Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    I only played one game and my teammates were all kind of dumb. Enemy team was even more dumb so we still won, but I saw a lot of Vanguards and Sange and Yashas on heroes they oughtn't be bought on.
    S&Y is a pretty rare pickup around where I play. I don't either see Drow or Magnus much, but it's more that there are certain heroes almost never picked. Pair that with semi-functioning lanes and you might just find yourself fucked before the game starts. I've yet to give up a single game/afk at fountain, but sometimes when I look through replays with the friends I played the games with, I notice we get outlaned on every lane. Which boils down to people picking strong lanes, with my friends and me randoming. We could probably outpick our enemy virtually every time, but I don't play to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsdott View Post
    While randomly looking through games being played, I noticed that on the first few pages, player levels vary by quite a lot. I've seen lvl 60+ as well as few ~30. I assume that's because of MMR but made me wonder nevertheless, how exactly is MMR counted? Obviously can't be only level-related but seeing how whenever I get a good streak, I start to get extremely horrible people in my team, I'm not convinced it's decided by win %.

How then?

On the other note, the amount of people instapicking Drow / Troll these days is indeed hillarious.
    Nobody knows, but probably a mix between winrate and individual stats (gpm, kda etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by icylock View Post
    Gamon spends more time of his knees and back than haris pilton...

While randomly looking through games being played, I noticed that on the first few pages, player levels vary by quite a lot. I've seen lvl 60+ as well as few ~30. I assume that's because of MMR but made me wonder nevertheless, how exactly is MMR counted?
    Nobody outside of Valve knows. If they did, they wouldn't tell you. We know that they use a modified version of Microsoft's TrueSkill (Xbox Live MMR). It is more accurate in a team setting as opposed to ELO, which is more accurate in a 1v1 scenario (which is why it's used in professional chess, for example). There has been statements by high-ups over at dev.dota2.com that levels are purely cosmetic, and they've also said that win/loss-ratio doesn't determine what your rating is (neither does number of wins). It is not rare to see a difference in the 40-50's when I queue.

Level is merely an indicator of how much you play every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Level is merely an indicator of how much you play every day.
    Is higher better or more sad

Here's some Valve quotes on matchmaking if you're still trying to wrap your head around it:
    http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?p=282075#post282075
    http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?p=282033#post282033
    http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?...854#post156854
    http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?p=156150#post156150

10+ Year Old Account
    It might be a bit rude of me to ask, but does anybody know of any sites that might be doing Key giveaways or something along those lines?
    I've kinda been itching to start playing a proper MOBA for a while now and DOTA 2 seems to have ticked the boxes for.

Huh so basically no way of knowing where do you place in MMR. Quaint.

credits: Supernerd

Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    A level a day keeps the noobs away?

10+ Year Old Account
    i got a ton of em, just add me

Intel i5 3570k, Gigabyte 7870 OC 2GB AMD RADEON, Kingston Hyperx T1 2x4GB 1600mhz,
    Seasonic 520w M12, Asrock Z77 Pro4, WD 500GB Blue

Level 61, what do I win?

Deleted
    Huh so basically no way of knowing where do you place in MMR. Quaint.
    If you really are steadily getting better, you should notice. Not necessarily game to game but in general.

@Grimsdott
    Also Valve's MMR equation is not ultimate definition of true skill so I wouldn't worry much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    @Grimsdott
    Also Valve's MMR equation is not ultimate definition of true skill so I wouldn't worry much.
    I know. Frankly I don't need a script to tell me whether I'm good or I suck cause those kind of things I tend to notice myself. I was merely curious what are the criteria for being considered good by the MMR system.

credits: Supernerd

10+ Year Old Account
    Played three games and already loving it, even if I lost all of them . While I'm still getting my feet wet I've been playing Omniknight for the mean time.
    Got a couple questions though....

His ability that blocks magic, does that block magic auto attacks? Maybe it's because it wasn't magic but I swear I got killed by people using it when I had it up. It's probably because I'm new but I swear there were numerous occasions where attacks that I assumed were magical still damaged me.
    How do I beat Morphling? First time impressions can always be deceiving, but jesus christ he came across as OP he was 3 shotting me with his auto attacks, the guy ended the game at 40:0 which is a little silly.
    Is there any advice anybody can give about Omniknight? He seems a little squishy at times .
    Last edited by Scummer; 2013-01-26 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    His ability that blocks magic, does that block magic auto attacks?
    Auto attacks are not magical.

Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    How do I beat Morphling? First time impressions can always be deceiving, but jesus christ he came across as OP he was 3 shotting me with his auto attacks, the guy ended the game at 40:0 which is a little silly.
    Morphling balances agility and strength, this guy probably went full agility. Get stuns, and surprise him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Auto attacks are not magical.

Morphling balances agility and strength, this guy probably went full agility. Get stuns, and surprise him.
    Ah thanks that clears everything up nicely.

What do you guys think of DotaBuff getting shut down? It actually made me kind of sad cause I just loved looking up the statistics but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolie View Post
    What do you guys think of DotaBuff getting shut down? It actually made me kind of sad cause I just loved looking up the statistics but oh well.
    It's back up. They shut it down themselves because they couldn't profit off scraping data they weren't supposed to be able to get in the first place. They blamed Valve for it and wrote an editorial or some shit, asking people to email Valve about changing their decision to "kill dotabuff".

In this day and age, I applaud Valve for not only offering their users privacy, but to make it default. That's not a very common sight.
    Last edited by Longview; 2013-01-27 at 12:49 AM.

It's back up. They shut it down themselves because they couldn't profit off scraping data they weren't supposed to be able to get in the first place. They blamed Valve for it and wrote an editorial or some shit, asking people to email Valve about changing their decision to "kill dotabuff".

In this day and age, I applaud Valve for not only offering their users privacy, but to make it default. That's not a very common sight.
    Ya that's fair enough. the thing that bummed me was just the in ability to really get a technical breakdown of statistics.

But ya, it was cool that Valve did regulate that though.

Deleted
    Sheesh, I just had an intense game. Not sure if linking games like this is frowned upon but damn it.

Scorescreen

I was the Sven. It was one of those games where were getting rocked in the laning phase to the extreme and then I just told my team to go as a four and defend our t2's while I farmed for dear life. My cs could have been better, but it didn't start picking up until 20 minutes in where I could sustain myself in jungle and have decent clearing time.

Then came the fun times where I got an ultra kill by cleaving behind their main carry.