Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    I turn mine off when I won't be using it for a while, hibernation isn't great for SSDs (small storage space + lots of unnecessary writes = bad). If you have a mechanical drive however, it is fine.
    Wow, I never knew it could be potentially bad for SSD's. Well i guess its a good thing I don't have one then.

I've personally always turned off the computer if I'm going to throttle it down to near no activity. Mostly because hibernation and sleep, etc, have all been functionality that to me seems horribly redundant.

But meh, I'm a weirdo.

I just leave my computer on all the time.
    Should probably start turning it off to save a few bucks a month on electricity (and you know be less wasteful, save planet, etc)

Drunken, is your sig a typo? Or are you really running the 2500K at stock speed with a NH-D14?

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Drunken, is your sig a typo? Or are you really running the 2500K at stock speed with a NH-D14?
    It wasn't a typo. I never got around to overclocking it (again). I had to clear CMOS so often for a variety of small reasons that I never got around to actually overclocking it again.

Ah, makes sense... I can't believe how many different things can be solved by clearing the CMOS. I was at LAN party over the weekend, and a friend's computer wouldn't recognize his main drive. I reset the CMOS and it booted right up, definitely turning into one of my "go to" computer repairs. =P

That said, I think there are going to be fewer changes going forward. The only real jump that makes sense is possibly Ivy Bridge if the new chipset features are nearly as functional as they're claimed to be.

So as long as the computer doesn't break on me or generally misbehave, I think this is gonna be it.

What are the differences between a 2500K and a 2550K, and between the 2600K and the 2700K?

The 2550K is a gimped 2500K, if I recall correctly. It doesn't offer graphics support or something like that.

The 2700K is slightly faster, and that's it I believe.

For gaming, the 2500K is more than enough.

The 2550k is indeed a 2500k without the graphics support. As for the i7s, it's merely a matter of binning. If you're going for the highest overclocks available the 2700k is your goto.

Beyond that, they're all the same hardware generally speaking. Just slight quality differences, since you can't produce 100% the same result over and over when you're making things that tiny.

So I'm going to give Windows 8 consumer preview a try after reading Synthaxx's first impressions thread
    I highly doubt I will ever make the switch to Win8 for my PC since I find it a bit unnecessary.
    One thing I do like about it after Seeing Win8 videos of the device on tablets, it looks plain cool on the device imo! I was thinking of buying an Ipad, but after seeing this it's made me want a Windows 8 tablet instead x)

Daily rant:

So many cases with windows have gone for the "2 inches of perspex surrounding a semi-transparent 18-20 cm fan mount that only allows you to see the hard drive cages and the top of the cpu heatsink" window. Who in their right mind designs a case thinking "I know what we'll do, let's put in a window that shows off the bit of the build that pretty much looks the same in every computer ever built and obscures the interesting stuff like the graphics cards and the motherboard"? I mean, what is the point?

Background: I'm in the market looking for a large midi tower or a big tower with a window that will be able to fit a 2 or 3x120 rad in the roof, preferably push-pull, preferably under 200 euros. So far, I've found the Switch 810. Any other ideas? Given my ineptitude at building anything, taking a saw to the side of a case and making my own window is out of the question.

The 800D should fit a 360 rad in the roof I believe. As for push-pull I would go ahead and say that the benefit of doing that is very limited. Xigmatek Elysium is another option, but it's really too ridiculously huge imo.

EDIT: I think the Xigmatek Elysium has that annoying "WELP LET'S STICK A HUGE FAN ON THE SIDE" symptom too...

Yeah it does. Acrylic refracts light so much that putting a load of holes in it just makes it opaque. I had looked at the Elysium, but I couldn't reconcile myself with that window, plus the fact that the cable management gromets are about 2-3 inches from the connectors on a normal ATX motherboard (the case being designed with those huge two-CPU server boards in mind).

Deleted
    Am I the only one who just doesn't get why you'd want a window on your case?

From a practical standpoint, as far as I know cases with windows don't generally have any special measures in place to deal with electromagnetic interference. Doesn't this bother those of you with these cases?

The house I am living in has outside walls made of foot thick reinforced concrete and cinderblocks (totally normal in Germany). Electromagnetic interference is one of the least of my worries. Come to think about it, where would EM interference come from? Even if you had a mobile phone mast on your roof I can't imagine it being strong enough to affect your hardware.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    The house I am living in has outside walls made of foot thick reinforced concrete and cinderblocks (totally normal in Germany). Electromagnetic interference is one of the least of my worries. Come to think about it, where would EM interference come from? Even if you had a mobile phone mast on your roof I can't imagine it being strong enough to affect your hardware.
    From your computer perhaps?

Or the other way around, how about your microwave? your TV? your stereo? another computer?

I have my mobile (with WiFi on all the time), my monitor and my laptop on the same desk quite close to another, no issues. While the Microwave is powerful to disrupt Wifi reception in the kitchen when it is switched on, this is pretty much restricted to a couple of meters around it, and there is 18" of concrete, plaster and floor covering between my computer and the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by mludd View Post
    Am I the only one who just doesn't get why you'd want a window on your case?

From a practical standpoint, as far as I know cases with windows don't generally have any special measures in place to deal with electromagnetic interference. Doesn't this bother those of you with these cases?
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. This is really, really old shit. Electromagnetic interference is extremely limited in your everyday household, and you really need something special going on imo for it to be a concern.

As for why you'd want windowed cases... well, some people actually like to make their computer their lil' artpiece. Now, it's not so much a matter of showing off as much as rewarding yourself with something you enjoy. Though I would love to bring my machine to a LAN and such and show off. :B
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2012-03-14 at 02:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So my second WD Caviar Black decided to die yesterday (raid0), leading to the death of all of my games (1TB of Steam games) and music =(
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory