10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    Yes, sheepstick, Eul's, Blink Dagger, Force Staff, BKB etc are just fluff and don't promote more thinking when it comes to counters, no not at all.

How many games of DotA have you played?
    All the items you listed are built into some champions abilities, Sheepstick = lulu polymorph, Eul's is a CC type many champions have, Blind = flash, Force staff = Lee sin knockback. BKB = Banshees veil. These items add nothing to the MOBA genre that seperates dota from other MOBAs. Pointless fluff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MKing View Post
    All the items you listed are built into some champions abilities, Sheepstick = lulu polymorph, Eul's is a CC type many champions have, Blind = flash, Force staff = Lee sin knockback. BKB = Banshees veil. These items add nothing to the MOBA genre that seperates dota from other MOBAs. Pointless fluff.
    I can't think of a single item or spell in LoL that imitates Eul's beyond Zhonya's hourglass. Blink dagger is not even close to flash considering the puny range. Force Staff is far far far far far more versatile than Lee Sin knockback and Banshee's Veil is more comparable to Linkens.

I ask again, how many games of DotA have you played?

High Overlord Ultraviolet Harmonies's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I... uh. Wow. Okay.

Many items are similar to many DotA hero abilities too. BKB? Repel(omni). Guinsoo(sheepstick)? Hex(Lion/Rhasta). Eul? Brewmaster ult. Rod of atos? Open wounds(naix). Ghost scepter? Pugna banish. Dagon? Lion/Lina ult.

But that doesn't matter. Items are there to extend your heroes arsenal of abilities; one can buy a statstick(which can be good too ofcourse!), but one could also use that money to buy an extra ability (generally the item you buy has sort of synergy with your hero).

Items make your hero customizable. There is no definite X way to play some hero (at least not for every hero), and this is what makes DotA fun. For instance, one game I play NS as semi-carry, next game I play him as support, and so on.

just leave this thread k?

I just started playing (mainly played HON) and it's been a hard transition. Everything just feels so much damn slower. Buy menu is annoying as hell to. Has anyone else experienced what I'm going through?

The complexity of DotA comes from

microing units, blocking, juking, hit-walk, animation cancel, projectile dodging, fog of war, creep pulling, creep stacking, deny, spawn canceling, skillshots(real skillshots, unlike lame skillshots of LoL which I call freeshots) and TONS OF active items... but obviously MKing has no idea about these concepts but items in dota.Again, do us a favor and please stick with LoL.

Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    I just started playing (mainly played HON) and it's been a hard transition. Everything just feels so much damn slower. Buy menu is annoying as hell to. Has anyone else experienced what I'm going through?
    I did...when I was trying to play HoN. About game pace...You need to get used with it. I think HoN is fast-paced compared to DotA.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2012-06-20 at 07:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Finear View Post
    just leave this thread k?
    Aww is someone upset that their game isn't different than the others besides some small metagame stuff, You do realize that team members from the original dota also made LoL?

Also, yes the LoL items are simplified. That's not a bad thing unless you are trying to build your nerd boner. Yes people build glass cannon builds at Low ELO and normal games, but they would be destroyed at higher ELO. There are viable builds with unique items in LoL, But most people in normal games just use glass cannon stuff to destroy noobs that after the match will say "LoL is too easy" even though they were the ones that died.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/items
    Last edited by MKing; 2012-06-20 at 08:15 PM.

Aww is someone upset that their game isn't different than the others besides some small metagame stuff
    yeah im so angry right now
    you are wrong
    and dumb or troll so just go away

You do realize that team members from the original dota also made LoL?
    no shit sherlock

10+ Year Old Account
    SNIPE
    Dota 1 i probably played around 800 matches, and the only other gametype i played was Fireblades mutating heroes arena(which i wish they would make an actual game of).

Dota 2 i'v had beta since april and probably played a little over 20 matches, I'm just so used to LoL's quick matches which unless you get a 20 minutes match where you are dominating your opponents the game lasts way too long.

Can some moderator clean out this dota VS lol battle of the titans bullshit please?

Deleted
    Aww is someone upset that their game isn't different than the others besides some small metagame stuff, You do realize that team members from the original dota also made LoL?
    And the guys who made the Thief series could take a shit on a sunday morning, it still wouldn't be as good.
    Also, yes the LoL items are simplified. That's not a bad thing unless you are trying to build your nerd boner. Yes people build glass cannon builds at Low ELO and normal games, but they would be destroyed at higher ELO. There are viable builds with unique items in LoL, But most people in normal games just use glass cannon stuff to destroy noobs that after the match will say "LoL is too easy" even though they were the ones that died.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/items
    It certainly creates depth. Differing item builds compared on the situation are far and wide more relevant in DotA than in LoL. Sure you might get a gangel instead of that second bloodthirster and if the enemy team is full AD you'll make a thornmail if you feel like it but other than that varying builds are usually never done (excluding tanks, they have to choose armor or MR when making an item. Very exciting). Especially when it comes to skill builds.

The "unique" effects of LoL items are laughably simple and are only ever made because they synergize with you, not with what your allies or enemies are playing. The only aura items that support champions usually build are Shurelia's and maybe Aegis and that's it and they're usually core to that champion and not to the game.

Actually, just thought of something. Sash to counter Mordekaiser. That's about all I can think of.
    Last edited by mmoc24ed1da916; 2012-06-20 at 08:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jangri- View Post
    Can some moderator clean out this dota VS lol battle of the titans bullshit please?
    Yes please, someone admit that the Dota 2 items add no gameplay that sets it apart from the rest so we can get back on-topic.

---------- Post added 2012-06-20 at 08:47 PM ----------

SNIPE.
    You must not watch much high ranked play, builds differ drastically especially so if certain champions are in play.

Basically the builds you are mentioning are always used in Low ELO/Normal games.
    Last edited by MKing; 2012-06-20 at 08:48 PM.

Deleted
    Yes please, someone admit that the Dota 2 items add no gameplay that sets it apart from the rest so we can get back on-topic.

---------- Post added 2012-06-20 at 08:47 PM ----------

You must not watch much high ranked play, builds differ drastically especially so if certain champions are in play.
    Yeah, a Mekansm certainly can't decide a teamfight, and is never built on a these so called 'pro' matches. Also what are things like Pipe of Insight or Drums of Endurance, they add nothing to the game

10+ Year Old Account
    SNIPE
    Sash is used to counter alot of champions actually especially suppression champs.

Can you just admit you don't actually know anything about dota and go back to some league of something forums to circlejerk how great lol is and how anti-fun dota is?

Deleted
    Sash is used to counter alot of champions actually especially suppression champs.
    That's why you carry oranges.

Basically the builds you are mentioning are always used in Low ELO/Normal games.
    I watched tournament games for a bit before I realized 80% of them are going to be 8-10 kills, teamfight breaks out, winner pushes all the way to mid/gets baron and wins. The most shocking build I saw was a Wriggle's-heavy team so they could get dragon early.

Deleted
    I just have one thing to say.

DOOOOOOOOTAAAAAAAAAAA<3<33<33

That is all, back to you Cave Johnson.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    Can you just admit you don't actually know anything about dota and go back to some league of something forums to circlejerk how great lol is and how anti-fun dota is?
    Now that you mentions this, i was reading before about the term anti-fun. Basically a LOL thread why invoker was the pinnacle of anti-fun. It was really hilarious. l
    Every mechanic that bestows the feeling of helplessness to the enemy will never be implemented according to that thread aka blood seekers ultimate is anti-fun because you can't move. I mean is LOL really defined around these kind of concepts for instances crits are considered fun, yet dodging/evasion is considered anti-fun. Those Devs must really be morons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eemuman View Post
    Yeah, a Mekansm certainly can't decide a teamfight, and is never built on a these so called 'pro' matches. Also what are things like Pipe of Insight or Drums of Endurance, they add nothing to the game

This This and a 1000 times this.
    Items in Dota add quite much depth really.