Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    while i agree to quite an extend.
    i myself had nothing but trouble with 3 different gigabyte mobo's in 1 year time.
    These things happen and it's a shame. I have never personally had an issue with them, and now that they look good as well, I approve.
    I don't think personal bias in this matter is a bad thing, one should learn from experience. Of course. I also think companies deserve a second chance if they do shape up, eventually, which is why I'll give MSI a chance further along, as well as not stop recommending Western Digital.
    And nVidia, well. They're making it really hard for me to try to keep an open mind about liking them

But back to Gigabyte, I personally think they have some of the best warranties, should anything happen. They apparently replace motherboards even if you bend their pins, "broken PCI-e", "scratched PCB".

15+ Year Old Account
    Okey fuck my life and fuck origin.

Trying to play some battlefield 3 for the first time in probably 3-4 months. Proceed to log in with the password I think is correct because the "automatically log-in" option has reset. Nothing. Wrong password. Try different passwords and even different usernames. Still nothing. Continue to the reset password option and manage to get it working but of course it doesn't tell me which email address it sent the new password to...

After checking trough all the known email addresses I have and none of which has the mail from Origin I have to accept that the account is just unusable for me now. Probably used some older email to register the account and I now can't remember which one that was. No way to proceed from here. Good that I didn't buy more then one game from that shit of a service.

Guess whether I'm going to buy the game again or play it by other means? Good that I only cared for the single player too...

/rantoff

10+ Year Old Account
    is the username not your email?

10+ Year Old Account
    ^ Haha that's the first thing that came to my mind. Origin username = email.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not the same I don't think but both work for login.. Couldn't get any email to work for the recovery though so it still doesn't help.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been doing sooooo much video conversion lately and that's one thing i5's are pretty shit at doing...BUT I SHALL NOT UPGRADE, I shall not cave into temptation, because my wallet is already feeling fucking light due to the 780!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    It's not the same I don't think but both work for login.. Couldn't get any email to work for the recovery though so it still doesn't help.
    Considering that you HAVE to use an email address to register on Origin, and you've used Forgotten Password, and the email has come on none of your known addresses, I can't help but think that's just a freakishly rare occurrence man : /

10+ Year Old Account
    tweaking ubuntu 13.04:

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Considering that you HAVE to use an email address to register on Origin, and you've used Forgotten Password, and the email has come on none of your known addresses, I can't help but think that's just a freakishly rare occurrence man : /
    Yeah I'm sort of torn between blaming them or blaming myself. Them for creating a system that allows this and me for not remembering. The problem on my part is mainly my use of gmail based email addresses which I have multiple, all of which use my name as a base with different characters in between or few letters changed.

Deleted
    might have a buyer for my cards
    now evga better release those classifieds in the EU this week .....

10+ Year Old Account
    Would be safe to flash a 780 DCII with a Classified bios for moar voltage :S
    edit: nevermind
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-07-22 at 07:14 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I've come to the conclusion that Windows 8 ultrabooks are all trash. Thanks Microsoft. Non touchscreen Win 8 laptops are cumbersome to use... putting Win7 on them is a complete PITA... touchscreen laptops are even worse being that they are slightly less but still very cumbersome to use and putting Win7 on them makes you question why you got a touchscreen laptop in the first place... Surface is too fucking small and overpriced for what you get... most convertibles are flimsy, and if they aren't then they are basically a really large tablet... also Windows 8.

Man I hate Windows 8 so much. I bought it for $20 and still can't get used to this god awful disjointed interface.

It's bad when the 13" Macbook Air is more usable, and cheaper than some of the Windows equivalents. -_-

Microsoft really needs to do something about this.
    Last edited by Asera; 2013-07-22 at 11:43 AM.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that Windows 8 ultrabooks are all trash. Thanks Microsoft. Non touchscreen Win 8 laptops are cumbersome to use... putting Win7 on them is a complete PITA... touchscreen laptops are even worse being that they are slightly less but still very cumbersome to use and putting Win7 on them makes you question why you got a touchscreen laptop in the first place... Surface is too fucking small and overpriced for what you get... most convertibles are flimsy, and if they aren't then they are basically a really large tablet... also Windows 8.

Man I hate Windows 8 so much. I bought it for $20 and still can't get used to this god awful disjointed interface.

It's bad when the 13" Macbook Air is more usable, and cheaper than some of the Windows equivalents. -_-

Microsoft really needs to do something about this.
    Get ClassicShell. Thank me later
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Deleted
    There are still swipe-gestures built into Windows 8 that make using a touch-pad extremely annoying (opening the 'Modern UI', showing the 'Charms Bar', etc). It's retarded beyond reason and makes using the device for productivity frustrating. I don't know how many times I have swiped up to the right to close a window when Modern UI has popped up instead. I personally hope they fix this in 8.1, but doubt it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Yeah I'm sort of torn between blaming them or blaming myself. Them for creating a system that allows this and me for not remembering. The problem on my part is mainly my use of gmail based email addresses which I have multiple, all of which use my name as a base with different characters in between or few letters changed.
    This is more or less why most of these services, when made by sane people, employ the incredibly complex technique of showing the registered email when resetting the password.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    Get ClassicShell. Thank me later
    I had severe issues using software like this in W8; it was incredibly schizophrenic in working for me lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I personally hope they fix this in 8.1, but doubt it will happen.
    In W8.1 you get a lot of options from the taskbar's properties menu pertaining to exactly these things. You'll be able to disable the charms from occurring without using hotkey, boot directly to Windows, etc. At least that's what I read about the preview. Hopefully that stays in.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I had severe issues using software like this in W8; it was incredibly schizophrenic in working for me lol.
    Really? That's weird. I've never had a single problem since I've been using it on my pc and laptop and family/friends pc's.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    Really? That's weird. I've never had a single problem since I've been using it on my pc and laptop and family/friends pc's.
    That was the only way I could tolerate using Win8 at home before I dumped it for 7 again. Glad I only spent $20 on it.

Either way, you shouldn't need 3rd party applications just to restore basic usability to an operating system. Not even Ubuntu needs that.

I'm trying to find a lightweight laptop for my 58 year old Aunt, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to recommend her a MBA because of the disjointed nature of Win8. She's not a power user so having myriads of 3rd party stuff just to make the thing usable is not really feasible. I have enough problems with her current Turion 64 X2 machine. Lol.

There are still swipe-gestures built into Windows 8 that make using a touch-pad extremely annoying (opening the 'Modern UI', showing the 'Charms Bar', etc). It's retarded beyond reason and makes using the device for productivity frustrating. I don't know how many times I have swiped up to the right to close a window when Modern UI has popped up instead. I personally hope they fix this in 8.1, but doubt it will happen.
    Oh god, I noticed the same thing when I tried out all the Win8 machines. I find the whole split between old desktop UI and 'modern UI' the biggest problem with Windows 8. It really should be all or nothing on one or the other - or at least have the option for that... ugh.

For example, the only time I found the metro interface not cumbersome was on full fledged tablets... and at that point, the desktop environment is more or less pointless.

It's my opinion that MS is not addressing the biggest problem with Windows 8... the disjointed nature of the split interfaces.

People not deadset in their ways, or new people to the windows platform tends to get to grips with it all the more easily. /me shrugs
    to tell you the truth, I've been saying all along that I don't think Win8 makes much sense portable, but is great for Desktops, which people have found opposite of their own opinions.

Personally, I'm looking to sell my laptop since I haven't touched it in a year. I don't like the damn things.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Personally, I'm looking to sell my laptop since I haven't touched it in a year. I don't like the damn things.
    Me neither. I replaced my notebook with a Nexus 7. Does exactly the same thing my notebook did and weighs a lot less.

I don't think Win8 makes much sense portable, but is great for Desktops
    Clarify.

I've been waiting for the next generation of Nexus 7 since March to do the same, and I would actually use it, since I can pick it up and just put it down without having to fold it up or turn it off. And carry it with me. And have batterylife.

I don't think Windows does great on small screens (apart from WP8 which I love), I'd rather ubuntu completely on portables. I think it's an awkward attempt at solidifying two different things. It's got great desktop improvements over Win7, but their approach to and handling of the dual-OS? No, awkward.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I've been waiting for the next generation of Nexus 7 since March to do the same, and I would actually use it, since I can pick it up and just put it down without having to fold it up or turn it off. And carry it with me. And have batterylife.

I don't think Windows does great on small screens (apart from WP8 which I love), I'd rather ubuntu completely on portables. I think it's an awkward attempt at solidifying two different things. It's got great desktop improvements over Win7, but their approach to and handling of the dual-OS? No, awkward.
    Yeah, exactly. Imagine how much better the desktop environment would be with a normal start menu, perhaps more centred around search, which I find in my experience more people use after I show them that it's faster than digging through the menu.

Think of how much better the modern UI would be with no desktop behind it.

It really should be two separate things. Like OSX and iOS. They're trying way to hard to unify things that should not be unified.