The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    OOoOOooOOo pictures please! ;D
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Z87 motherboards' colourschemes suck. I had to settle with an inexpensive motherboards just to not have too many clashing colours. :c

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Z87 motherboards' colourschemes suck. I had to settle with an inexpensive motherboards just to not have too many clashing colours. :c
    You need to colormatch a digital water dispenser ?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    You need to colormatch a digital water dispenser ?
    Well, just because it has a well does not mean I shall not care about how it matches! :c

Anybody managed to actually buy one or two of those Crucial 960gb SSDs? The major stores (tiger direct, ncix, memory express, newegg, etc) either list them as sold out or have dropped them from their site entirely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Anybody managed to actually buy one or two of those Crucial 960gb SSDs? The major stores (tiger direct, ncix, memory express, newegg, etc) either list them as sold out or have dropped them from their site entirely.
    what kind of plans do you have with such amount of ssd storage?
    also shops around here list it around 550euro 2 got it in stock and 4 others expect it within a week.
    however i don't have any plans of buying such ssd storage. (120Gb is plenty for me already)

what kind of plans do you have with such amount of ssd storage?
    Getting rid of the data HDDs in my computer: they impossibly slow.

Try doing a full backup of 2 TB on a pair of WD Black drives: the copy takes around 6 hours, then you've got another 8 of verification when it finishes. If you've used a usb-3 disk toaster/enclosure instead of a hotswap bay then you can add another 50% to that. realistically it's a whole-day process. Worse for me because my storage disk is some 5400 RPM green drive that's about half that fast. I'd replace it with a faster one, but once you've committed to letting the process run for 24 hours, what's another 12? You'll be sleeping through them anyway.

The task is entirely IO bound and can be solved by more/faster disks. Buy 4 SSDs: 2 go inside the case in raid 0 for storage, 2 more into a thunderbolt2 enclosure in raid 0 for backup. Now you should have 1 gigabyte/second (more realistically 750 megabytes/second) backups and that cuts your backup time to a much more reasonable hour or two.

Deleted
    kinda seems overkill to backup that much to warrant such ssd's?
    would it be an option to run a mirror raid setup so you still have a backup but don't need a whole manual back-up process?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    kinda seems overkill to backup that much to warrant such ssd's?
    would it be an option to run a mirror raid setup so you still have a backup but don't need a whole manual back-up process?
    Honestly, it isn't overkill.

When I was having the power issues, which ended up being a loose power cable to I believe my CPU, or it was the 24-pin, only two of my 5 internal disks survived.

You know which two? My SSD and DVD drive. -.-

SSDs can handle rapid on/off of power and almost anything. HDDs cannot. SSDs are much more reliable nowadays, in that regard.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I have a power surge I'm sure my HDD's will survive.

bcause

if they dnt

i will be mad

liek super mad

>_<
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

RAID is an availability / performance enhancement. It doesn't do me any good to have RAID-1+0 in my computer when there's a fire, a thief, or the house is under water. Further, RAID solutions only help with hard disk failure. It won't fix me doing something stupid like shitting on a git history, a buggy program corrupting everything it touches, me fat-fingering in an "sudo rm -rf / tmp/somepath", or somebody doing intentional damage (angry ex-girlfriend? dog pissing on my computer?). I just end up with two broken copies of data.

I have a passably good local back-up strategy. The big problem is having a good offsite strategy. there's no way around the fact that if you want data to exist in two locations then you need to make the copy and transport it.

I'm not trying to argue that SSD backup disks and stuff are cheap: hell, one of those disks cost more than many people on this site spend on their entire computer. The way I justify it is that we don't think twice about $350 worth of LED lights, color-matched/fabric-wrapped power cables, and fancy fans in a gaming PC. Data is the only part of your computer that has value (in 10 years pictures of your kids or your thesis are worth something to you, sli graphics cards aren't) and it's the only thing with a cost to lose (insurance will replace my hardware, my data is my problem). Compared to the other frivolous expenses and what it would cost to have your computer and data 'vanish' - it's not that out of line. Plus you do get legitimate benefit: the disks are faster, quieter, cooler, etc while you're using them. It's not a very big gain because 90% of what you store doesn't need that sort of speed - but it's there all the same. Certainly that's more than can be said for buying red sata cables to match a graphics card.

If anybody has a better / faster way to duplicate 3 TB worth of data: I'm all ears. I guess I could write the NSA and ask for a copy, but the restore time is probably pretty bad.
    Last edited by a21fa7c67f26f6d49a20c2c51; 2013-07-01 at 06:55 PM.

In case anyone wanted some more games "to play later", GMG has a sale on right now!
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    In case anyone wanted some more games "to play later", GMG has a sale on right now!
    Thanks for the link man! Those are some good deals! Finally got 10,000,000.

Will share this!
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah... I was thinking of something like that when I saw he jumped ship.
    "A flower.

Zynga were the guys that made Farmville, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Zynga were the guys that made Farmville, right?
    Yep. Among the other facebook games.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    Oh great. Not like I already have 50+ games lying around I haven't played yet. :c
    &nbsp;

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Oh great. Not like I already have 50+ games lying around I haven't played yet. :c
    Yep, that's me as well haha.

Deleted
    atleast you people got acces to your games ......
    ETA untill my rig is finally online is friday by the end of the day.
    worst bit of it i'm likely forced to play on wifi -_- .(now if the guy would use my dual band it could work, but instead he'll use the standard contract supplied one)
    anyone actually got a clue how stable intergrated mobo wifi adapters are?
    Last edited by mmoce1d4ab16bc; 2013-07-03 at 08:11 PM.