10+ Year Old Account
    Show us the abomination.

Does it matter really what with I will upgrade my Asus ROG-G751J memory, other that SODIMM DDR3?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veivi View Post
    Does it matter really what with I will upgrade my Asus ROG-G751J memory, other that SODIMM DDR3?
    Uh, yes. Voltage requirements/limits need to be respected as well as CAS latency and speed.

https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ASUS_...lpDesk_Manual/

Find the manual that best fits your needs and search for their certified RAM list.

You can actually have problems with booting and stuff if you willy nilly toss whatever RAM in, even when it seems to fit the bill perfectly, sometimes there's one nit picky thing that messes it up.

(Which is why my Minecraft server/previous gaming computer requires me to press the mem OK! button every time I boot it...) -.-
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

TL;DR - Laptop motherboards can be finnicky as balls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    He was so scared during the interview my co-worker was lobbing a few softball questions like "What's DNS? What kind of records might be in there?" "What kind of configuration or information do you get out of DHCP?". He was squeezing the chair like he was being electrocuted. When he finally left I could see his finger-nail prints pressed into the arm of the chair.
    Leaving finger-nail prints at the arm of the chair seems a little extreme, I don't know if I'd ever get to this point. But as someone who will (hopefully) graduate at Electrical engineering turning 22, I can see myself being extremely nervous at first real job interviews...

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I think they've done it this time.

10+ Year Old Account
    That was some extremely dramatic music for what is, essentially, a laptop. With some features.

But seriously folks, this is what we're playing dramatic music now for? XD
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    That was some extremely dramatic music for what is, essentially, a laptop. With some features.

But seriously folks, this is what we're playing dramatic music now for? XD
    Well, it has the CPU/stuff/part of battery at the top, and the nvidia GPU/more battery at the bottom half.
    Skylake's iGPU can handle the graphics when you detach it and this way you can design the cooling mostly for one component at each half, which should decrease throttling a lot if compared to the current ultrabooks.

But it doesn't really matter, we were waiting for a Surface laptop since the first Surface. Epic music was needed =p

Surface Pro 4 video has Thunderstruck playing at the background, MS has good taste in music.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should make a new video for my new desk, FIRST FROM IKEA and... use Lord of the Rings or Two Steps From Hell music.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should make a new video for my new desk, FIRST FROM IKEA and... use Lord of the Rings or Two Steps From Hell music.
    10/10. 10char

10+ Year Old Account
    Out of nowhere I cannot get Roller Coaster Tycoon: Deluxe to launch and stay on the screen without minimizing to the tray for the life of me!

Trying all the fucking compatibility settings which I've used and had work.

Frankly I think it's partially my 21:9 monitor, but also just newer Windows and ancient game. Sigh.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Out of nowhere I cannot get Roller Coaster Tycoon: Deluxe to launch and stay on the screen without minimizing to the tray for the life of me!

Trying all the fucking compatibility settings which I've used and had work.

Frankly I think it's partially my 21:9 monitor, but also just newer Windows and ancient game. Sigh.
    If it's a secuROM DRM game (or something like this), MS dropped support. If it isn't then I don't know

10+ Year Old Account
    From GOG.com
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... sorta fixed the issue. So when I want to play RCT, I'll just set my screen resolution manually to 1024x768, (I believe that's what the game's highest was) and then it opens up no problem. I think the game would try to tell the computer to switch to that resolution, didn't always work, so the computer kept saying NO, 3440x1440!

So, manual powerz win!
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every year someone writes about how Samsung is bad to the open-source community and every year you think about not buying things from them...

And then reality hits, like aways:

It was the same thing when I bought my S3 or my Note 4, there weren't anything close to them from the competition =(

Their software division might be horrible, but they know how to make hardware.

Same story for almost any other division, when they want to show off they just do. From TVs to SSDs, whatever Samsung is making they want to have the best flagship.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2015-10-13 at 09:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Product wise I don't really care about just hardware. It's a combination of hardware, software and battery life.

That said, I'm surprised Apple just made the most absurdly cost effective iMac for what Display it has. A 4096x2304 with DCI-P3 color gamut (a wide gamut but different color space than Adobe RGB).
    Wide gamut monitors at that resolution will ring you up $3k (NEC PA322UHD) or $5k (Eizo CG318-4K). NEC one mainly only has Adobe RGB coverage while Eizo's has better coverage for both DCI-P3 and Adobe RGB. Both being true 10bit color channels with 14bit/16bit on board 3D LUT.

There is however that Apple's does not have an onboard 3D LUT (14bit/16bit) or able to display are 10bit due to the Intel integrated graphics. I don't know about the 5120x2880 model since it does have an AMD GPU which is capable of delivering 10bit color per channel even on the non professional cards. Which is a bit of a shame since a lot of movies do use 10bit color channel.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2015-10-13 at 05:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is this new iMac using? I think I read something about it today earlier at The Verge, is it a GB-r display?

And yes, they apparently start with the M380 which is pretty good for something mounted at the back of a monitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    In order for it to be wide gamut it has to use a wide gamut backlight. That means CCFL, GB-r, RB, or WLED + Qdot for backlight. Qdot is the cheapest of all and CCFL is pretty much outdated. My guess is GB-r or RB but it is possible it uses Qdot, but I haven't heard any news outside of some Philips monitor that uses Qdot.

Battery life, external storage (SD), water/dust and "small" footprint is all I care about.

It's funny saying "small" since way back when I had my last Samsung phone, the Galaxy SII, it was waay bigger than anything on the market and my friends thought it looked ridiculous and thought I'd fly away if caught in a breeze.
    It also had the biggest battery, the best screen and most powerful hardware. Knowing I'd be stuck with a phone for 2~years I guessed I'd want something that would be okay after a year rather something that was passable right there and then.
    That is the only point in buying what has the best hardware.
    Back then, there was a difference in hardware, this difference is mostly erased now. Samsung doesn't have better hardware than their competition now.
    They are the only ones using OLED on a wide front though, which is definitely a point in their favour.
    Otherwise, they're committing the same cardinal sins as everyone else (and even leading the push) - Bigger phones, thinner phones, smaller batteries.

Battery life is king. Performance? Pah. My Z3 Compact will not start to feel sluggish for a while yet. Nexus 4 is still chugging along happily performance-wise. Battery, though? Not so much, it heats up like mad, no matter how much downclocking and downvolting I've done, no matter the software optimisations, it still barely gets 5 hours SoT.
    I feel my Z3c will fare better there, at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I don't think the "no removable battery and no SD-card slot" move makes any sense at the Note series for Samsung. Those devices are supposed to have productivity and power-users on focus. Their Active line is still bulky though, I think the S6 edge active has a 3500 mAh battery.

Edit: fixed.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2015-10-14 at 01:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I returned my S6 Edge.

I now have the S6.

I'm very pleased so far. Frankly, what I noticed with previous phones:

1) Never changed the battery out.
    2) Never changed the SD card out for another one to get more storage on the fly.

I will say, the Edge was silly-stupid.
    "A flower.