10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    So the questions now is, with tax return in a couple of months do I buy a 5930k and a second 980 + a 3440x1440 IPS screen or the Asus 1440p 144Hz? I'm not sure which screen to get but I got an itch to get myself some new toys!
    Even a second 980 won't really get you a 2560x1440 at 144Hz on more graphically intensive games. Personally I would get the 3440x1440 or a good 2560x1440 or a good 120Hz 1920x1080.
    LG 34UM95 for the 3440x1440
    BenQ GW2765HT for the 2560x1440
    Eizo FG2421 for the 120Hz 1920x1080

A normal 1920x1080 would be Eizo EV2450. Very good monitor but it's 1920x1080 of course.

Personally I'd go with a 4790k but that's just me.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    evn you're in Canada now right? Personally I don't mind taxes as I know we all feed into systems to help society although I do think there needs some tweaks as to how much goes where etc. Honestly I'm in favor of a sales tax increase so people who try to evade taxes or are not paying them period they pay into it more with a higher sales tax as everyone needs to buy food/clothes etc.
    Too much of ours goes to our military.

Sorry, stating the obvious here. :P

I think I might get some back from the feds, just not all of it. I can hope it's a decent amount though... I mean... let's see.

I've paid roughly $1,275 in fed taxes this year. Should be interesting to see how much above the poverty line I was for the year...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Iamanerd, actual tax evasion is not solved with sales taxes. In fact, that's like giving the big tax evaders a pat on the shoulder and saying, "Don't worry Jim, we'll take their money instead."

Because as it turns out, the ones who'd be worthwhile chasing for tax evasion are also people whose purchase of goods is massively disproportionate to their income. That is, they're so rich they can hardly spend enough money. Meanwhile, your average Joe is already spending the vast majority of their income, putting it back into the economy and existing sales taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Oh i've had UPS mark stuff as delivered in their online tracker(because it showing up at the local depot means delivered apparently) the day before the truck actually showed up and another time they showed up at our front door and dropped a box that was marked FRAGILE all over the damn thing from waist-height to the concrete porch with a lovely THUNK, luckily nothing was broken(it was a laptop) and i even got them to refund me the shipping costs after i threw a fit at their local office

Aside from those 2 times, they have been pretty good with getting stuff here in one piece with the other few dozen packages i've received over the years.
    Currently working at a local parcel facility. I can tell you that workers here dont give a crap if a parcel says fragile or whatever on it, it still gets thrown around. But that's mostly because it's flat-out busy and there is no time to stack parcels neatly, not that it excuses it. I know that feeling, knowing what happens to my parcels on their way to my place.
    Last edited by Evil Inside; 2014-12-21 at 12:42 AM.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Drunken and evn I agree, that is the biggest draw back of what I was thinking but to be honest economics isn't my strong suite. I do agree if they shifted military funding to help things within our own borders more it'd definitely help. Like if they invested in upgrading our current electrical grid to a a smart grid and our roads/highways/bridges need a massive overhaul these days. But yeah taxes and the way policies work there is no one fix all type of deal, I do think we need to as a country re-evaluate our spending and priorities.

As to Remilia I currently have a Asus 1440p IPS monitor atm, as for the processor the money isn't an issue and I'm doing it more as a "hey I want this toy instead" type of deal mainly to OC and if I run 2x980's having them in dual x16 will be nice with a 5930k. Honestly I'm leaning towards that 3440x1440 LG, I can only imagine my workspace while coding on that (plus when I need to make a website all that space will be freaking awesome) and games will look awesome on it as well.

Also has anyone built a pfSense box yet? I'm thinking about building one for myself but I'm wondering if anyone else has yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Too much of ours goes to our military.

Sorry, stating the obvious here. :P

I think I might get some back from the feds, just not all of it. I can hope it's a decent amount though... I mean... let's see.

I've paid roughly $1,275 in fed taxes this year. Should be interesting to see how much above the poverty line I was for the year...
    Sadly I've paid over $5500 into federal this year haha, so I'm hoping for a decent amount back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Noctua NH-D15 arrived and installed. So much easier to install than the CM Hyper 212 Evo.
    That and it's quiet! Yay!

The color actually isn't that bad, especially since I have no window

Taking off the heatsink though for one of the RAM stick is annoying, otherwise the fan wouldn't fit inside the case.

15+ Year Old Account
    I decided to take one of you guys advice and open my hard drive up for fun. I ended up not having one of the tools needed...so I kinda forced it. Well, I lost my shitty hammer, but then I grabbed one of my actual good one and they worked just fine. I think I am going to give it to my dad as a present, he likes those kinds of things. It was kinda fun and educational to rip something apart.

And btw, I think my hard drive pcb was fried, it smelt burnt.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I decided to take one of you guys advice and open my hard drive up for fun. I ended up not having one of the tools needed...so I kinda forced it. Well, I lost my shitty hammer, but then I grabbed one of my actual good one and they worked just fine. I think I am going to give it to my dad as a present, he likes those kinds of things. It was kinda fun and educational to rip something apart.

And btw, I think my hard drive pcb was fried, it smelt burnt.
    Hard drive platters make excellent coasters

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Hard drive platters make excellent coasters
    Yeah, I need to get the right head to unscrew them, the head is way too small with anything I have.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    If I'm not mistaken hard drive platters have some... bad stuff... on them. :P
    "A flower.

If I'm not mistaken hard drive platters have some... bad stuff... on them. :P
    Stop downloading pr0n then

So long as you don't eat the platter, you should be ok. It's an aluminium disc with about 15 nanometres of cobalt on the surface.

7+ Year Old Account
    Not doing any upgrades this year, and probably not in 2015 either. Still running my 4770k/780ti that I got back in October of last year. I'm currently planning on doing another overhaul when Skylake comes out, DDR4 is standard, and there is something like a 20nm 980ti. I'm not going to replace my video card until 20nm is out. The 980 is a good card but it is mostly a sidegrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Upgrading from 4770K to Skylake is likely to be a pretty minimal increase, not going to lie.

Also, DDR4 isn't really that big a difference (see my sig, I'm using it) unless you need LOTS of SUPER FAST RAM.

What kind of RAM do you currently have? If you've spent a decent amount of $ on it at all, I'd say it's not worth upgrading.

Unless of course you make like $100k a year and money is basically no object, then I'll digress.
    "A flower.

My upgrade plan is Skylake - that's a good 4-5 years after I built this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    My upgrade plan is Skylake - that's a good 4-5 years after I built this one.
    Yeah, but at least it is like a 4 generation leap for you. :P I went Haswell-E because I just felt the need to finally upgrade, personally. I'm very happy with my purchase. ^_^
    "A flower.

Yeah, but at least it is like a 4 generation leap for you. :P I went Haswell-E because I just felt the need to finally upgrade, personally. I'm very happy with my purchase. ^_^
    I'll have the money to do a water loop too, although I don't know if I want to go to the effort when it'll be ~600 euro for pure aesthetics (unless Intel goes and makes a miniature space heater of a CPU ).

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a good feeling they won't... Then again, I know nothing, right Jon Snow?
    "A flower.

I'm also interested in making an mITX system with enough power to become sentient, so I guess we'll just wait and see what happens in the next 12 months.

15+ Year Old Account
    I still have not found a reason to upgrade from my 2500k yet.