Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    It was fun when you are 10.

Very grindy, but once I became a member things were so fun, I loved going out and doing the quests, exploring, doing the Stronghold of Security and lol'ing at fails, leveling up woodcutting and going back and forth to my bank, I had a lot of good memories from it.
    Miranda Rights: Miranda has the right to a decent man to help her raise her baby.

I remember when achievement capes came out.

I got 99 hp without getting any other 99's. So I had the white HP cape untrimmed, which was pretty rare.

Ah memory's.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

15+ Year Old Account
    I just see it as a childish game, everyone i knew played it when they were like 10-14. It looks terrible, plays terrible, full of bots, full of children, is extremely boring, and theres just something there i can't describe that makes me hate it so much. From my POV it is just simply a childs game, technically when i think about it, it isn't, but i still perceive it as that.

As a near maxed player on runescape its obviously kept me entertained despite the bad graphics, sluggish combat and grinding. However the game is good. Its got a fairly decent community (if you ignore half the 12 yr olds rampaging about). Also the fact that there is 20+ skills to train keeps the game fresh with different abilities and items to use as you level up the skill.

The end game (lvl 130-138) isn't the best compared to WoW where the game actually starts but its not all that bad either. you have a selection of bosses to try such as bandos and the other gods in god wars dungeons, corporal beast, nex and others. Also the minigames to require such luxury items such as the fire capes are quite challenging yet fun at the same time.

The games just outdated and if it were to be made into something graphics wise like WoW / gw2 / Swtor it would probably be up there with WoW with subs and fanbase.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played Runescape for about 3-4 years and I quit when they made horrible changes to the game. I actually enjoyed Runescape's questing system. I tried going back and playing it last summer for about a month and the game was just flat out unplayable. There was at least 5-10 bots in every training zone, market was messed up and you couldn't even compete unless you were a bot. I don't think Runescape is a ok game. I really don't have a problem with it. For everyone saying Runescape has "bad graphics" you have to keep in mind that it's a browser game using Java. I think it looks pretty good considering those factors.

Another thing great about runescape is that they don't charge you for things that are free to them. If you meet someone IRL who plays wow, your probably not going to play with them since your not on the same server. In Runescape, you can change servers at will, and play with anyone you meet.(not to mention name changing is free) It gives the runescape community a whole lot of "connectiveness."

Deleted
    RS had a much better crafting system than WoW does currently.

I say had because the insane lack of control over the economy, and never increasing the skill caps somewhat killed craftnig professions after a few years went by and too many people had the high skills to craft.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombina View Post

I say had because the insane lack of control over the economy, and never increasing the skill caps somewhat killed craftnig professions after a few years went by and too many people had the high skills to craft.
    I played RS for like 4 years (quit for WoW soon after it came out). And this was the main reason I liked it and dislike WoW now. I only quit it because WoW was new and interesting and had much better graphics, then the communism took RS over and I couldn't go back and now, well, the graphics just seem too poor.

Anyway, the definition of MMO for me is investment. This is the main thing that makes them appealing and makes grinding seem worthwhile. MMOs that keep leveling the playfield, trivializing old accomplishments and bringing out new stuff just seem dull and pointless. I mean, a game, no matter how good can only last for a few months, after that, I know everything about it's story and multiplayer becomes boring. After that, well, why would I want to keep grinding (and yes, ALL MMOs are based on grinding, it's impossible to bring out so much content that you can always do new things) if it means nothing, accomplishes nothing and is mindnumbingly boring?

RS crafting system is as close to perfection as possible. The game is just old, has poor graphics and isn't smooth. But it still has millions of active subscribes after over 10 years. And the game was made by a completely unknown company that previously made only a few Tetris-like games That alone tells something about the game.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't a bad game, people hate on it for the completely atrocious community and the fact the people hate on freemium games for no reason.

It has its own place, I do like the "lore" of it somewhat. However the combat and animations are truly atrocious, but what can you expect from a java based browser game of this magnitude?

I played for a long time in junior high - high school and even off and on in college to relieve some of the boredom of freshman classes.

What I liked about it:
    Great quests system
    Medium amount of difficulty
    Lore
    Constant development

What I disliked:
    Animations
    Graphics (now, back in the day it was okay)
    Laggy no matter what your connection speed is.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was playing runescape when i was 9 an for what it is a free mmorpg its great, members offers more but honestly you will get the same amount of fun out of it.
    Chaotic Serenity - US Frostmourne Alliance 13/13 Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    (not to mention name changing is free)
    You need to pay $8.00 a month for the ability to namechange once every 3(?) months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Left when wilderness+staking was removed for the first time.
    The combat was 95% RNG and 5% skill and training any other skill was pointless because it was all just a massive grind.

I don't know what it's like now but I frankly don't care. Runescape will always be a very simple but mega-grindy game, the kind of game which you would always be better off letting a bot do the work - because Runescape essentially makes you do a robot's job. When a game can be effectively played by an autoclicking program, it stops being a game.

Also the entire game was money-driven. Gold got you the best armor, the best weapons, the best everything, so after maxing out some stats (with an autoclicker) the entire game reduces down to who can make the most money. And people wonder why gold-farming bots ran over the entire game. Jagex practically rolled out the welcome wagon for bots when they decided to make a game that focused on grinding gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombina View Post

You're kidding right? The entire skill system in Runescape revolved around making hundreds of thousands of the same item over and over again. You never actually had to make a higher-level item because it always awarded the same experience no matter what level you were. For example, you learned to make Iron Bars at lvl 15 Smithing. After that you purchased a million Iron Ore and set your auto-clicking program (or break your wrist) to do thousands of runs from bank > forge > bank > forge till you hit your desired level. How the HELL is that good design compared to WoW? In WoW the skilling is far quicker and you can't just make 10,000 of the same grey/green item to reach max level, you're eventually have to craft blues and epics in order to level up.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-03-15 at 04:41 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Zazy View Post
    Used to play this way back. Nowadays I'd rather be watching paint dry than clicking a virtual tree 5 hours straight just to see my skill level go up by one. >.>
    This.

Game is terribly grindy, and the combat is horrible.

I just want to touch up on something i noticed no one brought up.

Theres one thing about RS that i will always enjoy that wow doesnt have. And that is the competetiveness between serious clans (rs versions of guilds). Back when i played people would join a clan, and often go around in other peoples irc channels and ask them for "wars". And a lot of times they were scheduled. Basically what these were was a set group of 10-20+ on each team and each side would pick one person on the other time to attack and kill then they pick the next etc till one team wins. While youre being attacked you use your run energy and 'kite' the attackers to make sense in wow terms and try to keep alive as long as possible using your food and prayer. This was all done in the back of the wildy before they added that pvp arena thing in the wildy that the clans migrated to using. But i prefered the wildy fights by far.

I always wondered why things dont happen like this in wow. Why dont people make groups and compete with each other purely just to see whos better? Rbgs is an example but thats objective based, where this is just who are the better fighters. Compared to rs the fights would be sooo much more complicated with the amounts of spells and abilities we have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si3O9Lwtd_M&nomobile=1

Hope that link works on desktops, but thats my old clan back in the day if anyone didnt know what i was talking about

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoughJustice View Post
    I just want to touch up on something i noticed no one brought up.

Theres one thing about RS that i will always enjoy that wow doesnt have. And that is the competetiveness between serious clans (rs versions of guilds). Back when i played people would join a clan, and often go around in other peoples irc channels and ask them for "wars". And a lot of times they were scheduled. Basically what these were was a set group of 10-20+ on each team and each side would pick one person on the other time to attack and kill then they pick the next etc till one team wins. While youre being attacked you use your run energy and 'kite' the attackers to make sense in wow terms and try to keep alive as long as possible using your food and prayer. This was all done in the back of the wildy before they added that pvp arena thing in the wildy that the clans migrated to using. But i prefered the wildy fights by far.

I always wondered why things dont happen like this in wow. Why dont people make groups and compete with each other purely just to see whos better? Rbgs is an example but thats objective based, where this is just who are the better fighters. Compared to rs the fights would be sooo much more complicated with the amounts of spells and abilities we have.
    1) Runescape isn't faction-based. Everyone can talk to everyone, everyone can kill everyone, so it was fairly easy to challenge someone's clan to a war and agree to some rules/location/etc. In WoW you just can't do that, you can't wage war on your own faction and you can't even communicate with the other faction. IRC chat became incredibly popular with Runescape, mostly due to the absolutely SHIT ingame chat and zero clan-support (which Runescape brought in later). Most WoW players never saw the need to resort to IRC, ingame chat functions were more than good enough - which indirectly meant that communication was strictly kept within the faction.

2) Battlegrounds can't even be compared to clan wars in wilderness, first of all they're instanced and secondly the matchmaking system is completely random. WoW never had a designated free-for-all killing area like the Wilderness, on PvP servers you can basically kill anyone anywhere. The closest thing to to the wilderness was Gurubashi Arena which hardly anybody used to organize group fights due to it's tiny size, remote location and lack of pillars(LoS). So the next closest thing was the World PvP that occured around Southshore/Tarren Mill and around the city entrances. But even those events weren't organized, they just occured at random and built-up from there. World PvP should make a definite come back in MoP if Blizzard does their job correctly.

Overall Runescape's clan wars were quite fun and engaging, especially since being the winner meant an inventory FULL of other people's armor/loot/etc (it used to get me so excited ). WoW never had a proper clan-war-like function mainly due to the faction restrictions. I wouldn't call it "restrictions" though, it was an incredibly clever to keep the factions constantly keep hating each other and want to kill each other at first sight. Keeping a huge communication gap between the factions was a very smart move by Blizzard
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-03-15 at 07:25 AM.

Runescape isn't bad. It's a niche game for people who played it earlier on and kept playing for nostalgia reasons. To say it's bad is lack of knowledge, really. It's highly successful and will continue to be for a long time I'd imagine.

Runescape was and always will be my favorite MMO. I began runescape around 9 years old and played it forever. Runescape classic gave me so much enjoyment playing with RL friends, staking each other, hacking each other (weird relationships with certain people, we constantly keylogged each other and took their items) and other stuff. To me, that was the first real game I played, and no game will ever give me the same enjoyment runescape did back in the day.

People complaining about its graphics, its grindyness, etc, need to look at it a different way. It's based around that. In the older days, the combat was amazing. No attack speeds, completely turn based, running away and eating, praying at an alter in the wildy, epic death matches. No other game will ever do that as good as Runescape did. When RS2 came out, I was sad. I hated the transition to "3D" and continued playing RSC. I played RSC until it was overcome with bots and Jagex stopped supporting it.

I played RS2(Now just called Runescape, obviously, since the old Runescape became RSC) for quite a while. I played it on and off during the times I played wow, and enjoyed every moment of it. Had around a level 120 legit at one point, but gave up and continued to bot him to insane levels(got around 96 magic before the wilderness came back by running orbs on my bot). It's fun for what it is, take it at face value. The quests are by far the most epic of any game I've played, the tie-ins with each other are immersing and it's fun.

Edit: I'll probably get flamed for botting, but I don't care. At that point, I did it to have fun. The game ceased to be able to hold my attention and I went solely for skill capes, just to show that prestige. Every pure botted for their skill capes since you couldn't fund your lower level characters due to no trading. It was a fun time, and every pure you ran into would chat with you about how long it took you, where you did it, etc. It was a good community in the PvP side.
    Last edited by Kolossal; 2012-03-15 at 08:14 AM. Reason: uber stuffz

Deleted
    Because the gameplay is very poor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolossal View Post
    Edit: I'll probably get flamed for botting, but I don't care. At that point, I did it to have fun. The game ceased to be able to hold my attention and I went solely for skill capes, just to show that prestige. Every pure botted for their skill capes since you couldn't fund your lower level characters due to no trading. It was a fun time, and every pure you ran into would chat with you about how long it took you, where you did it, etc. It was a good community in the PvP side.
    Calling a game "one of your favorite" and then admitting to botting your way through most of it is definitely the wrong way to prove a point -_-
    I managed to scrape my way to lvl 107 combat (99 range 95 def, range tank - I killed pures for a living ) after doing it completely manually, arrow by arrow. It was fun since I often levelled with friends and the training paid off in clan wars or solo PvP, it would take forever for people (of similar level) to kill me haha.

edit: Great, what have they done now? I can log into the web account fine but all my character stats are showing blank on hi-scores.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-03-15 at 08:31 AM.