10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    You're forgetting the part where you stand still and channel a spell for a second... In the middle of the enemy team.
    Under BKB effect. While your team engages at them as well. They have to retreat and lose 1 or two people, or fight
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted
    You're forgetting the part where you stand still and channel a spell for a second... In the middle of the enemy team.
    With BKB up and your team following up on your blink.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    they will have both wards and dust, and possibly gem to see you which renders SB useless.
    Not entirely true.
    Can't use blink dagger because enemies can disable it easily: Blink dagger does literally nothing.
    Can't use Sblade for initation because enemies can detect you: Sblade gives you attack damage and IAS.
    Initiating a team fight is usually what a SF does, along with Sand King, Enigma and similar heroes. You can't initiate with Shadowblade.
    idk he's not that great of a solo initiator. You blink in and enemy team suddenly just delta splits. Yeah it's better than Sblade if the enemy has literally constant vision of you but that's a pretty heavy assumption unless either of you are just barreling down midlane.

You're not a ward bitch unless you spend almost all of your gold on wards an counter wards, you will be playing against someone who does the exact same thing and your primary job is to locate and take out their wards, whilst keeping your own up...
    idk where you've seen wardbitches but most of the ones I've seen don't buy 10+ sentries and guesstimate where the enemy wards are.
    It's not like you can deward more than 2 things every 6 minutes.

This discussion has no merit if you're going to pull a BKB out of your ass.

Funny, it's not even remotely noticeable that you played at supposedly 1900 MMR. If you played HoN you should know who Tralfamadore is, and why arguing against his reasoning is rather stupid.
    I'm not even going to bother with HoNtrash arguments. I remember Tralf, but all HoN teams aside from old fnatic were shit and HoN 'meta' was basically just copying whatever people over at Dota were doing. Best HoN team there ever was was the worst competitive Dota 2 team for over 6 months until they finally got good at the game, even they all had history with competitive DotA.

You're just doing the mistake of thinking you know what you're talking about. You make broken assumptions like having a single carry somehow means you're bound for ultra-late game when in reality that means that you just drafted a somewhat balanced comp. You assume that there's just one way to play most heroes and carries. Just in saying 'most heroes' aren't that flexible you show off your ineptitude, any Dota veteran worth their salt will tell you the opposite of that. Just take a simple hero like Juggernaut for whom I've seen more good builds than I can remember, most of them serve different purposes, all of them are better than rushing BF even when Juggernaut is being played as a hard carry. And yes, Juggernaut is a hard carry if you make him be a hard carry, just like Sven is a great support if you know what you're doing.

I'll just invite you to go to the 'watch' tab inside Dota 2 client and follow the non-TMM games on the first page. I don't know if you know but generally the games are listed in order of total MMR starting from highest, so the first pages are the highest MMR games that are currently being played. I find myself quite often on those when playing alone. You can go ahead and look how many Blink SF's you will find among the highest rated players and how Shadowblade Alchemists wreck entire teams. Blink + BKB SF is a poor initiator and is rarely used as such.

And to be honest, the entire list of heroes that you can expect to see Battlefury on in more than 5% of games is like Kunkka, Alchemist, Magnus, Anti-Mage, Juggernaut, Void, PA. That's 7 heroes, and every veteran player I know would agree with me that going BF on any hero but AM is a very poor choice in most games.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2013-09-01 at 04:24 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    Not entirely true.
    Can't use blink dagger because enemies can disable it easily: Blink dagger does literally nothing.
    You are aware I assume, that you will be engaging from the shadows, when the enemy team knows you're nearby but not exactly where or when you will strike? There's no way they can disable it unless they have Radiance, and even that has a lower aoe range than of that a Blink Dagger can port you. You won't engage if they can prevent you from using it.

Can't use Sblade for initation because enemies can detect you: Sblade gives you attack damage and IAS.
    You don't go Shadowblade for damage, there are far better options, unless you're kunkka and rely on critting from stealth.

idk he's not that great of a solo initiator. You blink in and enemy team suddenly just delta splits. Yeah it's better than Sblade if the enemy has literally constant vision of you but that's a pretty heavy assumption unless either of you are just barreling down midlane.
    If you're playing against a team who knows what they are doing, they will have a pretty good general idea of where you are at all times, just as you should have a general idea of where they are. If they aren't on the minimap, where were they last seen, where can we see that they aren't? What is the most logical step they will take next? Not that difficult to figure out. A gem can be worth buying for the ward bitch for counter warding alone, countering an enemies SB on top of that is a bonus.

idk where you've seen wardbitches but most of the ones I've seen don't buy 10+ sentries and guesstimate where the enemy wards are.
    It's not like you can deward more than 2 things every 6 minutes.
    I've seen such ward bitches in tournament games, they are very, very common, and I've played as one against good opponents as well. Ward bitches can be level 8-10 when the rest of the team is up towards 16-20. A big reason for this is because their role is also to stack the jungle and ancients as often as possible, so your carry can clear them out. Wards should always be on cooldown on both teams, buying portals, wards and counter wards along with not taking any creep or hero kills will result in not being able to buy much else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    I'm not even going to bother with HoNtrash arguments. I remember Tralf, but all HoN teams aside from old fnatic were shit and HoN 'meta' was basically just copying whatever people over at Dota were doing. Best HoN team there ever was was the worst competitive Dota 2 team for over 6 months until they finally got good at the game, even they all had history with competitive DotA.
    You claim to know so much better yet you bring nothing to the table outside of "you're wrong because I said so!".

You're just doing the mistake of thinking you know what you're talking about. You make broken assumptions like having a single carry somehow means you're bound for ultra-late game when in reality that means that you just drafted a somewhat balanced comp. You assume that there's just one way to play most heroes and carries. Just in saying 'most heroes' aren't that flexible you show off your ineptitude, any Dota veteran worth their salt will tell you the opposite of that. Just take a simple hero like Juggernaut for whom I've seen more good builds than I can remember, most of them serve different purposes, all of them are better than rushing BF even when Juggernaut is being played as a hard carry. And yes, Juggernaut is a hard carry if you make him be a hard carry, just like Sven is a great support if you know what you're doing.
    Juggernaught up against Anti Mage or Spectre with equal farm late game, who do you think wins? Juggernaught doesn't stand a chance, it's the reason he's so strong early game. Doesn't matter what items you go, he will never be a hard carry, sorry. Next you will probably tell me that Zeus can be a hard carry with the right items.

I'll just invite you to go to the 'watch' tab inside Dota 2 client and follow the non-TMM games on the first page. I don't know if you know but generally the games are listed in order of total MMR starting from highest, so the first pages are the highest MMR games that are currently being played. I find myself quite often on those when playing alone. You can go ahead and look how many Blink SF's you will find among the highest rated players and how Shadowblade Alchemists wreck entire teams.
    You claim the Dota players are so much better than the HoN players, yet they fail on the most basic of things such as countering invisibility?

And to be honest, the entire list of heroes that you can expect to see Battlefury on in more than 5% of games is like Kunkka, Alchemist, Magnus, Anti-Mage, Juggernaut, Void, PA. That's 7 heroes, and every veteran player I know would agree with me that going BF on any hero but AM is a very poor choice in most games.
    Every veteran player I know would disagree with that, see how stupid this is? Bring me actual arguements for why it would be a bad idea, and maybe you would show some credibility. But as it stands, battlefury is one of the best farming tools for a melee carry, there's no arguing that. If you're coming with the "but it's terrible for early team fights!", then you're shooting yourself in the foot because such a hero shouldn't even be in the early team fights, unless you are guaranteed to survive and get a kill or two.
    Last edited by mmoce2fa46bcbe; 2013-09-01 at 04:16 PM.

Deleted
    This sentry dust thing has no merit really because it has been shown at even the highest level of play to not be able to cover everything and SB initiations are possible. SB Alchemist has been seen so many times and it works. The way you can farm is amazing with Shadow Blade. Blink doesn't allow the same thing. It also gives you damage and attack speed, pretty decent stats for most carry heroes.

SF's strength lies in his ability to flash farm and be a beast with item advantage and strong right clicks. The Blink Dagger style is for when you got a team that relies on heavy teamfight with AoE ulties like Naga, Tide, Dark Seer, Enigma etc. In a public game I'd say SB is better in 99% of the cases.

Shadow Blade works in the highest MMR. I get page 1 games on a daily basis when I solo queue and Shadow Blade isn't uncommon.

And you know, because you seem to like talking about pros (if you can actually call HoN players that) I just did a fun check back to TI3 games. I didn't watch TI3, but I noticed SF was picked 15 times and Blink was found 4 times. And the only team that picked up Blink was Na´Vi who didn't run SF as their main carry but rather had SF mid on Dendi who is rather well known for his Blink SF. And that wasn't even always a winning build even for a team that made Grand finals.

Speaking of grand finals, did you notice that Alchemist was picked 4 times in them, 4 times with Shadowblade and 0 times with Battle Fury? Or that total number of Battlefuries is mysteriously 0, and although number of Blink Daggers exceeds Shadowblades by 1 that's mostly due to Bat being in every game.

Actually looking at the 25 or so matches from the top end of Winner's and Loser's brackets, I can count like 3 Battlefuries, 2 on AM and 1 on Alchemist. Even most of these games seem to be over 40 minutes long with several carries in both teams. There seems to be a Shadowblade in most games too, often several. How interesting.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2013-09-01 at 04:49 PM.

Deleted
    You are aware I assume, that you will be engaging from the shadows, when the enemy team knows you're nearby but not exactly where or when you will strike?
    Funny how this works just as well for Lothar's
    Well assuming they don't have gem but gem is a pretty hefty investment if it fucks up.

You don't go Shadowblade for damage, there are far better options, unless you're kunkka and rely on critting from stealth.
    I'm aware but in some situations (read: teamfight X as opposed to game X) you're not in a position to do an ulti initiation regardless of item choice. In such a situation Lothar's clearly wins out.

If you're playing against a team who knows what they are doing, they will have a pretty good general idea of where you are at all times
    Yes but I can't buy sentries and go into "Radiant Jungle" and expect to just plop down sentries and eventually find SF.
    If they aren't on the minimap, where were they last seen, where can we see that they aren't? What is the most logical step they will take next? Not that difficult to figure out.
    I gotta admit I laughed
    #Chaozuipi #roadtoti4

I've seen such ward bitches in tournament games, they are very, very common, and I've played as one against good opponents as well.
    Okay.
    Ward bitches can be level 8-10 when the rest of the team is up towards 16-20.
    What does this have to do with anything.

A big reason for this is because their role is also to stack the jungle and ancients as often as possible, so your carry can clear them out.

Wards should always be on cooldown on both teams, buying portals, wards and counter wards along with not taking any creep or hero kills will result in not being able to buy much else.
    idk if you watched TI3 but my general impression of it was that teams that expected to be able to survive with underlevelled and underfarmed supports usually lost.
    Then again I didn't watch that many games.
    Even so, towers give global gold, assists, even if your entire team is there (discluding Meepo) a standard assist is still gonna give you ~80 gold, if you're not in a position to assist your lane or smokegank you can pull or just casually jungle depending on your hero, etc etc.
    Last edited by mmoc24ed1da916; 2013-09-01 at 05:07 PM.

Deleted
    And you know, because you seem to like talking about pros (if you can actually call HoN players that)
    Classy.

I just did a fun check back to TI3 games. I didn't watch TI3, but I noticed SF was picked 15 times and Blink was found 4 times. And the only team that picked up Blink was Na´Vi who didn't run SF as their main carry but rather had SF mid on Dendi who is rather well known for his Blink SF. And that wasn't even always a winning build even for a team that made Grand finals.
    Amusing how the rest gets away with simple invisibility then.

Speaking of grand finals, did you notice that Alchemist was picked 4 times in them, 4 times with Shadowblade and 0 times with Battle Fury? Or that total number of Battlefuries is mysteriously 0, and although number of Blink Daggers exceeds Shadowblades by 1 that's mostly due to Bat being in every game.
    Shadowblade isn't even an alternative to Battlefury, it's an alternative to Blink Dagger, you seem to be confusing their purposes here.

Actually looking at the 25 or so matches from the top end of Winner's and Loser's brackets, I can count like 3 Battlefuries, 2 on AM and 1 on Alchemist. Even most of these games seem to be over 40 minutes long with several carries in both teams. How interesting.
    Interesting indeed. Especially considering a team with several carries is less likely to have a hard carry because there is only so much gold you can get from the forest and ancients even when stacked. The only thing that means is that they are spreading the gold out on more heroes, rather than putting all of their faith in one hero. It's definitely a tactic that works, just as pushing early works, or having a hard carry works, it depends on what you prefer. In such a scenario, it's not strange at all not to find that many battlefuries.

Please, people, all these arguments are pointless.

First, you can't counter Shadow Blade without a gem, and even that is a weak counter. Why? It still gives no collision and a movespeed boost. Even if people dust you, you can easily just walk away from them with the windwalk. Surprise! I guess we all forgot that using dust doesn't shut off the item like getting hit does to blink dagger.

But then, nobody buys blink on SF to escape, they only buy it to engage. But why, then, didn't they just buy a Shadow Blade, which lets them do both AND gives them half a dagon in free nuke AND gives them attack speed and damage? Because they were afraid of dust? Pretty sad reason to not buy the vastly superior item, but I guess if you aren't good enough at positioning and timing to use a Shadow Blade against enemy true sight you shouldn't be using it at all, I agree to that.

Let's realize that there are only two situations in which ANYONE at a high level buys blink on SF. First, some people will rush it if their farm is good and they can get it by 10 minutes. Why? Because at this point in the game, Shadowraze still kills people from full in 3 hits. A very skilled player who can aim his Shadowrazes while he blinks around can be extremely difficult to deal with and they are bound to pick up kills with it, providing they don't screw up. Unfortunately, there are maybe a couple dozen players in the entire world who are good enough at SF to pull this off, which means that it is hardly a realistic argument for supporting blink dagger on SF.

Second reason for blink SF is to chain his ultimate. Of course, only an idiot stands next to SF while he channels his ultimate, and even if you don't see it coming AT ALL you still have time to get away from him. Without BKB, you can be easily stunned and cut in half or simply force staffed away from the enemy team, which means this strategy is actually a 6k gold investment, not a 2k gold one. The only realistic situation in which you should actually try to go "all in" with your gold to pull this off is if you can guarantee your ultimate does a ton of damage. Mostly this means having Dark Seer on your team to vacuum on top of you while you channel. If you don't, you probably shouldn't worry about the blink dagger, because you might hit one or two people with a half damage ultimate and there went 2150g.

But I mostly hate blink dagger for the same reason I hate battlefury - it does nothing to improve your hero at all. 5k gold just so you can farm better? Really? Even if you get it at 15, which is a pretty good timing for most heroes who did well in their lane, you just traded 15 minutes of farm away for nothing. Even if you could DOUBLE your GPM with the battlefury, it would take a minimum of another 15 minutes to start actually out-farming the alternate universe version of yourself who got real items instead. That means in a 30 minute game, you're just now at the same level you would have been originally, and now you can finally start outfarming the non-BF carrys. Given that you won't make a huge power gap in a few minutes, you've just gambled your entire team's win on the game lasting 45 minutes. I'd be willing to bet battlefury hardly ever wins a game that doesn't last at least 40-45 minutes, and the games it does win are probably such massive stomps you could've just rushed rapier.

Of course, Battlefury isn't as big of a waste as blink. It does give regen, which helps during farming, although it's meaningless for team fights. It does give damage, and that's way more than blink dagger can ever say. Unfortunately, for the gold cost, the damage gain is extremely inefficient. Still, blink dagger gives you absolutely nothing, and is even disabled once a team fight starts, unless you can duck behind trees and peel away for a few seconds.

Also, want to hear a funny little quirk about blink dagger initiations? They're 100% totally countered by observer wards! Which of course your "ward bitch" will be buying the entire game for you! Man, with every item in the game being countered somehow it really is tough to decide what to buy, isn't it?

I don't really have much more to say, if there was something else you wanted me to explain I'll be happy to. I have never regretted buying a shadow blade, it is an inherently overpowered item for the cost and really needs nerfs before it becomes standard in all games. Even now I've started watching 3 or 4 of them get purchased a game, people are figuring out awful fast how broken this item is. They might be a few years behind me, but hey, not everyone has my experience with the genre. I have regretted OTHER people buying shadow blade before, I've laughed at enemy SFs who get it at 25 minutes and still have 900 health, I've mourned allies getting it on Sniper and dying in one laguna blade. Like all items, you have to know when you can get it and when you can't, and like blink dagger or force staff, you have to know how to actually use it well or you're better off buying something else.

Oh, also, SF is a horrible hero anyway. SA is better, cloud is extremely strong and his early game is extremely scary. Only a fool picks SA to be a carry when he's more like a BH in role, and only a bigger fool picks SF at all.

Classy.
    I'm not kidding, literally the only HoN players who have made any name for themselves in Dota 2 are Singsing and the fnatic boys, and for them it was a lot of work.

Shadowblade isn't even an alternative to Battlefury, it's an alternative to Blink Dagger, you seem to be confusing their purposes here.
    This had nothing to do with Blink Dagger, that's just me pointing out the odd lack of Battle Furies and apparent surplus of Shadowblades.

All in all, you still seem to act like nobody in here but you can think. I'm sorry to say that you're miles behind me in this discussion because everything you've said and are about to say I've already said in here, only better. I was far from being right and I'm far from being the best or most knowledgeable player in here, so I'm done wasting my time. Just use the search function or read those 520 pages and then we can continue.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2013-09-01 at 05:21 PM.

Deleted
    Funny how this works just as well for Lothar's
    Well assuming they don't have gem but gem is a pretty hefty investment if it fucks up.
    If you're too afraid to get a gem just because you might die, you are bound to die. As I said previously, it's usually worth getting a gem to counter the enemies wards alone, countering SB is a bonus. There is no way of countering BD, you can counter SB, that's the key difference here.

Also, I would love it if you could stop calling the items by their Dota 1 names, this is Dota 2 is it not? I'm not using the HoN names am I?

I'm aware but in some situations (read: teamfight X as opposed to game X) you're not in a position to do an ulti initiation regardless of item choice. In such a situation Lothar's clearly wins out.
    If you're not able to do an ulti initiation regardless of item then how does SB help? That is also a result of bad positioning thus bad play, few items helps with that.

Yes but I can't buy sentries and go into "Radiant Jungle" and expect to just plop down sentries and eventually find SF.
    I never assumed you would. Having wards up however allows you to see the movement of the SF, it's not like it makes him invisible permanently, and it's also not like he knows exactly where you have placed your wards, if you're smart about it.

It goes to show that you won't be able to get a ghost scepter all that easily.

idk if you watched TI3 but my general impression of it was that teams that expected to be able to survive with underlevelled and underfarmed supports usually lost.
    Then again I didn't watch that many games.
    Even so, towers give global gold, assists, even if your entire team is there (discluding Meepo) a standard assist is still gonna give you ~80 gold, if you're not in a position to assist your lane or smokegank you can pull or just casually jungle depending on your hero, etc etc.
    They didn't lose due to the supporter being underfarmed as there is no such thing.

Lane Support:
    [...]their lack of dependence on gold and levels means said Carry can take all the farm for themselves without running the risk of soloing a lane.[...]
    Support:
    [...] Supports are not dependent on items (with some exceptions), and thus, most of their gold will be spent on items for the benefit of the team such as Animal Courier, Observer Ward, Sentry Ward, and Smoke of Deceit. [...]
    http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Role

If they lost then it was most likely due to the fact that the opposing team played a better hand. Their supports also got more farm due to this, and therefor ended up with better items. But their supports getting more items wasn't the reason for them winning.
    Last edited by mmoce2fa46bcbe; 2013-09-01 at 05:23 PM.

There is no way of countering BD
    Haunt, Thungergod's Wrath, Ice Blast, Nature's Wrath, or even just an observant ally with a long range spell like Powershot. I didn't want to get into an argument about blink dagger being counterable or not, since I think it's pretty easy to counter it just by knowing where the blink hero is in the first place, but honestly, to pretend there is *NO* way of countering it? Let's not.

Hell, half the heroes in the game have spells with cast ranges as long as a blink. It's really not a good item. There are only half a dozen heroes I would get it on, and none of them are carrys. Sand King needs it, Tide needs it maybe half the time, SS/Lion need it in some games, Lina needs it to carry, Magnus needs it as support, ES needs it if he doesn't have the balls to go shadow blade instead, Puck needs it because it's so broken with phase shift, Invoker needs it if he's incredibly manly and wants to drop ice walls on people, and that's about it. Half these heroes still won't buy it 80% of the time, and pretty much no other hero in the game should EVER buy it. Even Enigma doesn't really need it, unless your team is so poorly designed it relies on him catching multiple enemies at once in which case Enigma was not the hero of choice anyway.

Hilariously enough, blink is better on Kunkka than it is on SF.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2013-09-01 at 05:28 PM.

There is no way of countering BD, you can counter SB, that's the key difference here.
    The fact that you consider it a requirement for BKB to be added into the mix speaks otherwise.

Deleted
    I'm not kidding, literally the only HoN players who have made any name for themselves in Dota 2 are Singsing and the fnatic boys, and for them it was a lot of work.
    I would love for your Dota 2 teams to try out HoN and see how well they would do there, seriously, it would be wonderful.

All in all, you still seem to act like nobody in here but you can think.
    I have never claimed any such thing, nor do I believe any such thing, if that's what you believe of me, I'm sorry to say that you would be wrong. But I do find it amusing that you claim to be among the best yet you can't bring forth any valid arguments supporting your claims!

I'm sorry to say that you're miles behind me in this discussion because everything you've said and are about to say I've already said in here, only better.
    Then again, as I asked of you before, why don't you quote these lines, if they are so good? If it's you who posted them then they should be really easy to find, shouldn't they?

Key difference is that you have to actively counter Shadowblade, Blink Dagger counters itself as long as your awareness is good. The economical impact SB has on the enemy team and the amount of map control it gives you alone makes the item worth buying, you don't even ever have to use it for it to be a good buy.

Deleted
    The fact that you consider it a requirement for BKB to be added into the mix speaks otherwise.
    You will need BKB either way, or else you will be locked down and eaten alive in a matter of seconds.

Then again, as I asked of you before, why don't you quote these lines, if they are so good? If it's you who posted them then they should be really easy to find, shouldn't they?
    He doesn't want to quote them because it was me he was arguing with, and after he actually played Dota2 with me he realized how much of an idiot he was for ever thinking he knew more about the game than myself.

Deleted
    Key difference is that you have to actively counter Shadowblade, Blink Dagger counters itself as long as your awareness is good. The economical impact SB has on the enemy team and the amount of map control it gives you alone makes the item worth buying, you don't even ever have to use it for it to be a good buy.
    As I said before, it shouldn't even impact the amount of gold the enemy team spends on these things, because they should be doing it regardless. Otherwise Riki would be among the best and most picked heroes since he gets an even better invisibility automatically.