View Poll Results: How Do You Think Guild Wars 2 Will Do?

Voters
298. This poll is closed
  • Success

253 84.90%
  • Failure

7 2.35%
  • Another “What Could Have Been” Game

38 12.75%
Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

GW2: Hero or Zero?

I will start off by saying that Guild Wars 2 looks amazing and I really can’t wait to try it. With that being said, I never played the original Guild Wars so I am relatively new to the history about the game. Within the last week I have started digging into all the different Professions ECT. As I am watching YouTube videos and checking out other information about the game, the more excited I get about it. At the same time I am starting to get these “SWTOR nightmares” of how everyone thought this would be the game of all games…..and when released it was total garbage and a huge let down ( no need to flame, this is just my opinion). But with Guild Wars 2 it appears there are a number of really cool remaps and different styles that separates it from other MMOs, and it appears that a lot of work as went into making this a very successful MMO. So long story short, do you think that Guild Wars 2 will be a success and really shine or do you think that it will be added to the long list of “what could have been “ MMOs that have came out recently?
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

I don't think (nor hope) that everybody will love Guild Wars 2.
    But for me, I think it will be a 'hero'.

i dont think gw2 will be the kind of game everyone hope it will, however i think it will be a success.
    i believe most ppl will play it casual as a game besides wow or which ever other "main-game" they play.

being that GW2 is free after you buy the box it is going to be successful. Just as successful as single player rpgs like Skyrim, Mass effect 3, Borderlands.
    Now will GW2's first expansion sell as much as the original that will tell how successful it was in the long run.

GW2 will likely be pretty successful as Anet only need to sell the box. There will be enough early interest to make bank off of if current trends/buzz are anything to go by.

A sub MMO with 300-500k players can be quite profitable for years. 500k-1m subs is highly successful in the market. Supposing Anet sell 1m boxes, they sorta won already. A monthly sub does not fund GW2.

The game looks not appealing to most RPG players, so it will devolve to relative oblivion in 6-8 month. GW 1 was in privileged condition due to absence of competition, which is not a case now. GW 2 had about 1,5 millions of players in its lifetime, which is low by current standarts.

Please don't come into threads and attempt to stir up controversy and flamefests. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-03-13 at 06:38 PM.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    GW2 will likely be pretty successful as Anet only need to sell the box. There will be enough early interest to make bank off of if current trends/buzz are anything to go by.

A sub MMO with 300-500k players can be quite profitable for years. 500k-1m subs is highly successful in the market. Supposing Anet sell 1m boxes, they sorta won already. A monthly sub does not fund GW2.
    And if the cash shop has good items, that cash shop will help fund GW2 as well.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    The game looks not appealing to most RPG players
    By what form of measurement? O_o

GW 2 had about 1,5 millions of players in its lifetime, which is low by current standarts.
    I'm assuming you mean GW1, but you're actually wrong. GW1 broke 6.5 million box sales years ago, which is definitely not low by any standard.

Even 1.5 million active players is, honestly, a success.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

GW sold 7 million copies tyvm.
    Stop with the retarded "Will it be hot or not" topics.
    Play it or don't.

Deleted
    As one of the old old old old old GW2 players i SHALL play it!!

Deleted
    The game looks not appealing to most RPG players, so it will devolve to relative oblivion in 6-8 month. GW 1 was in privileged condition due to absence of competition, which is not a case now. GW 2 had about 1,5 millions of players in its lifetime, which is low by current standarts.
    As a long time RPG player I am curious about what makes GW2 unappealing to that group. You can't possibly mean the lack of the gear treadmill because that's NOT a RPG staple.

FYI, keep it clean guys. I have no problem with threads like this but each time they've popped up the eventually go too off topic or involve too many personal attacks/too much trolling (already seen some). So this thread isn't getting much leeway before it gets shut down if it starts going bad (sorry).

GW1 was in privileged condition? If anything I would say that because it's so different they had a HUGE uphill battle. 6-8 months is also a joke, but I don't have time to get into why right now.
    Why do I run? Why do I slay? Why do I play? ...Carrots? Nay.

im not willing to call a game good or bad before i play it. been burned too many times. im willing to say im hoping its a hero for me

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally feel GW2 will be ridiculously successful. It's something new and different, and even if a person doesn't stick around and keep playing the game, he already paid for it. I imagine a lot of people WILL stick around there... precisely because it's so different from the standard model that WoW has defined... but also because ANet has been spending years refining and polishing the game in order to be sure the gameplay and content is actually enjoyable.

Why do you think so many players are fed-up with WoW? They want something new and different. They try to jump to SWTOR or Rift, only to find that it's more of the same, (and in some cases not fully refined or polished, to match up with the markets high standards), and wind up equally frustrated. People want something new, and I think GW2 will be able to provide that.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Huge success imo.

On top of that, I think it's going to be -the- definitive PvP game.

Stop comparing it to MMOs and start comparing it with other B2P games. It only needs to sell boxes to be successful.

I don't think that Guild Wars 2 is going to be a game that tries hard to appeal to the masses. I think it's just going to be it's own thing. And if people like it, it'll become popular, which is good.

How should I know, it's not out yet

It got one million betasignups in 48 hours. I think it will sell quite well once out.