Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Cloud! /10chars
    I take away your internet connection for 2 days because a lightning bolt hit the box in the street. Where's your cloud now?

I built my own personal cloud. I only have 2TB of storage so far - I have been told I need to pay more to get more. Geeze.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I built my own personal cloud. I only have 2TB of storage so far - I have been told I need to pay more to get more. Geeze.
    The cheek of them!

Speaking of disasters and speaking to anyone and no one:

Off-site backups, man! Always. There will be an earthquake or random "oh, we accidentally dug up the entire power grid"

10+ Year Old Account
    Got a NAS at home taking care of backup/network storage, slim chance anything will destroy both the data on that and on my PC.
    Although in hindsight I should've gone with bigger drives because my 4TB setup is almost finished...next step will be probably a 4-bay NAS with a 16TB setup (because fuck it, why not) although it will cost a small fortune so I'm saving up now :P

Also I personally use Keepass for home and work.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

12, surely? Gotta get that RAID5!

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Ew, RAID5...
    red panda red panda red panda!

15+ Year Old Account
    So I finally figured out why my corsair 140 AF's are so loud. It's the intake fans that have to pull air trough the arc midi filters that make this "swoosh" sound. Rear fans that are on exhaust are otherwise nearly silent. Any idea if there would be change in acoustics if I swapped the intakes to Corsair 140 SP's (static pressure)?
    Last edited by Ghâzh; 2014-09-23 at 05:31 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well my ip is laying down fiber optic cables, so yeah! But it does confuse me, I have adsl so I am a bit confused, I thought adsl uses copper telephone lines? Or do some adsl ips use optic fiber cables?
    Last edited by apepi; 2014-09-23 at 11:03 PM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Well my ip is laying down fiber optic cables, so yeah! But it does confuse me, I have adsl so I am a bit confused, I thought adsl uses copper telephone lines? Or do some adsl ips use optic fiber cables?
    ADSL and fiber use completely different data transmission techniques. You may still be using your copper telephone line for regular calling, but internet will come over a separate fiber/ethernet cable (if your area has that option).

Hell, there are some places using IP phones + internet over fiber/ethernet infrastructure, so basically telephone lines are completely done away with.

Perhaps your ISP is just laying fiber to the exchange. Or even better, the roadside cabinets. Or best case scenario, fiber to each house? That would be pretty crazy.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2014-09-23 at 11:33 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    ADSL and fiber use completely different data transmission techniques. You may still be using your copper telephone line for regular calling, but internet will come over a separate fiber/ethernet cable (if your area has that option).

Hell, there are some places using IP phones + internet over fiber/ethernet infrastructure, so basically telephone lines are completely done away with.

Perhaps your ISP is just laying fiber to the exchange. Or even better, the roadside cabinets. Or best case scenario, fiber to each house? That would be pretty crazy.
    No, it seems to me like it is adsl(unless they tell us we need a different modem), I think they are doing roadside cabinets, seems like the are slowly making their way through my small town. Wonder if it will affect my speed any.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    What speed is your current ADSL? It's limit is usually around ~10-15 mbit, VDSL can improve that to 25-50mbit (many factors). If the connection from the cabinet to exchange was the bottleneck then you could see an noticeable improvement in speeds, but in the end your phone cable will be the final limiting factor :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    What speed is your current ADSL? It's limit is usually around ~10-15 mbit, VDSL can improve that to 25-50mbit (many factors). If the connection from the cabinet to exchange was the bottleneck then you could see an noticeable improvement in speeds, but in the end your phone cable will be the final limiting factor :P
    It is just about 10 Mbits, ill just have to wait and see, though I do feel it might just be a waste if they are using the cable on adsl :/.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cisco TAC asked me to run "show tech" command on a fully populated production 6500 switch. I hope I never have to do that again...my mouse scrollwheel is very angry at me

If someone asked me to run that command on a Nexus switch I would probably strangle a kitten.

(for those who have no clue what I'm on about, it basically involved copying like 100 pages of text a few lines at a time).

- - - Updated - - -

Good lord, why the fuck is Corsair doing this?

Last edited by Xuvial; 2014-09-25 at 03:26 AM.

...No. Bad Corsair. Bad.

new logo looks like a tramp stamp...

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind the new Corsair logo. :<

15+ Year Old Account
    New goodies.

Thanks to Deltrus for inspiring me to do it as well.

Just don't leave stuff on it without changing the data for a few months, or the performance will nose-dive

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Why do people still get the EVO drives when MX100 drives exist?
    red panda red panda red panda!