Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    @Hermanni
    Yes, I can. You don't have to understand, play DotA for another ten years and maybe you will.
    Only thing I understand is you're borderlining on narcissism in every post. On a worse day I might argue my dota knowledge goes far and beyond yours, but I'm not really interested in engaging in nerd turf wars, especially with someone with delusions of grandeur or whatever it is that makes them think they're beyond explaining themselves.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2012-06-20 at 01:52 AM.

Yea it happened so badly in dota 1 it was annoying. I'm curious what they cold they do to prevent it though. Captains mode i guess?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    Yea it happened so badly in dota 1 it was annoying. I'm curious what they cold they do to prevent it though. Captains mode i guess?
    Supposedly what bans are for, but there are so many heroes you can't really predict for everything.

Tobiiiiiiiiiiiiii

10+ Year Old Account
    Supposedly what bans are for, but there are so many heroes you can't really predict for everything.
    And I think that's important, too. You should ban the heroes you know the other team favors, or you know your team has issues with. You still have to be able to deal with whatever they pick, though. How can you force them to make mistakes, or how can you force the game to play out in a way that favors your lineup?

I don't think it's fair to say "okay these guys win by default," based purely on picks, because nobody has a perfect game. There was a recent game with Quantic versus I want to say aL where aL was ahead most of the game - they'd kept Quantic's Morphling down on CS and been getting a great game on their Anti-Mage (picked to counter Morphling, among others) and suddenly they make one little mistake on a gank and it snowballs into Quantic's Morphling getting an ultra kill, completely and totally erasing the gold and XP advantage aL had up to that point.

And then the game crashed, lul.

I understand where you're coming from, though, and what you're doing is pretty much what any good bookie or anyone who bets on sports or fights does. You just assume they'll play a perfect game because you can't make assumptions about them making or not making a mistake.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    I understand where you're coming from, though, and what you're doing is pretty much what any good bookie or anyone who bets on sports or fights does. You just assume they'll play a perfect game because you can't make assumptions about them making or not making a mistake.
    Yes, thank you. And it won't always be right. But when we're talking about these players, it will probably be right more than it is wrong.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is there still a huge delay on your movement, it has been a while since I played the beta?
    If we compare to LoL, what is the delay then?

Yes, thank you. And it won't always be right. But when we're talking about these players, it will probably be right more than it is wrong.
    Moba games are always like that. It's like that in HoN as well. If the game is well balanced the impact isn't as bad. If the game lacks balance the impact is felt much more.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    Moba games are always like that. It's like that in HoN as well. If the game is well balanced the impact isn't as bad. If the game lacks balance the impact is felt much more.
    I would agree that this genre is especially bad about it.

@Jegerhellig
    All heroes have varying turn speeds, no hero has a turn speed in LoL that I remember.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    RUBICK OMGWTF WANT

Nuff said. Can;t wait to Spell Steal Tiny's throw and just launch people around the fight. Heh.

Can't wait to spellsteal pretty much any ultimate in the game...

Even worse than PA? Will see. At least people shouldn't rage quit immediately just because someone else picked agility on their team. Is Rubick actually the next guess for hero installment or is he ogre 2.0?

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't wait to spellsteal pretty much any ultimate in the game...

Even worse than PA? Will see. At least people shouldn't rage quit immediately just because someone else picked agility on their team. Is Rubick actually the next guess for hero installment or is he ogre 2.0?
    No one can beat Ogre at anything. Nothing is better than watching the Random Number God decide to take a massive, diseased shit on someone.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    No one can beat Ogre at anything. Nothing is better than watching the Random Number God decide to take a massive, diseased shit on someone.
    I really hate playing that guy. I swear I can never get a single Fireblast Multicast, but whenever I want to Bloodlust...BAM! Multi x 100000000. Same goes for me with any random proc ability: I barely get any stuns with Void or Slardar, barely get any bashes with Spirit Breaker, barely get any procs of Counter Helix with Axe, I ALWAYS get the lowest damage / duration for Chaos Knight's stun etc... I tend to avoid playing those guys if possible. I swear I'm the unluckyiest DoTA player

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    I see people ragequitting in maybe 1/4 games or fewer, and it's almost always during the first minute or when the game is already over so it doesn't even matter. "Valve refuses to put any resources" sounds like a typical MMOC bullshit sentiment so I'll just leave it at that. And I again welcome you to take a round of low-priority matchmaking to catch the feeling of how abandoning doesn't matter at all.
    First of all, your hugely lucky then. I stick with my 95%, it's literally driving me mad. Nearly every game I get a leaver, from either side, and it's in that first minute or last couple of mins, it's about 5-10mins in, after they have died and fed the enemies.

Low-priority means jackall, I've been put there numerous times on my secondary account, because I've gone mental over the fact that one of my teammates has fed and quit the game. I have to wait an extra 30seconds to find a game for the next 8hours, oh no!

What I'm sick of, is people going 'Hey, so I'm playing **** and I'm **** Lane, otherwise I'll feed and quit, deal?'. These people drive me even more angry, and they ruin the game, and obviously don't get highly effected by this Low-Priority Queue.
    I agree with Lysah on how Valve isn't treating it properly. I actually would prefer the whole DotaCash bots approach, and barring someone from playing for a certain amount of time after a couple of quits/intentional feeding. But they won't, because 'OH NO, the casuals might get angry'. Ugh.

The super bad casuals have ruined games, for all of us.

---------- Post added 2012-06-20 at 07:09 PM ----------

Is Rubick actually the next guess for hero installment or is he ogre 2.0?
    Rubick is coming out this week, Dotacinema have their video up for him, with his abilities and everything, fully functional and working, not just like the portraiture of Ogre which started the whole Treant surprise..
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

High Overlord Ultraviolet Harmonies's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    What I'm sick of, is people going 'Hey, so I'm playing **** and I'm **** Lane, otherwise I'll feed and quit, deal?'.
    mid

or

FEED

Last edited by Ultraviolet Harmonies; 2012-06-20 at 11:16 AM.

I'd be willing to wager that PA/CK/etc can be just as bad at the RNG fuck. Three or four crits in a row from these heroes and you'll forget all about ogre.

Deleted
    One small question. I've been reading a bit about the 'competitive scene' in MOBA's, and many people like DotA better for that than LoL, as it's apparently more skill-based.

I am wondering then...why are there so many random things?
    - Crit chance (although this is also in LoL)
    - Quite some skills with RNG
    - Runes apparently spawn based on RNG (although I haven't paid attention to them in the bot-games I played yet)
    - gold you get from minions is a random number between 30 and 50 (or somewhere between those numbers).

Doesn't this make it a bit too random for tournaments? Where one lucky crit can destroy you? Feels like low-level crit-plank in LoL whole over again.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending one of either games, and I'm also not saying things like crit are not counterable etc., I'm just wondering why there is quite some randomness in the game mechanics for a competitive game. Just out of curiosity too, as I don't care much about competitive gaming =)

Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    One small question. I've been reading a bit about the 'competitive scene' in MOBA's, and many people like DotA better for that than LoL, as it's apparently more skill-based.

I am wondering then...why are there so many random things?
    - Crit chance (although this is also in LoL)
    RNG applies both sides

- Quite some skills with RNG
    no

- Runes apparently spawn based on RNG (although I haven't paid attention to them in the bot-games I played yet)
    it's either bot or top. Both teams have same advantage, again, it doesn't effect the balance

- gold you get from minions is a random number between 30 and 50 (or somewhere between those numbers).
    that -4 gold from creep will make drastic change in gold graph

Doesn't this make it a bit too random for tournaments? Where one lucky crit can destroy you? Feels like low-level crit-plank in LoL whole over again.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending one of either games, and I'm also not saying things like crit are not counterable etc., I'm just wondering why there is quite some randomness in the game mechanics for a competitive game. Just out of curiosity too, as I don't care much about competitive gaming =)
    RNG in DotA affects very very litte.

If you watch team fights from professional games, the majority of the action is not RNG based. Most kills are made off of hard CC, the kind of thing you can't RNG your way out of. The variation in gold reward per kill is not even noticeable.

Higher level players who are playing for prize money tend to prefer not to let their victory be a dice roll, either. Heroes such as PA and ogre who are completely reliant on their RNG are not highly favorable among competitive teams.