Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
    Nobody knows. So stop spreading assumptions. You dont have a single fact that you can prove anything with. Put your tinfil hat back on and come back when you have some actual information to share, not just your dreams.
    No dreams, here.
    http://www.financetechnews.com/how-f...-away-with-it/

http://motherboard.vice.com/2011/3/1...ur-information
    "If you have a smart-phone with contact sync or even a friend with a smart-phone, the feature has got your data. Your number is linked to your profile, whether you put it there or not.
    If you have a phone and your phone gives you the option to “call, text, email, go on Facebook, etc.” go here and find out who’s in your facebook phonebook. That’s what third-party apps and sites have access to now."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Consumer/f...ry?id=11912201
    "Facebook has acknowledged a problem with its site that reveals your name and the names of your Facebook friends to some advertisers, and potentially tracks the websites you visit online. "

Bolded part of that for you so you can read it clearly. Facebook ADMITTED it. Solid 100% fact. No opinion, there. "reveals your name...to some advertisers". Pretty clear.

If you want to test it out, create a new @yahoo or @live or @gmail email address. Sign up for Facebook.
    Friend some people, and starting "liking" things, especially advertiser things like Taco Bell.
    Watch your spam start filling your inbox.
    Last edited by Bubbletrance; 2012-03-13 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PandarianLeakage View Post
    IF you're so paranoid op about what you might say now affecting you 20 years down the track, I'd recommend not even going on the internet altogether.

That sort of paranoia is irrational and unwarranted.
    Thank god we have freedom of personality as well as speech I disagree, my work is ICT, but your opinion is noted

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    I'd be more concerned about a potential employer digging through my Facebook, Twitter, and other social networking accounts to dig up information on me. There are actually businesses whose entire income is based around doing that for prospective employers.
    As with everything, there's a tradeoff associated with social networking (and the internet in general). You get a gigantic bundle of goodies, but the tradeoff is things you post could be out in the open.

10+ Year Old Account
    So what information exactly do you have on your facebook ? Your links to al'kaida ? Pictures of you giving company secrets to the competition ? Links to the dildo you ordered on gay-man-swag.com ?

I am just curious, realy, no offence intendet. What part of your life are you so ashamed off that you wouldnt want a future employer to see it ?
    I don't use Facebook. I don't have a Facebook, or a Twitter, or any of that useless crap.

But I know that people tend to judge based on first impressions.

For example, if I were to be looking at candidates for a position and I Googled them (and I totally do) and saw they had poor punctuation, grammar, and the overall content of their wall posts or whatever were kinda spotty... it'd color my perceptions about them, and not in a negative light. If they can't take the time to write out a goddamn sentence and at least know the difference between their/they're/there, and how apostrophes work... do I really want that kind of person working in the position I'm looking to fill?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Facebook is shit. It's a well known fact.

The reason it's so popular is because it caters for the mass of morons on the internet that have to compete with others in popularity. It's the age old "I'm more popular than you" fiasco, and facebook gobbles it up and loves it.

Companies use it because it has such a larger user base that friends of friends can see what each of them is doing. So if one person gets a D3 beta key, everyone that is his friend, knows about it and strains their 2 brain cells to figure out what D3 is before clicking on the link.

My boss has already told me to get a facebook account for business reasons and I've already told him to stuff that idea where the sun doesn't shine because it's stupid.

Let the mass of morons post about their anal hemorrhoid obsession, the intelligent people don't really care. Everyone knows that facebooks security is about as tight as the elastic band around an anorexic teenage girls trousers. Social engineering has never been so easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbletrance View Post
    No dreams, here.
    http://www.financetechnews.com/how-f...-away-with-it/

http://motherboard.vice.com/2011/3/1...ur-information
    "If you have a smart-phone with contact sync or even a friend with a smart-phone, the feature has got your data. Your number is linked to your profile, whether you put it there or not.
    If you have a phone and your phone gives you the option to “call, text, email, go on Facebook, etc.” go here and find out who’s in your facebook phonebook. That’s what third-party apps and sites have access to now."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Consumer/f...ry?id=11912201
    "Facebook has acknowledged a problem with its site that reveals your name and the names of your Facebook friends to some advertisers, and potentially tracks the websites you visit online. "

Bolded part of that for you so you can read it clearly. Facebook ADMITTED it. Solid 100% fact. No opinion, there. "reveals your name...to some advertisers". Pretty clear.

If you want to test it out, create a new @yahoo or @live or @gmail email address. Sign up for Facebook.
    Friend some people, and starting "liking" things, especially advertiser things like Taco Bell.
    Watch your spam start filling your inbox.
    Cool links, better than mine

Deleted
    I love the people in bars and parties that look miserable and boring then one of their friends takes out a camera and they all pose like they were having a great and crazy time. and when i say love, i mean hate, part of me dies everytime i see this happen

For example, if I were to be looking at candidates for a position and I Googled them (and I totally do) and saw they had poor punctuation, grammar, and the overall content of their wall posts or whatever were kinda spotty... it'd color my perceptions about them, and not in a negative light. If they can't take the time to write out a goddamn sentence and at least know the difference between their/they're/there, and how apostrophes work... do I really want that kind of person working in the position I'm looking to fill?
    That's totaly ok with me. I think that I have a pretty solid english for a non native speaker. Nothing to hide here. I wish people would give me jobs based on my facebook english and not based on my work experience

Joking aside though, you kinda prove my point. As long as you do nothing wrong, you dont have anything to hide either. IF you do something wrong, like putting that picture online that shows you vomiting after a night of drinking while playing around with your best friends girlfriend, well... That's like survival of the fittest, isnt it ?
    Ecce homo ergo elk

And those lawsuits actualy show that the system works. FB has Terms of Use and users agreements that are binding them, and if they break it, yes, they will be sued and have to change how they run things. If you can prove that they give out personal information to 3th parties, please sue them, they will have to change how they do busines. Key word being "if".
    Lawsuits only work if there's incentive. It's not a crime, it's economics. Ya, sure, you could sue FB. But how much is your privacy worth? Can you prove damages? Burden of proof is on the person that files suit. Also, FB has admitted in the past that they have shared data with advertisers. ADMITTED. Want to file a class-action suit? Enjoy the $0.33 cents you'll get at the end.

So what information exactly do you have on your facebook ? Your links to al'kaida ? Pictures of you giving company secrets to the competition ? Links to the dildo you ordered on gay-man-swag.com ?

I am just curious, realy, no offence intendet. What part of your life are you so ashamed off that you wouldnt want a future employer to see it ?
    Employers can screen you out for ANYTHING. There's a "negative perceptions" clause in the company I work for. If someone higher up doesn't like you, all they have to do is link to a public picture on the internet showing you holding alcohol or at a party to HR and complain. Someone was fired for that very thing (I know, because I had to fire them).
    As the other poster stated, it can be anything that could potentially color yourself in a negative light. Maybe a different political party/religion. You can't ask those questions on an interview, but looking at someone's FB... well... it can influence your decision.
    Oh, and many background check organizations also do on-line checks as well (Facebook, Twitter, forums). If something stands out, well, just brace yourself.

Here's a reality check:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/faceb...ed-2011-5?op=1
    (and yes, some people are pretty stupid and careless, but it still goes to show that EMPLOYERS CHECK ON EMPLOYEES).

---------- Post added 2012-03-13 at 10:01 AM ----------

Joking aside though, you kinda prove my point. As long as you do nothing wrong, you dont have anything to hide either. IF you do something wrong, like putting that picture online that shows you vomiting after a night of drinking while playing around with your best friends girlfriend, well... That's like survival of the fittest, isnt it ?
    The argument "don't do anything wrong, and you have nothing to hide" has been made before. It didn't stand up then, either.

Deleted
    Facebook wants to do what AoL used to do. Filter as much of your internet activity through their interface as possible so they can farm all the information they can, whether that's data or stats. I agree entirely with the OP regarding the fact that so many marketing promotions REQUIRE you to use FB. The other thing that seriously annoys me are the number of sites (Threadless for example) that encourage you to log in to their site THROUGH FB. WHY??? WHY the hell would I EVER want to log into one site THROUGH another? what's the point??? Other than to filter my view of the internet and farm everything I do.

http://www.threadless.com/submission...e_the_Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Thirdofherne View Post
    I agree entirely with the OP regarding the fact that so many marketing promotions REQUIRE you to use FB. The other thing that seriously annoys me are the number of sites (Threadless for example) that encourage you to log in to their site THROUGH FB. WHY??? WHY the hell would I EVER want to log into one site THROUGH another? what's the point??? Other than to filter my view of the internet and farm everything I do.

http://www.threadless.com/submission...e_the_Internet
    Exactly, this is the main issue. Why, WHY, are we, am I, being forced to join something I don't want to, but have to, if I want to participate in something that's supposed to be an online community thing. Facebook isn't the entire community. Not that I cannot choose not to, but all promotions start becoming Facebook exclusives. It's appalling, frustrating and pointless.

Does Facebook have so much power over other companies? Is it just a temporary hype thing, or are we stuck with it forever?

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Exactly, this is the main issue. Why, WHY, are we, am I, being forced to join something I don't want to, but have to, if I want to participate in something that's supposed to be an online community thing. Facebook isn't the entire community. Not that I cannot choose not to, but all promotions start becoming Facebook exclusives. It's appalling, frustrating and pointless.
    How about mmo champion giving away ingame goods like pets, and to have a chance to get it you have to comment on the article. Which means that you have to sign up at mmo champion.

It's the same principle. It's going on all around the globe, in any online community. You are just bashing FB because that is the one online community you refuse to join. But it is going on everywhere. Just because it happens on FB too isnt the end of the world, it not "all" promotions are "exclusive" for FB by now. YOu are painting it waaaaay too black.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

How about mmo champion giving away ingame goods like pets, and to have a chance to get it you have to comment on the article. Which means that you have to sign up at mmo champion.

It's the same principle. It's going on all around the globe, in any online community. You are just bashing FB because that is the one online community you refuse to join. But it is going on everywhere. Just because it happens on FB too isnt the end of the world, it not "all" promotions are "exclusive" for FB by now. YOu are painting it waaaaay too black.
    Last time I checked, I didn't see MMO-champion trying to hide itself below my blog, or force me to register with them through pretty much every website I visit :P I see the shades of grey better than you do apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Last time I checked, I didn't see MMO-champion trying to hide itself below my blog, or force me to register with them through pretty much every website I visit :P I see the shades of grey better than you do apparently
    That's a different point than what you complained about in the first post, though ^^

But I get it. You dont like FB. We can fill 100 pages, it wont change your or my or anybodies mind. So there is realy no point continuing this.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

That's a different point than what you complained about in the first post, though ^^

But I get it. You dont like FB. We can fill 100 pages, it wont change your or my or anybodies mind. So there is realy no point continuing this.
    I think I specifically ended with the complaint that I was looking at a Facebook icon around every corner on the internet. How that differs from the thing I said last, is beyond me. But granted, agree to disagree then.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's totaly ok with me. I think that I have a pretty solid english for a non native speaker. Nothing to hide here. I wish people would give me jobs based on my facebook english and not based on my work experience

I agree. I'm "surviving" by avoiding the quicksand entirely

And your English is better than most native English speakers', but I'm assuming you would be conducting interviews and that sort of thing in the native language, not English
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    I fully agree with you OP. I can understand people using FB and liking it, their choice. I don't. However why do companies try to make promotions only through FB? I've seen several such things that spread contests or promotions or beta stuff only through FB. Why? Is the dawn of making your own site, or a blog gone? And no, FB users aren't only the target population, the target population is always much bigger for any product so it would make sense to make a FB promotion and a normal one for example or link from FB to a normal site where you ... do stuff to get stuff.

Now, as for me, I don't like FB because I feel it's superficial. Oh yes, you put pictures and it's nice to keep in touch with foreign friends or people who left in foreign countries... but on the other hand I have a thing called e-mail also and another called messenger. One is used when I write walls of text and another when I want to chat "live" with someone. FB is neither, you put photos and hope people will notice them. So you rarely contact them, rather you wait them to talk on your page. It's convenient that you can contact more people at once, but also superficial as by doing this, you have lots of aquaitances, but no true friends. If you think more then 1-5 people on FB are your real friends, you're fooling yourself.

That said, I also hate how some companies, when you go to a job interview, ask if you have a FB, and some actually put a minus if you don't because 'you're not sociable enough" and if you do, they visit it and use the info such as ethnicity and other such crap to think if they hire you. I feel that's a violation of intimacy of information.

Make a fake account and all this stress the OP is feeling would be avoided... if you refuse to conform with what is now the norm, then you will be either left out or have to find a way around it. Deal with it, make a fake account if it bothers you so much.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    This kind of "LIKE/SUBSCRIBE/UPVOTE ME!" thing on Youtube pisses me off, too.
    well atleast youtube have a vote down aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    I fully agree with you OP. I can understand people using FB and liking it, their choice. I don't. However why do companies try to make promotions only through FB? I've seen several such things that spread contests or promotions or beta stuff only through FB. Why? Is the dawn of making your own site, or a blog gone? And no, FB users aren't only the target population, the target population is always much bigger for any product so it would make sense to make a FB promotion and a normal one for example or link from FB to a normal site where you ... do stuff to get stuff.
    It's a promotional tool. When you 'Like' something to get a chance to win a beta key, you are promoting that site. You are in effect a walking advert. You advertise that site to your friends, who may also be gamers, and may also want in, and they go check it out.. and so on. It's not because they can't be bothered making a website. It's because facebook is a very good promotion tool. You can quickly reach a large demographic of people. And gamers typically have gaming friends.

All these 'Post this on twitter' and 'Like us on facebook' things are simply promotional tools. Rather than just give keys away for nothing, the sites get some free promotion in doing so.