Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Yeah needing to have facebook to participate in ~99% of the beta key giveaways is pretty sucky. Atleast we wont need failbook to play the final game (hopefully).

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    I don't think there have been any personal court cases where Facebook has been found to have personally leaked private data as a means for personal investigation that wasn't government-authorized. Obviously your private data is open to the US Government (with good reason). Data-mining tools are usually the biggest cause for concern, with the argument being that people don't want their information shared with other companies.

The problem I have with that argument is it really doesn't work the way people think it does -- Facebook doesn't compile some package of every piece of information it could find on Job Smith and hand it off to companies. Obviously this is accomplished different for every program that's used, but the gist of it is a program can find key words, location(not necessarily associated with facebook), etc and associate them with related things. For example, if you post a lot about WoW, you're more likely to see advertisements for video games (and probably MMO's). The way it's decided that you see those advertisements isn't handled by people who view data. It's a large set of "smart" programs that figure out what you may like (to varying degrees of accuracy) based on data that's passed into them.
    A few tricky things in your post. I'm not an American citizen, but I agree to some extent that the government should be able to view what you do on the internet, but only if there would be a reason to view this information. Not just, because it's the government, but also with good reason.

Cookies are a common thing on the internet and not all of them are friendly. Datamining isn't new, but if I can prevent datamining by staying away from FaceBook, I will. There haven't been personal court cases, because it's Facebook. You might win against a MCDonalds, but you can't beat a company that deals in information on the internet. No lawyer or private investigator can hope to expose illegal practices on the internet, if no physical interaction is taking place, unless you have an insider. Edit: And with that, you cannot prove your claim that there isn't actually a package being made of your information.

http://communications-media.lawyers....cy-Issues.html
    http://classactionlawsuitsinthenews....r-information/
    http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/129309/

Also interesting to read (although unrelated to Facebook being sued, I simply encountered it while looking):
    http://www.idonotwanttobeyourlawyer....njury-lawsuit/
    Last edited by Vespian; 2012-03-13 at 09:10 AM.

They only information that is released is what you want released. Any datamining done is also done by many other online sites and I bet I could find several in your history or bookmarks that take just as much if not more information (Google for example). It's time to take the tinfoil hat off and realize if you're careful, the super secret corporations out to steal peoples identities is nothing to worry about.

That being said, nothing is stopping you from creating a fake Facebook account just so you can "like" certain things and make sure you don't miss out on whatever they decide to give away on Facebook only. It's the same thing as some sites require you to be a member to see or participate in certain things.

So you refuse to use a service ( for whatever reason ) and then complain that you dont get the benefits from said service ?

No matter where you stand on the entire privacy and tinfoil discussion. This just isnt right. Companies use FB for advertising because many people like it and many people use it and it's easy and free to advertise there. They make fan pages that you can "like" because it's very easy to spread information there. If you dont want to use it, that is your decision. But dont expect to get the benefits if you dont participate...
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Quote Originally Posted by Ogretron View Post
    They only information that is released is what you want released. Any datamining done is also done by many other online sites and I bet I could find several in your history or bookmarks that take just as much if not more information (Google for example). It's time to take the tinfoil hat off and realize if you're careful, the super secret corporations out to steal peoples identities is nothing to worry about.

That being said, nothing is stopping you from creating a fake Facebook account just so you can "like" certain things and make sure you don't miss out on whatever they decide to give away on Facebook only. It's the same thing as some sites require you to be a member to see or participate in certain things.
    I'm aware of how I could deal with it, I'm simply wondering why I should feel forced to do so. Once more, the whole privacy thing is only one part of the story. If Facebook would just stay in its social media corner and out of the rest of the internet, you wouldn't hear me about them. My original post also makes this pretty clear. I've just been deviating from my intended path.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
    So you refuse to use a service ( for whatever reason ) and then complain that you dont get the benefits from said service ?

No matter where you stand on the entire privacy and tinfoil discussion. This just isnt right. Companies use FB for advertising because many people like it and many people use it and it's easy and free to advertise there. They make fan pages that you can "like" because it's very easy to spread information there. If you dont want to use it, that is your decision. But dont expect to get the benefits if you dont participate...
    Ah! the first post of the type that I was originally expecting. You have missed the point dear sir. I'm simply wondering why everything is becoming infested/invested (both apply oO) with Facebook to such an extent that the only option becomes Facebook. I really don't care about liking Facebook or its benefits, but Facebook is pulling away all the goodies from the non-FBers. That's a worrying trend.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2012-03-13 at 09:22 AM.

You people and your pointless complaints...

It's only a video and it was hosted on a couple sources quickly after people started discovering it.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    You people and your pointless complaints...

It's only a video and it was hosted on a couple sources quickly after people started discovering it.
    In short, not about the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Ah! the first post of the type that I was originally expecting. You have missed the point dear sir. I'm simply wondering why everything is becoming infested/invested (both apply oO) with Facebook to such an extent that the only option becomes Facebook. I really don't care about liking Facebook or its benefits, but Facebook is pulling away all the goodies from the non-FBers.
    You didnt realy read what i wrote, right ?

Let me quote myself.

Companies use FB for advertising because many people like it and many people use it and it's easy and free to advertise there. They make fan pages that you can "like" because it's very easy to spread information there.
    If FB advertising were the only form by now, why do you still see advertisement in papers, magazines, tv, pop ups etc etc ? It's not as bad as you try to make it. Just because YOU dont like FB does not mean that the entire world is infested by now. That's just your negative way of saying that many people around the world enjoy FB by now. If you didnt like cars, you would say that the entire world is infested by cars by now.

In short : you are making mountains out of mole hills just because you dont like FB.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

The difference is, Facebook is an opt-in service unlike TV or Radio. If an advert comes on to radio, you listen to it, then can act on it. If an advert comes on to Facebook, suddenly if you do act on it, Facebook re-orientates it's entire site towards your new action, or "like".

My wife was getting adverts about "finding girls for girls" because she clicked on something silly one day.

It's not the content the OP opposes, it's the delivery method. FB is far from a passive delivery method, and who knows what information FB sells to third parties. FB has a poor track record when it comes to privacy issues.

I don't think the OP would have an issue sharing information directly with the company, it's when you involve another party (FB) that he has an issue with. Mostly due to the fact that the other company often shares the information with even more companies for it's own benefit/profit. There's no tinfoil hat needed, it's not a conspiracy. It's actuality. The conspiracy is that FB does it maliciously. The truth is much darker - they do it wantonly and without care.

In short, not about the video.
    In any other case, if you're gonna complain about it then you don't care very much about what you get out of it.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hate Facebook because nearly every friend I have/had latched on to it like a solid gold teet. The only two people who call me are my wife and my investment broker (and he kind of has to). Everyone else just FB's me...not even a phone call on my birthday...from family.

OP is a lot nicer about FB than I am.

In short : you are making mountains out of mole hills just because you dont like FB.
    I said in my OP,twice, that I was ranting. I also said I respect your opinion and said that it's not about Facebook being evil. I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill (is that a genuine expression, it's kinda cool?), because I wanted to see how other people feel. Thanks for sharing your view

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbletrance View Post
    It's not the content the OP opposes, it's the delivery method. FB is far from a passive delivery method, and who knows what information FB sells to third parties. FB has a poor track record when it comes to privacy issues.

I don't think the OP would have an issue sharing information directly with the company, it's when you involve another party (FB) that he has an issue with. Mostly due to the fact that the other company often shares the information with even more companies for it's own benefit/profit. There's no tinfoil hat needed, it's not a conspiracy. It's actuality. The conspiracy is that FB does it maliciously. The truth is much darker - they do it wantonly and without care.
    Nobody knows. So stop spreading assumptions. You dont have a single fact that you can prove anything with. Put your tinfil hat back on and come back when you have some actual information to share, not just your dreams.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Nobody knows. So stop spreading assumptions. You dont have a single fact that you can prove anything with. Put your tinfil hat back on and come back when you have some actual information to share, not just your dreams.
    Assuming we both know nothing, wouldn't it be wiser to be cautious than naive? That's meant objectively, not as an insult.

For the record, the links I provided about Facebook will give you a tad bit of an insight of some lawsuits against FB for exactly the reason you deny has happened. As a result, Facebook had to alter her security policy, even though it's still only a charade.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2012-03-13 at 09:38 AM.

Spam filters stop a lot of promotional news.
    Postal system is expensive.
    Tv/Radio/Newspapers are slower.

Facebook is a fast, cheap and efficient way of getting the message out. If you don't like Facebook it's fine, I dont like many adverts on tv. However demeaning facebook is the same as slagging off the telly for showing you the same commercial four times in an hour... it wont do you any good whatsoever.

I said in my OP,twice, that I was ranting. I also said I respect your opinion and said that it's not about Facebook being evil. I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill (is that a genuine expression, it's kinda cool?), because I wanted to see how other people feel. Thanks for sharing your view
    Yeah, it's a genuine expression

To be honest, I actualy agree with you as far as I dont like those "like us to see our contend" advertisements at all. It stinks of desperation, i never ever klick those. I only like stuff after I have seen it and actualy liked it.

But still I can understand why companies do it, it's easy and almost free. And many people have FB by now. FB advertising is like getting a free slot in the superbowl airtime ^^
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Cookies are a common thing on the internet and not all of them are friendly. Datamining isn't new, but if I can prevent datamining by staying away from FaceBook, I will. There haven't been personal court cases, because it's Facebook. You might win against a MCDonalds, but you can't beat a company that deals in information on the internet. No lawyer or private investigator can hope to expose illegal practices on the internet, if no physical interaction is taking place, unless you have an insider. Edit: And with that, you cannot prove your claim that there isn't actually a package being made of your information.

http://communications-media.lawyers....cy-Issues.html
    http://classactionlawsuitsinthenews....r-information/
    http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/129309/

Also interesting to read (although unrelated to Facebook being sued, I simply encountered it while looking):
    http://www.idonotwanttobeyourlawyer....njury-lawsuit/
    The first link is something I have absolutely no sympathy for. I was a user when those specific changes rolled around, and there was a clear message about what changed and how to adjust settings when they took effect. The second guy clearly doesn't have any information suggesting that his privacy was in danger, especially considering there's no mention of a breach of contract with the user agreement. Zynga games is, again, doing nothing wrong that people haven't agreed to. Although one could make the case that "nobody reads those user agreements", ignorance of something doesn't give exception to its specifications (it's actually hilarious how many people try to pull that card in legal settings).

The last link is rather interesting, although it makes sense. Things you say in public have always been something that could be held against you, so it's only fair that the law has an extension to social networking.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand the viewpoint of not wanting anything to do with social networking for data-sharing reasons. I'm just naturally skeptical about any claims of malicious or unfair use of that data, because quite frankly most people still think there are people sniveling behind desks, inspecting every aspect of their lives in the Facebook HQ.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    The first link is something I have absolutely no sympathy for. I was a user when those specific changes rolled around, and there was a clear message about what changed and how to adjust settings when they took effect. The second guy clearly doesn't have any information suggesting that his privacy was in danger, especially considering there's no mention of a breach of contract with the user agreement. Zynga games is, again, doing nothing wrong that people haven't agreed to. Although one could make the case that "nobody reads those user agreements", ignorance of something doesn't give exception to its specifications (it's actually hilarious how many people try to pull that card in legal settings).

The last link is rather interesting, although it makes sense. Things you say in public have always been something that could be held against you, so it's only fair that the law has an extension to social networking.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand the viewpoint of not wanting anything to do with social networking for data-sharing reasons. I'm just naturally skeptical about any claims of malicious or unfair use of that data, because quite frankly most people still think there are people sniveling behind desks, inspecting every aspect of their lives in the Facebook HQ.
    I'd be more concerned about a potential employer digging through my Facebook, Twitter, and other social networking accounts to dig up information on me. There are actually businesses whose entire income is based around doing that for prospective employers.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

IF you're so paranoid op about what you might say now affecting you 20 years down the track, I'd recommend not even going on the internet altogether.

That sort of paranoia is irrational and unwarranted.

Assuming we both know nothing, wouldn't it be wiser to be cautious than naive? That's meant objectively, not as an insult.

For the record, the links I provided about Facebook will give you a tad bit of an insight of some lawsuits against FB for exactly the reason you deny has happened. As a result, Facebook had to alter her security policy, even though it's still only a charade.
    I am cautious. I can control the information I put on facebook. The stuff you can see on my FB is only stuff that I have absolutely no problem with. I coudnt care less if any random person on earth finds my profile and browses trough it. The most you will see is that i like computer games and frisbee sports. I have no problem with the entire world knowing that.

And those lawsuits actualy show that the system works. FB has Terms of Use and users agreements that are binding them, and if they break it, yes, they will be sued and have to change how they run things. If you can prove that they give out personal information to 3th parties, please sue them, they will have to change how they do busines. Key word being "if".

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    I'd be more concerned about a potential employer digging through my Facebook, Twitter, and other social networking accounts to dig up information on me. There are actually businesses whose entire income is based around doing that for prospective employers.
    So what information exactly do you have on your facebook ? Your links to al'kaida ? Pictures of you giving company secrets to the competition ? Links to the dildo you ordered on gay-man-swag.com ?

I am just curious, realy, no offence intendet. What part of your life are you so ashamed off that you wouldnt want a future employer to see it ?
    Last edited by Twoflower; 2012-03-13 at 09:45 AM.
    Ecce homo ergo elk