Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Um....were you not supposed to be able to do this?
    http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/6158...ocking-results

If you reboot your PC enough times the overclocking thing in CCC glitches and is enabled.

Memory overclocking is supposed to be locked down, core overclocking is supposed to be enabled "soon".
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Former author of the TankSpot.com Protection Paladin guide

Wait shit, you run a tankspot guide, Butler? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Wait shit, you run a tankspot guide, Butler? :P
    Used to, too lazy to update my sig
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Former author of the TankSpot.com Protection Paladin guide

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    The i3 and i7 comparison isn't really that well... comparable. For games they have no use for Double Precision, which isn't the same as cutting off core and cache for a CPU.
    The process that they're using to modify the characteristics of the chip is the same. They start by building "the best chips" and then neuter them in order to fit the specs of the lower end components.

Those transistors are going to exist anyway, and they're going to be use for single precision anyway. It's not like there's a bunch of "double precision only" transistors just sitting idle on the board that you'd could meaningfully re purpose without designing a new GPU.

The hack AMD/NVidia are performing is equivalent to to Intel's multiplier locking in 4960s -- the chips are identical to the unlocked version safe for a couple of minor modifications to lock the clock speed and set slightly different max turbos frequencies. A couple of minor tweaks at the end of a production line to disable portions of a GPU or to modify it's behaviour is all that's going on. It's not like comparing socket 2011 intel chips to the 115x models.

Since you're using CPU, more comparable would be to cut off the IGPU in a CPU and reduce TDP
    TDP is a spec for teh cooling system: chip X can produce Y watts that you need to deal with.

If all other things are kept equal, it doesn't matter whether you disable a GPU by fusing it off or never bother to mask and etch the transistors in the first place. Gates, wires, transistors, and capacitors that never have power flowing through them are equivalent to wires and transistors that don't exist. Your house doesn't get hotter just because you buy a space heater, you have to plug it in and turn it on before anything changes. If you never turn it on then your home is exactly the same as if you didn't buy one in the first place.

or use that die space for other purposes because for a gamer with a DGPU that would prove to be useless.
    Now you're getting somewhere interesting, but you're also talking about designing new GPU rather than trivial production modifications to one that already exists.

You'll probably be disappointed at how little complexity is involved in taking the few hundred registers and few thousand execution units that already exist for single precision and allowing them to also be used for double or double-double operations. It's not like adding an FPU to a system with an ALU, or more like adding support for bitwise shift to an ALU that already supports integer multiply. There's some hardware dedicated to the task, but 90% of it had to be there already in order to support all the other operations the hardware can do.

[d700] doesn't perform as well as a 280x in games, You sacrifice one thing for another in these.
    That's a combination of drivers and card construction (including bios):. As we've seen earlier in this thread: a "good" vs "bad" driver can swing performance well over 20%. In the case of the drivers aimed at workstations, the software is optimized ensure compliance and validation with specs set by various vendors. Read over the Firepro/Quadro changelists and you're not going to see "improve performance in Batman by 20%".

In the case of the mac pro Dx00 the real killer is that they're under-clocked in order to improve longevity, reduce the likelihood of failure, and ensure consistent performance after hours or days of maximum load. Cramming them into a tiny enclosure without their usual cooling solution probably influenced that decision too.
    Last edited by evn; 2015-06-30 at 02:25 AM.
    A new UI series for 5.2Steal my old UILearn about WeakAuras • Nobody to raid with right now so no PVE videos.

I know about the binning and such, I believe for the 79xx was very common that they end up lasering (or not at all) for the 7950.

And I see what you mean. Still would be interesting to see a new design without it from AMD.