Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Should I feel bad that I don't use a mousepad? The wood on my desk is very conducive to not having to use one hehe. (I usually do worse if attempting to use a mousepad, since when gaming, especially playing FPS my mouse goes freaking everywhere.
    I used to do that too. I had an old laminated wood desk that I scratched up to varying degrees with my finger nails.

The different patches of scratchiness were to give me different mouse sensitivities depending if I was sniping, turning a lot, etc.

Then I get a real mouse pad and realized it was 10x better.

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    Is that from your wrist or the mouse?
    Mouse. With new feet (4 months old?). Which are ruined as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    I used to do that too. I had an old laminated wood desk that I scratched up to varying degrees with my finger nails.

The different patches of scratchiness were to give me different mouse sensitivities depending if I was sniping, turning a lot, etc.

Then I get a real mouse pad and realized it was 10x better.
    Hah, yeah I've definitely got a small "scratch" zone where my mouse is, but it requires shining some ultrabright lights on to see since my desk is black, and the spot where the mouse typically sits is partially covered by the overhang my second monitor sits on.

Though, I don't think I've ever actually owned a "real" mouse pad, only cheap ones and stuff.
    "Then we have found, as it seems, that the many beliefs of the many about what's fair and about the other things roll around somewhere between not-being and being purely and simply." - Plato: Republic

I find it kind of odd... the WotLK CE mousepad I've had since launch day of WotLK and used for the majority of that time (now at least 3+ years worth of use) seems to be shockingly resistant to any signs of wear.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I find it kind of odd... the WotLK CE mousepad I've had since launch day of WotLK and used for the majority of that time (now at least 3+ years worth of use) seems to be shockingly resistant to any signs of wear.
    I'm using a beat up mouse-mat with a Groucho Marx quote on it right now. Thinking about framing the WotLK mouse-mat.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I'm using a beat up mouse-mat with a Groucho Marx quote on it right now. Thinking about framing the WotLK mouse-mat.
    +10 Internet super points for Groucho Marx! I SALUTE YOU

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    My kids killed mine. I got the steelseries starcraft one atm and it's holding up pretty good. I also tend to use the play mats from the CCG game there big can hold your keyboard and mouse along with other shit.

I'm using a Steelseries Qck and it is holding up well. I had a XTRAC Ripper before, and it was great.

I just got my Samsung Galaxy Note II. It's a large fellow, indeed! 5.5"

Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

My Propus 380 is still almost as good as new. You can definitely see that it has been used regularly, but it still works and performs as it should. I do however prefer a non-friction mousemat over a low-friction, high precision one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cusco View Post
    I just got my Samsung Galaxy Note II. It's a large fellow, indeed! 5.5"

[img]http://i.imgur.com/SCljphe.png /img]
    Grats on that, I got mine pretty much right when they came out (Replaced some nameless phone that was 4 years old) and am loving it.
    "Then we have found, as it seems, that the many beliefs of the many about what's fair and about the other things roll around somewhere between not-being and being purely and simply." - Plato: Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Grats on that, I got mine pretty much right when they came out (Replaced some nameless phone that was 4 years old) and am loving it.
    Thank you! I love it already.
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

Mechagnome
    CPU: I5 2500K @4.5ghz (1.285v), CPU cooler: Corsair H100 push/pull GPU: MSI R7970 Lightning @1200Mhz, Case: Corsair 650D, Ram: 16GB Corsair vengeance, Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, PSU: Corsair TX650M, SSD: Samsung 830 128GB, HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB SPU: Xonar Essence STX

AMD accuses former top employees of stealing over 100,000 documents
    Chip maker says the defendants gave trade secrets to their new employer, Nvidia.

AMD filed a complaint yesterday alleging that four of its former employees—one former vice-president and three former managers—transferred sensitive AMD documents before joining competing graphics chip maker Nvidia and then violated a “no-solicitation of employees” promise. The company alleges that Robert Feldstein, Manoo Desai, and Nicolas Kociuk collectively downloaded over 100,000 files onto external hard drives in the six months before leaving the company. All three and another manager, Richard Hagen, were accused of recruiting AMD employees after leaving for Nvidia.

The most senior person accused in AMD's complaint is Robert Feldstein, who was the vice president of strategic development at AMD until his departure for AMD's competitor. ZDnet notes that Feldstein "helped broker major contracts to see AMD technology launch in the next-generation range of games consoles, including the Xbox, PlayStation, and the Wii U, before he left for Nvidia.” In the complaint, AMD says that after Feldstein and Hagen left, they recruited Desai, who then recruited Kociuk “and perhaps additional AMD employees to leave AMD for competitor Nvidia.”

AMD says it forensically analyzed the former employees' computers and found additional evidence that “Desai and Kociuk conspired with each other to misappropriate AMD's confidential, proprietary, and/or trade secret information; and/or to intentionally access AMD's protected computers, without authorization and/or in a way that exceeded their authorized access.”

The chip maker asked for injunctive relief from the court in its complaint, hoping to recover the files which it says it has forensic evidence of the four defendants taking. It also filed a restraining order against the four employees, which was granted. The order requires Feldstein, Desai, and Kociuk to retain all of their AMD property and preserve all computers in their ownership for forensic evaluation. Mr. Hagen was only ordered to refrain from recruiting any more AMD employees.
    Source: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...000-documents/

If this is true...I honestly don't know what consequences there could be for nVidia and/or the former AMD executives.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    Well, AMD was very clear that they are not attacking or putting any blame on nVidia.
    At least acc the SweC-article last week.

i read about this earlier

they could press charges against the employees, but from a business standpoint that won't help, the damage has already been done

however, this does look bad on Nvidia, they should have denied the hire, and reported the employees to AMD, instead of keeping it quiet

i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | FT02
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei Wireless | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    however, this does look bad on Nvidia, they should have denied the hire, and reported the employees to AMD, instead of keeping it quiet
    This isn't the first time nVidia has done sketchy things, so I wouldn't look too worried. When they can come up on stage and claim they're presenting a functional card, but it's held literally together by woodscrews, and most people apparently forgot about it or never knew of it...

Or tweaktown's parade on nVidia's practices during its introduction into how it obtained a sample GTX 680.

Then there was the nice lil' bomb when anonymous sources began leaking details about the kind of 'guidelines' nVidia provided after the voltage control lockdown happened, etc. Not being allowed to use the GK104 chips to make a single product superior to the GTX 690 and all. (Presumably it's now so close to the end of the cycle and Asus have been granted permission, given the new MARS card to come.)

They've had a whole lot of heap against them, moreso than AMD really ever had far as I've seen of it (do tell me if I'm wrong), but there's been no noticeable effect when no one outside of the 'diehard' crowd knows, and many of them will turn a blind eye to it because they're biased towards nVidia anyway, just as others are biased towards AMD.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2013-01-23 at 11:40 PM.

Then there was the nice lil' bomb when anonymous sources began leaking details about the kind of 'guidelines' nVidia provided after the voltage control lockdown happened, etc. Not being allowed to use the GK104 chips to make a single product superior to the GTX 690 and all.

Is that even legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Is that even legal?
    Legal? It's a legally bound agreement. "You want to manufacture products that use our GPUs? Well, sign here."

edit: Oh look, HardOCP just published an article reflecting my exact views on nVidia lol...
    These quotes especially: http://hardocp.com/article/2013/01/2...mance_review/6

Grady's Thoughts

The biggest thing that stood out to me during 2012 was NVIDIA's consistency of releasing a new driver when big name games were being launched. While we do not have the data here to show the performance changes of AMD's video cards, it was clear that NVIDIA was on top of its game with fixing bugs, adding necessary profiles to the driver software for games to run correctly.

From the day that the GeForce GTX 600 series was launched, the NVIDIA GPUs dominated the AMD video cards for an extensive period of time, not only because of better and newer hardware, but because of more advanced driver programming. There were a few months after the GeForce GTX 600 series launch where the AMD video cards were operating faster due to breakthroughs with AMD drivers. Eventually the NVIDIA drivers caught the hardware back up in gameplay performance. NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 600 series video cards with excellent driver software even outperformed AMD's GHz Edition video cards during the initial release and a few months thereafter. It was not until recently that the two companies drivers became close again in performance.

The biggest credit that I have to give NVIDIA is releasing drivers with popular named games. Time in and time out NVIDIA has a driver ready anytime something big is happening, and the profiles generally support every aspect of the game. When a GeForce driver is released for a new game, we can immediately expect to have SLI performance for multi-display gaming. AMD dropped the ball after releasing its HD 7000 series video cards back at the end of 2011. It took them a few months before they ever added any CrossFire support came out so customers could use multiple video cards without worrying about stability issues. We even let AMD know what it was doing wrong in our AMD CrossFireX Drivers - Opportunity Lost article. NVIDIA showed none of this negligence towards its customers this year, making them hands down the better company as far as delivering driver software this year.

Brent's Thoughts

I'll echo Grady's comments above, he's spot on about NVIDIA being on the ball when new top tier, and even non-top tier games have been released. We are always aware of an NVIDIA driver sometimes several days, or even a month, ahead of time ready to support the new game on day 1 release. In 2012, NVIDIA has a good record of this for single-card performance, and SLI performance in new games, on day 1. For the beginning part of 2012, AMD did fairly poorly when it came to CrossFire support, and we ranted about that quite a bit. I do think AMD got their act together in the second half of 2012, and did a much better job at providing driver releases on or before new game releases. There was a definite mark of improvement I saw, as 2012 progressed on the AMD side. We will map this out, and talk about that more in the AMD article.

As far as NVIDIA is concerned, we never had any major problems with drivers or performance that I can recall for 2012 in all the games that we have tested. If you look back, we performed a lot of gameplay performance and IQ reviews in games for 2012. Looking back, I count a total of 10 unique games that we performed performance and IQ testing in, and then consider our regular gaming suite we also used, as it evolved over time in 2012. In all of these games we looked at, we never had any trouble with any NVIDIA driver giving us major bugs, or a lack of SLI profile support, or any major issues that I can recall. We always had good performance when these game's launched, and the GTX 680 and 670 performed very well. It always seemed like the optimizations were already there, before we even started playing the game with the current driver out at the time. There were a lot of Beta driver releases that constantly added support for new games, and we kept up to date with those and always had a good gameplay experience throughout the year. As far as 2012 goes, the GTX 680 and GTX 670, and in turn GTX 660 Ti and GTX 660 have had great success, and a lot of that is due to the drivers support and optimizations in games. The GeForce GTX 600 series started off strong in 2012, and ended strong by the end of 2012, it was a good year for that series. Now we will see what happens in 2013, and follow up next year with a look back at this year.

I'm pretty mad at nVidia for locking down voltage like the way they did with 600 series, I hope they've learned their lesson. But when the 780 comes out I'll be buying it right away, regardless of whether it's locked or not...because I'm pretty much nVidia's bitch. They constantly keep partnering up with game studios and getting their drivers spot-on with new releases and that's what matters to me...not just performance, but shit working right out of the box. Before people dogpile me with "well nVidia have screwed up a lot" and "I've never had any issues with MY amd card!", my personal experiences are my personal experiences. The posts and comments I see around many other forums have pushed me further towards the green side over the last few years - it can't really be helped.
    AMD's stocks falling on a week-by-week basis (seriously, look it up) isn't helping them one bit. The recent benchmarks showing Dozer/Pile under a new light is too little too late, even the majority of builders have declared that Intel is king for gamers.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-01-24 at 04:21 AM.