Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Good to hear. I just rarely (if at all) ever read about somebody saying something good about VG.
    Mostly because a lot of items can serve the same purpose while offering better future use, such as Tranquils+Soul Ring offering you decently good early game, regen and mana, but the boots can be disassembled and the Soul Ring is cheap. Many of these alternatives, including Tranquils+Soul Ring, are cheaper than Vanguard as well.

And heck, a PMS+naked Vitality Booster+Ring of Health offer about the same, while also allowing you to still build directly into Battle Fury and Heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Maybe my rationale isn't the case then. I assumed that because he was strongest in the late game then that's what you would primarily build him for, whereas building into an expensive early/mid item would simply delay those late game items.
    if your team can 4v5 for 20-25 minutes, don't build vanguard

if they cannot, build vanguard (or drums, sange, whatever.. vanguard is not the be-all and end-all mid-game survival item). much like cat durid, it is 4 fite.

anyway the biggest flaw with the item is that you cannot disassemble it. i have seen many people just go for a casual vitality booster instead (that allows you to build into heart later), or a point booster to build into a bloodstone or an aghanims scepter, depending on the hero (don't do this for am/spectre)

if you could disassemble it, it would probably be one of the most popular items in the game to build if you were getting an influx of gold early on (see: heroes of newerth)
    Last edited by Longview; 2013-08-29 at 04:45 PM.

Deleted
    Vanguard is a near useless item. Tranquil provides better regeneration, PMS is cheaper and provides solid block, casual Vitality Booster can be built into Heart, Drums provide health and other useful stats. The only thing Vanguard allows you to do is to fight early. Spectre and AM aren't usually that strong early game even with a Vanguard. If you want to fight, maybe you should pick a hero that is good at that.

On Spectre especially, Tranquil and Drums scale with Haunt. Vanguard does not.

For Vanguard to pay off on AM you better get pretty many kills because if the opposing team sees you building Vangaurd and start going more defensive and just decide to outfarm you (Alliance style) then you're in a pickle because AM doesn't farm fast without BF.
    Last edited by mmoc9f3c8526e6; 2013-08-29 at 05:35 PM.

new VP lineup looks pretty strong (shame smile left tho) hope they wont disband after few months

Deleted
    Vanguard has 60% chance for a 40 damage block (yes 60% due to PRD), and PMS has 100% chance to block 20 damage from heroes. Assuming you're only taking damage from heroes, this means that vanguard will only block 20% more damage, despite costing 1675 more. Sure it gives you extra hp and regen, but you're going to get those items anyway on AM, so it's even more waste.

wasnt push strats big deal when ppl used to go vanguard on carries , i can say i remember NaVi going for a push strat which resulted in a 8 min rax game

nowadays most early fighting carries are str heroes (ck-naix-dk - even no greed alche) and they can go for armlet for much more benefit

on the other hand most agility carries are either need at least 2 items to fight or are ranged so vanguard is useless , early fighting agility carries that pop to my mind are luna , gyro , razor , viper , weaver i mirana and you woudlnt get a vanguard on those

they should make it possible to disassemble a vanguard , it would make it alot more desireable , for example as AM you could disassemble it and use the ring on battlefury and booster on heart

Quote Originally Posted by Anaralah View Post
    they should make it possible to disassemble a vanguard , it would make it alot more desireable , for example as AM you could disassemble it and use the ring on battlefury and booster on heart
    Dont think that would be better. It would get core on far to many heroes. There is just to much you can build with the components. On the other hand its a complete waste of money know.

Not a total waste, reduces damage from summons to pretty much 0. You can charge into a team with Chen and Enigma without fear because their army of minions won't do any damage to you whatsoever, while they will totally wreck a non-vanguard hero in a matter of seconds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Has anything been mentioned which of the missing DotA 1 heroes will be implemented next in DotA 2? I want to finally play my Phoenix. D:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    Has anything been mentioned which of the missing DotA 1 heroes will be implemented next in DotA 2? I want to finally play my Phoenix. D:

Wait, which heroes aren't in Dota2 now?
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Wait, which heroes aren't in Dota2 now?
    I know for sure around 10 are still missing. Phoenix, Techies, Crusader (? never played him, he looks like the WC3 Garithos), Earth Spirit (earth Pandaren), Ember Spirit (? fire Pandaren), Frost Wyrm, Soul Stealer (was that even his name? The demon Illidan) ... Has Arc Warden been added? I think he is also missing. And I have probably forgotten one of the newer ones, because I never played them.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.cyborgmatt.com/

This guy keeps track of pretty much everything to do with the development of the game and compiles it for us. He has predictions for the next hero, as well as an Unreleased Hero Status bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    http://www.cyborgmatt.com/

This guy keeps track of pretty much everything to do with the development of the game and compiles it for us. He has predictions for the next hero, as well as an Unreleased Hero Status bar.
    Oh, thanks. And of course, Pit Lord. God, I feel stupid now. xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, thanks. And of course, Pit Lord. God, I feel stupid now. xD
    http://www.cyborgmatt.com/wp-content...emens-Duel.gif

This is his prediction for the next hero. Obviously, it's legion commander, but I find that gif to be absolutely hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    http://www.cyborgmatt.com/wp-content...emens-Duel.gif

This is his prediction for the next hero. Obviously, it's legion commander, but I find that gif to be absolutely hilarious.
    Dat gif. xD
    Well, one of the newer heroes I never played in DotA 1, so I may finally play him at least once to find out I suck horribly with him! \o/

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, Vanguard allows you to tank creep waves. It helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    hows anyone gonna crit you for >1000 dmg when 40 armor is 71% physical damage reduction

i mean you'd have to crit over 3400

thats not very realistic

I guess armor don't help when you get cleaved. So, Magnus ults', PA crits on CM and everyone dies, isn't it?

Aaand, usual items on PA is Battlefury + BKB, so, she can't be killed in two shots by skills, at least in first five minutes after buying BKB. And she has good amount of armor and evasion to be safe from melee attacks.
    Or Bane, Bane fucks her up really hard, her ulti goes through BKB and enfeeble right after it makes her(PA) useless. Unless Bane is CCed while ulting and PA will have free time to hit thing before enfeeble
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2013-08-30 at 02:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Going bfury on PA is a guaranteed way to lose.

plus in reality, i haven't seen people cleaving much in teamfights (outside of reverse polarity) at any skill level

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    plus in reality, i haven't seen people cleaving much in teamfights (outside of reverse polarity) at any skill level
    Well, in reality i haven't seen much Timbersaw who will land all his shots on one enemy. Usually they just randomly throw everything at all sides

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Going bfury on PA is a guaranteed way to lose.
    http://dotabuff.com/items/battlefury
    Well, it's more like 42% way to lose
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

40% winrate makes you as good as broodmother. Think about it.