Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

UK vs US slang/phrases.

After reading a few posts on 'Random questions about the UK...' thread gave me an idea.

Cant you work out what the slang/phrase means above (or others) from the other country.

Start small to progress the topic.

Full Monty?

Quote Originally Posted by Madkitty View Post
    After reading a few posts on 'Random questions about the UK...' thread gave me an idea.

Cant you work out what the slang/phrase means above (or others) from the other country.

Full Monty?
    Fully nude?

Not english or yank but I'll give it a shot.

Mits(not man boobs)
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Fully nude?
    Mits(not man boobs)
    One of them, its also another phrase for a full english breakfast.
    man boobs would never of crossed my mind tbh for mits......no idea, if its swedish i have no idea

10+ Year Old Account
    Fully nude?

Mits(not man boobs)
    Not man tits? You mean mitts? Those are hands.

Deleted
    Fully nude?

Mits(not man boobs)
    Mittens or gloves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Madkitty View Post

Full Monty?
    full monty means everything, though a lot of people think it means nothing or nude.

What about the phrase "I'll have you chewing gum out of the other side of your ass!" Heard a Scottish guy say this, I have no idea what it means. I assume it means he's gonna mess you up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    What about the phrase "I'll have you chewing gum out of the other side of your ass!" Heard a Scottish guy say this, I have no idea what it means.
    He is Scottish, hence it is mostly nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    He is Scottish, hence it is mostly nonsense.
    That's RACIST!

Deleted
    "Some chav nicked my rubbish after I chucked it in the tip! I was so gob-smacked, I coughed up the bap I was munching on and got sprog all down my front!"

Come at me from across the pond!

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    "Some chav nicked my rubbish after I chucked it in the tip! I was so gob-smacked, I coughed up the bap I was munching on and got sprog all down my front!"

Holy crap lol! That's uh, that's pretty wild haha!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post

Sprog means child or infant. What you typed made sense up until that.

Deleted
    Military coloquilaisms!

Redders!
    Brassic!
    Numpty!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, Robert is your father's brother.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had no idea that the word "fanny" has a very different meaning to you Brits than it does to us Yanks. That was an awkward moment at work.

Heroic progression raider. Incapable of using Saran Wrap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Holy crap lol! That's uh, that's pretty wild haha!
    I know, right! Just your average day in Blighty!

Actually, in Yorkshire it can mean spit too. Usually, rather unpleasant spit, at that (containing phlegm or something else equally revolting)! Yahoo! 'Sprog' Discussion >_<'
    I had actually forgotten it can mean a child too. Perhaps my usage of sprog was a little too colloquial to be fair.

Deleted
    I have a West Yorkshire accent, my relatives from the south have no idea what I'm saying. So we have plenty of ways of saying things, we often use words like 'the' very rarely, eg "Goin dahn taun" = "I'm going down to town"
    But my boyfriend and his family have a stronger accent, still using words like thee, thy and sither. I find dialects rather interesting though.

But I've always found the difference between fanny US and fanny UK rather amusing.
    And yep, the full monty means "the whole thing" like a full monty fryup would be a fryup with absolutely everything on it!

Actually, in Yorkshire it can mean spit too.
    I'd not heard of that one! What area of Yorkshire?

Someone once told me that bugger means something totally different in the UK than the US...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Someone once told me that bugger means something totally different in the UK than the US...
    I use it as another way of saying "Go away", "bugger off" has just been something I've said for a long time now.

We sometimes refer if something's a pain or an annoyance as a "toe". How odd.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aianne View Post
    I'd not heard of that one! What area of Yorkshire?
    Hmmm... After a fairly thorough search (by internet standards), only that Yahoo! discussion I linked in my explanatory post actually references using 'sprog' as spit. It would seem that it is fairly narrow in its area of usage in that context. Perhaps only around Leeds and York? Interesting.

Amusingly, apparently 'sprog' is used in Australia as slang for 'male-specific fluid'! http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sprog xD