Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    As far as I know stay away from his "configurator" (or whatever it's called) tool which allows you to change graphical settings beyond the scope of the game.

A fresh install could also fix your stuff. It's Crysis 2 as a game which is bugged up the butt, I did a reinstall > Install DX11 patch > Install the texture pack provided by Crytek. And THEN I installed MaLDoHD.
    hmm, i'll have to try that, i already had the fun of calling EA this morning because i've run out of activations on my crysis 2 key

i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

So apparently routers bottleneck modems? I didn't realize that. Recently, we were having problems with our Linksys WRT160N router, which is a few years old now and noticed that our connection speed wasn't maximizing what our ISP lists our connection at. Since a few mobile devices like laptops were constantly losing their signals from the router, my dad decided to replace it. Being the iSheep that he is, he bought an Apple Airport Wireless N Dual Band router and once it was setup, it increased everyone's network and download speeds by 65%. I went from getting a 10Mbs download speed on Speedtest to 28.41Mbs after the router was replaced and I am connected to the network the same way I was before, on a Powerline connection (works great by the way).

Sounds like a 300 mbps wireless capable router. The "bottleneck" was the wireless interface on the previous router.

Anyone familiar with PHP and willing to help me out a bit? Preferably through Steam chat so I can ask some questions? It's beginner stuff.

Me.

Sounds like a 300 mbps wireless capable router. The "bottleneck" was the wireless interface on the previous router.
    The wireless should bottleneck, but not a 100Mb wired connection, which is what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The wireless should bottleneck, but not a 100Mb wired connection, which is what happened.
    most home routers are not very good, you gotta stop and think that they are taking the functions of several dedicated devices and putting them into a single unit, and on top of that, they are doing it as cheap as possible

there is a reason i built my own router

i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    most home routers are not very good, you gotta stop and think that they are taking the functions of several dedicated devices and putting them into a single unit, and on top of that, they are doing it as cheap as possible

there is a reason i built my own router
    gimme howto

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    gimme howto
    i was originally going to, but there are already tons of guides for building your own PFSense router, the problem is that while PFSense is probably the best routing OS on the market, you really need to know your shit, i've got tons of networking and security knowledge, but i still scratch my head on a few things and end up having to call my friend

so the best i could do is a hardware guide:
    find an industrial grade M-ITX board with a Mini-PCIe slot, dual Intel NICs and an atom D510 or D525 (good luck, embedded solution companies dont talk to consumers) I used this one: http://www.emersonnetworkpower.com/e...mpMITX440.aspx

next, find an Atheros 5000 series wifi card
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATHEROS-AR5B...item51a266c429

then get your antennas:
    http://store.netgate.com/24-GHz-5-dB...G-P126C42.aspx

and your connecting wires:
    http://store.netgate.com/UFL-to-RP-S...e-P255C95.aspx

then all you need is a case, PSU, 4GB RAM, and an SSD (high IOPS caching one)

i would suggest a nice HTPC case made out of aluminum so you can drill holes for the wifi antennas, as well as something that looks premium to show off how good that router really is, and a pico-psu if the case doesn't include one, you also need a good Gbe switch, look at cisco, and dont pay less then about 70$, the cheap ones crap out after a few months

in total you could do this for about $200, but i would suggest spending more on the $400 range for quality parts, if done right you will have:
    high power no BS router that laughs at you when your ISP says to reboot it
    high speed fast 802.11G wifi with RADIUS capability
    proxy cache web accelerator
    network wide ad-block and malicious site filter
    home VPN server
    industry grade IDS/IPS for preventing bots, dos/ddos, trojans and worms, as well as would be hackers on your wifi

you can also do with with a consumer board, but the industrial ones are industrial for a reason

oh, and as for a case, i would look at something like this:
    http://www.minicase.net/product_E-Q8.html#param
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2012-12-21 at 10:21 PM.

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    Bought a meter to check how much power my computer draws.
    Overclocked CPU (i5-760), overclocked GPU (GTX 680), 4x DIMMs of RAM, four drives (SSD, Mech, Mech, Opt), keyboard with extra USB for USB-hub, mouse, external harddrive, wired Xbox controller, while charging phone, camera and headphone amp (Fiio e5) through USB.
    Running Unigine heaven (realistic gaming load)

Peak from the wall, 317w. Non-bronze but 80+ PSU (first TX650). For simplicity, I'll take the 50% load number of 86% (230VAC).
    So internally, it draws 272.62w (=42%), meaning I have roughly 377.38w to spare until I hit 650w internally - which it should be able to handle with overload.

Idle, ~91w (while all those peripherals and charging are plugged in). This is less than 20%, so its efficiency plummets below the 82% efficiency at 20%, but I'll take 82% anyway, and I get 74.62w, meaning it's close to approaching 10% draw idling, which is way too low.

In short, I need a bigger PSU so I can get more FPS.

Yeah, my computer under load runs probably around 200 watts or so, kinda amusing since my parents complain about me leaving it on when I am not using it. Well it idles less then the old family desktop we had and it's a million times more powerful.

Merry Christmas computer forum all the best
    i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz-Asus Sabertooth P67 B3 8gb Corsair XMS-3
    EVGA GTX 670 4tw 4gb
    CreativeX-Fi Titanium Pro paired with (Corsair SP2500)
    Corsair HX850
    250gb Samsung 840 ssd
    Silverstone Raven 3

Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stravs View Post
    Merry Christmas computer forum all the best
    and a brand new SCV! (must resist linking vid)
    anyone with some badass x-mass gifts? (no luck here :S)

Everyone too busy with frankohol atm Some Pioneer CDJ's coming in a month I don't know if that count's towards pc tech bit it will be hooked up to my rig atleast.

Added: And I think that counts as badass haha time to put my 10 year old 1210's to rest
    Last edited by Stravs; 2012-12-25 at 08:00 PM.
    i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz-Asus Sabertooth P67 B3 8gb Corsair XMS-3
    EVGA GTX 670 4tw 4gb
    CreativeX-Fi Titanium Pro paired with (Corsair SP2500)
    Corsair HX850
    250gb Samsung 840 ssd
    Silverstone Raven 3

Hey Computer Chat Forum --

I received this headset for Christmas, but...I'm getting static when it's plugged in. It plays music fine, but when music isn't 'really' loud, the static is rather distracting. I assume I need to download a driver for it? No disc came with it...

I went to this page, which appears to be their driver page, but I don't see a Mac driver, so I can't test it before I commute back to my house. Am I missing something? The package and website says it supports Mac...

This is my first experience with a non-super-cheap headset, any input would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Hey Computer Chat Forum --

I received this headset for Christmas, but...I'm getting static when it's plugged in. It plays music fine, but when music isn't 'really' loud, the static is rather distracting. I assume I need to download a driver for it? No disc came with it...

I went to this page, which appears to be their driver page, but I don't see a Mac driver, so I can't test it before I commute back to my house. Am I missing something? The package and website says it supports Mac...

This is my first experience with a non-super-cheap headset, any input would be appreciated.
    Quite a few TurtleBeach products have the static issue. See if this helps:

http://www.turtlebeach.com/support/entry/603418902/
    http://www.turtlebeach.com/support/entry/603420326/

Quite a few TurtleBeach products have the static issue. See if this helps:

http://www.turtlebeach.com/support/entry/603418902/
    http://www.turtlebeach.com/support/entry/603420326/
    I will try that in a couple days, when I commute back to my Windows desktop. At the moment, though, I can only test it on this Mac laptop, of which I don't see anything I can do to alleviate this. Either way, though, thank you for the help. I'll try it asap.

Are you using a frontpanel header, or directly into the rear IO? Assuming this isn't a laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Are you using a frontpanel header, or directly into the rear IO? Assuming this isn't a laptop.
    This is a laptop. I'm using a MacBook Pro, that is at least 5 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Bought a meter to check how much power my computer draws.
    Overclocked CPU (i5-760), overclocked GPU (GTX 680), 4x DIMMs of RAM, four drives (SSD, Mech, Mech, Opt), keyboard with extra USB for USB-hub, mouse, external harddrive, wired Xbox controller, while charging phone, camera and headphone amp (Fiio e5) through USB.
    Running Unigine heaven (realistic gaming load)

Peak from the wall, 317w. Non-bronze but 80+ PSU (first TX650). For simplicity, I'll take the 50% load number of 86% (230VAC).
    So internally, it draws 272.62w (=42%), meaning I have roughly 377.38w to spare until I hit 650w internally - which it should be able to handle with overload.

Idle, ~91w (while all those peripherals and charging are plugged in). This is less than 20%, so its efficiency plummets below the 82% efficiency at 20%, but I'll take 82% anyway, and I get 74.62w, meaning it's close to approaching 10% draw idling, which is way too low.

In short, I need a bigger PSU so I can get more FPS.
    Hot damn!

If you're pulling that little... I need to see how much I'm pulling. O_o

[email protected] - 1.42v
    GTX 560 Ti@950MHz - 1.037v
    4x 1.5v RAM-DIMM@1333MHz
    2 7200RPM drives, 1 5900RPM drive, 1 SSD, 1 ODD, 1 fan controller
    Asus Xonar DX
    Corsair K90 with extra USB used for webcam.
    Mouse
    E-HDD

All with the SeaSonic X660 Gold

I'm very very interested now.
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS