Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Quake new old best game ever?

Maybe.
    Fatal1ty biggest sellout in gaming history?

Maybe.

It's all about the Benjamins!

Yes I did just say that.

Tonight's test-patch broke custom announcer packs. Too bad we'll never see the NBA Jam-pack in the store. I'd pay top dollar.

Deleted
    Recently tested the remake and it's unplayable, even compared to W3 original.

Well I can understand the horrible voice acting, that might be kind of choice,
    I have no idea however what were thinking about the more important parts of design: running some flash animation or whatever on background just to totally kill your FPS? Make the whole UI worse than Bloodline Champions one? Don't include any colorblind mode? Use completely unimaginable icons for items so that you can never remember them? Bloat map with that much foliage? Don't offer any zoom out feature when W3 dota literally bled with that low vision....

Well thought that user friendliness could be the selling thing over W3 dota, guess they have very different opinion on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Quake new old best game ever?

Maybe.
    That'd be UT2k4. But you're close!

---------- Post added 2012-11-08 at 11:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AFK-Champion View Post
    Well thought that user friendliness could be the selling thing over W3 dota, guess they have very different opinion on it.
    Sounding like a troll post.

But: Dota 2 is meant to be as close to a carbon copy of War3 Dota as possible. If you were expecting Dota 2 to be different, you showed up with the wrong expectations.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Bloat map with that much foliage?
    Not sure what to say about this one, every tree in DotA is important since there are paths through every forest to run through and evade enemies. They even went through a few years(!?) ago and cut out the bottom right corner, it used to be a huge mass of trees, but they wanted to keep the woods important and not just scenery.

I will agree that the voice acting can be downright terrible for some heroes. Syllabear and Luna in particular make me not want to play them because I can't stand listening to it. OD, on the other hand, is great.

I'd say Dota 2 has the best voice acting out of any multiplayer I've ever played. Even if you dislike some of them you can't help but to admire the amount of work and attention to detail there is to them.

There's little need to respond to posts like the one above when it's fairly obvious it's just another "I usually play other games and I tried this once and it felt different so it was shit. Here are random things I didn't like in the 10 minutes I spent playing the game."

The pace of gameplay has little to do with reaction time. HoN had a lot smaller FoV compared to dota and a lot of heroes designed to spam all their spells out in a second to hopefully kill the enemy. That combined with the lack of input delay is what gives HoN players the impression of more fast-paced gameplay. In contrast to LoL every Dota hero is unique in the way they handle - differences in movement speed, turn rate, casting and attack animations. They're part of game balance and part of why Dota might appear slower, because your hero won't turn 180 degrees and use his escape ability instantly. Additionally, because of the turning or casting speeds, you actually often have a much smaller margin of error when reacting to something in Dota - reaction isn't always enough if you can't predict your enemy.

Sure there are a lot of games that might be less about strategy and more about playing like a teenager in sugar and coffeine high, but that alone doesn't mean they're the only games that require good reflexes. In dota-like games your reflexes are simply tested less often than every 2 seconds but your life can still depend on whether you reacted fast enough or not. Lysah might be able to play one-handed while on Valium, but I'm still sure I could watch a few replays and find a situation where they failed to react fast enough. Discussion about what game takes more skill, apm, reaction, multi-tasking, strategy or whatever is fairly pointless anyway, that road always leads back to Brood War.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2012-11-09 at 08:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    I'd say Dota 2 has the best voice acting out of any multiplayer I've ever played. Even if you dislike some of them you can't help but to admire the amount of work and attention to detail there is to them.

There's little need to respond to posts like the one above when it's fairly obvious it's just another "I usually play other games and I tried this once and it felt different so it was shit. Here are random things I didn't like in the 10 minutes I spent playing the game."

The pace of gameplay has little to do with reaction time. HoN had a lot smaller FoV compared to dota and a lot of heroes designed to spam all their spells out in a second to hopefully kill the enemy. That combined with the lack of input delay is what gives HoN players the impression of more fast-paced gameplay. In contrast to LoL every Dota hero is unique in the way they handle - differences in movement speed, turn rate, casting and attack animations. They're part of game balance and part of why Dota might appear slower, because your hero won't turn 180 degrees and use his escape ability instantly. Additionally, because of the turning or casting speeds, you actually often have a much smaller margin of error when reacting to something in Dota - reaction isn't always enough if you can't predict your enemy.

Sure there are a lot of games that might be less about strategy and more about playing like a teenager in sugar and coffeine high, but that alone doesn't mean they alone need reflexes. In dota-like games your reflexes are simply tested less often than every 2 seconds but your life can still depend on whether you reacted fast enough or not. Lysah might be ableplay one-handed while on Valium, but I'm still sure I could watch a few replays and find a situation where they failed to react fast enough. Discussion about what game takes more skill, apm, reaction, multi-tasking, strategy or whatever is fairly pointless anyway, that road always leads back to Brood War.
    Auto-mine was the single greatest thing Blizzard ever did for Starcraft.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Deleted
    running some flash animation or whatever on background just to totally kill your FPS?
    I'm not sure just how recent my laptop specs are but the only time I dip on medium is at the very beginning during picks, Jak ult might make me go down to 40 at best. Did you try turning down the render quality?
    Make the whole UI worse than Bloodline Champions one?
    I dun' geddit. I mean the pick menu is still as it is but everything else works fine.
    Don't include any colorblind mode?
    http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?...l=1#post214723
    Use completely unimaginable icons for items so that you can never remember them?
    Are you sure you just don't have enough experience? After about 10-20 games, I knew the majority and "sort of what they did" already.
    Bloat map with that much foliage?
    I'm not sure if you've got a beef with the grass but that's about the only non-interactive foliage. Some bushes too but I think you can even turn those off.
    Don't offer any zoom out feature when W3 dota literally bled with that low vision....
    >Using literally as an intensifying adverb.
    AFKC pls
    Did you check out the matchmaking, the improved distinction between minions and heroes, the updated shop, the addition of bots with actual difficulty levels instead of just different costs on items, the planned mentoring system, the planned tutorial, etc etc?

Yes, I was bored, so sue me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    I'm not sure if you've got a beef with the grass but that's about the only non-interactive foliage. Some bushes too but I think you can turn those off.
    The foliage is more important than what you think. Go take a closer look. Every little piece signifies tower sight range, neutral camp spawn zones and thus also good ward placement spots for blocking purposes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    The foliage is more important than what you think. Go take a closer look. Every little piece signifies tower sight range, neutral camp spawn zones and thus also good ward placement spots for blocking purposes.
    The only ones I really noticed were the "magic bush" and that spot near Radiant's bot that also shows rune. Guess I gotta pay more attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    Lysah might be able to play one-handed while on Valium, but I'm still sure I could watch a few replays and find a situation where they failed to react fast enough.
    Actually, yesterday I played a game where I was N'aix bot against QoP. I was pretty much letting her waste her time auto attacking me while I farmed, so she did have me at half health. When I was 5 I was just sitting around waiting for some CS and I saw her rear back to ult. I wasn't really in "need to use rage" mode so I kind of just watched it happen, I had a good laugh at myself there. Are deaths like this reaction speed problems? I'm not so sure. Far too often deaths in DotA are due to miscalculations, being out of position, stupid dives, or "being greedy" (don't want to waste mana on X ability).

Ppl consider dota (and dota 2 ) one of the best strategy games ever, in anothet category so was Counter-Strike.If u try to compare LoL vs Dota its like u are trying to compare Counter-strike vs Unreal Tournament.Simply,U CANT.Totally different games totally different strategies.

P.S Just to make things hot,dota skill>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LoL skills

Not sure if this is the right place but I have two dota keys that they gave me since a friend of mine wanted me to play giving me a key so i tested it really wasn't much my thing any ways point is I got two keys and already tried my facebook so if any one wants them just send me a message on steam or my LoL account "wolfsocean"

Deleted
    I'm not sure just how recent my laptop specs are but the only time I dip on medium is at the very beginning during picks, Jak ult might make me go down to 40 at best. Did you try turning down the render quality?
    Had to find out that you can get console and turn off the background animation in menu (that made main menu usable, still not fast), apparently more people have the same problem. Funny enough, changing render quality in video options makes the game render in much lower resolution and scale it up. Don't help menu issues at all though.

Yes I had to figure out to get console up, so I found those variables as well. They are utterly useless, because all they change are mouseover highlights and minimap colors.

Did you check out the matchmaking, the improved distinction between minions and heroes, the updated shop, the addition of bots with actual difficulty levels instead of just different costs on items, the planned mentoring system, the planned tutorial, etc etc?
    Most of these are must have when you are making new game. But not really a way to check that when you have absolutely no idea what is going on when everything looks yellow/brownish and the menus look like cheap corporate web.

Deleted
    Had to find out that you can get console and turn off the background animation in menu (that made main menu usable, still not fast), apparently more people have the same problem. Funny enough, changing render quality in video options makes the game render in much lower resolution and scale it up. Don't help menu issues at all though.
    I'm not sure if your computer is just awful but I'm pretty sure they'll be adding it as an option later on.

Yes I had to figure out to get console up, so I found those variables as well. They are utterly useless, because all they change are mouseover highlights and minimap colors.
    I could make whatever excuses I want for this but all that's really relevant is that they seem to want to actually add a cb mode.

Most of these are must have when you are making new game. But not really a way to check that when you have absolutely no idea what is going on when everything looks yellow/brownish and the menus look like cheap corporate web.
    Are you sure you're not just being bitter about other areas of the game because you're colorblind?

Deleted
    I'm not sure if your computer is just awful but I'm pretty sure they'll be adding it as an option later on.
    I found that even people with hi-end have the same problem in MONTHS old post. They don't seem to give a damn about it.
    The UI is bad anyway, it's kind of the one which force you to do walk through everything to actually find out what you want to do. I'm not sure if there is any tutorial at the moment, but for me it was fairly difficult to navigate even with experienced user telling me what to do.

I can understand lack of any help to minority, but I find this game just as another example how retarded valve hype is. They can't do anything right.

But not really a way to check that when you have absolutely no idea what is going on when everything looks yellow/brownish and the menus look like cheap corporate web.
    Would you care to elaborate a bit on why you think the UI is bad? Feel free to draw comparisons to other current e-sport titles like SC2, LoL, BLC, CS:GO and if you really want to - fighting games. Is it primarily the colour scheme?

I am just curious because personally I find it to be one of the most intuitive and straight-forward UIs out there (out of games played as esports).

I can understand lack of any help to minority, but I find this game just as another example how retarded valve hype is. They can't do anything right.
    As compared to what company? Riot? Nexus? Blizzard?

I found that even people with hi-end have the same problem in MONTHS old post. They don't seem to give a damn about it.
    The UI is bad anyway, it's kind of the one which force you to do walk through everything to actually find out what you want to do. I'm not sure if there is any tutorial at the moment, but for me it was fairly difficult to navigate even with experienced user telling me what to do.

There is no problem with the UI. Occasionally there is a problem with connectivity, but what online game doesn't have connection problems from time to time. Dota 2 has had tutorial programs for months now. I hate unintelligent people like you making claims about games that you obviously haven't even looked at. There are almost tutorials for everything in dota 2 and there is even a mentor program for friends to coach other friends easier. I feel like the vast majority of forum posters are people that just want to complain about something but aren't picky about what they are complaining about. Wahh Blizzard sucks, Wahh Valve sucks, and Wahh Activision sucks. People listen to what I say and agree with me. YEAH! Big companies that make video games suck!

10+ Year Old Account
    My computer is six years old and runs Dota 2 at low settings flawlessly. There's occasional burps of lag, especially during hero loading, but other than that, smooth as glass. E4300, 4870 512MB, 2GB RAM. If you're having performance issues, it ain't the game that's causing them.

EDIT: What's taking them so long with Drow? Centy's pretty close to where he needs to be to be good to go for CM, but Drow's still totally out of whack. Are they just having issues finding a way to do something about her aura while still making it more interesting than it was before?
    Last edited by PizzaSHARK; 2012-11-09 at 06:39 PM.