The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I don't like the concept.
    I have a compact camera, a Cyber-shot from Sony. More than decent for the price and what it does. It can't really compete with things that cost 4x as much though. Obviously.
    I too have a Cyber-shot from Sony, it must be nearing a decade old... in fact I think it IS a decade old now.

Thing just doesn't seem capable of not eating batteries up, even while it is off. Also, the memory cards are INSANELY expensive for "oh yeah here's a 2GB."

But honestly, the pictures it takes are phenomenal, for it being so old and stuff. 5MP I do believe, too.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Mine's newer with 12.1 MPx iirc. It has a rechargable battery and can take any memory card space-wise.
    I run a 4 GB MicroSD with a SD-card adapter in it. :P

Deleted
    I have a strong feeling that it was planned from the start, a marketing ploy if you will. Perhaps not to its full extent, but at least partly. There are a few things that make it very obvious, but also some details that confuse.

If Microsoft wanted to induct DRM like they proposed it would be more logical if they tried to be more subtle about it and not make such a big fuss on announcement day. After all, DRM pleases publishers and not the media nor the end consumer. Bragging about it day one makes little sense in that regard.

In either case, a company like Microsoft (read: a multi-billion dollar corporation) probably spends millions on market research yearly. Why? Because it is in their utmost interest to be at the top when it comes to the console race to acquire revenue and that takes knowing the market. In fine detail.

Here is what I think:
    Sony and Microsoft have been discussing the new generation for some time, and agreed on terms for the next generation of consoles. I can say this because both parties announced their console at about the same time, using the same hardware (at least very similar) and has as such been in development for (I estimate) not more than 1.5 years (seeing as how the AMD architecture has a development cycle of at least 2-3 years, and they wouldn't want to present something that isn't at least half-working to these big costumers). My guess is that the development of the actual hardware has been going on for not more than a year. That timing and the choice of hardware speaks of a collaboration, at least to some extent.

They want to match each other because of a few factors. For one, developing for a console is made easier moving over to the x86 platform. Indie developers with experience on PC hardware will have a breeze working with these new machines. Cross-platform titles will be a breeze, too. In essence, they want to make it easier for developers to move over to their platform.

Another reason is that competition favors the market. Both companies going well is better overall for all parties compared to if one company was doing great and the other wasn't. The whole market relies on development and consumer interest. The bigger the interest and the easier it is to develop the more the market will flourish.

Now, here comes the quirk. Assuming the above is true (which is just assumptions, mind) these two major companies still want to come out on top, of course. With the same hardware, same-ish feature set, layout and controller input something else needs to differentiate these consoles.

Queue Microsoft's marketing ploy with intention to create a contrast.

Wildly announcing DRM limitations and complicated licensing and trading policies created a lot of negativity, no doubt about that. Going back on all that, claiming they 'listen to what consumers want' create a contrast where Microsoft and the Xbox One emerge a great choice ("hey, these guys actually listens to me!"). I wouldn't be surprised if we see a huge game-bundle for $599 or even a price-drop before launch to further increase this contrast. I can at least safely say that Microsoft is not done marketing for the Xbox One.

I believe this strategy is for the mid-section, meaning gamers that will only really buy one console and never switch. The 'average' consumer. Any hardcore gamer will either go PC (realizing its benefits) or eventually acquire all 2 or 3 consoles.

In 1-2 months when the release is more imminent all that will be remembered is how Microsoft turned around and delivered exactly what gamers want - even though Sony did it first. (Not to mention, Microsoft has earned a lot of publicity from this. I know a few not-so-involved people who only really had a hunch that a PS4 was coming, although they could ramble the ins and outs of the Xbox One's policies.) I mean, just imagine all the viral videos, memes and posts that have flourished this past week - most of them have been entirely about the Xbox One.

And now, with these announcements, people are giving Microsoft a lot of praise (even though technically Sony did this from the get-go). Just read the comments to the articles around the web.

It's a rather poor move by Microsoft but I honestly think it will work. At least to some degree.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2013-06-20 at 08:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    And now, with these announcements, people are giving Microsoft a lot of praise (even though technically Sony did this from the get-go). Just read the comments to the articles around the web.

It's a rather poor move by Microsoft but I honestly think it will work. At least to some degree.
    Why would they praise microsoft when 2 days ago they were prepared to anally gouge you with a golf club.

That stupid "they listened!" argument doesn't really work when microsoft had been telling their users to "deal with it", "don't live outside of big cities", and only stopped fucking everyone over when they realized they wouldn't get away with it.

I hope everyone remembers this as "microsoft tried to force us into an online only drm world" and not "They stopped shoving rusty forks in our ass when we asked them to for 2 months. How nice of them"
    Last edited by This name sucks; 2013-06-20 at 10:31 PM.

Deleted
    Well...

Maybe because this 'turn around' makes Microsoft look good to the ones that are, in one way or another, easily manipulated? We might not be fooled, but we are such a small portion of the gaming community. What about all those who don't read tech-sites or keep up with tech-related news? What about the ones that follow trends and blindly go by whatever meme is currently on the front page of Reddit?

Fact of the matter is that Microsoft is getting a lot of praise for 'listening at their consumers'. The publicity generated from this is absolutely massive. Xbox One is all people are talking about, and if anyone is bringing up the PS4 it's only in the shadow of the Xbox One (I'm generalizing heavily here to make a point).

I won't be affected. You won't. Most people that can stand for themselves most likely won't be affected. But what about the daft masses? The "average consumer"? They will all see this as Microsoft listening to them and doing what they asked; i.e. being the good guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I work as tech support at staples. I fix people's dumb shit for a living so you're probably right about the average consumer being completely helpless.

God that's so depressing to know that the average person is just so bad that they would see this as a positive turn of events.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mine's newer with 12.1 MPx iirc. It has a rechargable battery and can take any memory card space-wise.
    I run a 4 GB MicroSD with a SD-card adapter in it. :P
    Oh, I had rechargeable double A batteries. It just became too expensive for me, but I think if I took the batteries out while it is off, it might not suck up the power.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    alright fixed a bunch of good fans for a steal price to improve my airflow.
    any guesses to the amount of fans i now have in my HAF 912?

10+ Year Old Account
    What was that, Shroud? SORRY I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    nice try.
    noctua/nexus fans so there is pretty much no sound.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pfffff so the HAF-X guy gets to change his tone all of a sudden due to jumping ship to Fractal >_>
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    nice try.
    noctua/nexus fans so there is pretty much no sound.
    Not based on what everyone else says.

Mesh therefore sound.

---------- Post added 2013-06-21 at 09:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Pfffff so the HAF-X guy gets to change his tone all of a sudden due to jumping ship to Fractal >_>
    When in the last year was I pro-HAF X?
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    alright fixed a bunch of good fans for a steal price to improve my airflow.
    any guesses to the amount of fans i now have in my HAF 912?
    So you've spent 10 times the money on fans now compared to the case? :P
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

When in the last year was I pro-HAF X?
    You were using one, weren't you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    You were using one, weren't you?
    And hating every second of it!

Yet these... friends, were always making fun of me on Facebook for it.

Namely: Marest, n0cturnal, Marest, Inux94, Marest, and I think Marest.
    "A flower.

Although one does not use Facebook, one does think one started it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Although one does not use Facebook, one does think one started it!
    Very true.

*stares*
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    So you've spent 10 times the money on fans now compared to the case? :P
    naah got em for a very good price.
    30 euro for 2 noctua ones 3 nexus ones and still got some no name ones i can resell.

10+ Year Old Account
    And hating every second of it!

Yet these... friends, were always making fun of me on Facebook for it.

Namely: Marest, n0cturnal, Marest, Inux94, Marest, and I think Marest.
    Oh come on, you forgot about me! :S

Joking, nobody was really making "fun of you" in that kind of sense, t'was just random comments because we knew you were a bit iffy about your case....when someone brings up their dislike/annoyance for something they own, it's fun to rub it in their face (a bit more) :P

Now enjoy that Fractal case you sexy drummer.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze