1. #2261
    The Lightbringer CheezusCrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nuuk, Greenland
    Posts
    3,338
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I'll take a look at it when I get home, but I've tried disabling the fetch thing before, never going to try again, made searching incredibly slow :P
    i5-4670k 4.2GHz | EVGA GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | 256GB 840 EVO | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Steelseries Rival | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8

  2. #2262
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    15,371
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    I'll take a look at it when I get home, but I've tried disabling the fetch thing before, never going to try again, made searching incredibly slow :P
    I didn't do that I don't think, but definitely kill hibernate and move pagefile and indexing to a HDD. Opens up a pretty pro amount of space.
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Sennheiser HD598 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS

  3. #2263
    TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    tetrisGOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    12,897
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Here is the problem though. Do you really believe 80-90% of home users don't need a system with a keyboard? Are happy with a 10 inch screen at most for multimedia? Happy not being able to burn a CD/DVD/BR?
    Like I said, laptops.
    Do you know anyone with a desktop, like, girls at school/work with desktops rather than laptops?
    When I've hung out with my friend working at the now bust electronics store Expert in Sweden, many of the customers, when asking for "a computer" had no idea what they were looking at when led to a tower. They want laptops. The general populace buy laptops. And many laptops are being replaced by tablets, while those working on desktops get replaced by notebooks.
    It's an attractive trade, mobility. One I don't agree with.

    And then there are tablets with keyboard docks. I'm sorry, I want desktops and I want the general populace to have them. I just can't see it keeping up.

  4. #2264
    Right now, the only mobile device I would consider buying (for working) would be a tablet with a dock-keyboard arrangement or a netbook/ultrabook. I have an intense hatred of on-screen keyboards, they don't work right and they are so slow to type on.

    I can see tablets replacing gaming consoles, but they won't replace proper computers.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

    Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

  5. #2265
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    just a quick question anyone here got exp with refurbished HDDs?
    looking to improve storage capacity and those are rather good priced :P

  6. #2266
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    just a quick question anyone here got exp with refurbished HDDs?
    looking to improve storage capacity and those are rather good priced :P
    Wouldn't touch used electronics with a 30 foot barge pole.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

    Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

  7. #2267
    Yeah, unless you can see (or get a screenshot of) S.M.A.R.T readings before purchasing, I would stay far away from them. HDDs, PSUs and GPUs are the worst things to buy used. On the other hand though, RAM/CPUs/mobos/disc drives/cases all have very little that can go wrong with them over time.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

    build pics

  8. #2268
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Wouldn't touch used electronics with a 30 foot barge pole.
    I'm using a 3770k with 2x 7950 OCs in CF. All used and cost £800 total. Setup like with would cost twice that if bought new.

  9. #2269
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodNewsEveryone View Post
    I'm using a 3770k with 2x 7950 OCs in CF. All used and cost £800 total. Setup like with would cost twice that if bought new.
    You mean the CPU and two GPUs cost 800, or the whole computer cost 800? Because a new 3770K and two 7950s costs less than 800 pounds.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£242.90 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) (£269.72 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) (£269.72 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £782.34
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

    Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

  10. #2270
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Wouldn't touch used electronics with a 30 foot barge pole.
    My i7 2600k was 6 months old when I bought it from a friend, no problems with it. It went from one board into another, no risk of damage. Graphics cards are another matter, they get really dirty and the fans wear out or start squeaking. Anything with a motor or spindle in it, I wouldn't touch on the used market, at least if you know where you are buying a used CPU from, it's less risk. Plus the warranties are like 3 years anyway.

  11. #2271
    Yeah, it's kinda hard to break a CPU nowadays unless you turn off all safety restrictions and pump voltages through it and melt the damn thing.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

    Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

  12. #2272
    Too bad the Fractal Node 650 lacks optical drive mounts, otherwise I would be all over one like flies on horse shit

  13. #2273
    TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    tetrisGOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    12,897
    Do you really need one? Get an USB one that you can use for all your current and future builds instead. Works great for slim notebooks without optical drive as well.
    http://www.amazon.com/Asus-External-.../dp/B003YT578O that one is really slim and neat.

  14. #2274
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    You mean the CPU and two GPUs cost 800, or the whole computer cost 800? Because a new 3770K and two 7950s costs less than 800 pounds.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£242.90 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) (£269.72 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) (£269.72 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £782.34
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    Entire tower minus cooler and case which were from a previous build. Sabertooth Z77, Agility 3 120gb, Corsair HX 850 and 2x1TB Seagate drives were included in the £800 budget.

    Quite suprised more people out there don't buy used parts especially with the rate technology evolves. You can get a 3570k on ebay right now for £100 and it's quite a bit better than the old 2500k especially if you're rocking a PCI 3 board with a next generation card.

    XFX graphic cards also offer a double warranty for the used buyers if your in the States (doesn't apply in Europe) so even the most worried gamer has an option to get a high end card for a lot less.

  15. #2275
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    btw anyone got exp with using warranty on headsets because of the wire having some issues creating static :S (corsair 1500 that is)

  16. #2276
    TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    tetrisGOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    12,897
    They tend to do that, for some reason. I don't remember where I was reading it, but adding the microphone makes a lot of conflict apparantly with the cables and frailty. I have no idea whether it's isolation or what.

    If you have to replace them, I'd recommend you a pair of headphones with a detachable cord. So you can just replace it if it goes bad, but it rarely do as often in headphones as in headsets.

  17. #2277
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    They tend to do that, for some reason. I don't remember where I was reading it, but adding the microphone makes a lot of conflict apparantly with the cables and frailty. I have no idea whether it's isolation or what.

    If you have to replace them, I'd recommend you a pair of headphones with a detachable cord. So you can just replace it if it goes bad, but it rarely do as often in headphones as in headsets.
    well i'd rather hope i get a new pair back because i like them allot or isn't such a thing covered by warranty?
    (don't got that much exp with returning stuff only twice with ssd/mobo which were insta replacements no questions asked)

  18. #2278
    TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    tetrisGOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    12,897
    I would call them and ask them what typical damages the warranty cover at all, if you want to find out. I'd not mention what your issue is and see if it comes up.

  19. #2279
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    seems worth a shot i've put in a tech support ticket for now on the corsair site. (checked retailer site and they suggest direct contact for faster service)
    guess i'll see what happens.

  20. #2280
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Do you really need one? Get an USB one that you can use for all your current and future builds instead. Works great for slim notebooks without optical drive as well.
    http://www.amazon.com/Asus-External-.../dp/B003YT578O that one is really slim and neat.
    For my Blu Ray player, yes I need a drive bay. USB is way too slow to play HD films consistently.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •