Deleted
    We are a bit in the same boat there inux94. Sold my system as well but I don't think I'll be stuck with a core2duo for more than a month or so. My case has already arrived, my RAM will come tomorrow and my PSU, motherboard, cooler and some other stuff will arrive later this week. Still, the 680 I'm planning to get won't ship until sometime in May and it's hard to say when I'll be able to pick up a 3570k.

Anyway, tried some painting today and I have to say that it turned out pretty alright. Not sure how well the paint will hold up though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice painting Marest, I'm impressed.

I'm going to paint a couple of logos on my next build, including mmo-champion since it's you guys fault I've turned into some hardware geek, about a year ago I didn't know the difference between Core 2 Duo and Core i5 2500k.

I'm thinking about buying a 550Ti for $220 (greenlandicpriceslol) tomorrow, because the fan is pissing me off on the 4850.

Edit: Also I ordered a Hyper 212, so I can overclock a slight bit on the Phenom.

Edit offtopic: One of my friends just asked me why I'm wasting time on a forum when I could be playing WoW, going to add in the fact that he also said macs are gaming beasts earlier XD (Not to start a flamewar)
    Last edited by inux94; 2012-04-16 at 10:31 PM.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Looking good Marest, I ordered a window kit from FrozenCPU last night, plan on taking the side panel and the mesh from my Arc Midi to my cousin's house and using his dremel to cut out the window and his paint bench to coat the mesh.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-04-16 at 10:33 PM.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    @NWN I would like to see pics of your project after you get done .

Rest assured, I will be posting production pics as well as plenty of the finished product.

10+ Year Old Account
    News on the graphics card, my boss was so nice to give me a 6870, now with my Hyper 212 coming I'm a happy gamer once again

The card is huge, biggest I've seen in my entire life, bigger than my previous 580's O.o
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    News on the graphics card, my boss was so nice to give me a 6870, now with my Hyper 212 coming I'm a happy gamer once again

The card is huge, biggest I've seen in my entire life, bigger than my previous 580's O.o
    What model/brand it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    Just leave them connected to the three built-in switches. You should still be able to plug the 3-pin connectors into another fan controller without issue.
    I guess that would work, but the hassle that is cords would bugger me ever so slightly. Also, is it really advisable to run (essentially) two controllers for a single fan? I would assume that the built-in controller doesn't hinder the power to the fan, but there might still be some loss in current - right?

Anyway, I contacted SilverStone directly and they had this to say (took less than 12 hours to get a response, neat):
    Thank you very much for your request and interest in SilverStone.

To switch the three fans from their build in fan controllers to another fan controller, you would have to cut the connection between the fans and their respective controllers, this voiding the warranty. In this regard we cannot recommend to do so.

Hope this will be of your help!
    Essentially, it seems like the proper way to get rid of the built-in would be to solder them off at the root; i.e. at the fans, but that would void the warranty unless you can solder them back on without suspicion (it would most likely void the warranty on the fans, perhaps not on the case). I'll leave them untouched for now, but if the cords bother me when I do my cable routing they are most likely going away.

Anyway, some pictures why not?

The cable-mess is what I'm currently using. Core2duo along with an old 2XX card (I think it's a GTX 260, haven't bothered to check properly). It is noisy. The other picture shows my brand new FT02, thing is a beast.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-04-17 at 02:29 PM.

Has anyone head anything about the release date of Ivy. For a while I was sure it was hovering @the 28th of april. Now I am seeing 23rd popping up here and there.

Any truth the the updated release date?

Also Noteworthynerd; You have changed your sig from "coming soon" have you already got one??? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?
    Last edited by Rekindled; 2012-04-17 at 03:47 PM.
    CPU: i7 3930k@4.4 Mobo: Rampage IV X79 RAM: 32GB Ripjaw @ 1600Mhz GPU: EVGA 780ti SC SSD: 128GB M4

15+ Year Old Account
    Liking the case so far, Marest? The FT02 was one of the prettiest cases I got to build in, but one of the more difficult ones to wire as I felt like everything going to GPUs was blocking the fans
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    Liking the case so far, Marest? The FT02 was one of the prettiest cases I got to build in, but one of the more difficult ones to wire as I felt like everything going to GPUs was blocking the fans
    All in all, yes - very much. I wouldn't mind if it had been 1-2cm wider because routing cables will be... well, interesting. But apart from that I'm very pleased so far; the case looks absolutely amazing and I can't wait to put components into it. Will also be interesting to see how the 3x180mm AP181 fans perform as well as I've never seen SilverStone's "90 degree rotation" cooling solution in practice before.

I wasn't a fan of the Silverstone "horizontal" cases when I first saw them, but they're growing on me...

So, my monitor, displayport cable, push fans, and clip-on microphone came today. Still waiting on my Arctic (Cooling) thermal paste, watercooling parts, window kit and, of course, my CPU. I've decided: if Ivy Bridge isn't released/I'm not able to get one on Monday (the 23rd), I'm just gonna buy a SB chip (either the 2500K or 2600K, I dunno which).

I'm going to the computer hardware store in town on Friday to talk to the guy there, see if I can get any cheaper than buying online.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I guess that would work, but the hassle that is cords would bugger me ever so slightly. Also, is it really advisable to run (essentially) two controllers for a single fan? I would assume that the built-in controller doesn't hinder the power to the fan, but there might still be some loss in current - right?
    I didn't really notice any loss in RPM when I was still using my FT02. When I set my BIOS fan controls to off it would go all the way up to 1300RPM and 800 RPM in the other position.

The 90-degree cooling works alright for standard blower style video cards, but it causes problems with aftermarket GPU heatsinks with heatpipes that lead toward the PEG connectors. Those heatpipes end up facing down, a position that makes them completely useless. MSI's TwinFrozr heatsinks seem the least affected by this...Asus DirectCU stuff fairs much worse.

It's basically the best air-cooled case around otherwise, but it isn't silent. Both my P180B and current Bitfenix Shinobi XL are quieter because of the 180mm AP181s in the FT02. They have a slight motor whirr at low RPM, almost sounds like an EM buzz to me.
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2012-04-18 at 01:14 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to know if this RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233280

Is going to be the 8GB modules white LP Vengeance versions. >_>
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Argh! Release the i5 3450S/3550S already! My HTPC is missing only the CPU before being fully functional

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest - it's kind of hilarious seeing all of you throwing fits over IB not coming out quicker. XD
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    To be honest - it's kind of hilarious seeing all of you throwing fits over IB not coming out quicker. XD
    Tis pain

Now sweclockers said as a last note in an article that it's apparently only the NDA that is lifted on the 23'rd while they'll be released on the 29'th. PAIN!

http://translate.google.se/translate...ndra-kvartalet

Deleted
    Well, I was told my chip was going to ship on the 20th and arrive on the 23rd. Perhaps that was just a "preliminary" date after all...

Just need a confirmation, getting ready to order my white cable extensions, wanna make sure I'm ordering the right stuff...

24pin ATX = http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11...tl=g2c473s1209
    8-pin EPS (CPU power) = http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11...tl=g2c473s1231
    6-pin PCIe = http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11...tl=g2c473s1210

I went with the "ModRight" cables because FrozenCPU only had the 24pin ATX BitFenix extensions in stock. I'm also thinking about ordering some white SATA3 cables, but I don't think I need to worry about white SATA power cables.

Edit:

Hmm, PerformancePCs has the 6pin PCIe and 8pin EPS BitFenix cables in stock. I could order those from there and then the 24pin ATX cable from FrozenCPU, what do you guys think? Are the Alchemy cables significantly better than the ModRight?
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-04-18 at 03:00 PM.