Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Doesn't 3Dmark have a graph thingy which shows the average scores posted by other people with the same specs as you?

They look like some nice monitors, what are you powering them with?
    Yeah I found it after I posted I like I said haven't really used it before. I used it years ago on my 3850 but that seems like a decade ago thou I know it wasn't.

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    They look like some nice monitors, what are you powering them with?
    Electricity
    ASUS Xonar DX. Thinking about adding a sub later, but despite being only equiv. US$ 372.55, they sound surprisingly good without one.

It's not "a lot" of bass, but it's good, tight bass. Bass heavy songs have much bass, songs without bass doesn't have any. I'll add the sub for movies mostly though.

Just received a laptop with a broken screen. Does anyone have any creative ideas of what to do with it? Sort-of looking for a new project.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Electricity
    Son of a....
    ASUS Xonar DX. Thinking about adding a sub later, but despite being only equiv. US$ 372.55, they sound surprisingly good without one.

It's not "a lot" of bass, but it's good, tight bass. Bass heavy songs have much bass, songs without bass doesn't have any. I'll add the sub for movies mostly though.
    Sounds about right for what monitors are supposed to do, reproduce quality bass without letting it coming in the way of mids/highs.

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Just received a laptop with a broken screen. Does anyone have any creative ideas of what to do with it? Sort-of looking for a new project.
    Attach wheels to it as to make an expensive skateboard. Then skate around it, and when someone asks you "Won't it break?" and you'll say, "Nah, don't worry. X is a quality brand, it won't break, look at thi-- HOLY SHIT I GOT A HUGE CRACK IN IT" and freak them out.

Attach wheels to it as to make an expensive skateboard. Then skate around it, and when someone asks you "Won't it break?" and you'll say, "Nah, don't worry. X is a quality brand, it won't break, look at thi-- HOLY SHIT I GOT A HUGE CRACK IN IT" and freak them out.
    hahahahahaa

Do it Marest, do it!
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Sennheiser HD598 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS

I feel trolled... although I was told to troll. I'm confused.

Also, if I were to skate around I'd probably become more broken than the laptop.

Seriously though, all hardware should be fine. The owner wanted me to take out the HDD and in return I got the laptop. So... what to do with it?

Buy some mirrored glass, hang in bathroom and use it as a mirror?

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I feel trolled... although I was told to troll. I'm confused.

Also, if I were to skate around I'd probably become more broken than the laptop.

Seriously though, all hardware should be fine. The owner wanted me to take out the HDD and in return I got the laptop. So... what to do with it?
    Use it as a HTPC or a server of some kind.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

or get a new screen, they aren't hard to replace

i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    I think that is what he intends to do, but wondering what he's going to use the old one for. I am of course putting words in his mouth about that.

I think that is what he intends to do, but wondering what he's going to use the old one for. I am of course putting words in his mouth about that.
    What kind of project could you make with a broken screen?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    What kind of project could you make with a broken screen?
    I said skateboard, he said nuh-uh!

Oh if that is the case I guess maybe a "stjärtlapp" would be more fitting.

On a more serious note, if the hardware is fully working what about a tellstick server?
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2013-01-16 at 07:57 AM.

If the LCD panel isn't totally effed, then you can use it to make a beamer or one of those electronic picture frames.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Buy some mirrored glass, hang in bathroom and use it as a mirror?
    I'm not sure what the computer would actually bring to the whole "mirror" experience, but I appreciate the suggestion.

Use it as a HTPC or a server of some kind.
    HTPC is the go-to thing, but it's honestly too loud for it. Also, between my Raspberry and main rig I'm pretty covered on that front. Server is something to play around with but for what purpose? It's not very powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    Certainly not, but too expensive. I don't need a laptop really.

Probably the best suggestion so far.

Oh if that is the case I guess maybe a "stjärtlapp" would be more fitting.

On a more serious note, if the hardware is fully working what about a tellstick server?
    Here down in Skåne we have like... no hills and mostly no snow. Tellstick server was not a bad idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    If the LCD panel isn't totally effed, then you can use it to make a beamer or one of those electronic picture frames.
    It's totally dead. I get flashes of light on occasion.

Well, that's a relief. Strange noise was coming from the area around my PSU, kinda like what a fly sounds like when it is trying to get out of the room and keeps hitting the window with its wings, that kind of intermittent rattly buzz. I was a bit worried there, but it turns out it was a sweet wrapper trapped between the dust filter and the desk and the air flow into the PSU was making it rattle.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

Oh the joys of discovering my new MSI 680 Lightning already has the unlocked LN2 bios. Yay not having to flash anything (not that it would've been hard).

This thing is a friggin beast. Tax return time FTW.

Also got my Coolermaster Storm Trooper. I was the least abrasive case aesthetically to my eyes that had a handle, but it actually looks way better in person than in the pics.
    Last edited by nbm02ss; 2013-01-17 at 05:29 AM.

Mechagnome
    Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    Oh the joys of discovering my new MSI 680 Lightning already has the unlocked LN2 bios. Yay not having to flash anything (not that it would've been hard).

This thing is a friggin beast. Tax return time FTW.

Also got my Coolermaster Storm Trooper. I was the least abrasive case aesthetically to my eyes that had a handle, but it actually looks way better in person than in the pics.
    Does yours OC well?
    CPU: I5 2500K @4.5ghz (1.285v), CPU cooler: Corsair H100 push/pull GPU: MSI R7970 Lightning @1200Mhz, Case: Corsair 650D, Ram: 16GB Corsair vengeance, Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, PSU: Corsair TX650M, SSD: Samsung 830 128GB, HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB SPU: Xonar Essence STX

Ok I'm seriously confused with PWM and non-PWM fans. See, I plugged a single Corsair SP120 fan (3pin) to my CPU fan header (4pin) but no matter what the CPU temp was, the bugger kept spinning at 1370rpm in my hand. The whole time, from startup to a P95 run. So it seems the CPU fan header is unable to slow the fan down based on CPU temp, but the fan that came with my Hyper212 (CM Blademaster 120mm) has a 4-pin connector and that thing adjusted it's speed really well.

Soooo what this means is that I need to find a way to connect the 4th pin to my SP120's somehow. I mean come on, these fans were made to cool radiators! They can undervolt just fine, I've had them spinning at all sorts of low speeds all this time, so I see absolutely no reason why the CPU fan header can't slow it down??? What does the 4th pin DO exactly that can't be done with 3 (or even 2) pins?

I was originally planning to use a fan splitter to connect both SP120's (H100) to the CPU fan header on the mobo, but if they keep spinning at max speed that sorta defeats the purpose (plus they get a bit loud). No, connecting them to the H100 unit itself is a bad idea because they keep spinning at max RPM's no matter what.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-01-17 at 11:14 AM.