Deleted
    why would they make a 6Gb version if there's a titan already?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    why would they make a 6Gb version if there's a titan already?
    Do remember Titan also has more cores.

And why? I don't know, they've only done it with like... every other GPU like, ever.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I think they said they wanted to make the titan for high resolutions and GTX 780 for 1080p120Hz.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I think they said they wanted to make the titan for high resolutions and GTX 780 for 1080p120Hz.
    The whole "Titan for high resolutions" has never made any sense. Ever. Even one of the most established OCN'ers (he's running 3960X + SLI Titans) admitted that he simply doesn't foresee any use for his 6GB vRAM because at no point has it ever translated into performance, and in retrospect he said he would've gone for two 780's.
    Case in point: GTX690 destroying Titan in virtually every bench even at 5760x1080 and 2560x1440. If the 2GB ever stuttered, then a pair of 7970's pretty much seal the deal with any possible vRAM issues. Titan has 6GB for no reason whatsoever other than "because it can" and to help offer some kind of justification for that pricetag.

But I will agree with marketing a card for 120hz because those are becoming more popular nowadays...and boy the 780 absolutely WRECKS shit at 1080p!
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-05-24 at 08:28 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22652675

If anybody knows anything about breaking in to password protected harddrives without destroying the data, I'm sure CERN would appreciate a call.

There might well be more relics from the web's earliest days on Mr Jones' machine, he said, but for the moment they remain hidden because the password for the computer's hard drive has been forgotten.

15+ Year Old Account
    So which gtx 780 would you pick and why? Talking reference models; Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, EVGA, PNY and gainward. Go!

EVGA for the superior warranty terms.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    EVGA for the superior warranty terms.
    EVGA's awesome warranty is only in the USA/Canada/Mexico IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    EVGA's awesome warranty is only in the USA/Canada/Mexico IIRC.
    The part where they allow you to remove/replace the cooler is worldwide.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    The part where they allow you to remove/replace the cooler is worldwide.
    So if you want to watercool, EVGA. If not, the only real difference is the sticker on the shroud with reference coolers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    So which gtx 780 would you pick and why? Talking reference models; Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, EVGA, PNY and gainward. Go!
    evga served me fine on every card so far :P
    testing my two new cards as we speak

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I went with the EVGA too. Just asking the general opinion about brands.

Didn't have to think about it too much with 1-4 days delivery time compared to 11-20 of MSI and Gigabyte and the price tag of 669 compared to 699 of Asus.

Never MSI for their custom coolers. Never reference designed boards.
    * refuses to look at his MSI GTX 680

ASUS? I thought the DirectCuII was "meh" at best.
    Gigabyte? Windforce is amazing. Mine had coil whine during specific and repeatable scenarios, would still get again (because honestly, how often do you leave Vsync off for login-screens only?)
    KFA2? Possibly.
    eVGA? Like the others said; Yes if watercooling. For me, never otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    DirectCU would be "meh" if they didn't strap a sexy backplate to their higher-end cards

It's all about the aesthetics with DCII, the performance/silence can only just keep up with Giga WF3 and really what more could you ask for :P
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Yeah I went with the EVGA too. Just asking the general opinion about brands.

Didn't have to think about it too much with 1-4 days delivery time compared to 11-20 of MSI and Gigabyte and the price tag of 669 compared to 699 of Asus.
    word of warning so far , either drivers are shit or memory overclocking is an utter joke. (and only +150-175 on the core isn't that much either)

Gigabyte? Windforce is amazing. Mine had coil whine during specific and repeatable scenarios, would still get again (because honestly, how often do you leave Vsync off for login-screens only?)
    Yeah, my 7950 had a bit of coil whine when starting minecraft before I told it to turn on vsync. I think it was pushing something like 300 FPS Very overclockable too, I got to 1200 on the core and nearly 1500 memory with the stock voltage (1050 mV?) before I had to up the voltage. Running on stock settings now though, no real need to run it overclocked, especially as all I'm playing right now is WoW, D3 and GTA4.

EVGA's own air-coolers are pretty dire compared to the rest.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2013-05-24 at 08:22 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    word of warning so far , either drivers are shit or memory overclocking is an utter joke. (and only +150-175 on the core isn't that much either)
    It's not like you could have expected that from a card that didn't make it to be a Titan? Yeah I'm not worried, the reference clocked version already has way more power than what I'd honestly need. I'm only going to overclock it to toy around, so it won't shatter my world, however it turns out to be.

On a completely unrelated topic, am I the only one who would have expected and hoped for SSD's in the new consoles? Waiting for loading screens to load was the biggest pain in the ass while using consoles back in the day when I've last time played them (ps1, ps2). Couldn't they had squeezed in a small cache SSD or make a more expensive "deluxe" version with an SSD in it? Would have been the best bang for buck, in my opinion, to make the whole console feel a lot faster then what it actually is.

Heh, yeah. Especially after the 90 odd second loading screens for Skyrim. My brother played it on a friend's console. I guess that's one way of padding the "400 hours of playing time to finish the game" - making 200 hours of that spent in loading screens

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Never MSI for their custom coolers. Never reference designed boards.
    * refuses to look at his MSI GTX 680

ASUS? I thought the DirectCuII was "meh" at best.
    KFA2? Possibly.
    eVGA? Like the others said; Yes if watercooling. For me, never otherwise.
    I am inclined to agree, my TF3 cooler on my 560Ti Hawk had rumbling bearings a few months before it croaked. Not to mention for how massive the stupid cooler was, it didn't do as good a job as you would expect...

I'm using a GB 6850 right now with a windforce cooler... can't hear a thing. Only problem is the card is far too slow for 1440p.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    DirectCU would be "meh" if they didn't strap a sexy backplate to their higher-end cards
    The HD6970 was high-end! But no back plate.
    If they had direct-contact heatsinks on the memory, they would make better overclockers. Gigabyte has that. It makes a whole lot of difference, esp with nVidia cards where you need better memory performance.