Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Need help / tips for new build

With Ivy Bridge coming out soon I'm getting ready for a new build.

I probably won't use all of the hardware I have at the moment, except for my RAM, graphics card, SSD and HD.
    The reason for this is because I will try to sell my entire case with all my current hardware in it ( will put my old ram, videocard and HD back ), and if something is missing some people might not want to buy it and I won't get rid of my current stuff

Anyways, I was thinking of something like this:
    Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I and Cooler Master 200MM Megaflow case fan x2 to complete it
    Motherboard: MSI z77a GD55
    CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3570k (because it resembles the 2500k but with better performance and power usage )
    CPU Cooler?: Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B
    PSU: Corsair HX650W

From my current pc I will use my MSI GTX560ti, Kingston HyperX 8GB RAM, Intel 120GB SSD and Harddisk.

My questions:
    - Does anyone know if those CM Megaflow fans are for Coolermaster cases only, or if they will fit in the TT case as well?
    - Is a 650W PSU too much? This looks like a silent one, it's from a brand I'm familiar with, and it's modular, which is a great plus for me as well.
    - A lot of people recommend the Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B , but it still looks like it has an output of 40 decibel, which is quite a lot ( imo ), does anyone know of a more silent one? I'm probably not going to OC a whole lot, just a bit more GHz

Any helpful comment is very much appreciated

Are you buying those fans to replace the 200mm fans that are included? If not, then you'll need to change the size, as the only 200mm fan slots come with fans preinstalled. Everything else is either a 120mm or 140mm slot.

I don't normally recommend the Corsair HX-series, but the HX650 is manufactured by SeaSonic, so it should be okay.

I can't really weigh in on the motherboard, since it isn't technically on the market yet, but MSI is a decent MoBo manufacturer... I prefer ASRock though.

I don't know much of anything about quiet CPU fans, as noise isn't really an issue that bothers me a whole lot.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-03-13 at 05:58 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Are you buying those fans to replace the 200mm fans that are included? If not, then you'll need to change the size, as the only 200mm fan slots come with fans preinstalled. Everything else is either a 120mm or 140mm slot.
    Hmm...I thought both slots on top and the one on the side were 200mm?

I don't normally recommend the Corsair HX-series, but the HX650 is manufactured by SeaSonic, so it should be okay.

I can't really weigh in on the motherboard, since it isn't technically on the market yet, but MSI is a decent MoBo manufacturer... I prefer ASRock though.
    I just love the clickbios function of MSI botherboards, and I have one right now, so I trust them!

I don't know much of anything about quiet CPU fans, as noise isn't really an issue that bothers me a whole lot.
    Well it's not really an issue, it's just a factor which I pay a lot of attention to. The stock fan of my AMD CPU is loud as shit, which I why I'm more careful with this build :P

Quote Originally Posted by Rickz View Post
    Hmm...I thought both slots on top and the one on the side were 200mm?
    According to NewEgg, it comes with:
    - Rear: 140mm Fans: 140 x 140 x 25 mm TurboFan, 1000rpm, 16dBA
    - Front: 200 x 200 x 30 mm Colorshift Fan x 1 Included (600 - 800rpm, 13 - 15dBA)
    - Top: 200 x 200 x 30 mm Colorshift Fan x 1 Included (600 - 800rpm, 13 - 15dBA)
    And has slots for:
    - Front: 200mm Colorshift fan x 1 (included) or 120mm x 2 (optional)
    - Top: 200mm Colorshift fan x 1 (included) + 200mm x 1 (optional) or 140mm x 2 (optional) or 120mm x 2 (optional)
    - Rear: 140mm TurboFan (included) or 120mm x 1 (optional)
    - Side: 200mm x 1 (optional)
    - Bottom: 120mm x 1 (optional)
    I simplified the "has slots for" part and made it a lot easier to read and now I see that you're right, there's room for an additional 200mm fan on top and one on the side.

I just love the clickbios function of MSI botherboards, and I have one right now, so I trust them! Well it's not really an issue, it's just a factor which I pay a lot of attention to. The stock fan of my AMD CPU is loud as shit, which I why I'm more careful with this build :P
    Yeah, I understand what you're saying, I also like to stick with what I know! As for the CPU fan, I'm sure someone else can recommend a decent, quiet fan, I'm fairly certain that the NH-D14 is very quiet, but it is also quite expensive. I have the Cooler Master Hyper 212+, but I wouldn't recommend it based on how difficult it was to install.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-03-13 at 06:29 PM.

Deleted
    Hm...people from a other website are recommending me the Thermaltake SMART 450W PSU.

Is 450W enough for a build with a overclocked cpu and 1 gpu?

Deleted
    I can't recommend that one. If you're looking for cheaper (quality) alternatives I'd suggest any of these:

XFX PRO550W Core Edition - €59 Riview
    SilverStone ST50F-P - €69 (fully modular)
    OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W - €53 (Semi-modular)
    OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W - €65 (Semi-modular)

Deleted
    What do you think about this one? ( Be Quiet Pure Power 530W)
    It has 88% efficiency and is pretty silent as well, not too expensive either:
    http://nl.hardware.info/productinfo/...testresultaten

Or the Cooler Master Silent Pro 500W? 85% efficiency, same price, just a little bit louder.

If it's not on this list: http://www.overclock.net/t/183810/fa...power-supplies I don't recommend it (neither of those are on this list).

I gotta ask, why are pushing for a different PSU so badly? I can understand due diligence, but we've given you plenty of options. Cheaping out on the power supply is one of the worst things you can do in your build, no only are low quality power supplies more likely to fail, but they can also take other components with them (e.g. motherboard, video card, CPU). If you need to save money, do it elsewhere in the build.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-03-16 at 09:00 PM.

Deleted
    If it's not on this list: http://www.overclock.net/t/183810/fa...power-supplies I don't recommend it (neither of those are on this list).

I gotta ask, why are pushing for a different PSU so badly? I can understand due diligence, but we've given you plenty of options. Cheaping out on the power supply is one of the worst things you can do in your build, no only are low quality power supplies more likely to fail, but they can also take other components with them (e.g. motherboard, video card, CPU). If you need to save money, do it elsewhere in the build.
    Well, all the PSU's you guys have linked are quite loud, even at only 120W load. I'm going for a quiet build and I don't want the PSU to be the loudest part of my computer.

But thanks, will take a look at that list.

EDIT:
    Found two on that list which are pretty quiet and modular.
    The Nexus RX-5300 530W and the Seasonic M12II 520W

The Nexus has a good review, the only downside they gave is that the PEG cable is only 47 cm.

What's a PEG cable? XD

EDIT2: Oh it's a term for the PCI cable. Well 47 cm doesn't seem that short if the PSU is bottom mounted, right?
    Last edited by mmoc2be3b3a67c; 2012-03-17 at 01:12 PM.

SeaSonic (and companies who use their supplies) is the brand that I most recommend on this forum, so I'd suggest that one. I've never heard of "Nexus".
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-03-17 at 01:24 PM.

Deleted
    SeaSonic (and companies who use their supplies) is the brand that I most recommend on this forum, so I'd suggest that one. I've never heard of "Nexus".
    Ah alright, the reviews of that one do indeed look more promising.

My build will probably look something like this ( and yes I switched case, realized I didnt need a full tower :P )
    Only thing that is missing is the Ivy Bridge 3570k
    Aantal Product Prijs Subtotaal
    1 Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus € 67,30 € 67,30
    1 Cooler Master Hyper 412S € 29,30 € 29,30
    2 Cooler Master Mega Flow Blue 200mm € 12,10 € 24,20
    1 MSI Z77A-GD55 € 159,99 € 159,99
    1 Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentFan XK2 140mm € 9,00 € 9,00
    1 Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentFan XL1 120mm € 6,78 € 6,78
    1 Seasonic M12II Bronze 520W € 69,00 € 69,00
    Totaal € 365,57
    Last edited by mmoc2be3b3a67c; 2012-03-17 at 01:32 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickz View Post
    Well, all the PSU's you guys have linked are quite loud, even at only 120W load. I'm going for a quiet build and I don't want the PSU to be the loudest part of my computer.

But thanks, will take a look at that list.

EDIT:
    Found two on that list which are pretty quiet and modular.
    The Nexus RX-5300 530W and the Seasonic M12II 520W
    You do realize the XFX is based on the Seasonic S12II platform, right? Granted the one you linked (m-version) is in fact semi-modular. Where do you gather that the Silverstone PSU is loud? Oh and did I mention it's fully modular? Silverstone Review

As for the OCZ model:

Below 300W output and 30°C inlet air temperature, the ModXStream 600W PSU is virtually silent. Temperatures slowly build as the load increases and above 400W; the cooling fan starts to speed up to where it becomes noticeable but not loud. Overall, very good results.

Sound pressure level readings were taken 3’ away from the rear of the case in an otherwise quiet room. The ambient noise level was ~28 dBA

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    You do realize the XFX is based on the Seasonic S12II platform, right? Granted the one you linked (m-version) is in fact semi-modular. Where do you gather that the Silverstone PSU is loud? Oh and did I mention it's fully modular? Silverstone Review

As for the OCZ model:
    37-38 decibel at 120W load

40 decibel at 120w load

This while the Seasonic sits at about 35 decibels even at 350w load.

It doesn't state anywhere that it's semi modular though
    Which cables aren't removable then?

By the way, thanks for replying!

EDIT: Also, about the silverstone, people on the forums are not too happy about it using Taiwanese parts instead of Japanese...?
    Last edited by mmoc2be3b3a67c; 2012-03-17 at 07:10 PM.

Deleted
    The result list (no offense) looks pretty generic and I wouldn't put too much focus on it, but it's possible I'm wrong. I trust the review sites like JonnyGuru however XFX Review

35-40dB is still less than normal conversation and your GPU will easily hit those levels at load. All that said your choice of Seasonic is fine and in the same level range of the other PSU's listed. Just get whichever fits your needs the best (price/watts/modular etc.)

Check the photo tab for the Seasonic M12II 520 (semi-modular)
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2012-03-17 at 07:15 PM.

Deleted
    The result list (no offense) looks pretty generic and I wouldn't put too much focus on it, but it's possible I'm wrong. I trust the review sites like JonnyGuru however XFX Review

35-40dB is still less than normal conversation and your GPU will easily hit those levels at load. All that said your choice of Seasonic is fine and in the same level range of the other PSU's listed. Just get whichever fits your needs the best (price/watts/modular etc.)
    I'm planning to replace my GPU later this year, and if I look at ( for example ) the Sapphire 7950, it has about 36 decibels output at load.
    So I'm kind of trying to not put in any new parts that will be over that sound level.

EDIT: Ah yeah, I see it now. I can't really see which cables that are though, probably just the motherboard cable right?
    Can't find any unboxing video of it, which usually shows it off perfectly...meh.
    Last edited by mmoc2be3b3a67c; 2012-03-17 at 07:24 PM.

Deleted
    They're not loud like I have told you a few times now and they're not louder than your preferred levels, which the reviews also show. I'll just leave it at that, you're getting a fine PSU anyways.

Seasonic M12-II Bronze (SS-620GM), 620 watts

7950 Noise Levels

Deleted
    They're not loud like I have told you a few times now and they're not louder than your preferred levels, which the reviews also show. I'll just leave it at that, you're getting a fine PSU anyways.

Seasonic M12-II Bronze (SS-620GM), 620 watts

7950 Noise Levels

Yeah alright, thanks mate.

Just want to note that those are the stock fans on the 7950, and I was talking about the Sapphire aftermarket fans, which are proven to be very quiet.

Deleted
    I don't know the site doing the testing but you're right aftermarket coolers are going to be quieter and the PSU(s) will still be as low or very close. looks like AnandTech has different results but they're still really good regardless. Overall you should have a fairly quiet build and it all looks pretty good, now we just to wait for IvyBridge to launch

Power, Temperature, & Noise @AnandTech

---------- Post added 2012-03-17 at 09:38 PM ----------

Have you considered a different case? Like this one, with noise levels in mind:

Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl (USB 3.0) - €85,00 || Fractal Designs R3 Review || Extra info
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2012-03-17 at 08:39 PM.

Deleted
    [/COLOR]Have you considered a different case? Like this one, with noise levels in mind:

Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl (USB 3.0) - €85,00 || Fractal Designs R3 Review || Extra info
    Yeah I've looked at some cases, not that one though.

It looks nice and I'd have to get rid of my whole Black case and Blue lighting idea, and I'm not really sure how much sound I would "win."

Because of all the noise dampening foam and other stuff the temperatures get a lot higher ( saw a review where someone said that his cpu/gpu got 10-20 degrees higher ), so I'm not sure if a case like that would be a good idea for overclocking.

Also, it sucks that I can't remove a portion of the HDD cases to improve airflow, I only use 1 SSD and 1 HDD, I don't need 8!

Deleted
    SilverStone ST50F-P - €69 (fully modular)
    I was looking at that one yesterday, an noticed it's for sale for 60€.

So it does a bit more attractive now.. :P

Just got 1 problem. I need 4 molex for the case fans and 2 connectors for my SSD and Harddrive. ( and DVDRW I guess )

The Silverstone only has 3 connectors?

Does this mean I will have to use 2x this? ( Need 4 for fans, PSU only has 3 open spots, of which I need 1 for sata )

EDIT:
    Oh wait, looks like it has a bit more connectors than I expected:
    This power supply comes with the following cables:

Main motherboard cable with a 20/24-pin connector, 21.6” (55 cm) long
    One cable with two ATX12V connectors that together form an EPS12V connector, 21.6” (55 cm) long
    One cable with one six-pin connector and one six/eight-pin connector for video cards, 21.6” (55 cm) to the first connector, 5.9” (15 cm) between connectors
    Two cables, each with three SATA power connectors, 19.7” (50 cm) to the first connector, 5.9” (15 cm) between connectors
    One cable with three standard peripheral power connectors and one floppy disk drive power connector, 19.7” (50 cm) to the first connector, 5.9” (15 cm) between connectors
    I will need to see how 1 cable with 3 SATA connectors works out, because the DVDRW will be on the top of my case and the SSD and HDD will be on the bottom of the case

One cable with three peripheral power connectors, guess that means molex.
    Guess that means I will only need to use 1 of the splitters I linked before?
    Last edited by mmoc2be3b3a67c; 2012-03-19 at 07:14 AM.