10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    I typed out a big post about how Tiny is the best hero ever but decided not to post it. Suffice to say avalance and toss make it impossible to stop him from farming, at least somewhat. He can farm energy boots with a couple of waves the second you leave lane even if you stack the lane against him. and with just that item he can go jungling and avatoss his way to victory. His weakness, like many other burst heroes, is in his absurd cooldowns.

And once he gets scepter I can believe 1000+ GPM in a good game. Destroying every enemy building on the map sure helps get the GPM up there.
    It's his passive more than anything else in my opinion because it's the perfect anti-carry ability on a carry that, when fed, can easily crit your entire team for 1500 damage a pop and then wander off and three-hit your rax immediately afterwards. It stuns based on proximity to Tiny rather than your hero's attack type (melee versus ranged), it stuns for a pretty significant amount of time for a passive effect (1.2s) and has no cooldown, and while BKB blocks it, you can forget about stabbing Tiny without BKB up.

Basically, it's NA's Spiked Carapace but better.

It's that passive combined with the frankly absurd amount of shit he gets from a single item (scepter) that makes him so ridiculous when he's fed, IMO. I mean, Tiny has to have the best scepter upgrade in the game. More damage on his Toss combo, bonus attack range, bonus cleave, AND bonus damage versus structures. If they decided Tiny needed to be nerfed, that's where I'd start.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I don't know, spiked carapace is probably one of the best moves in the game in my opinion. Craggy ranks pretty high on the stupid meter, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know, spiked carapace is probably one of the best moves in the game in my opinion. Craggy ranks pretty high on the stupid meter, though.
    Spiked Carapace was a LOT better when it was more demanding on the NA's part instead of an automatic "I don't need to play mind games, I just mash buttonz lawl" skill.

Craggy would probably be fine if it was restricted to just melee units, not anything within X distance of Tiny. They picked Tiny as a carry? np, get a ranged carry to deal with him (read: Viper.)
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Craggy would be fine if it procced when you hit him, not when you attack. Too many times I've hooked a Tiny only to be instastunned before I could ult and killed because it somehow makes sense for you to get stunned just for thinking about attacking a rock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Craggy would be fine if it procced when you hit him, not when you attack. Too many times I've hooked a Tiny only to be instastunned before I could ult and killed because it somehow makes sense for you to get stunned just for thinking about attacking a rock.
    Probably along the lines of you hit Tiny and rocks fall (off his ass) and everyone dies. I'm wondering how the hell those rocks fly out 300 feet in either direction in response to an arrow hitting him, though.

But seriously, just pick Viper. Dude counters the shit out of carry Tiny.

It's not like Viper and SD aren't some of the best counters for almost any melee carry as it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    It's not like Viper and SD aren't some of the best counters for almost any melee carry as it is.
    Viper in general is in my opinion a good general pick. He lanes well in everything except for maybe solo suicide lane (probably too easy to gank), he has pretty good damage without items for the midgame, and he turns into more of a debuff-bot than an actual damage dealer for the late game. Free MR helps compensate for his relatively low base HP and literally everything he does slowing movement as well as attack speed shores up his HP in regards to physical attacks.

Late game Viper with tank items and a scepter is just ridiculous... 80% attack and move speed slow with roughly 50% uptime that goes through BKB and has a greater than average cast range? Crazy.

Why'd the pros stop using him? Especially with them trending towards aggressive playstyles, you'd think he'd be a popular pick. Hell, stick him mid and he'll counter the shit out of that first-pick TA.

Even with nethertoxin his damage feels embarrassing for an agility hero late game. I went 3-0 against Drow the other day and ended up losing hard once she turned 6. She had CM babysit her mid for a few minutes while she caught up in CS (couldn't compete with her ultimate for last hitting at all) and once we were both around 11 she could just stand still and right click me and win even through the attack speed slow of my ult. Viper is a hero who only seems to do well when he's 8 levels higher than everyone else because he got absurdly fed early.

I agree that his scepter is good and seems awesome on paper but he doesn't bring a whole lot else to an actual team fight and the ultimate doesn't appear to be as crippling as it sounds on several carries (like Drow who gets so damn much agility from her ult that she can fire hilariously quick even through an 80% slow).

10+ Year Old Account
    Even with nethertoxin his damage feels embarrassing for an agility hero late game. I went 3-0 against Drow the other day and ended up losing hard once she turned 6. She had CM babysit her mid for a few minutes while she caught up in CS (couldn't compete with her ultimate for last hitting at all) and once we were both around 11 she could just stand still and right click me and win even through the attack speed slow of my ult. Viper is a hero who only seems to do well when he's 8 levels higher than everyone else because he got absurdly fed early.

I agree that his scepter is good and seems awesome on paper but he doesn't bring a whole lot else to an actual team fight and the ultimate doesn't appear to be as crippling as it sounds on several carries (like Drow who gets so damn much agility from her ult that she can fire hilariously quick even through an 80% slow).
    Yeah, but Drow's overpowered as hell last time I checked, which is why she ain't in CM. I don't consider Viper a late game hero - I think you would pick him because he's very difficult to deal with in lane and because he blooms early (vs a lot of lanes, he gets free kills as soon as he hits 6 unless they play very defensively), not because of any late-game utility he might have.

It may just be that he falls into the same pit Razor does since most teams either pick a true carry for that slot, or go without a true carry (and instead pick something like Bounty Hunter to fill that "DPS" slot.)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Viper in general is in my opinion a good general pick.
    I'd say any hero is a good pick (barring Techies), but Viper isn't all that general. His niche is pinning down single enemies and outlasting enemies (or at least in the most common playstyle), but he certainly is devastating in almost any pub game.

Thing about Viper is that he punishes bad judgement. Like you said, in average level pub games he can easily take a kill on a badly positioned enemy, and he will punish anyone who attempts to take offensive against him and fails. It's very common for inexperienced or even experienced players to under-estimate Viper and end up dying because they thought they could kill him before he killed them or because they thought they could get away if he took the initiative.

---------- Post added 2012-11-30 at 01:42 PM ----------

You probably know this, but for those that wonder, the attack speed slows are applied in the same way as attack speed increases before the attack time is calculated from base attack time. As in, all the attack speeds are additive with each other up to the maximum of 400 IAS. All attack speeds work the same way regardless of whether the game lists them as a % or a #. Which is why Viper's 105% (with Corrosive Skin) or Enchantress' 90% IAS reductions are very crippling to enemies who are below 100 IAS - but past, say, 200 IAS these effects become much less efficient. Which would be why late game Drow with some items and nobody at her melee range wouldn't really care that much about Viper Strike. Same reason why I've said Tiny with rank 3 ultimate is a rather pitiful right-clicker until he gets enough IAS to ignore the ultimate reduction.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2012-11-30 at 04:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    I'd say any hero is a good pick (barring Techies), but Viper isn't all that general. His niche is pinning down single enemies and outlasting enemies (or at least in the most common playstyle), but he certainly is devastating in almost any pub game.

Thing about Viper is that he punishes bad judgement. Like you said, in average level pub games he can easily take a kill on a badly positioned enemy, and he will punish anyone who attempts to take offensive against him and fails. It's very common for inexperienced or even experienced players to under-estimate Viper and end up dying because they thought they could kill him before he killed them or because they thought they could get away if he took the initiative.
    Generally speaking, being more than a few feet outside of tower range and inside Viper Strike range means Viper gets a free kill once he hits level 6. Amusingly, though, I've seen Silencers completely trash Vipers in a solo mid competition - that 50 range difference makes a world of, uh, difference.

---------- Post added 2012-11-30 at 01:42 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

You probably know this, but for those that wonder, the attack speed slows are applied in the same way as attack speed increases before the attack time is calculated from base attack time. As in, all the attack speeds are additive with each other up to the maximum of 400 IAS. All attack speeds work the same way regardless of whether the game lists them as a % or a #. Which is why Viper's 105% (with Corrosive Skin) or Enchantress' 90% IAS reductions are very crippling to enemies who are below 100 IAS - but past, say, 200 IAS these effects become much less efficient. Which would be why late game Drow with some items and nobody at her melee range wouldn't really care that much about Viper Strike. Same reason why I've said Tiny with rank 3 ultimate is a rather pitiful right-clicker until he gets enough IAS to ignore the ultimate reduction.[/QUOTE]

That makes a lot more sense; but why say "80%" instead of just plain "80" if the modifiers stack additively? Why not say "reduces enemy attack speed by 80" rather than 80%?

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    That makes a lot more sense; but why say "80%" instead of just plain "80" if the modifiers stack additively? Why not say "reduces enemy attack speed by 80" rather than 80%?
    The game doesnt even tell you when an ability goes through magic immunity, the tooltips in this game are seriously lacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by icylock View Post
    Gamon spends more time of his knees and back than haris pilton...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidulgaa View Post
    The game doesnt even tell you when an ability goes through magic immunity, the tooltips in this game are seriously lacking.
    Not to mention they lack the cool description Dota had of spells

Knowing a ton of mechanics will give you a slight edge over people who don't put the time in. Rule of thumb: The damage of magical ultimates get blocked, their slow/stun/disable does not. Are there any non-ultimate abilities that go through magic immunity? I can't think of any.

edit: there are some that go partially through magic immunity: bash from melee heroes (not skull basher), doom, march of the machines, midnight pulse
    Last edited by Longview; 2012-11-30 at 08:37 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    Knowing a ton of mechanics will give you a slight edge over people who don't put the time in. Rule of thumb: The damage of magical ultimates get blocked, their slow/stun/disable does not. Are there any non-ultimate abilities that go through magic immunity? I can't think of any.
    Several abilities that do physical damage, like Shadow Wave. Though I don't think targeted physical abilities still work (well, besides Omnislash)

Oh right, also Naga net and Berserker's Call.
    Last edited by mmoc24ed1da916; 2012-11-30 at 09:19 PM.

lone druid entangle

Toss. Tossing juggernaut out of his spin is pretty solid.

The tooltips in this game are seriously lacking.
    This. A game needs to tell you all of its mechanics clearly, not some mystery that you need to try before being sure. I don't even remember howmany times I forget a certain mechanic and tried to be sure in game because there was a huge lack of documentation about game mechanics. I really hope Valve devs understand that org DotA was a game of constraints and it needed tons of improvements not just balance or graphics or technology wise...So far I'm pretty disappointed with UI and mechanic documentation.

It's year 2012 and Valve is not working on WC3 engine. I really don't like their development philosophy(I believe that is because of IceFrog being too conservative or he's afraid of community criticism for drastic changes).

So far we have a unified client and shiny new graphics + smooter controls which are appriciated but these things were expected to be done anyway. I want to see more improvements starting from UI...but hey people don't like change even if its piece of shit in terms of Human Computer Interaction wise.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2012-12-01 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    you
    I just played Merlini and his friends twice solo queing. Not that I want to bring up an old argument but if you want proof I play with the best players in the world it should be directly in my game history now. You were so eager to see my solo queue games before so I felt obliged to inform you that I solo queued today.

stuff
    I'm pretty sure it has been ~6 months or so since we had that discussion. You do play with professionals indeed(this time I believe you) but not on a daily basis, its more like semi-annual basis...

Now if you don't want to bring old discussions up, then just don't.