You can't morph back 800 hp instantly, that takes time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    You can't morph back 800 hp instantly, that takes time.
    But why does he need to morph 800hp ? I am not sure what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    The burden of proof lies on the individual asserting a claim. In this case, that would be you. Hermanni does not need to "counter-argument". Back up what the fuck you're saying with proof.
    I kind of wanted to stop posting to this, but like I edited into my last post, I don't really feel like I have to prove anything when he does it for me. Example:

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfInvocation
    Suure. Saying my posts are hyperbole and complete trash does not make it so.

And yet again you fail to counter-argument with anything beside "DIZ IS STOOPID"
    This post is uses hyperbole. If it's not obvious, you need to retake some literature. So from where I look at it, if he wants to get back at me because I was trying to point out his posts are overly hyperbolic and not very well argued by making a post like this (that is a hyperbole), there isn't much left for me to prove, no?

Well, at least Loda made himself worth it in fantasyleague. If only I had checked which teams actually played today more carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfInvocation View Post
    But why does he need to morph 800hp ? I am not sure what you are talking about.
    Oh god. Have you ever played morphling? You can't just shotgun people, not without solid amount of points in agility which gaining some hp will take time. 800 was just a number, sometimes you need less, sometimes you need more but you just can't replicate back to 3-sec-distance and then come right click people because you will die instantly if they focus on you. Amount of str pomped will not be sufficient if enemy got some burst..If you forgot str morph toggled in cc that means you will losing right click power means rest of your fight is fucked. Morphling is not shift-que'ing three spells.

All of your argument assumes a perfect initialization of morphling then replicating back to some perfect/magic spot which is not far away and the moment you came, somehow, morph having more right click steroid than AM and at the same time having more hp than a AM(AM builds involve vanguard you know that right? if you exclude previous trend of going straight bfury) while half of str is morphed to agi and managing to survive throughout team fight.

Is this some sort of super morphling you are talking about or the one I know? Also There is too much assumption here.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2012-11-23 at 02:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    Oh you read things. Not difficult, no? Then you wouldn't mind letting me in how you would balance a game like dota without reducing gameplay depth?
    I'd probably scrap it and start from scratch. I don't really see any way of dramatically altering gameplay mechanics to be more reliant on individual skill/APM instead of sheer knowledge without pretty much completely changing the game. Likewise removal of RNG mechanics and so many other things I feel are bad design decisions - it wouldn't be Dota by time I got done with it.

But I'm not necessarily a huge fan of asymmetric games when it comes to competitive play, anyway - they're too hard to get balanced to a point of "perfection," especially compared to symmetrical games like Quake or UT. I guess you could argue chess and checkers are balanced to perfection, but they've had hundreds of years to figure it out, and white still wins more often than black because white gets first move.

I dunno. Dota is a fun game, but I'm having an increasingly difficult time taking it seriously as a true competitive eSport because I just feel there are too many poor design choices in it that shift the burden away from individual player skill/APM and towards just memorizing information.

I would still point towards Brood War as the best example of an asymmetrical game that incorporates roughly equal requirements of both skill/APM and game knowledge for professional play, and which is balanced exceptionally well. But, just like chess, that took a long time to get to that point, and it's still not perfectly balanced.

Maybe it's just mentality or viewpoint. Nothing I see in professional Dota play makes me think "man, I don't think I could ever pull that off..." Not in the same way watching the really good Code S Terrans in SC2 or any of the professional Quake/Nexuiz/Warsow players do their thing does. Some of the things those guys pull off, I don't think I'd ever be capable of matching, even if I really worked at it.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I agree that DotA isn't impressive to watch, but for people who aren't me and haven't played for 10 years it's probably one of the better "esports" to watch. For the 90% of the player base that just auto attacks creeps, never checks the mini map, never jukes in the forest, a lot of the stuff that happens in tourneys is probably really cool to watch.

Hell, just listen to how excited casters get when someone uses an ability.

BLACK HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    I agree that DotA isn't impressive to watch, but for people who aren't me and haven't played for 10 years it's probably one of the better "esports" to watch. For the 90% of the player base that just auto attacks creeps, never checks the mini map, never jukes in the forest, a lot of the stuff that happens in tourneys is probably really cool to watch.

Hell, just listen to how excited casters get when someone uses an ability.

BLACK HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLE
    Tobi's been turning me off the same way Husky started turning me off. Especially when he's solo casting, it becomes increasingly obvious that he doesn't know a whole lot about what he's talking about, and he often misses a lot of important things, or he watches something and comments on it incorrectly. He's much better when he has a very skilled player/commentator joining him (like when Day9 joined with Husky for certain events) to be there to constantly correct him, but at that point you might as well just go "okay Tobi, go take a break, we got this."

But you're raising a good point. When I was just getting back into Dota, I really enjoyed watching Tobi's casts. But as I gained more knowledge, I enjoyed his casts less and less because he kept making bad observations or outright missing important things. I've lost count of how many first bloods he's missed :-/
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

I haven't watched anything....at all...but the two or three times I've watched 4 minutes of something I get linked I hear the casters flipping tables over the most trivial stuff...like people just using their abilities in the generic and completely expected way. Oh many, that guy side stepped the powershot, what a champion...only the best of the best of us can right click the ground...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    The burden of proof lies on the individual asserting a claim. In this case, that would be you. Hermanni does not need to "counter-argument". Back up what the fuck you're saying with proof.
    I can't back up a statement about Morphling being OP before the nerf with hard facts, cause it is subjective in a way. Maybe Hermanni's views of OP are differen't than mine, and think Morph should be able 1v4 a team every game and still be O.K. and balanced since there is a banning and pick phase.

And even if 99% of the population thinks something is OP, there is always someone who think's it is not.

But why does the burden of proof lie with me? He is the one claiming he was NOT OP to other people, so HE made the claim about morphling. He got nerfed, so the general consensus at valve was obviously that he was OP. A lot of pro's also thought Naga(Nerfed) and Morphling(Nerfed) was OP, yet he is the one claiming: "No he was not that good for x, y reasons".. Which I might say were all pretty much wrong, so I question his game knowledge tbh.

---------- Post added 2012-11-23 at 10:19 AM ----------

I kind of wanted to stop posting to this, but like I edited into my last post, I don't really feel like I have to prove anything when he does it for me. Example:

This post is uses hyperbole. If it's not obvious, you need to retake some literature. So from where I look at it, if he wants to get back at me because I was trying to point out his posts are overly hyperbolic and not very well argued by making a post like this (that is a hyperbole), there isn't much left for me to prove, no?

Well, at least Loda made himself worth it in fantasyleague. If only I had checked which teams actually played today more carefully.
    Yes, that post is hyperbolic.

And no, my previous posts about Morphling are not. If anything, what you wrote about him was meiosis. You are also the one using ad hominem arguments against Pizza all the time, so good job.

---------- Post added 2012-11-23 at 10:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Oh god. Have you ever played morphling? You can't just shotgun people, not without solid amount of points in agility which gaining some hp will take time. 800 was just a number, sometimes you need less, sometimes you need more but you just can't replicate back to 3-sec-distance and then come right click people because you will die instantly if they focus on you. Amount of str pomped will not be sufficient if enemy got some burst..If you forgot str morph toggled in cc that means you will losing right click power means rest of your fight is fucked. Morphling is not shift-que'ing three spells.

All of your argument assumes a perfect initialization of morphling then replicating back to some perfect/magic spot which is not far away and the moment you came, somehow, morph having more right click steroid than AM and at the same time having more hp than a AM(AM builds involve vanguard you know that right? if you exclude previous trend of going straight bfury) while half of str is morphed to agi and managing to survive throughout team fight.

Is this some sort of super morphling you are talking about or the one I know? Also There is too much assumption here.
    Go watch a old replay of Morphling before the nerf, I seems to me you just started playing after he was nerfed. THERE IS NO NEED FOR STRENGTH MORPHING, you are sitting at 1str but 900-2000hp and invulnerable while shotgunning someone, then in the teamfight you jump in AFTER say tidehunter and clean up. Oh and 190-250+ agi = Shit tons of armor, so good lucking focusing him. (Probably a linkens too to stop that spell)

You once went vanguard/vlads on AM..And why does this pop up in the conversation? I am talking about the current trend anyhow. AM with Vanguard sucks anyway, since you might as well NOT pick AM at all if aren't gonna rice him.

Give me a hard carry that has 2 escape mechanisms and 2 nukes with low cd's, one stun/mini stun, 1 full health illusion that deals 50% damage you can use on enemy carry but doesn't take more damage than a normal hero, has awesome stat gains(+10 on top of that), some of the best last hitting power in lanning, and can right click I will say better than an AM, slightly worse than a PA/Void. Oh and is Ranged. Oh and is the most mobile hard carry in the game, maybe shares that spot with Spectre and AM.
    Last edited by mmoc8dbf34486c; 2012-11-23 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Tobi's been turning me off the same way Husky started turning me off. Especially when he's solo casting, it becomes increasingly obvious that he doesn't know a whole lot about what he's talking about, and he often misses a lot of important things, or he watches something and comments on it incorrectly. He's much better when he has a very skilled player/commentator joining him (like when Day9 joined with Husky for certain events) to be there to constantly correct him, but at that point you might as well just go "okay Tobi, go take a break, we got this."
    To be honest, Day9 is the most overrated caster. He pretends he knows alot, but doesnt anymore, his analysis is most of the time wrong and he has became Totalbiscuit 2.0 with his shoutcasting instead of commentating in the last year or so. You wanna hear good caster? Look for HSC 3 or 4 where players are commentating or just listen to Grubby commentating, they might not shout like mad during some engagements, but they actually provide good analysis.

To me, Day9 and Tobi are pretty much the same. They bring newbies to the scene and excite them for the game, but lack the highest level of knowledge and experience of their game, which makes their commentating for higher skilled players/wievers a turnoff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarevokcz View Post
    To be honest, Day9 is the most overrated caster. He pretends he knows alot, but doesnt anymore, his analysis is most of the time wrong and he has became Totalbiscuit 2.0 with his shoutcasting instead of commentating in the last year or so. You wanna hear good caster? Look for HSC 3 or 4 where players are commentating or just listen to Grubby commentating, they might not shout like mad during some engagements, but they actually provide good analysis.

To me, Day9 and Tobi are pretty much the same. They bring newbies to the scene and excite them for the game, but lack the highest level of knowledge and experience of their game, which makes their commentating for higher skilled players/wievers a turnoff.
    I'll be honest, I haven't watched a bit of SC2 in probably six to eight months. If Day9's changed since then, I honestly wouldn't have noticed; I do know that he was expanding into non-SC2 at the time, but his main draw was still his Day9 Dailies and his casting lower-tier professional tournaments.

Blizzard's ham-fisted way of handling SC2 kind of turned me off to the whole thing, especially now that it looks like they're dangling Heart of the Swarm in front of players as "come on little fella, buy it! Buy it! It'll fix eeeeeeverything...."

I dunno. Dota is a fun game, but I'm having an increasingly difficult time taking it seriously as a true competitive eSport because I just feel there are too many poor design choices in it that shift the burden away from individual player skill/APM and towards just memorizing information.

I would still point towards Brood War as the best example of an asymmetrical game that incorporates roughly equal requirements of both skill/APM and game knowledge for professional play, and which is balanced exceptionally well. But, just like chess, that took a long time to get to that point, and it's still not perfectly balanced.
    What Kuntantee has been trying to point out to you is that when every played in the game sits on essentially the same amount of knowledge and experience, you don't win games with those. Like he pointed out, knowledge alone mostly wins games in low rated games. What "skill" is is very different in different games, I myself don't really put much base on any FPS "skill" because to me it seems to be just memorizing maps and twitch reflex. I'm obviously idiot and wrong because I've never actually followed any, but that's still my opinion.

Playing Brood War at high level requires you to know all the timings, all the builds and all the maps, which is also a lot of knowledge but your enemy probably knows all you do to, too. For example sensing drops is one very obvious marker of player skill, but why doesn't "map sense" in dota have anything to do with skill? How is being able to predict enemy movement not skill in any game?

If you scrapped and started over, you'd probably end up creating LoL. LoL might even be more balanced, I don't really know, but considering how much less complex it is it very well could be. But competitive LoL seems one of the most boring things out there, and I've been repeatedly told those games often boil down to lasthitting. But hey, that takes skill.

If you didn't create LoL, what would your game look like, then? It's easy to design one, so why don't you give some pointers? How do you make a game that is at least as interesting as dota, but isn't dota, but is more balanced than dota? Don't think it should take you more than few minutes to do better than mushroom-eating Icefrog did in 7 years (+ whatever the other devs and Valve staff did), so I'm all ears.

Anyway, I'm having hard time seeing how reflex and APM are better markers of skill than strategy and decision making, both of which derive from game knowledge and often require split-second decision. You increase your ability to punish your peripherals by practicing, which is also true for your strategic abilities.

Edit: Coincidentally, it didn't even take long for Brood War to get to any point. Story of Brood War was that it was from the beginning accepted as fairly balanced, and while I might recall incorrectly I don't think many balances change were made to it. Original SC is a different deal, though.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2012-11-23 at 12:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyway, I'm having hard time seeing how reflex and APM are better markers of skill than strategy and decision making, both of which derive from game knowledge and often require split-second decision. You increase your ability to punish your peripherals by practicing, which is also true for your strategic abilities.
    Because reflexes and APM aren't easily acquired. Game sense is just based purely off of knowing the game and having played many, many games, and it's something your acquire pretty organically unless you have some kind of developmental disability. It's very obvious in low MMR games, where that lack of knowledge is the most noticeable difference. But it can still be seen in pro games, especially when a team like Na'Vi pulls a wildcard and tries something out of the norm, something that might not have been bootcamped constantly.

If you scrapped and started over, you'd probably end up creating LoL. LoL might even be more balanced, I don't really know, but considering how much less complex it is it very well could be. But competitive LoL seems one of the most boring things out there, and I've been repeatedly told those games often boil down to lasthitting. But hey, that takes skill.

If you didn't create LoL, what would your game look like, then? It's easy to design one, so why don't you give some pointers? How do you make a game that is at least as interesting as dota, but isn't dota, but is more balanced than dota? Don't think it should take you more than few minutes to do better than mushroom-eating Icefrog did in 7 years (+ whatever the other devs and Valve staff did), so I'm all ears.
    I agree it would probably look similar to LoL if we're keeping as close as possible to the standard parts of the MOBA genre. I think LoL is as boring and static as it is because of the changes to items, however - most of the items in LoL can be boiled down to stats-per-gold, leading to very little variation, and most items don't have activated abilities like they do in Dota. For what it's worth, I disagree with several choices made in LoL, though I think those choices were made to make it easier and more accessible to newcomers (removal of denies, replacing trees with bushes, replacing runes with static camp spawns, etc.)

Removing RNG from the game would take several iterations and different ways of dealing with the problem. The problem with RNG mechanics is that they take place independent of player action. PA can blink to someone, never get a crit, and die horribly. She can also blink to someone and crit with her first two swings and kill them before they can even panic-mash their Blade Mail button. In both cases, both players did the exact same thing, and in both cases there was a different outcome - wholly independent of player actions. Aside from the instant gratification of LOLSPLAT when you get one of those fat four digit crits on your first swing, I don't find it entertaining and don't find it a good measure of player ability. Same thing goes for Chaos Bolt (2 sec stun versus 4 sec stun, etc) and even just plain old critical strike and evasion effects like Juggy, Panda, etc.

In most cases, you'd either want the effects to scale based on something the player controls (maybe your next Chaos Bolt will stun for longer, up to a maximum duration, based on the time elapsed since the cooldown finished) or a more static, activated ability (push Coup De Grace, your attacks now do extra damage for X duration.) Both are more boring than pure RNG, especially the second option, but both are a lot easier to balance, too.

As far as stuns and stuff go? Well, I already mentioned that I think stuns should do noticeably less damage than nukes which don't come with significant disables - maybe as much as 20% less, though I get the feeling even a 10% drop would be pretty noticeable.

Maybe it's just a lack of transparency. We never get any idea of what Icefrog and his team are up to, so we have no idea if they've tried something and found it didn't work. Maybe they tried nerfing stun damage and it ended up making heroes too weak - but how do we know that when they're keeping their cards close to their vest?

Edit: Coincidentally, it didn't even take long for Brood War to get to any point. Story of Brood War was that it was from the beginning accepted as fairly balanced, and while I might recall incorrectly I don't think many balances change were made to it. Original SC is a different deal, though.
    It was a LOT better than vanilla SC, but I think it wasn't considered well-balanced until after a couple of patches, and even then it didn't reach its "perfect," state until years after, when players started discovering ways of abusing loopholes and issues with the game engine.

Because reflexes and APM aren't easily acquired. Game sense is just based purely off of knowing the game and having played many, many games, and it's something your acquire pretty organically unless you have some kind of developmental disability. It's very obvious in low MMR games, where that lack of knowledge is the most noticeable difference. But it can still be seen in pro games, especially when a team like Na'Vi pulls a wildcard and tries something out of the norm, something that might not have been bootcamped constantly.
    Game sense is based on a lot more than having played many, many games. Knowing your enemy is one of them. I still think being able to master an equally acknowledgeable enemy in a game as complex as dota is more admirable than shooting someone in cs because your synapse routing is better. Which is also something you acquire pretty organically (unless you have some developmental disorder) by playing a lot.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2012-11-23 at 02:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Game sense is based on a lot more than having played many, many games. Knowing your enemy is one of them. I still think being able to master an equally acknowledgeable enemy in a game as complex as dota is more admirable than shooting someone in cs because your synapse routing is better. Which is also something you acquire pretty organically (unless you have some developmental disorder) by playing a lot.
    I agree, I might have been selling game sense a little short when you put it that way.

That said, I'm talking about Quake, not CS - there's a world of difference between the two and Quake is a lot more demanding. In addition to memorizing respawn times for medpacks, quad damage, etc, you also have to be able to (very, very quickly) set up shots while avoiding enemy shots. You have to predict where your enemy is going, have the rocket in the air well before he gets there, and continue to have rockets in position - ahead of time - to ensure you juggle him properly.

If you've seen highlight reels from TF2 where soldiers juggle someone to death (launch them into the air with the first rocket and hit them in midair with consecutive rockets until they die), it's a lot like that - but at about four times the speed.

Watching people play Q3 makes me feel like a child.

That said, I'm talking about Quake, not CS - there's a world of difference between the two and Quake is a lot more demanding. In addition to memorizing respawn times for medpacks, quad damage, etc, you also have to be able to (very, very quickly) set up shots while avoiding enemy shots. You have to predict where your enemy is going, have the rocket in the air well before he gets there, and continue to have rockets in position - ahead of time - to ensure you juggle him properly.

If you've seen highlight reels from TF2 where soldiers juggle someone to death (launch them into the air with the first rocket and hit them in midair with consecutive rockets until they die), it's a lot like that - but at about four times the speed.
    The most difficult aspect of Quake 3 and Quake Live is counting respawn timers of items and weapons, and bunnyhopping/air control. The second one is something you will get by just playing lots - it is incredibly frustrating to practice (I spent fourty five hours during a LAN party practicing the b2r jump on qzdm6). Everything else is knowledge of maps and twitch reflexes. Hitting a guy with rocket launchers twice in the air is something you see in the mid-skill bracket consistently. It's not an indication of a great player (or even a good one).

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfInvocation View Post
    I can't back up a statement about Morphling being OP before the nerf with hard facts, cause it is subjective in a way. Maybe Hermanni's views of OP are differen't than mine, and think Morph should be able 1v4 a team every game and still be O.K. and balanced since there is a banning and pick phase. .
    What game did he 1v4 a team? You could provide examples instead of just listing your hypothetical examples of biased situations. You could provide match ID numbers, you could provide stats via a parser site like dota-academy.com. There are plenty of ways you could back your statements up, surely you understand when other people do not take your arguments as serious posts. No? How is it subjective? "I think this hero is OP" - in what situation? In what skill bracket? In what team composition? Against underfarmed, overextended support heroes played by a guy emulating Windows 2000 and running 3000ms+ ping? Against an actual professional player in a non-public game setting?

If all you say is "this is OP" or "this does too much damage" or "lol replicate ANYWHERE INSTANT!!", no one will respond to you with anything even remotely serious.

Additionally, Sven 3-10, Dark Seer 2-13, Rubick 5-11 at DHW. Surprise anyone? Sven stun OP? Dark Seer offlane OP? cmon son damn
    Last edited by Longview; 2012-11-23 at 09:38 PM.

Dark seer been getting some serious rape in DHW. Also, since when is Sven OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Jangri- View Post
    since when is Sven OP?
    how unavoidable no skill nuke-stun is not op ?
    ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Jangri- View Post
    Dark seer been getting some serious rape in DHW. Also, since when is Sven OP?
    h-h-h-h-here we go