Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    It's has been quite a while since a mod had to come in and tap the hammer, I was actually starting to get worried. It's just a part of that thread at this point really
    Well, a mod was in there...

So I'm putting together new build for my brother as a birthday present. What do you think about something like this for under 800€/$?
    - i5 3570k
    - asrock z77 pro3
    - gtx 660 twin frozr III
    - g.skill ripjaws 8gb dualkit
    - WD caviar 500gb blue
    - bitfenix outlaw

Comes out at roughly 760€ (same in dollars give or take few bucks). Any constructive criticism? Could get a Windforce card for the same price as the Twin Frozr.. Also that case, any better alternatives for 40-50 bucks?

For the price of a gtx 660 I can get a factory overclocked gigabyte HD 7870 with the Windforce3 cooler.

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_in...--Retail-.html

Maybe you want to go for a Caviar Black if that is going to be the system drive? Would be about 20 euros extra.

Have you already got a PSU and Windows?
    Last edited by Butler Log; 2012-09-30 at 03:07 PM.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

I can't. 7870 is 50 bucks more than 660. Valid point about that caviar black but I'm already pretty tight on the budget and trying to cut corners wherever I can. Aren't blue drives like blacks but cheaper components, shorter warranty and smaller cache?

Oh and forgot the PSU which was supposed to be XFX 450 core/pro. I have plenty windows copies already.
    Last edited by Ghâzh; 2012-09-30 at 05:13 PM.

A 7850 is probably cheaper than a 660.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

Same price. Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    A 7850 is probably cheaper than a 660.
    While this is generally true, I have no idea where Ghâzh is ordering from.
    That said, I'd suggest a 2500k over the 3570k if the former is cheaper. You won't really notice one way or another, and if need be you can overclock to match.

I'm ordering locally. Which means the price differences are going bonkers all over the place, generally. What is true in the States is just the opposite in Finland.

And don't have the budget for aftermarket cooler. -.- Which I think supports IB as it should be faster at the lower clocks?

Yeah, sure, but you can still add a few MHz. (Ala +200MHz is probably fine, and evens out the playing field.)
    Additionally, I just don't think the few extra % are worth it if you have a tight budget anyway...
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2012-09-30 at 06:16 PM.

You can add a few MHz to both of them. It's not until extreme overclocks when IB really hits the temperature wall. It doesn't matter either way I think even if it sounds like and easy save (10€ difference). I think I'll still choose IB though for the theoretically newer tech, lower power consumption and marginally better performance.

All in all it looks pretty awesome I suppose. I'm still slightly concerned about picking Caviar blue instead of black as a system drive, brought up by Butler.. Maybe I'll just roll with this unless someone has last minute case suggestions I could take a look at. :-)
    Last edited by Ghâzh; 2012-09-30 at 08:33 PM.

I used to run a blue as a system drive. It works. A black would be marginally better; like swapping from a SATA2 SSD to a SATA3.

Started thinking actually.. If I should save 10€ by using 2500k like Drunken said, buy hd 7850 crap edition which would be 25€ cheaper. I could almost squeeze in half decent cooler and overclock the crap out of that 2500k. But then again I doubt the CPU is going to be the "bottleneck" anyway.

Can anyone recommend a monitor stand that supports up to three 24 inch screens without being insanely expensive? I don't want a wall mount since I really have no place to properly mount it in my room.

What's wrong with letting them sit on the desk on their own stands? :-P

I've been seeing a bunch of 0x124 errors on my computer. I'm sort of worried...
    Statism: Total bliss is just one more regulation away.

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    I've been seeing a bunch of 0x124 errors on my computer. I'm sort of worried...
    Usually that means you need more vcore (assuming Sandy/Ivy Bridge, unsure of other platforms)

It's been stable for a year though. :|
    Statism: Total bliss is just one more regulation away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    What's wrong with letting them sit on the desk on their own stands? :-P
    Because my desk doesn't have over 80 inches of table space to support the 3 monitors together, plus one is slightly lower in height then the other two.

Oh. Right. Anyone here know some good software to test for graphical glitches? WoW is behaving a bit weird for me. A few randomly chosen models will either disappear outright or flicker in an out of existence depending on camera angle...

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    Something to force artifacts?
    If your gpu doesn't throttle itself in furmark (through divers), it's really good for spotting them.

Consider trying older drivers as well to see if it persists