Quote Originally Posted by Sarevokcz View Post
    I have seen couple of SnY Naixes lately. Also not sure how troll they were, but just a few days ago I saw SnY gyro, I think it was NTH vs TL?
    I dunno, Yasha/Manta isn't much use on Naix, and Sange/Halberd is kind of pointless on Gyro. I guess the move speed on Naix is nice, but that's why you get phase boots. Halberd is amazing on him if you're not your team's primary carry.

To be honest I think Vanguard needs a buff to make it worth buying. Ever since they buffed up Armlet back when, there's virtually no reason to buy Vanguard on anyone ever - Armlet does what it does, but better.

Maybe it needs the Atos treatment or something... like +300 HP or something. Maybe make it able to be disassembled.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!

Manta is core on n'aix. Infest an image and watch people blow their ults on fake-you just for real-you to pop out and eat them.

SY is core on BB though.
    Win and live. Lose and die.
    Rule of life. No change rule.
    Running worse than losing.
    Random casual stuff now

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Manta is core on n'aix. Infest an image and watch people blow their ults on fake-you just for real-you to pop out and eat them.
    Nai'xception?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarevokcz View Post
    I have seen couple of SnY Naixes lately. Also not sure how troll they were, but just a few days ago I saw SnY gyro, I think it was NTH vs TL?
    Correct. Here's what Loda had to say:

https://twitter.com/LodaBerg/status/317832884994076672
    https://twitter.com/LodaBerg/status/317836650686332929

edit: to add to the discussion on Vanguard, Icefrog wrote a blog a bit before dota 2 came to be about balance of items and heroes. He was of the belief that perfect balance is not when every hero (or item) is viable, but rather when nothing is strong to the point of breaking said balance more than everything else. With that said, Vanguard isn't that great, but it doesn't need to be either. It works in lower tiers of match making (I used to build it all the time, and it was core on most heroes I played pre-nerf in HoN). Something not being used in the professional scene does not neccesarily equate to being up/op or even in need of a change, as the game isn't balanced solely around the professional scene.
    Last edited by Longview; 2013-03-30 at 06:13 PM.

Regular Dota

Ranked Only
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    people who smoke weed past primary school dont deserve jobs. weed is for little kids. you should stop smoking it and move on to real people things

No comments on Magnus then, I guess.
    Random casual stuff now

Quote Originally Posted by Sistine View Post
    SnY is core on slark.... im just sayin bro
    Why would you waste money on SnY instead of Skadi?
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Why would you waste money on SnY instead of Skadi?
    Because Skadi both costs like 2k more and has a harder buildup?

Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    Something not being used in the professional scene does not neccesarily equate to being up/op or even in need of a change, as the game isn't balanced solely around the professional scene.
    What is it balanced around, then? Shouldn't a game designed for competition be balanced around the highest levels of play, using trickle-down for everything below that level?

---------- Post added 2013-03-31 at 07:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Okuu View Post
    Because Skadi both costs like 2k more and has a harder buildup?
    And Skadi is more useful than SnY, Sange, Yasha, Manta Style, and Heaven's Halberd on Slark.

It doesn't have to be your first item (and probably shouldn't), but a simple Orb of Venom does everything Sange does without making you waste gold. Move speed and attack speed are similarly more or less pointless on Slark because he can cross the map in 5 seconds and he gets buckets of agility from his passive.
    MMOC IRC!

And Skadi is more useful than SnY, Sange, Yasha, Manta Style, and Heaven's Halberd on Slark.
    Manta can break silence and Halberd is an excellent CC.
    SnY I could see your issue with but really come on.
    attack speed more or less pointless
    he gets buckets of agility from his passive.
    You what mate.

Yeah, Manta is always useful but I'm not really a fan of it on Slark since you can already break disables and silences with pact. Halberd is better now that it got buffed but I still think you might as well just go for a sheepstick if you need a disable on a stick.

You what mate.
    Drums and treads give you plenty of attack speed to get the train rolling, and by time you need to do more than pounce and pact to wipe out 80% of a support's health, you're getting heaps of stats from items like skadi anyway.

EDIT: Love it when people throw games because they're too busy farming and ganking instead of pushing. Could've won at 25 minutes, kept telling them to help me push, but nope let's go for dagon 5 on nyx instead of using that 14/0/8 lead to make a fast sheepstick for their Russian drow that isn't buying BKB.
    MMOC IRC!

SnY I could see your issue with but really come on.

You what mate.
    building specifically IAS items on Slark is pointless due to his passive from which he gains loads of agility, and , therefore IAS.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm the Sorrow View Post
    building specifically IAS items on Slark is pointless due to his passive from which he gains loads of agility, and , therefore IAS.
    You can steal a lot of stats with MoM
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    You can steal a lot of stats with MoM
    Yeah, but most of the time I prefer consistency. My main issue with MoM is that it makes you super squishy, but Slark can get away with it due to his regen and being able to shed stuns with his pact. I'd probably get it if I was already ahead and wanted to snowball.

IAS isn't bad on Slark, but you generally don't want to specifically build it on him. He just likes raw stats.
    MMOC IRC!

How can you say waste gold on SnY instead of Skadi then says Orb of Venom does everything Sange does? Those are both wrong statements.
    With Yasha then Sange you're able to contribute much more than hold an orb of venom then a single ultimate orb. Getting 1k items are much easier than having to save up 2.1k, twice.

Sange/Yasha is core on Bristleback.
    Random casual stuff now

Quote Originally Posted by Storm the Sorrow View Post
    That he needs IAS to stack properly unless people are just letting themselves get hit.

Yeah, Manta is always useful but I'm not really a fan of it on Slark since you can already break disables and silences with pact. Halberd is better now that it got buffed but I still think you might as well just go for a sheepstick if you need a disable on a stick.
    I'm pretty sure the point of silencing Slark in the first place is making sure he can't Pact.

Drums and treads give you plenty of attack speed to get the train rolling, and by time you need to do more than pounce and pact to wipe out 80% of a support's health, you're getting heaps of stats from items like skadi anyway.
    Drums and treads puts you at just barely an attack per second, something which I'd say is hardly enough.

What is it balanced around, then? Shouldn't a game designed for competition be balanced around the highest levels of play, using trickle-down for everything below that level?
    Q: Is your goal to make everything picked the same amount of times? (from j.walsh)
    A: I don't think about it that way exactly. Sure it's good if there is a nice distribution and that is something to work towards, but really the goal in DotA's development is, first and foremost, to make the gameplay quality the best it can be. It is the combination of all the heroes, items and mechanics together that makes DotA what it is and not the individual elements alone. Sometimes that means certain things are carefully adjusted to be more frequent than others, sometimes it doesn't, but ultimately the main judge of a game's quality is not in some artificial balance metric, but in the overall gameplay quality and depth that it has.

Source

The game is obviously balanced around higher tiers of gameplay, anything else would be deranged. What I'm saying is that just because it isn't used frequently (or is even viable) at the professional level does not necessarily mean that it warrants a buff. Or so say IceFrog.

Vanguard used to be a fairly good pickup back when it was introduced, around the era of 6.37, where the early days of AoE compositions were changed for fast pushing lineups where summons were common.
    Last edited by Longview; 2013-03-31 at 07:42 PM.

Regular Dota

Ranked Only
    people who smoke weed past primary school dont deserve jobs. weed is for little kids. you should stop smoking it and move on to real people things

Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    Q: Is your goal to make everything picked the same amount of times? (from j.walsh)
    A: I don't think about it that way exactly. Sure it's good if there is a nice distribution and that is something to work towards, but really the goal in DotA's development is, first and foremost, to make the gameplay quality the best it can be. It is the combination of all the heroes, items and mechanics together that makes DotA what it is and not the individual elements alone. Sometimes that means certain things are carefully adjusted to be more frequent than others, sometimes it doesn't, but ultimately the main judge of a game's quality is not in some artificial balance metric, but in the overall gameplay quality and depth that it has.

Source

The game is obviously balanced around higher tiers of gameplay, anything else would be deranged. What I'm saying is that just because it isn't used frequently) or even viable) at the professional level does not necessarily mean that it warrants a buff. Or so say IceFrog.

Vanguard used to be a fairly good pickup back when it was introduced, around the era of 6.37, where the early days of AoE compositions were changed for fast pushing lineups where summons were common.
    Team Liquid miles ahead of your Icefrog knowledge http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=405620, fucking Korean time zone got me bad.

Also you gotta be kidding me with your Slark stuff, his passive isn't even close to being a reliable source of agility until it's rank 4, and even then it's only if you're constantly fighting to keep it up. IAS is pretty much the best combat stat for Slark early on, which is why MoM is so popular. And Vanguard Viper pro only build plz no diss.

The only good change they made to items in HoN was Sange being part of Skadi, if it were so in DotA I would actually play nothing but Mirana and go full AngryTestie every game, Linkens > SnY > Manta > Skadi. Still, SnY into Manta HH is a nice build for CK.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2013-03-31 at 07:48 PM.
    Manni of Paragon. Moderator of Dota 2 subforum - The golden rule: Listen to Lysah. Seriously.

One of my flatmates plays in a sponsored HoN team (I think they play in the highest HoNTour tier) and I've seen him play a few games. I've seen games where six heroes had Linkens and Silence appears to be core on every single hero. Strange how two relatively similar games can have such drastic differences in item choices.

Regular Dota

Ranked Only

Meh, been trying really hard to re-like Dota 2 considering how much time i spent and how many lan games of Dota i had for years and years after HoN and LoL, simply not possible, the players are horrendous.

LoL and HoN have as terrible players but they understand English and those games have a surrender option which means the waste of time game can end sooner than later.

Everyone keeps saying how awesome the community is.

Yeah no, the community is "awesome" because no one ever listens, no one ever speaks, and when you try to coordinate them even a bit you get ignored therefor of course the community is awesome when no one ever speaks, no one is swearing at you.

Every week its the same thing..Join a game-->Leaver-->Wait 5mins and leave-->Enter second game-->Russians only or a whole game without a single word. Havent had anything else ever since i decided to buy the game in early summer and play since i couldnt be bothered waiting for a key.

Compared to that, i prefer getting banned in LoL for no reason when i yell at people for not listening when you try to coordinate them, and arguing with other people in HoN, at least they listen now and then, in Dota 2 its seriously 0 responses from anyone.