The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not a fresh install, no. BIOS seems to be updated but I'll be looking again in a bit.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Always do a fresh install when changing major hardware.
    And WEI is pointless /shrug

- - - Updated - - -

I ran it for funsies.
    Memory: 8.5
    CPU: 8.5
    -CPUSubAggScore: 8.4
    -VideoEncodeScore: 8.6
    GraphicsScore: 8.5
    -Dx9SubScore: 8.5
    -Dx10SubScore: 0
    -GamingScore: 8.5
    DiskScore: 8.15

10+ Year Old Account
    Welp. I decided the time was now. Just got a crucial mx100 512gb and Windows 8.1 pro.

Brb

- - - Updated - - -

Welp. Downloaded 3DMark on Steam... still failing to detect my hardware properly, but HOLY SHIT it ran SO MUCH BETTER. That was insane.

Cinebench shows my CPU as having worse single core performance than both the i7-4770 and i7-3930K. =S That seems... odd. Granted I've not overclocked it at all, but it was up against non-overclocked results as well. Maybe faster RAM would affect the result, not sure. 2133MHz DDR4 would be faster than most DDR3 if I understand it correctly. >_>

I don't know though, I'm still happy with this system, the benefits and additions of X99 over P67 are uncountable... I've got SATA 6 for DAYS, so lol ALL THE SSDs.

Anywho, anyone who wants me to try testing out some hardware, link me it and I'll see if I have any use, (i.e. maybe a good PCI-E/m.2 SSD?) and buy it. Micro Center is pretty good about returns, so depending on how it is, I wouldn't mind buying for testing and reviewing purposes.

ASUS X99-Deluxe is beast.
    i7-5820K is a nice improvement from the i5-2500K.
    DDR4 memory runs cooler than I expected. No heatsinks necessary at 2133MHz!
    "A flower.

All graphs from Sweclockers
    Cinebench, one thread

Cinebench, one thread all CPUs at 2.8 GHz

- - - Updated - - -

RAM-tests
    Read

Write

Copy

- - - Updated - - -

So DDR4 would show a real improvement at writing, otherwise +/- 0, likely new memory controller

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I assume things are just new still. I'm sure more improvements will be ironed out down the road. Still, for stock speeds, I'm pretty pleased.

- - - Updated - - -

In BIOS it says my BIOS version is 0409, right? Okay.

Go to ASUS website:

There's only two BIOS versions, one is like 0701 and one is 0505... one is a beta more or less and one is the first release. O_o

So I'm like, is 0409 SUPER old or SUPER new? >_>
    "A flower.

It's the one from factory, and the one(s) on the website is newer. The one you have pre-date both.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    It's the one from factory, and the one(s) on the website is newer. The one you have pre-date both.
    That could help :O.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account

How I feel when my 24 hour prime95 stable OC fails during Diablo 3.
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2014-09-02 at 02:40 AM.

Things needs to be game-stable, as well!

I noticed this with Haswell as opposed to Lynnfield. Despite being rock solid for 48 or 72 hours with Prime, it would fail having virtually no load at times. Made stability testing such a hassle-well. I think I overvolted it a fair bit at the end, going "sod it".

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, stability under load is not the same thing as long-term stability under no load. Stupid, I know.

Anywho, so I come home from my buddy's house to find my computer has restarted, it's on the "please insert bootable media and press a key blah blah" screen... oh good. I hit keys, nothing happens. I reboot, you know what I get for a BIOS?

Yes, that says 20130101 Monday. Yes that says N/A for voltages and temperatures. Yes my mouse and keyboard were not responding.

Then I do a hard power off, give it a few, power back on, first go to BIOS, BIOS looks good, so I exit, goes to Windows. The weirdest shit starts happening, it's like someone else is clicking my mouse, whether left or right clicking all over at random, a lot. Unplugging and 3 ports later, it is working flawlessly. Uhhhhhhhmmmm...

Still, of course Event Viewer continues to be useless as shit and doesn't tell me WHY the computer reset in the first place... and then failed to find the bootable drive. Sweet.
    "A flower.

Clear CMOS? -OR- and this is highly likely, you travelled a year back in time.

The weirdest shit starts happening, it's like someone else is clicking my mouse, whether left or right clicking all over at random, a lot. Unplugging and 3 ports later, it is working flawlessly. Uhhhhhhhmmmm...
    You haven't got your input devices plugged in to USB 3.0 ports, have you? They can be quite ... finicky about where you plug them in. Especially if you have them plugged in to a USB port that is run by a third-party chipset.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    You haven't got your input devices plugged in to USB 3.0 ports, have you? They can be quite ... finicky about where you plug them in. Especially if you have them plugged in to a USB port that is run by a third-party chipset.
    Great point. Use the (often top-assigned) 2.0 ports for compatibility issues.
    EDIT for yours, its below your lower ethernet port

10+ Year Old Account
    They're plugged into the case USB 3.0 ports for now.

This is lovely, I download and extract the updated BIOS files from the ASUS downloads and support section on their website and follow the instructions in my MB manual to a t.

"That is not a correct BIOS!" or something to that effect.

Why does shit never work properly for me? -.- Let me guess, this system is going to be unstable for its first 2 years for no apparent reason.
    "A flower.

They're plugged into the case USB 3.0 ports for now.
    Yeah, you'll want to swap to USB 2.0 ports for those input devices. Shame that I've seen a couple of X99 boards with only USB 3.0 and no PS/2 port.

Why does shit never work properly for me? -.- Let me guess, this system is going to be unstable for its first 2 years for no apparent reason.
    You know what P67 was like in the beginning with those non-functioning SATA 3 ports, don't you? That's why I never buy into a platform in its first year.

I think it was the 3.0 Gbps ones, not the sata 3 ones being affected.
    And most did offer a free swap.
    But I agree with BL, put them in a 2.0 and stop handing me rum, it's 8am.

Don't worry, BIOS thingies is fixable, I can help you work it out someday if you'd like and haven't had it fixed by then

10+ Year Old Account
    I had my P67 board after the B3 Revision for the SATA II ports, so that was fine. It was other things that weren't working. Like a faulty Seagate 1TB drive literally out of the box. Random shut downs have plagued me, though I've been without them for about a year now.

Apparently, tetris, a BIOS update utility was supposed to be on the motherboard drivers install disk, that's a funny one. There's no such thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind. Bios updated. Good night!

- - - Updated - - -

The crucial mx100 512gb is failing this morning to boot up windows but instead of the system telling me anything, it just keeps going to bios....
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I had my P67 board after the B3 Revision for the SATA II ports, so that was fine. It was other things that weren't working. Like a faulty Seagate 1TB drive literally out of the box. Random shut downs have plagued me, though I've been without them for about a year now.

Apparently, tetris, a BIOS update utility was supposed to be on the motherboard drivers install disk, that's a funny one. There's no such thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind. Bios updated. Good night!

- - - Updated - - -

The crucial mx100 512gb is failing this morning to boot up windows but instead of the system telling me anything, it just keeps going to bios....
    I don't remember what I did that caused that, but it took me hours to figure out. Good luck. o7

Edit: I'll drive up there and fix it for $. :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Ever since my first build I've fixed them myself with forum input. I've not spent a dime to have anyone do anything. I'll figure it out, sooner or later. Just don't have as much free time anymore. 55 hour 7 day work week and all... >_<

- - - Updated - - -

Alright. I can rule out the SATA cable and power cable. Booted up into my old Windows 7 installation no problem from the m4 128GB. Go to My Computer, voila, there's the MX100, initiated with Windows files in it. I'm able to copy files to it and copy files from it. Okay. So it... works.

So why isn't it booting up? Why isn't it going? We may never know.

Thinking about returning it/exchanging for another. The m4 is old and has a perfectly good Windows 7 install on it, so I could keep it for the old computer parts and maybe move all that to my bedroom. Maybe I'll just exchange the mx100 for a second m500 240GB...

- - - Updated - - -

Alright...

I went ahead and reinstalled Windows 8.1 on the MX100...

Now it's all working just fine.

God this is weird.
    "A flower.

Are you having two separate windows installs at the same time, did you unplug one of them, did you change boot order et c.?
    &nbsp;