Why are you linking AR games to make a point about AP games, or are you talking about something else now?

And have you ever considered he is my friend and not yours because you are the one who is embarrassing? Don't make the mistake of thinking Hermanni wasn't just as much against me as you are a year ago, I'm pretty sure he called me pub trash at some point in this thread. Luckily for him, he actually gave me a chance and played with me and now we always play together because he acquired some faith.

15 minutes in queue for both AP and AR, max search range, still no game.
    Win and live. Lose and die.
    Rule of life. No change rule.
    Running worse than losing.
    Random casual stuff now

I'm sorry, I'll get back to you right after this queue. 14:05 still counting.
    Manni of Paragon. Moderator of Dota 2 subforum - The golden rule: Listen to Lysah. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Why are you linking AR games to make a point about AP games, or are you talking about something else now?

And have you ever considered he is my friend and not yours because you are the one who is embarrassing? Don't make the mistake of thinking Hermanni wasn't just as much against me as you are a year ago, I'm pretty sure he called me pub trash at some point in this thread. Luckily for him, he actually gave me a chance and played with me and now we always play together because he acquired some faith.

15 minutes in queue for both AP and AR, max search range, still no game.
    Because AR games also have those heroes so how is it exclusive to AP games?

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    So instead of disagreeing with me, you're using evidence to actually support my claim that these heroes are in every single game. And you're using this as an argument against me? I guess I'm just thinking slow today.

Just hit 20:00 in queue.
    Random casual stuff now

I don't really understand now. We're talking about people picking same heroes in AP or did I miss something?

Meanwhile queue is 15 seconds past 20 minutes, pretty major exaggerating going on here.
    Manni of Paragon. Moderator of Dota 2 subforum - The golden rule: Listen to Lysah. Seriously.

It is the highest possible because there do not exist enough players to make a higher level tier. Maybe I'm not the best, but if there are only 50 better players in the entire world, not all of them even queue USE/W, and how many are online at one time again? Then we take into account that not all of us would be queueing at the same time and you're very quickly left with an impossibility.
    I never said anything about Funn1k being in a higher level tier than you. I said he is probably higher MMR than you and you claimed no one has higher MMR than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    I don't really understand now. We're talking about people picking same heroes in AP or did I miss something?
    So instead of disagreeing with me, you're using evidence to actually support my claim that these heroes are in every single game. And you're using this as an argument against me? I guess I'm just thinking slow today.
    If they are in AR games too, doesn't that tell you that they will probably be in AP games, no matter what the trends in the pro scene is? You said people pick same heroes in AP because one of 7 heroes is in every AP game. I then link you your most recent AR games to show you that the heroes you listed are in those games too. Which makes your example quite useless because it isn't just in AP that those heroes are constantly present.
    Last edited by Ariadne; 2013-05-10 at 05:08 PM.

I thought we were talking about matchmaking brackets, a la page 1 games, not imaginary numbers tied to people's accounts in a 5 man team game.

Note that I actually do think Valve's rating/DBR is pretty accurate, but let's be honest, do you really think me queuing with newbies all the time versus 5 man prostacks are going to get the same read? I was actually surprised that I had a top 100 DBR, I expected it to be way lower with my winrate and I tip my hat off to their system for recognizing greatness even in bad games.

30 minutes in queue, time to re-queue and hope something changes...I'm actually considering the server might be messed up.
    Also, these heroes being in AR is luck, in AP it's guaranteed. Pretty simple reasoning I think. I don't see why you think I would want to make my luck even worse be queuing AP instead of AR.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2013-05-10 at 05:10 PM.
    Random casual stuff now

I thought we were talking about matchmaking brackets, a la page 1 games, not imaginary numbers tied to people's accounts in a 5 man team game.

Note that I actually do think Valve's rating/DBR is pretty accurate, but let's be honest, do you really think me queuing with newbies all the time versus 5 man prostacks are going to get the same read? I was actually surprised that I had a top 100 DBR, I expected it to be way lower with my winrate and I tip my hat off to their system for recognizing greatness even in bad games.

30 minutes in queue, time to re-queue and hope something changes...I'm actually considering the server might be messed up.
    Also, these heroes being in AR is luck, in AP it's guaranteed. Pretty simple reasoning I think. I don't see why you think I would want to make my luck even worse be queuing AP instead of AR.
    There is some weird bug in dota 2 when your queue doesn't pop and you can wait for unlimited amount of time and still won't get a pop. I had a 1 hour queue in AP game and i am not even close to good players MMR. Had to reload steam to make it work
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

I don't think it was a bug, we did get a game eventually.
    Random casual stuff now

If they are in AR games too, doesn't that tell you that they will probably be in AP games, no matter what the trends in the pro scene is? You said people pick same heroes in AP because one of 7 heroes is in every AP game. I then link you your most recent AR games to show you that the heroes you listed are in those games too. Which makes your example quite useless because it isn't just in AP that those heroes are constantly present.
    Statistically speaking, I listed 7 heroes, with repicks there's a pretty good chance one or more of them would be in an -AR game. What I meant was that when playing -AP there's usually 2 or more, and Bounty and N'aix both appear in like 70% of games in my recent AP match history. QoP might not be so common, but every once in a while you see some kid with 3 pages of QoP games who will shit on your random mid and supports because it's a hard hero.

And although there is much exaggeration in this thread, I don't see why I shouldn't back statements that seem to actually reflect reality.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2013-05-10 at 08:42 PM.

So.. if I'm getting started in dota 2, should I be training against bots when I can fare decent against them or should I just jump into vs players?
    Close your eyes and smile.
    [15:53] <PizzaSHARK> you have such a cute accent! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    So.. if I'm getting started in dota 2, should I be training against bots when I can fare decent against them or should I just jump into vs players?
    Bots, and check out some guides online. You'll need a lot of help if your just starting a game like Dota. Give it at least 20 games until you really start enjoying it and understanding the basic mechanics.

Also sub to DotaCinema on youtube, they have tons of quality content.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Bots, and check out some guides online. You'll need a lot of help if your just starting a game like Dota. Give it at least 20 games until you really start enjoying it and understanding the basic mechanics.

Also sub to DotaCinema on youtube, they have tons of quality content.
    I've played heroes of newerth for like 2 years prior to dota though. Don't know how well that translates to playing dota.. Found it rather easy when playing Spirit breaker against the hardest bots since he was much like Rampage from heroes of newerth.

Will check out that channel
    Last edited by Tiili; 2013-05-10 at 10:01 PM.

If you have played HoN I doubt there is much need to play against bots (not that it's mandatory for anyone.) Bots are for when you want to practice something on your own or if you get constantly smashed in solo matchmaking, but playing against humans straight away isn't a bad idea.

I've played heroes of newerth for like 2 years prior to dota though. Don't know how well that translates to playing dota.. Found it rather easy when playing Spirit breaker against the hardest bots since he was much like Rampage from heroes of newerth.

HoN is basically a full copy(not bashing the game, it's how it was intended to be) of Dota, so you should try playing versus players. There are also built-in guides in the game. There's an icon that looks like a pencil on a book(or something like that) in the top left of the corner in-game.

Here is another channel that will help you a lot, and you should also watch some games from Purge, because he explains in depth what's going on in said game, the way heroes work, etc.

Here is a video of Merlini, an ex player of the pro Dota scene, that gives tips on how to configure your game, what options to use, and what options to not use. I strongly recommend you to watch this video from the first minute to the last one, as he gives important tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    If you have played HoN I doubt there is much need to play against bots (not that it's mandatory for anyone.) Bots are for when you want to practice something on your own or if you get constantly smashed in solo matchmaking, but playing against humans straight away isn't a bad idea.
    You played 2 games with me! Was it bad?

Not at all, it was pretty obvious that you did know what to most of the time so I figured you either had experience from somewhere or were on a new account. I played HoN myself from beta until I got my Dota 2 invite few months after the first International.

No.
    And matchmaking system should give you fair games. People will probably get mad and yell at you because that's how the genre is, just remember the ignore button in the top left.
    Random casual stuff now

Ah well you should be alright if you've played HoN, its pretty similar to dota. Dive into normals and check out all the community sources.

I used to enjoy watching games on the dota 2 livestream games...but now I realize,it's always the same heroes getting picked,like everyone is trying to imitate the pro's.I have to shuffle through pages of games to actually find something interesting.

Those pro's,who by the way are also starting to bore me heavily,always the same heroes getting picked it is truely boring.
    I can understand a bit since there's money involved but then the community...why is everyone afraid of picking less popular heroes?
    I'm the exact opposite.
    If I see a hero is getting constantly picked I don't touch it.I still have to play more then the 1 ''try-em-out'' game with nai'x,gyrocopter and the likes...does anyone share this mindset?