Oof.

My ticket is worth 20 demerit points, here in Illinois. x_x
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Does anyone know when new latest intel cpus will be coming out this year?? :S

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Oof.

My ticket is worth 20 demerit points, here in Illinois. x_x
    How many can you get before they start to take away your license?

Quote Originally Posted by coolio091 View Post
    Does anyone know when new latest intel cpus will be coming out this year?? :S
    Around Q3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    How many can you get before they start to take away your license?
    Seems like Illinois works by numbers of violation per time period (3 per year) for revoking / suspension and the points are used as severity for record and insurance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hear US drivers are all horrible, and the fact that somehow you can get a driver's license there without knowing how to drive a manual car is actually concerning...

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    I hear US drivers are all horrible, and the fact that somehow you can get a driver's license there without knowing how to drive a manual car is actually concerning...
    If an American comes to Germany they are only allowed to drive on their American license for 3 months, then they need to take a German driving course (14 90 minute theory classes, 40 hours of practical lessons including motorway and nighttime driving, first aid course, eye-sight test and a theory and practical test). Costs about 1400 euro.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Seems like Illinois works by numbers of violation per time period (3 per year) for revoking / suspension and the points are used as severity for record and insurance.
    If an American comes to Germany they are only allowed to drive on their American license for 3 months, then they need to take a German driving course (14 90 minute theory classes, 40 hours of practical lessons including motorway and nighttime driving, first aid course, eye-sight test and a theory and practical test). Costs about 1400 euro.
    Manual is just old tech, yo. They're being phased out. Most dealerships have almost all automatic cars available for sale, not manual. All y'all Europeanz don' be knowin' what iz like to NEED a car, yo.

Funny thing, when my dad was in Wales for nearly 6 months straight (he came home every 3 weeks for 1 week and then would go back and rinse+repeat) he didn't have to take any lessons, but yeah, I know, different country, different rules, but Wales is... was? Sort of still is, part of Europe.

Anyways...
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Main reason for the less stringent testing is the US really has no good mass transport and making it already more prohibitively more expensive than it already is, especially for student / graduates and whatever that fits in the category of need job have no money. It'll just exacerbate being poor is expensive even more than it already is in the US.

As for manual, I don't really see why it should matter. CVT is more efficient compared to manual or traditional automatic. Most automatics are using CVT now anyways (I basically only checked Honda, :P, so this may not be the case for all manufacturers, so if this isn't true, shush). Plus with the advent of electric cars either by battery or by hydrogen, it becomes even more pointless because there are no gears unless you want them to break. Basically manual is going to die for the sake of more efficient or environmental friendly cars. It's a great advertising point and something most people really agree with anyways. Whether it's due to less refuel, gas prices or just being an environment nerd, there's almost no point in advocating for manual cars other than the feel of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Main reason for the less stringent testing is the US really has no good mass transport and making it already more prohibitively more expensive than it already is, especially for student / graduates and whatever that fits in the category of need job have no money. It'll just exacerbate being poor is expensive even more than it already is in the US.

As for manual, I don't really see why it should matter. CVT is more efficient compared to manual or traditional automatic. Most automatics are using CVT now anyways (I basically only checked Honda, :P, so this may not be the case for all manufacturers, so if this isn't true, shush). Plus with the advent of electric cars either by battery or by hydrogen, it becomes even more pointless because there are no gears unless you want them to break. Basically manual is going to die for the sake of more efficient or environmental friendly cars. It's a great advertising point and something most people really agree with anyways. Whether it's due to less refuel, gas prices or just being an environment nerd, there's almost no point in advocating for manual cars other than the feel of it.
    Some of this I already knew, some was news to me. Either way, I agree with all of it.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    This kid I begrudgingly photographed with his soon-to-be wife yesterday, (he can thank his sister for getting me to do it at all) was talking as if $30-40k cars can be considered real sports cars. Like a Dodge Challenger. lel

Idk, call me crazy, but to me a good, decent sports car, is going to have more power and should absolutely cost more than $33k.
    "A flower.

This kid I begrudgingly photographed with his soon-to-be wife yesterday, (he can thank his sister for getting me to do it at all) was talking as if $30-40k cars can be considered real sports cars. Like a Dodge Challenger. lel

Idk, call me crazy, but to me a good, decent sports car, is going to have more power and should absolutely cost more than $33k.
    "Sports cars" have two doors, rear wheel drive. I'd count an MX-5 as a sports car and that isn't more than 30 grand.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Sports cars" have two doors, rear wheel drive. I'd count an MX-5 as a sports car and that isn't more than 30 grand.
    Dumb.

Who wants to hear how court went? -.-
    "A flower.

Dumb.

Who wants to hear how court went? -.-
    Sure, go ahead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically, the judge told me how the ticket is actually not court supervision OR traffic school allowable, and if I plead guilty, it's a straight $300~ fine + $250~ court fees. Conviction on my record, unable to be removed. I would not be able to Lyft drive anymore.

Gave me the option to plead guilty or not and go to trial, and then she offered me to take a month to think about it, since I didn't know literally any of this shit before. I'm obviously taking the month. What a nice lady.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    What's the ticket for? that seems kind of substantial.
    Failure to yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk in a school zone.

They were little kids (I mean LITTLE) trying to cross a damned 4-lane road with a separator, without a crossing guard! I know I failed, but frankly, the village should have a larger Stop sign for this, and maybe add a blinking light. It's brand new there and for decades, people have been driving through there, no stopping needed, unless a crossing guard was helping people across.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Manual is more about being fun and having a brief understanding of how you car works than it is about being more efficient or straight better. It'll probably die or survive as a niche market for car lovers though. In any case, ignoring the US, the rest of the world still mainly drive manuals. And it's not exactly just a matter of wealth, there are a bunch of relatively expensive cars that are still manual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Manual is more about being fun and having a brief understanding of how you car works than it is about being more efficient or straight better. It'll probably die or survive as a niche market for car lovers though. In any case, ignoring the US, the rest of the world still mainly drive manuals. And it's not exactly just a matter of wealth, there are a bunch of relatively expensive cars that are still manual.
    Going to ask my dad about this, he travels the world but he has a bad knee, so he can't really drive manual, even though he wants to.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going to ask my dad about this, he travels the world but he has a bad knee, so he can't really drive manual, even though he wants to.
    It's not like there aren't automatic cars everywhere, it's just that worldwide ~80% of them are manual. But it has been a few years since I last read anything with numbers on this, although it would be hard to believe the percentage changed that much. The only thing that would make it change in a significant way is the adoption of electric cars, which are all "automatic" from the driver's perspective, but those have an incredibly hard time anywhere but in a few countries.

I don't like the idea of electrical cars. Although, that's not where that begins; I don't like the wide usage of computers and electronics in cars.
    To me, the little convenience they get is not worth the inconvenience in having so many points of possible failure. Compared to, say, an entirely mechanical car. Yes, things can still break, but those same things plus a thousand other things can break in a more computerised car. I would have one as a tool, so I wouldn't be want to have to be overly super delicate with it (but of course not reckless).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I don't like the idea of electrical cars. Although, that's not where that begins; I don't like the wide usage of computers and electronics in cars.
    To me, the little convenience they get is not worth the inconvenience in having so many points of possible failure. Compared to, say, an entirely mechanical car. Yes, things can still break, but those same things plus a thousand other things can break in a more computerised car. I would have one as a tool, so I wouldn't be want to have to be overly super delicate with it (but of course not reckless).
    Kind of weird to say since electric engines actually have less moving parts and failure points than a combustion engine. No gears, no spark plugs, no transmission, less oil (no need for constant oil change since it doesn't really degrade), less heat build up, cylinders etc. Basically an electric engine has a handful of moving parts and failure points where as a combustion one has a truck load of it.
    Only problem arises is battery waste / replacement in about 100k miles and hydrogen cells do not have that particular issue. Has a production issue atm, but that's a bit different.