Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    same for controls on certain games imo
    God skyrim's menu was awful on a computer. Was designed 100% exclusively for a controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    God skyrim's menu was awful on a computer. Was designed 100% exclusively for a controller.
    thats why i use a controller with it

i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | FT02
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei Wireless | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

I am by no means a console gamer, so I don't know much about how things work, but does the limited hardware in consoles not force game developers to come up with more efficient code and have the pc world not gained from that?
    Last edited by Cusco; 2013-01-04 at 01:14 PM.
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Cusco View Post
    I am by no means a console gamer, so I don't know much about how things work, but does the limited hardware in consoles not force game developers to come up with more efficient code and have the pc world not gained from that?
    Yes and no. While the code may be more efficient for consoles, the almost universal truth is that when they port to PC the job they do is sloppy, to say the least.

Look at GTA IV, which was terribly unoptimized for normal hardware. Or Skyrim, whose interface is absolutely terrible, and whose texture quality was originally clearly just ported from the console version, rather than taking a higher resolution version.

And then there's Dark Soul, which is abhorrent for keyboard and mouse, it's limited to a stupid low resolution as well, and runs GFWL on PC. I also assume that with this poor quality of porting the game was also littered with bugs, but I can't claim familiarity to that. (Though many of the issues were fixed by community, IIRC.)

Mechagnome
    Saw these on reddit:

http://imgur.com/a/W5tg2#0

Pretty damn awesome 10.40 dollars for 100 of em.
    CPU: I5 2500K @4.5ghz (1.285v), CPU cooler: Corsair H100 push/pull GPU: MSI R7970 Lightning @1200Mhz, Case: Corsair 650D, Ram: 16GB Corsair vengeance, Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, PSU: Corsair TX650M, SSD: Samsung 830 128GB, HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB SPU: Xonar Essence STX

I like how the poster used a bunch of them, but the cable management still looked like crap...

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I like how the poster used a bunch of them, but the cable management still looked like crap...
    Wouldn't call that crap myself. Sure it looks messy in the back, but it's the front that matters.

The front is what "matters", but I think the biggest achievement is getting it clean on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Yes and no. While the code may be more efficient for consoles, the almost universal truth is that when they port to PC the job they do is sloppy, to say the least.
    One of the biggest culprits was the latest Duke Nukem release, which clearly had absolutely nothing done to it other than making it able to be run on PC.

I would also like some of those attachable management loops, I found that there weren't enough of them in my Arc, which led to my cable management being frustrating (even considering I hadn't done cable management in years) :/
    Last edited by Butler Log; 2013-01-04 at 05:54 PM.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    One of the biggest culprits was the latest Duke Nukem release, which clearly had absolutely nothing done to it other than making it able to be run on PC.

I would also like some of those attachable management loops, I found that there weren't enough of them in my Arc, which led to my cable management being frustrating (even considering I hadn't done cable management in years) :/
    I would probably say Darkness 2 was a bigger culprit with the whole FoV issue...but more or less ALL console ports are culprits.

You can immediately tell when the PC playerbase has to jump in and figure out all the console commands to increase the FoV (why can't devs understand PC needs HIGHER FUCKING FOV), get graphics/textures running at higher resolutions, applying anti-aliasing, higher amounts of AF, etc etc. None of which are available on the ingame GUI.

I'm playing Mass Effect 2 (agaaaain!) and it astounds me how much better the game looks after about ~30 minutes of diving deep into all the shit that can be configured, along with a little help from player-made texture packs. The game also flawlessly supports FoV's of 100, but apparently Bioware couldn't figure this shit out:

Default:

100: (bonus - lets me see my shepherds as--I mean extra gun)

Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-01-04 at 09:00 PM.

Yeah, it was absolutely ridiculous for me to look into ME3 and discover that the game, for all intents and purposes, looked like shit.

At least they thought to give PC gamers the option of a console input (was very useful in Skyrim for spawning NPCs or items that had bugged - and also useful for less constructive use, like spawning in 100 dragons or filling a pub with turnips). I wonder if they just thought "I can't be bothered fixing that for the few gamers that will buy the game for PC, I'll just give them access to a "GM" console so they can fix it themselves."

In other news, external PCI-E enclosures are coming...

That one only has a 250W PSU and drivers are an issue, but imagine if you had one with full PCI-E 2.0 16x or even PCI-E 3.0 - have a portable rendering box with a couple of graphics cards in it, or rather smaller enclosures for a portable PCI-E sound card to go with a portable beamer.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    They've been showing concepts since early 2011, so about time they materialise.

they've had them for much longer, the new ones are just thunderbolt

the only ones that have ever truly worked the the infiniband links for rack mount setups

i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | FT02
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei Wireless | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    could that work as an external GPU option or would TB lack bandwidth?
    would make high end laptop shopping way easier and turns it into a monster performance machine when needed? (only needs a good CPU/screen/ssd then)

Thunderbolt can do up to 10Gb/s IIRC. Enough for a graphics card.

Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    ultrabook during school and a monster gaming rig at home? now that would be a worthwhile investment for many gamers likely.
    also QQ deal i spotted on a gtx 690 changed status to reserved -_- (if i'd be any good ofc)

well if you want to game, you would have to use a PCIe expansion with infiniband, there really is no way around it, but none of that plugs into a laptop

infiniband is up to 300Gb/s with extreme low latency, it's used for connecting modules in a supercomputer

but you can find it in PCIe expansion boxes

well, if you wanted to run say a 690, you would need 16Gb/s, TB is only 10 and has overhead

it's possible to create a laptop PCIe slot expander, but that wouldn't be usable on most laptops