2v2 - Disc/Mage vs Resto Sham/Affli Lock

Hi there I'm the Priest in the team and I've got a question regarding how to deal with a 2v2 team with a Resto Shaman and an Affliction Warlock.

I can tank the damage fine and keep my friend up, but being defensive is boring. Shamans at the moment seem to have no problem keeping themselves on 100% mana all the time, and the tremors are a bitch.

I'm still learning this class, since I've been playing a rogue for 7 years, but I'd say I'm getting the hang of it. 14 wins 3 losses (1 crash, 1 through the floor bug in dalaran). Well low rating anyway.

1) If I focus on LoSing, I can keep my friend up but that shaman out heals my mage.
    2) Try to harass with mana burns. I might be lucky getting one or two in. It really doesn't have to take much skill in order to avoid them. Every now and then I can get a fear in or my friend can deep him, but GG he got 100% in 3sec again.
    3) Help DPS on lock while CCing the shaman (poly, fear, MC, war stomp, etc)
    4) A combination of all 1, 2 and 3.

No matter what I do, I can't wish for anything but a game draw here.

Anyone with experience with this combo who want to share some tips?

I've keybounded all abilities, got focus casts done, no problem keeping my mage up, I'm aware of incoming fears and trying to deal with them with fast Fear Wards. I've got an eye on Polymorphs and I get my fears in without clipping. I'm trying to harass with MC and mana burns. Using my inner focus for free casts. Keeping shields up and PoM, renew some time. Dispelling my shadowfiend if needed.

Looking forward to your reply
    - Alex

Armory:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...hilde/advanced
    Disclaimer: I started playing this character during end of vicious season, I've played the games you see of our 2v2 without mic nor addons (sitting at another computer, and we practically only lost 1 game vs a resto sham/affli lock)
    One major thing to improve would getting home and playing with mic and addons, but I can't see how that should be the factor that would make us win.
    Last edited by Nialyah; 2012-03-13 at 09:49 AM.

Resto/affliction teams aren't easy to beat, but they really shouldn't ever beat you either. Your team has the advantage when it comes to actually landing a kill.

CCing the shaman definitely won't work unless he's terrible. Between LoS, grounding, wind shear, tremor, and wolfing MC, you just won't get a solid control chain with a priest/mage. Going through the motions can sometimes keep him busy while you try to burst, but odds of it happening are pretty low. At a realistic best, you might be able to get a trinket out of him.

All you can really hope for is a burst on the shaman at some point. At least in my experience, if you ever land a kill it will almost certainly be on the healer. Unfortunately, I believe you might have to be a melee to pull it off consistently. A single caster is usually just too easy to shrug off with LoS. Regardless, have your mage try to burn him at some point when he has veins and deep. Help him out with dispels. Shaman don't have anywhere near the level of trash buffs a priest does, and without wiping wolf he'll LoS and freecast too easily. And I guess you have to hope for a CS to land sometime during this. If he misses the kick, you're probably screwed and have to wait on CDs to try again.

Honestly, you're probably not missing anything. It's just the state of 2s right now. They'll draw games on you pretty easily, but you really have to get outplayed to actually lose to resto/afflic when you're also a healer comp.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why I seriously prefer playing with a DK or Feral as Disc. It is way more fun to be Disc with a melee, because you can follow right along side them and heal while putting out 100% preassure vs and healer team, without losing any decent CC.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Serix69 View Post
    This is why I seriously prefer playing with a DK or Feral as Disc. It is way more fun to be Disc with a melee, because you can follow right along side them and heal while putting out 100% preassure vs and healer team, without losing any decent CC.
    Melee/disc has even bigger issues killing the resto shaman with a warlock peeling. Just keep on pressing the shaman with swaps on the warlock if position is good. Eventually you draw or he makes a mistake which will be his downfall. Aside from RoV the shaman can force the draw if he wants to.

it's a soft counter, unless you want a 20 min+ game just to cap, i'd advice you to leave the arena.
    if you really insist on trying, then go for the shaman.
    save deep for shaman+fear on lock+pet. try to get some mana burns off etc, it's always helpful.

Thanks for the suggestions. We weren't losing untill I got feared into and through the wall in Dalaran Sewers, got under the ground and magically appeared in the middle of the arena some time later, but too late as they took advantage and burned my friend down.

I guess it's the state of 2's - Just wondered if there were some core element that I missed

Restosham/Afflock is that combo in 2's that can never kill you, but you can't kill them, only dk/warrior comps can beat that setup, and you're a mage comp, from the very start(because of lock/sham synergy(overpoweredness)) you have little to no chance.
    afflocks that cry about balance in pvp make me sad.

It's not really that hard to burn the shaman out.

Can easily get fear on lock/pet or fear pet sheep lock while deep shaman and get 2-3 burns in, can follow up with a blanket on sham as well for another 1-2, he probably wont tremor 5s into a fear that isn't even on him, and your mage can lance grounding.

The question is, will OOMing the shaman actually help you, to which the answer is probably no, not really.

Lame comp to fight.

I hate anyone who plays that comp...ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Nereth View Post
    The question is, will OOMing the shaman actually help you, to which the answer is probably no, not really.
    Out of curiosity, why not?

On another note, OP, why is your rating so low when you've got a decent amount of wins?

rsham/aff is the king of 2s. as a mage/priest it's incredibly difficult to beat them and i would even go as far to say that they counter you completely. if they're low rating which you are at just gib the shaman. at 2.2k+ just leave and dont even bother.

It's too easy for them to get mana back that it doesnt even matter because mages don't put out that much pressure, just a lot of burst every now and then
    this game sucks

Quote Originally Posted by rektlol View Post
    rsham/aff is the king of 2s. as a mage/priest it's incredibly difficult to beat them and i would even go as far to say that they counter you completely. if they're low rating which you are at just gib the shaman. at 2.2k+ just leave and dont even bother.
    What if you get a good CC chain on the Shaman with tremor and interrupts down? Still no?

You're right about low ratings btw, OOMing Shaman seems to work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Running Mage/Disc this expansion is like banging your head against a wall against certain comps, I realized it's just not worth the headache. I ran Mage/Disc through almost all of WotLK with some really great success but in this expansion it's different. I don't know how you're even surviving against cheap melee comps like Rogue/DK, Feral/Rogue, etc who can essentially explode you while being immune to mage CC.

It's a guaranteed loss/draw against any half-decent lock+rsham team and there's really nothing you can do about it. All the lock has to do is rotate fears and DoTs endlessly until either you go OOM or one of you dies through the sheer pressure of UA. The Windshear nerf helped somewhat but it still doesn't change the situation by too much, the shaman can still ruin your day with grounding/windshear and Spirit Link is a godly ability.
    The mage pet is especially funny because it dies through 1-2 DoT cycles and your mage partner will be crippled without the pet to line up any kind of burst.
    I remember when Rogues were actually a viable focus target and catching one out in the open meant hell. Now thanks to things like Recup, Smokebomb and the improved Vanish it's almost futile to try and kill a Rogue.

You would be doing your friend a favor by going Shadow. Double DPS is more viable than it has ever been because of the health boost in Cata.

Quote Originally Posted by Mican17 View Post
    What if you get a good CC chain on the Shaman with tremor and interrupts down? Still no?

You're right about low ratings btw, OOMing Shaman seems to work.
    The lock will also need to have some health missing because they passively mitigate a ton of damage. Stuff like Spell Lock and Howl/Deathcoil will need to be on cooldown as well. If you manage to align the stars like that then you could probably kill the lock. Realistically it's borderline impossible to pull that off, you would have better luck trying to OOM the shaman. I don't know how though, priests run out of mana faster than any other healer while rShams are incredibly mana efficient. Over the course of the round the warlock will have done FAR more damage than a frostmage ever could.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-03-14 at 03:39 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Nialyah View Post
    No matter what I do, I can't wish for anything but a game draw here.
    That's what mage/priest vs lock/shaman is about unless both go at each other recklessly. It's either priest LoSing locks DoTs with occasional shield/pom/renew being enough to keep mage up, or lock saving his counterspell for every DF completly screwing mages kill chance. Only advice from me would be going at them with everything you have in first couple minutes of game, trying to land good fear on lock/pet and then help your mage with mindspike/mindblast/shadowfiend on healer. It's either fast game if you go all out where you have a slight chance to drop shaman, or 45 min stalemate ending with lost points for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mican17 View Post
    I hate anyone who plays that comp...ugh.

On another note, OP, why is your rating so low when you've got a decent amount of wins?
    Their mmr is low