Quote Originally Posted by Storm the Sorrow View Post
    oh you evil thing you :P
    I would never waste my time doing it, but it might make some people feel better =p

Deleted
    [QUOTE=Lycoris;19009761]snip.
    [QUOTE]

That cant be right, i searched my name and very high rating just for lulz and giggles and lo and behold im there in one game, most recent games are in high rating, must be broken

Vengeful Spirit is just THAT awesome.
    She's a hybrid of a support+carry+initiator+disabler not to mention buffs and debuffs.
    playing supports is my thing in dota in general, dont like those low-skill pub-stopmpers like void, Mortred, Riki..
    Last edited by Morally Grey Storm; 2012-11-07 at 06:35 AM.

How does the eggs works?
    You will not be forgotten, Eleanor / Steam ID / DeviantArt page / YouTube / Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    If Valve says I'm average then so I am. Valve's never lied to me in ze past!
    I can't remember where the replay parse was, but I remember reading that approximately 84% of replays are listed as "normal" (and 14% as "high" and 2% as "very high"), so that might as well be higher than average.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    I can't remember where the replay parse was, but I remember reading that approximately 84% of replays are listed as "normal" (and 14% as "high" and 2% as "very high"), so that might as well be higher than average.
    I'm still wondering how "average" should be defined. The term usually means "middle of the road," but the "average" player in Dota (and most other games, I guess) seems to have no fucking clue what they're doing and in many cases doesn't even care. But they represent the majority of players, so should that be what defines "average," or should we be judging off of "absolute" skill and regarding all those people as something below "average"?

I hope that makes sense. Maybe a better way of explaining it would be like... in a class, most people score below 60 on a test, but a score of 75 would be considered "average." So, should you define the term based by number of people, or only off of the actual number?

EDIT: In regards to Dota, I wouldn't mind seeing Valve implement a "leagues," system like in SC2, though ideally without the moronic "we're gonna divide every 100 players into divisions so your ranking has no actual meaning!" thing. Maybe make rank within each league be only visible to the player themselves, but league is public. This gives everyone a very rough approximation of where they lie on the skill curve, and the specific rank within leagues gives players an idea of how much harder they need to work if they want to try to break into the next one.
    Last edited by PizzaSHARK; 2012-11-07 at 10:07 AM.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I've seen a lot of League of Legend trashes lately...Someone fucks up in team and LoL-trash suggest for report. The funny thing is friend of mine told me that there is a report type for "low skill level" or "unskilled player" in LoL. Is it a fucking joke?

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    but the "average" player in Dota (and most other games, I guess) seems to have no fucking clue what they're doing and in many cases doesn't even care. But they represent the majority of players, so should that be what defines "average," or should we be judging off of "absolute" skill and regarding all those people as something below "average"?
    That's what I call trash in DotA. Average means you know mechanics of the and heroes items builds etc. If you execute the strategy or whatever you planning in your head with success that means you are good but since DotA is a team game determining individual skill is very hard after a certain point. Scores/ratings are defined in a relative fashion.

and those statistics of valve are complete bullcrap.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2012-11-07 at 10:16 AM.

It's really hard if not impossible to determine what is average without all the numbers in the MMR system (and even that only tells part of the truth.) For a single player it's extremely hard to get a good picture not only of the entire skill spectrum but also of their respective sizes. And most people probably couldn't even correctly place themselves on the skill spectrum.

Statistically speaking there are several ways to determine 'average', and while none of those are particularly useful in this it's good to remember that every player will have a different idea of what 'average' is. If you say "I'm an average player" to someone else, that probably wouldn't give them a very good idea of what your skill level is as you two might have a very different idea of how skilled the average player is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    It's really hard if not impossible to determine what is average without all the numbers in the MMR system (and even that only tells part of the truth.) For a single player it's extremely hard to get a good picture not only of the entire skill spectrum but also of their respective sizes. And most people probably couldn't even correctly place themselves on the skill spectrum.

Statistically speaking there are several ways to determine 'average', and while none of those are particularly useful in this it's good to remember that every player will have a different idea of what 'average' is. If you say "I'm an average player" to someone else, that probably wouldn't give them a very good idea of what your skill level is as you two might have a very different idea of how skilled the average player is.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Because I'd say my skill is strictly average... but the majority of players are completely terrible at the game and probably don't even know all the heroes, let alone even basic gameplay concepts.

I'd really just prefer MMR numbers be visible, but for whatever reason, developers seem to be shying away from that these days.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Visible MMR will only cause shitstorm in a system where people solo queue to the games.

Expect bunch of "I'm better than you...my rating is herp and yours is derp" kind of convos. The mathematical calculation of skill in DotA would be very complex and I bet it would'nt be feasable to implement. It's easier to make a separate rating based league. I'm pretty sure current matchmaking rating does not consider the amount of wards you put and where you put while calculating your rating.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2012-11-07 at 11:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Visible MMR will only cause shitstorm in a system where people solo queue to the games.

Expect bunch of "I'm better than you...my rating is herp and yours is derp" kind of convos.
    To be fair, those already exist. It's the same shit as people Armory trolling back in World of Warcraft - if they don't have an actual answer, just look them up and change the subject.

Shit, if they'd just implement region locks for public matchmaking they could damned near scrap MMR entirely.

Turns out most of my games are normal skill level, with exception of one which is on high.

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post

You have no idea. I have it on good authority Lysah actually kills people in games
    does she purr while doing so? >:3

Deleted
    I've seen a lot of League of Legend trashes lately...Someone fucks up in team and LoL-trash suggest for report. The funny thing is friend of mine told me that there is a report type for "low skill level" or "unskilled player" in LoL. Is it a fucking joke?

That's what I call trash in DotA. Average means you know mechanics of the and heroes items builds etc. If you execute the strategy or whatever you planning in your head with success that means you are good but since DotA is a team game determining individual skill is very hard after a certain point. Scores/ratings are defined in a relative fashion.

and those statistics of valve are complete bullcrap.

No theres no report for low skill or unskilled players. Your friends are one of those assholes that reports people for that ? Then they should have the beta revoked.

well, unfortunately there is no douche-proof(or idiot-proof, for instance) system so all you really can is deal with it or swear here on forums
    so dont get it through to you, you will have your fair share of godawful games due to ru/bra/us/whatever teammates aswell

p.s. or, to paraphrase, "shit happens"
    There is a system, it's called localization. Your ip is specific to a particular region, because ip's are leased from telecommunications companies.

What valve do is look at your ip, and lock your region, so that you can no longer choose.

---------- Post added 2012-11-07 at 01:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by verba View Post
    No theres no report for low skill or unskilled players. Your friends are one of those assholes that reports people for that ? Then they should have the beta revoked.
    He means in LoL, and yes League of Legends does have a report for low skilled players "lol"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    There is a system, it's called localization. Your ip is specific to a particular region, because ip's are leased from telecommunications companies.

What valve do is look at your ip, and lock your region, so that you can no longer choose.
    and the point of such an action would be?

10+ Year Old Account
    and the point of such an action would be?
    To ensure everyone on the server shares a common language.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    To ensure everyone on the server shares a common language.
    and what if I am a russian guy with a fair bit of good knowledge in Engrishe, willing to play with english-speaking people?
    pass some test unto me?
    deny me such an opportunity?

I hope they do not implement region locks...I don't want to play in my region.

---------- Post added 2012-11-07 at 06:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    He means in LoL, and yes League of Legends does have a report for low skilled players "lol"
    This directly leads community into fight. I really don't know how did they come up with this idea...

Deleted
    This directly leads community into fight. I really don't know how did they come up with this idea...
    As far as I'm aware, reporting for low skilled doesn't do anything. Rumor is you have a slightly lower chance of getting queued with that person but as far as I'm aware, nobody's ever been b& for it. As far as I'm aware.