The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    I was invited to join a 'private members club' that I was interested in, and got a raise today.
    I feel like I should be a lot happier about that than I am.

In both cases I suspect the benefits they're supposed to confer are overstated.
    Talking to accounting Tuesday to see if I can get my drinking covered as part of our "healthy living benefit".
    Dude.

If my craft beer drinking habits were subsidized I'd be fucking rich by now. XD My Roth IRA would see full contributions each year bahahaha!

- - - Updated - - -

Since I'm not a programming type and a lot of this stuff is beyond me, I was just wondering if you guys knew...

1) Why don't we have 128-bit Operating Systems yet? Or if we do, why aren't they more mainstream?
    2) What kinds of benefits would we see with that?
    3) Is it even worth it?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Since I'm not a programming type and a lot of this stuff is beyond me, I was just wondering if you guys knew...

1) Why don't we have 128-bit Operating Systems yet? Or if we do, why aren't they more mainstream?
    2) What kinds of benefits would we see with that?
    3) Is it even worth it?
    With a 128bit OS you'd need a 128bit CPU, but what is this "bits" in a CPU?

This is the width of the binary number that it can natively handle in a single operation/instruction, and/or fit within a general purpose register. a 64-bit processor can operate directly on values which are 64 bits wide, in a single instruction. 64bits wide means 2^64, it is a high as fuck number.

To justify a 128 bit ALU, we have to find a significant problem or usage that can benefit from manipulating 128 bit words in single instructions. There might exist some nowadays, however these are already handled with special purpose instruction sets like SSE, but even then there aren't enough of such problems and manufacturers don't feel like they'd be able to be lucrative with a 128bit CPU when we arguably don't need it yet and the investment to produce one wouldn't be trivial.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, okay. Cool! Thanks!

I realized last night... or this morning, that I forgot to update my laptop to Windows 10.

Oops. Oh well.
    "A flower.

I realized last night... or this morning, that I forgot to update my laptop to Windows 10.

Oops. Oh well.
    I can't confirm that this works, but I forgot as well, and saw this article.

For the general public, the free upgrade offer for Windows 10 ends on July 29. However, if you use assistive technologies, you can still get the free upgrade offer even after the general public deadline expires as Microsoft continues our efforts to improve the Windows 10 experience for people who use these technologies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    I can't confirm that this works, but I forgot as well, and saw this article.
    I love all the Binding of Isaac on your profile. <3

Do you like Rebirth/Afterbirth?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand I just clicked on your siggy.

I'm going to guess you hate the game. Yep.
    "A flower.

*Isaac*
    Why thank you, The Binding of Isaac is great (Greed mode best mode). I will say that there were definitely times I didn't like it while playing, though.

I basically played it enough to burn myself out of it, but I got 100% of the achievements, which is no minor feat.

What about yourself?

Also, did you check out the link (for Windows 10)? Did it work for you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Why thank you, The Binding of Isaac is great (Greed mode best mode). I will say that there were definitely times I didn't like it while playing, though.

I basically played it enough to burn myself out of it, but I got 100% of the achievements, which is no minor feat.

What about yourself?

Also, did you check out the link (for Windows 10)? Did it work for you?
    I'll maybe check it later. I barely ever use my laptop, fwiw.

I've gotten burned out of BoI myself, personally, but I really miss the art style and music of the original. =/ There was something more... less about it, if you get my drift.

Never quite got 100% in Rebirth/Afterbirth, it was really frustrating.

Fuck Lost. -_-
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why's the TV market so shitty.

Trying to hype myself up to buy my first TV in like 10 years and I'm just getting so frustrated about this stuff. Who thought that naming a product by fifteen random letters and numbers was a good idea? And for that matter.. different product numbers in different countries? Seriously?

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish it was easier to find good TVs that are actually comparable in quality to high-end computer monitors.

Either they end being gobs of money or are impossible to find. =/
    "A flower.

Yeah, that stuff is incredibly frustrating, Ghazh. I wound up eventually getting a TV, but I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what to buy and where... built this sheet for it lol just to compare shit.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...PZ0pYncCk/edit

Even that is so flawed. So many TVs missing info...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Yeah, that stuff is incredibly frustrating, Ghazh. I wound up eventually getting a TV, but I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what to buy and where... built this sheet for it lol just to compare shit.

Poor LG getting beaten up. :P
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post

Hmm. Interesting. What do the values for "input" column represent?

I've gone trough the most rigorous research process and yesterday when I walked in to a shop to see them side by side it made me question the life itself. Most of the same priced models look pretty much the same picture wise with only very minor differences. Am I making this too hard for myself?

The thing that bothers me the most is the scarcity of reviews for the newest models especially in the lower price range. Can't just bring myself in to buying something this blindly.

Out of curiosity, what did you end up buying?

Poor LG getting beaten up. :P
    Lowest cost per inch at 65'' bracket. Coincidentally the size I'm looking for.. Although it's the last year's model.
    Last edited by Ghâzh; 2016-08-04 at 06:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kind of feel like I should figure out a way to make a solid benchmark for WoW, like my own personal one, the only thing in it that would change would be the GPU.

I have a still, sort of working 560 Ti (one fan is dead), a 760, and a 970. Hell, I even have an ooooold AMD Radeon, I believe it's a 5xxx series. I'll have to double check and remind myself what it is, got it from a friend for free.

With an overclocked i7-5820K, we can pretty much know that the CPU bottleneck will mostly be taken care of and I'll focus more on graphically intensive areas, like newer zones. I'll also run different resolutions for each GPU.

Thinking it could be a set run through a certain zone or five, and maybe, just maybe, some LFR or something for a raid environment. I'll benchmark a very specific boss encounter.

I'd benchmark the FPS with Fraps' Benchmarking tool.

What do you guys think?
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just pester @Artorius, he bothers with TVs! I just bother with monitors. >.>

I kind of feel like I should figure out a way to make a solid benchmark for WoW, like my own personal one, the only thing in it that would change would be the GPU.

I have a still, sort of working 560 Ti (one fan is dead), a 760, and a 970. Hell, I even have an ooooold AMD Radeon, I believe it's a 5xxx series. I'll have to double check and remind myself what it is, got it from a friend for free.

With an overclocked i7-5820K, we can pretty much know that the CPU bottleneck will mostly be taken care of and I'll focus more on graphically intensive areas, like newer zones. I'll also run different resolutions for each GPU.

Thinking it could be a set run through a certain zone or five, and maybe, just maybe, some LFR or something for a raid environment. I'll benchmark a very specific boss encounter.

I'd benchmark the FPS with Fraps' Benchmarking tool.

What do you guys think?
    I think that doing the same fight on LFR 3 times should give you a halfway decent estimation of performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I think that doing the same fight on LFR 3 times should give you a halfway decent estimation of performance.
    MOAR! NEED MAOR

I still have a reference 560Ti, my god that thing is loud...

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    MOAR! NEED MAOR

I still have a reference 560Ti, my god that thing is loud...
    I'm holding out for Vega. And then one of those 144Hz FreeSync 21:9 monitors that might even have HDR support. Going to be an expensive winter :/

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't expect HDR yet out of monitors, not for a while anyways. I'm oddly still happy with my current monitors. I wanted the FS2735 but then later it was like... do I really need it... nope.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would HDR benefit a game like WoW at all? Would WoW have to be recoded? I'm intrigued at how HDR works with games.

Or would it literally just let darker darks and lighter lights be shown on a monitor, basically with much higher dynamic range?
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll get some advantages like the higher color depth (10bit, nice for gradient and accuracy) and contrast, but largely you'll get over saturation and that's about it. You need to design something with HDR in mind for it to be make any real difference. Some people like over saturation though. Sweetfx for example does that.