster is the only way.
    Win and live. Lose and die.
    Rule of life. No change rule.
    Running worse than losing.
    Random casual stuff now


  14. #6974
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    (´・ω・`)
    Posts
    1,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    I usually don't get either unless they have a godzilla of a carry like 5 core Luna or Sven who absolutely needs to be initiated on for your team to have a shot at killing. Euls or Atos and just walk up and battle call works in 95% of situations, and both of those items are way more useful stat wise than blink/force. Euls gives you 500 movespeed with battle hunger up on a couple of people, atos is just fantastic hp/mana boost and one of the best actives in the game. In my experience, jungle tranqs > rush atos/euls is the best you can do on Axe. After that you pretty much just gank full time and farm up whatever your team needs. Blademail, scepter, HH, etc. Playing Axe as an int caster is the only way.
    No shadow blade?

  15. #6975
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    I usually don't get either unless they have a godzilla of a carry like 5 core Luna or Sven who absolutely needs to be initiated on for your team to have a shot at killing. Euls or Atos and just walk up and battle call works in 95% of situations, and both of those items are way more useful stat wise than blink/force. Euls gives you 500 movespeed with battle hunger up on a couple of people, atos is just fantastic hp/mana boost and one of the best actives in the game. In my experience, jungle tranqs > rush atos/euls is the best you can do on Axe. After that you pretty much just gank full time and farm up whatever your team needs. Blademail, scepter, HH, etc. Playing Axe as an int caster is the only way.
    I like sometimes getting Force out of Tranquils, but pretty much agree with the rest. Not to forget cute little items like Medallion and Urn, and now that Tranquils are slightly less hot mid-game choice for a hero that is pretty likely to take a few hits it's not a bad idea to swap them out for Arcanes and have enough mana to maybe even get a Pipe or Mek. Farming the entire game as Axe just to notice that the enemy either ignore you or are fed enough to slaughter you despite your heart/blademail/blink/vanguard is just a waste of everyone's time. Though I think Blademail is still a bit of a waste unless you go all the way to the next level and pair it with a MoM.

    I've no idea why so many people neglect getting Urn, it's like one of the best support items out there. It's almost painful to watch supports stacking Bracers when nobody has that other item that also gives 6 strength but is around 10x better. And on a hero like Axe it makes sniping people with Battle Hunger that much easier.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2013-03-22 at 05:58 PM.



    Manni | paragon.fi | Dota 2 forum | The golden rule: Listen to Lysah.

  16. #6976
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaitoc View Post
    No shadow blade?
    No, shadow blade is for centaur, silly.

    Urn is fine for axe. In the end, it should not take you so long in the jungle to get items that people are more fed than you. I've seen Axe emergy from his jungle around 10 minutes with Atos. That is game breaking. That's what Axe does, he breaks early game with battle hunger and culling blade. If he isn't 10-0 by 25 minutes he has failed and deserves to lose.

    The tranq nerf hurts them as a permanent choice but still the go-to choice for junglers. I'd get arcanes if I did more laning and less creep tanking.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2013-03-22 at 06:26 PM.
    Win and live. Lose and die.
    Rule of life. No change rule.
    Running worse than losing.
    Random casual stuff now


  17. #6977
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    The tranq nerf hurts them as a permanent choice but still the go-to choice for junglers. I'd get arcanes if I did more laning and less creep tanking.
    I still can't figure it out how is Tranqboots-HoT is dispelled on damage, I mean, I know it breaks from heroes, ande from a few neutrals aswell..
    Sure as sure

  18. #6978
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivenda View Post
    I don't know what's up with the hate on Tobi, it might because I havn't played 1000+ games or so that I miss something but I certainly enjoy his streams. Sometimes I ask myself did he really just say that but it rarely happens for me. He makes the big clashes more funny imo. But when he has a co-caster with him the stream is certainly better. He should have Bruno co-cast with him more he is a great caster(Bruno).
    A lot of people hate Tobi for little to no reason, he isn't nearly as awful as some people make him out to be but I do tend to mute him quite often when there isn't a decent color commentator, and sometimes even when there is. BTS do a good job at covering the Asian scene and their casters are usually up to scratch, and although there's a lot of interesting teams and high-level games in the Asian tourneys the constant pausing and stream lag caused by shitty Chinese internets has made me close the stream quite a few times.

    I doubt Bruno will cast much with Tobi since he was flown to Sweden to work full time for The GD Studio along with Draskyl and the others. I like the GD crew because they've plenty of people running the casts, and they don't constantly shout and use copious amounts of filler words ('OMG THAT WAS HUGE THING HE JUST USED HIS SKILL TO KILL THAT GUY WHICH IS PRETTY AMAZING' or however Lysah would put it), at least not to the extent of many other casters. James sets a good example with this, even he probably doesn't know that much more about Dota than Tobi he still does a good job at play-by-play commentary without needing to raise his voice or exaggerate but he still keeps it interesting all the same. They just run a good show in Sweden and don't take themselves too seriously.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2013-03-22 at 07:41 PM.



    Manni | paragon.fi | Dota 2 forum | The golden rule: Listen to Lysah.

  19. #6979
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivenda View Post
    I was like: Poor Hermanni, getting totally destroyed. :< Could have been neat if you owned them.

    I don't know what's up with the hate on Tobi, it might because I havn't played 1000+ games or so that I miss something but I certainly enjoy his streams. Sometimes I ask myself did he really just say that but it rarely happens for me. He makes the big clashes more funny imo. But when he has a co-caster with him the stream is certainly better. He should have Bruno co-cast with him more he is a great caster(Bruno).

    But yea hands down James is just awesome, (Am I'm the only one that loves the compination of his voice and accent?)
    Solo commenting is dull. This is not new. If one is not no-lifer enough to check a sport match once in a while then he/she would notice almost every single match or even most media events are presented by a commentator and and analyst who knows more than commentator. What surprises me that people blame tobi for cast being dull when he's solo. Also, consider the fact that community is composed of highly complexed players. Whenever tobi screams for ultra-easy move they think it was easy move, they could do it just as well so it doesn't deserve such "excitement" and get angry. Overall, I enjoy tobi's casts a lot. Tho, I can't play or watch dota 2 these days...

  20. #6980
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Also, consider the fact that community is composed of highly complexed players. Whenever tobi screams for ultra-easy move they think it was easy move, they could do it just as well so it doesn't deserve such "excitement" and get angry. Overall, I enjoy tobi's casts a lot. Tho, I can't play or watch dota 2 these days...
    This exists in all of E-sports sadly. I dont know what causes people to think like this, I guess its some sort of "durr I know all of this why mention it he's instulting MUH INTELLIGENCE" thing. I'd like to see a caster cater to these people once and commentate a game going "oh yeah he throws this spell, that was to be expected and now they win the teamfight sooooo exciting" in a monotone voice just to show how boring it would be
    Shoutcasting is pure entertainment, nothing more. Commentators are not supposed to delve into the depths of the metagame during a game except if theres nothing going on and the players are just farming anways.
    This is one reason I stopped watching competitive League of Legends. Early game is passive as hell and the meta doesnt have a lot of variety, so the first 20 minutes is usually just commentators comparing CS between teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by icylock View Post
    Gamon spends more time of his knees and back than haris pilton...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •