Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    This deserves a requote for truth.

US pays the same amount, base cost plus taxes. The only difference is because taxes vary in that single country, US prices are displayed without taxes, and all others are with taxes. Still the same price. Roughly.

No conspiracy here, nothing to protest.

Edit: Good reading here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_eva...nd_sales_taxes
    Care to explain why the UK pays 30% extra on Digital editions and 37% extra on CE then?

As for this quote

Quote Originally Posted by nagina View Post
    Only children cry over prices...
    Children don't care about prices because they spend someone else's hard earned money on it.
    Adults voice their concerns over what they feel is unfair, because otherwise nothing will be done to stop it escalating.

---------- Post added 2012-03-15 at 06:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    Every few years prices goes up by £5. People get sick of constant price increases and some turn to pirating. Then the companies come back with "that's the reason the prices are going up"
    I don't think that's true. I've been paying the same price (or less) for brand new video games since the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    What happened to 30-40 dollar games?
    Well lets see Shank 2 is $10, Trine 2 is $15, Binding of Isaac is $5... there are tons of games in the $5-15 range. But if your looking for "big name publisher" games for $30 at launch you need to go back to about 1989, but if you take into inflation that game that cost you $30 in 1989 is the equivalent of spending $55 today. $40 in 1995 is like $59.50 today... game prices have not really increased all that much and in several cases decreased over the last 30 years if you account for inflation.

No one ever said GW2 would be $30, anyone expecting it to cost less then a "big name publisher" single player game seems quit delusional, I am not certain how much GW1 came out at 6 years ago but I believe it was about $50 which $50 in 2006 is like $56 now so again not really any price difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyhacker View Post
    No one ever said GW2 would be $30, anyone expecting it to cost less then a "big name publisher" single player game seems quit delusional, I am not certain how much GW1 came out at 6 years ago but I believe it was about $50 which $50 in 2006 is like $56 now so again not really any price difference.
    pc games here cost 45€ with box!
    last game i bought was gta4 pc for 45€ which included a big poster map, some papers, the plastic box and 2 dvds.. the online price should be cheaper 5€ minimum!

f*cking greedy pigs

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    I don't think that's true. I've been paying the same price (or less) for brand new video games since the 90s.
    Not sure where you are from, but in the UK around 10 years ago games were £20-30 new. Console games also were the same as PC games.
    Around 6 years ago consoles games went up to £40 making them £10 more than PC games.
    Slowly PC games have caught up with consoles and new PC games can be up to £40 with console games reaching £50 for some titles.

Its just getting a bit crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Taxes and bullshit. Go ask an aussie how he feels about his prices.

Do you really think Arena Net or NCSoft just descided theyd make the game more expensive for European players just for the hell of it? Its a problem with the politics, not the developers or publishers.
    Then I guess companies like Blizzard, EA, Valve.. have some secret pact with the EU not to pay these taxes?

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    Not sure where you are from, but in the UK around 10 years ago games were £20-30 new. Console games also were the same as PC games.
    Around 6 years ago consoles games went up to £40 making them £10 more than PC games.
    Slowly PC games have caught up with consoles and new PC games can be up to £40 with console games reaching £50 for some titles.

Its just getting a bit crazy.
    I'm in the UK and I've been consistently buying AAA PC games on release for £25-30 since I switched to PC in the mid 90s. The only PC games I've seen reach £40 are the Modern Warfare games, which seem to have their own special price bracket because the fans will buy whatever shit they churn out each year no matter how bad or how pricey.

Anyway, if you adjust for inflation, games have gotten cheaper. £30 in the mid 90s is worth about £50 in today's market.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh;
    Yes, and in other words, the amount we pay for electronic goods is absoluetly fucked.
    I have just spoken with my neighborhood EB Games shop -
    preordered CE is 199.00 AUD

That settles it for me going to get digital deluxe and spend "saved" cash on microtransactions lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Just out of curiosity, any particular place you're looking at the Swedish pricing?
    Same could anybody tell us this if this is not the case simply VPN and save 10 euros done.

And yes before you ask im cheap but im dutch so im allowed to be cheap :P

Quote Originally Posted by guser View Post
    pc games here cost 45€ with box!
    last game i bought was gta4 pc for 45€ which included a big poster map, some papers, the plastic box and 2 dvds.. the online price should be cheaper 5€ minimum!

f*cking greedy pigs
    Two problems with your logic, main one being that your assuming that its cheaper to pay for bandwidth of having everyone download x GBs for your game then the price of cardboard, a piece of plastic, and shipping costs as you like to put it, I am looking at a 100 spindle of CDs at retial price with retial mark up which includes paying employees, shiping, electric bills, and all that good jazz, for $12, which means before retail markup the producer of the CDs charged the retail store $4-6, which included all the shiping, electric bills, employees, cost of maintaining the machines, and all that good jazz and still turning a profit... that cardboard box and piece of plastic you talk of costs pennies, doing massive bulk shipping is also pretty negligible since in most cases you charge the retailer to pay for shipping and doing shipping in bulk like that gets you huge discounts.

With that said do you really think that 10,000 copies of a game where packing costs pennies and shipping not that much either costs less then (say the game is 16GB) 160,000 GB of data and having to have a good enough bandwidth to support thousands of people wanting to download at the same time?

And to your "greedy pigs" comment, lets compare the cost of video games to say a music CD. Music CDs you have a dozen people working for months to charge $10-15 for a CD, while as video games (if you not an Indie) you have hundreds of people working for years to put out a game for $50-60... now take the cost and divide by time and amount of people involved and try saying with a straight face that game companies are greedy in comparison... $60 or45€ may sound like a lot but it is actually cheaper then it use to be if you account for inflation, please try to remember that 1.00 now is not the same as 1.00 even 6 years ago let alone 15 years ago.

Edit:
    Pong in 1975 cost $99... today if you account for inflation thats $417...
    Sonic 2 on Genisis in 1992 $50... today after inflation that would be $80.75

.... just be glade that game prices did not raise at the rate of inflation, specially if you compare amount of people working on a game over time, amount of content, etc, you would be looking at spending multiple hundreds per game if you account inflation, man power, and amount of average content.
    Last edited by Hockeyhacker; 2012-03-16 at 08:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    this is the kind of thing I think people should get pissed off about and do something about. As long as people allow it to happen politicians and governments will continue to do it. Gas prices, entertainment, and household bills are all things people just bend over and take it with little more than "This don't sit right with me man." If people put the effort into getting pissed off about these types of things as they did when they thought they were going to lose the internet (SOPA, ACTA) then companies wouldn't rape your paychecks like this.

On topic. I do think it is extremely messed up that I pay less than my gamer friends in other countries for the same product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Deleted
    Care to explain why the UK pays 30% extra on Digital editions and 37% extra on CE then?
    Standard Edition: $59.99, £49.99
    UK VAT: 20%
    $59.99 = ~£38 (£38.1578)
    £38 * 1.2 = £45.6
    49.99 / 45.6 = ~1.1
    Difference: 10%

Digital Deluxe: $79.99, £64.99
    UK VAT = 20%
    $79.99 = ~£51 (£50.8538)
    £51 * 1.2 = £61.2
    64.99 / 61.2= ~1.06
    Difference: 6%

Collector's Edition: $149.99, £129.99
    $149.99 = ~£95 (£95.3844)
    £95 * 1,2 = £114
    129.99 / 114 = ~1.14
    Difference: 14%

The UK pays 10% more than the US (based on a taxation equivalent to the UK for US purchasers) for the stadard edition (digital), 6% more for the digital deluxe edition, and 14% more for collector's edition. Not quite as much as the numbers you cited.

As for why, I can't say. I'm an author, not an economist. Nor do I know much about taxations and sales in the UK. But looking at the numbers, the differences are nominal.
    Last edited by mmoc10ec13b383; 2012-03-16 at 09:09 AM.

Standard Edition: $59.99, £49.99
    $59.99 = ~£38 (£38.1578)
    £38 * 1.2 = £45.6
    49.99 / 45.6 = ~1.1
    Difference: 10%

Digital Deluxe: $79.99, £64.99
    UK VAT = 20%
    $79.99 = ~£51 (£50.8538)
    £51 * 1.2 = £61.2
    64.99 / 61.2= ~1.06
    Difference: 6%

Collector's Edition: $149.99, £129.99
    $149.99 = ~£95 (£95.3844)
    £95 * 1,2 = £114
    129.99 / 114 = ~1.14
    Difference: 14%

The UK pays 10% more than the US (based on a taxation equivalent to the UK for US purchasers) for the stadard edition (digital), 6% more for the digital deluxe edition, and 14% more for collector's edition. Not quite as much as the numbers you cited.

As for why, I can't say. I'm an author, not an economist. Nor do I know much about taxations and sales in the UK. But looking at the numbers, the differences are nominal.
    Really not sure what you're getting at here. You initially requoted something that explained why prices would be 20% extra, I replied asking why the UK prices were 30% and 37% higher instead of the 20% that was explained. Figuring out what the % difference is after VAT is added doesn't answer my question (and the reason your figures are lower is because you added VAT to the US price and then made the comparisson), it just reinforces that the prices are more expensive for no apparent reason.

Deleted
    Really not sure what you're getting at here. You initially requoted something that explained why prices would be 20% extra, I replied asking why the UK prices were 30% and 37% higher instead of the 20% that was explained. Figuring out what the % difference is after VAT is added doesn't answer my question (and the reason your figures are lower is because you added VAT to the US price and then made the comparisson), it just reinforces that the prices are more expensive for no apparent reason.
    If you're asking why the price isn't +20% across the board, the simple answer is because not every country has the same amount of Value Added Tax. Here in Sweden, for example, we have 25% VAT. In the UK, it's 20%. The US prices are listed with 0% VAT, with taxes being added at the time of purchase depending on state of residency. If someone in the US purchases the game in a state which has a 20% tax (in order to make an efficient comparison with the base cost plus taxes in the UK), once can easily compare the two final prices after that. The difference in cost, or as you asked what the UK customers pay more, is that very difference. You can't compare the cost of one thing with added taxes, against another thing without taxes. It's like comparing how deep a pool is compared to a sink.

I'm not sure why you think I should be able to explain exactly why the cost is slightly higher, though. My guess would be to bring the cost up to the nearest £*4.99 or £*9.99 - but like I said, I'm not an economist, so if you're asking me to explain something beyond what I've quoted, that may be asking the impossible.