Quote Originally Posted by carebear View Post
    I managed to overclock my U2713HM to 96hz on a GTX670. Saying that though I didn't notice much difference other than the actual FPS display showing up as 96 instead of just 60 with Vsync on.

This is playing GW2 and The Witcher. I went back to 60hz after the evening because I didn't notice the difference *shrug*
    It takes awhile to train your eyes. Same thing happened to me when I got my 120Hz monitor, I noticed a slight difference in the beginning after weeks of use I can't stand 60 fps anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    It takes awhile to train your eyes. Same thing happened to me when I got my 120Hz monitor, I noticed a slight difference in the beginning after weeks of use I can't stand 60 fps anymore.
    Same here. All I have to do is force my refresh rate down to 60hz, play for about ~10 seconds and then find myself saying "oh god, bring my 120hz back" in something like Crysis 2/3 or GW2.

But more importantly, if someone blows $700 on a monitor I find it a bit moot to say "I don't miss 120hz!" because 120hz monitors only cost in the range of $270-350. Said person is going to feel pretty shit if they buy a U2711HM and didn't consider it a huge upgrade. These are completely different products in completely different price categories lol.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-08-26 at 10:44 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Same here. All I have to do is force my refresh rate down to 60hz, play for about ~10 seconds and then find myself saying "oh god, bring my 120hz back" in something like Crysis 2/3 or GW2.

But more importantly, if someone blows $700 on a monitor I find it a bit moot to say "I don't miss 120hz!" because 120hz monitors only cost in the range of $270-350. Said person is going to feel pretty shit if they buy a U2711HM and didn't consider it a huge upgrade. These are completely different products in completely different price categories lol.
    Or just buy a binned 120Hz 1440p monitor (yamakasi things) :P

Because 120Hz asks time to get used to it and find the reasons why it's much more pleasing, you'll always have people like my bro's saying that 120Hz is a first class retarded upgrade. They don't even understand why my eyes are feeling tired when playing on their xbox >.< It's like a drug, you have to try it try it try it and you'll never want to go back.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sheesh.

I got a second job last week... and my new college semester started yesterday.

I feel like very soon I'll have the money for some crazy new GPU/other upgrade(s?)... but honestly, with how LITTLE I'll be at my computer, I have a feeling buying anything may be massively delayed.

I suppose we'll see! :O
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Or just buy a binned 120Hz 1440p monitor (yamakasi things) :P

Because 120Hz asks time to get used to it and find the reasons why it's much more pleasing, you'll always have people like my bro's saying that 120Hz is a first class retarded upgrade. They don't even understand why my eyes are feeling tired when playing on their xbox >.< It's like a drug, you have to try it try it try it and you'll never want to go back.
    I had my ASUS VG236 since Jan 26th of 2012, and yet here I sit back at 60hz. Different people are different.

Deleted
    120hz final step? Humans can't see more frames than that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fauier View Post
    Are your eyes digital?
    First of all, I'd assume it differs from people to people, but I'm fairly sure I would be able to tell the difference between 120 Hz and 600 Hz, for instance. Not that any monitors of the latter exist. I probably wouldn't be able to say "That monitor there is exactly 600 and that is 120", but I would probably be able to tell which one was higher and which lower.

In general, there is no definite line where you can't perceive the difference.
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fauier View Post
    In a blind test I don't think it would be possible for someone to tell the difference between 120hz and say...300hz. It's hard to day. Both would simply feel exceptionally smooth and responsive if you booted-up Counter Strike 1.6 (or any game which you can run at absurd framerates).
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

If you spent about a week playing at 300Hz and then switched blindly to 120Hz; then you'd stand a chance of noticing the difference. You also notice the difference in frame rates in particular when panning quickly.

While I don't think I'd actively notice a difference playing a much higher refresh rate, I do imagine I'd notice the difference after returning to the lower one.

There are a number of times when you don't perceive the difference until you take away the good stuff. You can look at how people talk about graphics as if there haven't been improvements, but tell them to play a few hours of Skyrim, install the high-texture DLC for Skyrim, play a few hours more, and then remove it. Or tell them to increase the uGridsToLoad and promptly take it away a few hours later.

A lot of the things we see now are things we didn't catch being added, but will certainly notice if go away.

10+ Year Old Account
    On another subject. I think haswell's on-die VRM is brilliant ><. The voltage is so precise, undervolting is a easier to do. Because you don't have to worry about LLC or Vdroop, you can just set a voltage, and test for stability. Right now i'm at like 0.988v (stockspeeds) during prime95. Temperatures now down to lower 60's.

If anything, the only thing i can really complain about is the cheap TIM they used. Honestly, i don't understand the hate towards Haswell, and reviewsites telling people to buy Ivy because it clocks better.

I'm considering to replace the H60 though. Noise level is significantly higher than my Dark Rock C1.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2013-08-28 at 02:27 PM.

Their TIM is quite high quality, actually. It's the glue/adhesive that is the problem; It creates a gap where the solder would be just next to it. Remove the adhesive, you get closer contact with IHS and die.
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah i'm going to delid it probably next holiday.

- - - Updated - - -

Hm, board doesn't seem to want to go lower than 0.968V. I can set the value, but nothing changes.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    What's this about the Haswell adhesive, could someone elaborate for me?

I'm thinking about upgrading from Sandy to Haswell in the next month after I sell this here tower.

10+ Year Old Account
    The adhesive that glues the IHS to the CPU PCB.
    http://www.firegoon.com/u/fe5mny.jpg

Deleted
    Alright my phone got fixed yet i'm still not pleased.
    Backcover is now letting go on the bottom instead of the top. (when i peel 2mm i can see the internals)
    So far my plan is to return to the store tommorow demand refund of the repair costs + a new identical device.
    Anyone got any advice/hints/similar horror phone repair stories?
    phone in question being a xperia Z.

So for the past week or so I've been getting seemingly random and constant disconnects on my laptop wireless. I'm positive it's not on my end, and I have no access to the router or any other hardware inbetween. My question is for you network guys, is this something a router/network hardware is capable of doing? because this is really annoying and borderline unusable. I also at times have to attempt to re-connect multiple times(sometimes upto 10-20 times) before it lets me on and then promptly disconnects me at a random interval.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    @Shroudster, depends on the waranty and the repairdescription.

@Evil Inside, Can you elaborate a bit on these points?
    *List of hardware (router, modem, laptop)
    *Home situation (how is it connected)
    *Elaborated problem description, because i'm not sure what is actually going wrong. Disconnected from what.

The situation is as follows: I'm currently on holiday in europe, basically I am loaning the internet from a downstairs neighbour(he runs a public network that you can pay to use). My laptop is an Acer Aspire E1 571G, I have no idea about the router or modem because those are essentially out of my control. And I'm using WiFi.. As for getting disconnected, I'm talking about the WiFi network, basically I connect to this network and at a seemingly random interval the connection would drop out and when I'd attempt to reconnect it at times takes 10 or more attempts to successfully connect and at other times it connects on the first go.

Edit: In the process of writing this post the connection has dropped 2 times already.
    Last edited by Evil Inside; 2013-08-28 at 05:42 PM.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say poor connection. Apart from making him get a decent router (which he should have TBH if he's receiving payment), you cannot do much.