I mostly run my (3)NF-F12, (1)NF-P12 and (1)NF-P14 in 5v alternatively PWM bare-minimum speeds. At full speeds, I've heard no rumbling (I think, we may define the word differently), not from my Noctua fans nor my single Gentle Typhoon I still have as exhaust (which by far is the fan I hear the most when at 1450 RPM)

I'm not a fan (hah!) of the NF-S12 (Not tried NF-S12A), but I'd personally run NF-F12 for air flow as well.

EDIT: My Internet went out due to a storm, didn't notice further replies.
    As for cooler, I'd opt for the Silver Arrow SB-Extreme or Phanteks dual tower (PH-TC14PE) if you are going for a high-end tower heatsink today.NH-D14 not long after.
    Ideally, you'd use NF-A15-fans on the cooler no matter which you choose
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2013-10-28 at 05:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Says on the site that the NF-F12 series is designed for static pressure and therefor heatsinks.
    As for the CPU fan, the dark rock pro 2 is a little quieter than your suggestions. But i guess it has to be available in your country.

Well, for heatsinks, the fans' noise is all that matters! And I'd wager anything that the NF-A15 are the best there are at airflow/noise.

Well, the NF-F12 are indeed designed for heatsink/radiators, but then again, the NF-A14 is designed for radiators and case fans; Go NF-A14/NF-F12 for case and NF-A15 for heatsink would be my ultimate advice.

10+ Year Old Account
    That Phanteks PH-TC14PE + A15's looks like nice solution. But i wonder if i'll get into trouble with my high-profile memory.

Phanteks

Dark Rock

And if i use a Phanteks with a 120mm and 140mm noctua setup, i doubt the extra price is really worth it.
    I've known Be Quiet fans to be durable. 2year old fan is still silent.

Or i just use different ram... xD
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2013-10-28 at 06:39 PM.

Can't you just mount the fan 10mm higher up?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but you would have a lot of blow-by, defeating the purpose of using a 140mm fan i guess.
    And i'm using a micro-atx case. I'm pretty sure it hits the side of my case if i mount it higher.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is why I won't ever buy high profile RAM. It gives absolutely no benefit whatsoever and also cuts you down on the amount of air coolers you may use, especially some of the best ones available...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    It was originally destined to be fitted with the H60. But yeah, i kinda limited my options with this.
    Maybe i can find someone to trade with.

@Majesticii: Go for a nh-u14s since you're getting a NF-A14 anyways and has that square thingie for compatibility with highprofile ram and the heatsink is optimized for that fan. It does outperform a dark rock pro 2

http://i.imgur.com/vIjMYrB.png

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    Anyone with noctua's can confim if these have none of that?
    Meh I've tried it with a lot of different fans and only the noctua's were perfect literally perfect. Basically I hooked the fan to my fancontroller and tried every speed the NF-F12 doesnt produce any sort of weird noises like squuezes or annoying grinding noise just, even kept the motor close to my ear and couldn't even hear it at 300rpm. Those SP120 (non-L versions) are just nothing compared to noctua's.

The nf-f12 pwm's on my nh-u12s heatsink seems to be much quieter at full rpm than on a H100i rad (1fan turned off). Also the noctua's mounting mechanism is extremely easy and extremely feeling firm.

10+ Year Old Account
    That sounds good Faithh. You indeed describe the annoying things i meant. I held the AF140's and SP120's close to my ear. And i could clearly hear the motor make a rumblesound.

So what do you guys think about the shadow play? Was pleasantly surprised at the video quality of the file (it being mp4 and all) and high frame rate with it being only 1.7GB's for 5 minutes. I did notice some frame rate impact with using it on Arkham Origins with my 770. However, I'm playing the game maxed out with Shadow play on high.
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-10-29 at 01:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh poop, shadowplay is out? I need to test that as soon as I get home :S
    Although 1.7gb for 5mins sounds a bit absurd, I thought it applied H264 encoding/compression on-the-fly? It should be a lot smaller than that. I'm assuming 60 fps?
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Oh poop, shadowplay is out? I need to test that as soon as I get home :S
    Although 1.7gb for 5mins sounds a bit absurd, I thought it applied H264 encoding/compression on-the-fly? It should be a lot smaller than that. I'm assuming 60 fps?
    Yeah, 60. It seems like a good file size to me though. I'm used to fraps (on comparable settings) eating my hard drive space like candy with those AVI files. I was trying to find a way to set Shadow play to record at 30fps while I'm able to play at 60 to further reduce the file size. Doesn't seem to be an option though.
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-10-29 at 05:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    Yeah, 60. It seems like a good file size to me though. I'm used to fraps (on comparable settings) eating my hard drive space like candy with those AVI files. I was trying to find a way to set Shadow play to record at 30fps while I'm able to play at 60 to further reduce the file size. Doesn't seem to be an option though.
    Fraps can do that. :P
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Fraps can do that. :P
    Fraps also murders framerates, it hasn't become any more optimized over the last...what, 5 years?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Fraps also murders framerates, it hasn't become any more optimized over the last...what, 5 years?
    I daresay I beg to differ. It does not murder fps. Also, many people don't uncheck "lock framerate" nor Fraps record to a different hard drive.

If you want purely unhindered uncompressed video and audio, it will take a toll on the computer, regardless. Newer computers can handle it though.
    "A flower.

1.7 GiB per 5 minutes is great. I was recording 5 GiB per 10 seconds when I recorded 30 fps uncompressed with MSI Afterburner. Hard drives couldn't really keep up. :P

And Fraps bogs down on CPU so it will hinder things, normally.

15+ Year Old Account
    I got a 1440p monitor, it looks pretty nice. I just can't seem to get the colors right. I got it overclocked to 108hz, no dead pixels.

My neck still has not adjusted yet, I have to look up more....I need a taller chair. It is also nice to play wow at a higher resolution, I play in windowed mode so I can watch movies and do other things. Though my fps has dropped a little bit, I just toned down the settings a bit. Though the worst thing is trying to watch 480p movies on this things...it kills your eyes. Where to find some 1440p movies....

Seems like there is barely anything, oh well, I found a few things on YouTube that are in 1440p.

Guh, I tried to dual monitor with eyefinity but it downscale my monitor to 1080, no go I guess. But it seems like I can use windows to extend the display and I still get to keep this monitor at 1440p and the other one at 1080, though it is not aligned because of the different resolutions but as long as I don't eave anything hanging off either edge it does not look too bad.

The colors on my Asus looks much better though.
    Last edited by apepi; 2013-10-29 at 06:17 PM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Shadowplay initial impressions: Absolutely incredible. Basically zero performance hit, very small file sizes on low-medium quality while looking decent. If they added a 30fps "youtube" option it would halve those file sizes.

Goodbye fraps
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-10-29 at 09:36 PM.

Yea. Screw G-sync, Shadowplay is the dealmaker for me. I have to weigh it up to Mantle and I'm not sure which I'd rather pick.
    It's still early. More settings will come.

I'm confined to my laptop for the foreseeable future for unrelated IRL things. Basically away-from-home and travel sort of deal.
    Initial impressions: Man, the keyboard suck. I'm glad I brought my cherry blue keyboard. And woah, I really really miss Aero with Win8.