Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    A rumour is a rumour, if Microsoft does that they Playstation 4 is going to downright win over Xbox 720, it's illogical and I'm betting my underpants that's not going to happen.

IGN is a whore, they only post such stuff to get more ad money.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

anything you hear about the xbox is a rumor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amorise View Post
    Pretty much their way of combatting second hand video game sales. Nothing more, nothing less no matter how much of a fancy spin they put on it.

Companies like EA have been trying to find ways to get their product around second hand game sales and encourage people to buy direct instead of used. MS is just expanding on that in a more extreme way. They don't make anything from used sales so they want everyone to pay top dollar to buy direct. They forget though that not everyone has 60 bucks to shell out on their piece of crap of the month. Many of which don't even have pre playable demos anymore which makes purchasing games more of a gamble these days. You're paying too much for too little, so many are going the route of used games a year down the line and getting it for a fraction of the price.
    This ^ is one of the main reasons why I have nearly stopped playing console games.

You can get nearly every console game ever from any console on computer these days & if you can't get one that's made for the computer you can always get an emulator.

That & if all else fails you can always ahem get an unofficial copy or demo before you decide if the game is worth the money.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by ethzero View Post
    The prices have nothing to do with used games sales or physical packaging, believe me.

That's the idea.
    Well it should. Logically a physical copy costs more to produce than a digital copy. (I realize that a disc and case don't cost much) and I see it as the reason the price is so high is because multiple people can use a game. EG: if a 60$ game is used by 2 people (because they are accounting for the fact that other won't buy from them) then a digital copy that only 1 person should use should be less. I know that is not how it works, but if I can't share a game/resell a game/buy a used game then it should realistically ccost less

I really hope that this doesn't go any farther than it being a rumor because for a console to be download content only would be handicapping itself. The second hand market is something that really gets me to get games for a console over the PC. If it becomes download only, then I might as well move to the PC. The PC market is already at the point where you don't ever have to buy an actual physical copy, and it works because of DRM like Steam that makes it feel like you actually own a product even though it's digital.

I think the no-drive rumor might end up being for a Microsoft 2.5 console, meaning that it won't be the next Xbox 360, but it will be something in between. I just find it really hard to reason out how downloadable content only can work for a console.

Whether it's a rumor or not, it's absolutely foolish to believe that even if they do go this route the prices on games would change at all.

Download only does mean you only need to buy it once and you cant damage the disc. and as far as i know the companies are getting paid for those downloads

You people really need to read this article better, no where did it say in the rumor that its going to download only so stop spazzing about it for shits sake. The writer, being an IGN idiot as ussuall tossed his own spin saying that download only would be a bad move, the rumor was, NO DISC DRIVE, and REMOVEABLE MEMORY FOR GAMES. No download only so for fucks sake please stop acting like that was part of the rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by Viertel View Post
    Whether it's a rumor or not, it's absolutely foolish to believe that even if they do go this route the prices on games would change at all.
    Correct; most new blockbuster games retail for $60 on services like Steam, same price as the console versions which are hard copies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by paxx0r View Post
    On the good side, this would reduce price alot. There would be almost no real cost for selling the game(no packing, transport, middle hands...) and that would give us more money to buy games and it would be alot better for the environment.
    Your making the assumption that a business would reduce the price because they are not incuring cost's. I am willing to bet that this will be highly unlikely. Simply put, why would a business who's sole goal is to make money for the share holders reduce the price of a product because packaging is not needed. They know that the market is willing to pay an amount for an item, reducing the cost to them of the item via the removal of packaging, discs, distribution etc, whilst keeping the current price means that they will make more money.

its a double edged sword the digtal distribution system. if they ever go compleatly digital, then it will be the death of the high street games stores, leading to less people actually buying games due to them not having the bandwidth capabilites to make it worth while and putting people out of work, however it would also slow down the sales of second hand games which the companies never make any money from.

I understand why there looking at doing it. but I also think that they are being very narrow minded if they think people will put up with it for very long. Like many people have said I have also downloaded a lot of my games directly. but I really do like seeing my self full of games. I like the packaging and I like to know that incase of my net being down for any reasons I have the option of installing a game and not have to rely on waiting for my net to come up and then download it.

I understand why there looking at doing it.
    They are not looking at doing it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakudjo View Post
    It most certainly is the future. Most areas with gaming now have a permanent, decently fast connection. Also, direct downloads are much cheaper - we may be seeing a price drop on games, since disc printing and packaging isn't part of the package anymore.

See: Wii, Steam, Xbox 360, PS3.

The Wii (and 3DS!) now has Virtual Console, though it may not be a direct copy of YOUR game and save, allows you to play most (or all, if it's softmodded) of the games from the NES all the way to the N64 era. Still backwards compatible.

The Xbox 360 is backwards compatible with the Xbox (which, by the way, came out 11 years ago). The old Live servers are all down, although they should patch them on the 360 to allow client hosting.

The PS3 is not only backwards compatible with PS2 and PS1 games, but I've heard you can download them as well? I don't own a PS3 myself, so my knowledge of it is hazy.

Steam. You can STILL download and play games that are many years past production to this date. Want to play the original Sonic the Hedgehog (21 years ago)? It's on Steam for purchase! Not only do purchases of these games get marked down because there's no hardware, but the developers get a share of the profit too because they're not used copies (which the developers see none of).

The only issue I have with the Go is that it's a handheld, which is meant to be portable. We don't have full-city 4G in most places yet, so internet connections are limited to home (where most players will be gaming) and gaming cafes (which I think exist everywhere but the US?)
    Actually no, not all original xbox games will run on 360, I have at least 10 games I can't play on my 360 that I have to whip my original xbox out to play. here's the list of compatable games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._with_Xbox_360

So their console is turning into a shitty PC where all you can do is download games to play them, and they will also probably have DRM...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey111 View Post
    So their console is turning into a shitty PC where all you can do is download games to play them, and they will also probably have DRM...
    No its not, read the article again this time slowley. No where does it say its going digital only. I amazes me how many of you are not reading this.

10+ Year Old Account
    meh im done with xbox and unless they make the next xboxlive free i wont be getting it

I say just put the games on a 8 or 16gig USB. The age of disc is nearing an end.

Just make a slot for a usb drive instead of a disc in the case, BAM profit.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is great and truly the way it has to go. Easier to get games don't have to go out to the store. Getting older games are that much easier because they can stock them in the store still since it is download only. No production costs for cases and etc. Stops illegal copies and what not. Why do you think Steam is so successful.

Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    I say just put the games on a 8 or 16gig USB. The age of disc is nearing an end.

Just make a slot for a usb drive instead of a disc in the case, BAM profit.
    That is basically what the article said they are doing, then the writer made some offhand coment about digital download only and everyone flew off the damn handle for no reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been digitally downloading quite a few games on the PS3. Works fine. In fact, thats how I purchased ME3. Saves having to get up and swap disc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    download only? i wont be buying it. i like buying used games, i dont like paying £30+ for an old game, used games are good, and download only is going to screw over people who have slower internet, like me, takes long enough downloading games on steam so i rarely use it.
    they will sell the game at whatever price will land them a larger profit.

50 games sold at $100 is not as good as 300 games sold at $25
    dictated but not read.