Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    anyone catch the team tinker vs alliance game that just ended?

what a great ass game
    Never seen anything quite like it. Both Ancients at what, 10% HP at the end?

game here for anyone interested

http://www.twitch.tv/tglivecam_09/b/...159?t=10h9m30s

please also remember to use spoiler tags ([spoiler]spoiler[/spoiler]) when talking about recent games

The rage in those comments lol

Although it does sound very questionable.

Very interesting. Though what people seem to miss is that having access to this kind of information is no good if you are unable to act upon it. The cooldown timers are questionable, at best, but I was in the habit at one point of making a note of the big cooldowns with a pen and paper. It didn't have as much of an impact as people seem to think on Reddit, but it was certainly none-negligible. Oddly enough, making a note with pen and paper is totally acceptable, but using something like this would completely unacceptable? We Dota players are a hypocritical bunch aren't we?

I don't know why the Aegis doesn't already have a timer on it, it just saves you having to make a mental note of the time it runs out. Its more of a minor convenience than a "cheat".

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    The rage in those comments lol

Although it does sound very questionable.
    Retard people raging because they dont read the whole thing or dont understand it before passing judgement, im pretty sure you can do the same crap with excel if you have 2 monitors or a overlay program.

EDIT: Has anyone been getting stutter spikes since the last night's update? The game stutters for a second every 15 seconds or so.
    Played a few games yesterday in ardm, the fps spike was awful, once the fps droped to 1-5 for 10~seconds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Very interesting. Though what people seem to miss is that having access to this kind of information is no good if you are unable to act upon it. The cooldown timers are questionable, at best, but I was in the habit at one point of making a note of the big cooldowns with a pen and paper. It didn't have as much of an impact as people seem to think on Reddit, but it was certainly none-negligible. Oddly enough, making a note with pen and paper is totally acceptable, but using something like this would completely unacceptable? We Dota players are a hypocritical bunch aren't we?

I don't know why the Aegis doesn't already have a timer on it, it just saves you having to make a mental note of the time it runs out. Its more of a minor convenience than a "cheat".
    To me the biggest advantage seems to be the fact that you don't have to remember hero cooldowns. I usually guess when the enemy ulties are back up, the only thing I always check time on are sentries and observers.

I don't really find it imba, but not completely fair either. We can speculate how is this different from, for example, certain WoW addons and they are probably even worse, but... I don't know, I just don't like it. Maybe I find the game more competitive than to allow these kind of addons.
    Last edited by mmocf152bdecb0; 2014-09-20 at 09:30 PM.

Valve won't allow it and shouldn't, unless they're prepared to simply add those timers to the main game UI themselves.

Apart from the fact Valve CANT do anything about it due to the way it works.
    Primo - it is simple overlay
    Duo - it isnt automated countdown

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, manual ult timers, isn't its the same as, you know, WATCHING OF A FUCKING CLOCK ON THE TOP OF YOUR SCREEN?
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Wow, manual ult timers, isn't its the same as, you know, WATCHING OF A FUCKING CLOCK ON THE TOP OF YOUR SCREEN?
    Of course, there is no difference in remembering ultimate cooldowns of all 100+ heroes + remembering when they used them + when they looted aegis (+ buyback cooldowns), adding the numbers together and then again remembering when they will be ready all the while playing your best AND just clicking a button in your UI and looking at timers.

It's not maphack level by a long shot, but it still gives you quite an advantage. In pro games probably not, but on pubs how often can you see people write even when roshan fell in chat, one in 3, 4 games?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cellmate View Post
    Of course, there is no difference in remembering ultimate cooldowns of all 100+ heroes + remembering when they used them + when they looted aegis (+ buyback cooldowns), adding the numbers together and then again remembering when they will be ready all the while playing your best AND just clicking a button in your UI and looking at timers.

It's not maphack level by a long shot, but it still gives you quite an advantage. In pro games probably not, but on pubs how often can you see people write even when roshan fell in chat, one in 3, 4 games?
    people who actually cared about this shit already have at least 400 games on their count and already memorized these cooldowns. Also, you can't buy map awareness by 3rd party program. This program, at least for me, serves no purpose because i already know major, important cooldowns like Epicenter, Black hole, Naga song, and other shit that can wipe your team off the map, the problem is only knowing when enemy used it, because you can't be everywhere on a map.
    People who are new to the game and didn't memorized cooldowns, they don't fucking care about these cooldowns, and i really doubt that any new player would want a program that would distract them from a game (even in form of clicking on UI element), they have much more stuff to learn and keep track of, like, map, last hits, shopping, courier control.

Anyways, there will always be people who will find this thing useful, but i really doubt that it will be a lot of people, or that this thing will give anyone unfair advantage. It's just infuriates me how important some people on reddit make this thing. Oh my fucking god, now you can click stuff to turn on 8-11 minute rosh timer when he died, woo hoo. Or even maybe *gasp* 100 second cooldown on RP! Wow! Now i will climb to 6k MMR thanks to this thing!

IMO this thing falls in the same category as these electrical equipment for weight loss from these commercial TV shop shows. It won't improve your gameplay, it's just a tool to improve your gameplay, it won't make it easier for you to win if you don't care or know about these cooldowns for a long time. If you couldn't do basic math while playing Dota for last two months, it won't help you, it's not just "click a button and watch timers!", it's
    1) "remember to click a button at appropriate time", if you see enemy Enigma ganking your top top lane with Black hole at 14:22 and are busy with, for example, slapping enemy, you will most likely miss a click on your timer and it will start at 14:40 instead of 14:22, but if you know that CD on his ult is 200 seconds you don't need to distract and click a button, you just know that it will be up at 17:42.
    2) "pay attention to timers", now instead of just watching at clock, you need to watch timers, two things to watch instead of just one for the same effect, iirc, rule #1 of good interface is to not make two different things for the same thing
    3) no one is going to watch CDs for you, you still need to do that by yourself, and if you already do that, good for you, but if you just found out that there is such a thing, you will fail at doing this 95% of times.
    4) you still need to actually do something with this info, if you know that enemy won't have two major ults in next two minutes and you go and farm ancients or creep, this isn't going to help you.

I don't want to confuse anyone into that i think that this thing is a cheat or shit, i just don't want people to jump into it and expect instant rise in MMR and spam shit like "XXX cd off in YY:YY"
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2014-09-21 at 10:50 AM.
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Valve won't allow it and shouldn't, unless they're prepared to simply add those timers to the main game UI themselves.
    I agree completely, they shouldn't allow it. They can't do anything at all about you making a note of when ults are up with a pen and paper however, and while not technically illegal, it does give you the same information as this addon apparently does. If you really want to have this kind of information to hand, you can get yourself organised enough to do so without it anyway - This just takes some of the hassle out of it.
    You can even write the timers down in team chat if you liked, there's nothing at all stopping you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cellmate View Post
    Its a small advantage, at best, usually. Knowing that Tide's ult is back up in 1:20 does nothing if you're waiting to respawn. Its nice to have, but situations where you can act on it are few and far between. Usually a team is going to try and stall until big ults are back up if they can. And even if you know when their ults are available, you're still going to have to deal with them when you actually do fight.

There's a huge difference between knowing that an ultimate will be up in 140 seconds, doing the timey math, writing that down, all while not actually paying attention to the game because this takes time, and then making sure to look down at your paper in time to check again after you forget what the timer was, versus having a timer automatically placed in game that takes no effort and you can see immediately. This helps a lot more than people realize. A HUGE amount of team fights are won and lost because people went in without ults or enemies thought a certain ult was still down, this explicitly prevents that kind of mistake.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2014-09-21 at 05:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah i think its a big advantage but hey its not like everyone cant download it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    There's a huge difference between knowing that an ultimate will be up in 140 seconds, doing the timey math, writing that down, all while not actually paying attention to the game because this takes time, and then making sure to look down at your paper in time to check again after you forget what the timer was, versus having a timer automatically placed in game that takes no effort and you can see immediately. This helps a lot more than people realize. A HUGE amount of team fights are won and lost because people went in without ults or enemies thought a certain ult was still down, this explicitly prevents that kind of mistake.
    I'd certainly hope everyone could so the math involved, its rather basic. Writing it down is only 4 numbers, so that should be pretty quick, not instant like the addon but still reasonably fast. I'm not for a second advocating you should do it, but the option is always there for those that really want it without having to resort to these types of things.

I disagree that it totally prevents messing up a team fight because an ult was on cooldown, you have the information on your teams cooldowns as part of the UI by default and people will still choose to fight knowing that Ravage isn't ready for another 20 seconds. Knowing the other teams cooldowns is more difficult, and this type of addon is a crutch for it. I don't think it will automatically make you a better player just by installing it, but it can certainly give you an unfair edge in some situations.

its really unfair, knowing enemy cds and stuff. w.o using ur brain for it, is too good imo. Hopefully it doesn't get big.

you can tryhard and do it in game. just type the current time and name it if needed. you can even check the CD in game so you dont really have to "remember" it
    Last edited by EqualWin; 2014-09-21 at 11:33 PM.
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by EqualWin View Post
    you can tryhard and do it in game. just type the current time and name it if needed. you can even check the CD in game so you dont really have to "remember" it
    Not when the enemy is in fog of war or hasn't killed you. I don't really consider looking it up in the hero library an option.

that isn't the problem at all, you can check in lane phase/he wont be in fog forever.

like I said its too good imo, it saves you from using ur brain. it matters a lot in doto
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let me guess, 4 Russians on your team?